View Full Version : Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2005

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

Jesse Parsh
August 29th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Got it to work, thanks for the quick responses. My movie is saved from failure.

Mike Teutsch
August 29th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Got it to work, thanks for the quick responses. My movie is saved from failure.

Just an added note.

I made the avi files in several different ways, (1) render to avi, (2)export to avi, and (3)export to avi with the setting set very high. I found that the rendered movie is the largest by far. The render to avi is uncompressed, and probably the highest quality.

Mike

Eric Brown
August 29th, 2005, 08:53 PM
I remember reading an article about someone who took 60i footage and converted it to 60p for a slightly slo-mo look. I believe he used After Effects. Is this just a de-interlacing issue and if so would there be any image/movement issues to contend with?
I know I've seen this article before I just can't remember where.

Pete Bauer
August 29th, 2005, 09:18 PM
Eric,
I've moved your post over to the Premiere forum for better exposure; really wasn't specific to the XL2. There are quite a few threads discussing slow motion using various applications, but I don't think I found the one that you're looking for.

Christopher Lefchik
August 30th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Perhaps you are referring to stretching 60i video by 200%? That would effectively give you one individual field per frame, instead of two fields per frame. In other words it would be 60p, although since the source was 60i the quality wouldn't be spectacular. Just make sure frame blending in After Effects is turned off. (If you change the speed to anything other than 200%, then turn frame blending on.)

Eric Brown
August 30th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Perhaps you are referring to stretching 60i video by 200%? That would effectively give you one individual field per frame, instead of two fields per frame. In other words it would be 60p, although since the source was 60i the quality wouldn't be spectacular. Just make sure frame blending in After Effects is turned off. (If you change the speed to anything other than 200%, then turn frame blending on.)

That sounds about right from what I remember of the article. As far as quality goes it seemed nice and smooth without any noticeable quality loss.
Then again, we're talking a 5" inch screen in Quicktime.
Thanks for the info!

Pete Bauer
August 31st, 2005, 12:39 AM
Bump.

Marlon has asked a very similar question in the XL2 forum:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?p=352946

so I'm pointing that thread to this one. Anyone who has experience pulling 60i footage into 24fps timelines using either 24pN and 24pA, please step in!

Adam Bray
August 31st, 2005, 12:42 AM
If I want to add new fonts to PPro, where do I put the files? PPro does not appear to share the same fonts with Windows. So putting them in the Windows font folder does no good.

thanks.

Christopher Lefchik
August 31st, 2005, 07:46 AM
Adam,

Premiere Pro does draw fonts from the Windows font folder, in addition to a font folder shared by Adobe applications. Make sure you are viewing all the fonts in the Adobe Title Designer window font list. There should be an entry labeled "More" third from the top of the font list.

Hugh DiMauro
August 31st, 2005, 09:23 AM
How do I crop stills/freeze frames in Premiere Pro 1.5 without distorting the image? When I used Vegas, I could crop any frame to any size and shape and the image would remain perfect. But with Premiere Pro, when I try to crop, the image "squishes" or stretches out. How do I prevent that? I have been banging my head against the wall trying to figure it out?

The owner's manual said to hold down the shift key and drag the side but the image still distorted. What am I doing wrong?

By the way, the help section in the software did not help.

Ryan Graham
August 31st, 2005, 09:29 AM
This is the sort of thing that Twixtor for After Effects was made for. In fact, I think ReVision FX has a tutorial for this on their website.

Good luck,
Ryan

Eric Brown
August 31st, 2005, 10:21 AM
Okay, found it in another thread

http://rarevision.com/articles/slow_motion.php#

Eric Brown
August 31st, 2005, 10:33 AM
Okay, found it in another thread

http://rarevision.com/articles/slow_motion.php#

Clint Comer
August 31st, 2005, 02:57 PM
Can you render out a reference movie out a of premiere? I have read about the concept; on other boards. I just haven't seen the option. Thanks.

Andrew Wenum
August 31st, 2005, 04:46 PM
Have a big green screen I ordered and here is an image I tested to just get some basics down with doing green screening in premiere and AE. http://img385.imageshack.us/my.php?image=test3sj.png

I took it into AE and I was having trouble getting it to work right (still kind of a beginner). So I went back to Premiere Pro and dropped in the Green Screen Filter in Keys and It worked pretty well but its like low opacity on it still and the image I put in behind it was dark because in the green screen it didnt get rid of everything so it was just darker and it looks liek this.http://img46.imageshack.us/my.php?image=test28bh.png

What should I do to fix this? I know I didnt have the best lightning when we did the green screen shot and we have 2 theatre lights that were goign to use to make it extremely bright so there is no shadows. Will that change the outcome of the post production? Or do I need to do something in Premiere to get the full quality of using the green screen. Help would be much appreciated. THanks in advance.

-Andrew.

Christopher Lefchik
August 31st, 2005, 04:49 PM
So far as I know that is only an option for QuickTime movies. But I believe you may be able to frameserve out of Premiere Pro, which might do what you need. Search the forum for frameserve.

Steven Gotz
August 31st, 2005, 07:38 PM
You made the similarity way too high a number is my guess. This first pic is a frame grab after using Premiere Pro. I applied three separate chroma keys to make up for the really poor lighting and the fact that there is a lot of green in the pants. I wasted about ten minutes trying to get this done, including using a sixteen point garbage matte to make it easier.

http://www.stevengotz.com/images/greentest.jpg

As you can see, I hot a little bored and lazy since I knew how easy it was going to be in After Effects.

This second one is from After Effects 6.5 Pro using Keylight. This took 2 minutes.

http://www.stevengotz.com/images/greentest2.jpg

Andrew Wenum
August 31st, 2005, 08:21 PM
You made the similarity way too high a number is my guess. This first pic is a frame grab after using Premiere Pro. I applied three separate chroma keys to make up for the really poor lighting and the fact that there is a lot of green in the pants. I wasted about ten minutes trying to get this done, including using a sixteen point garbage matte to make it easier.

http://www.stevengotz.com/images/greentest.jpg

As you can see, I hot a little bored and lazy since I knew how easy it was going to be in After Effects.

This second one is from After Effects 6.5 Pro using Keylight. This took 2 minutes.

http://www.stevengotz.com/images/greentest2.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to do that. I'll try doing what you mentioned with the Keylight plugin. There is nothing standard in AE that works like the greentest that comes with premiere though? I would have thought AE would come standard with something along the lines of green/blue screen but there all manual filters and its hard to work with thoughs.

Mike Wham
August 31st, 2005, 08:26 PM
Hello again,
In Premiere 6.5, I have assembled about 25 minutes of footage on the timeline.
When I try to export an DV AVI file, only 18 minutes gets exported..
I have made sure the work area encompassed all of the video clips, made sure everything was rendered, checked to see if there was blank space on the hardrive, set it to export the entire project, not just the work area. Pretty much everything and then some. Any ideas?

John DeLuca
August 31st, 2005, 10:12 PM
Adobie media encoder vs. canopus express procoder plugin for ppro.

From what I can tell, the encoders compress about the same speed. Colors seem brighter from canopus, but in some shots the adobie encoder looked sharper. Anyone else have the above encoders and want to throw in a review.......

John

Rob Williams
September 1st, 2005, 12:12 AM
Is the file system your exporting into NTFS or FAT32. I think FAT32 will limit your file size.

Jimmy McKenzie
September 1st, 2005, 04:01 AM
Resizing using the effect controls window allows for aspect ratio control. The other method is to apply the crop filter and adjust using the sliders or numeric controls in the effect control window.

For ultimate control over your stills, this is best acomplished in Photoshop.

Jesse Parsh
September 1st, 2005, 07:51 AM
Are you trying to keep the whole picture but just make it smaller, or are you looking to black out part of the picture?

Jesse Parsh
September 1st, 2005, 07:54 AM
My media encoder through Adobe will not register so I've been using Cucusoft.
I did not know that Canopus works as a plugin for PP. So if I get Canopus it will work inside PP 1.5? I know that you had a question and now I'm asking a question, sorry about that.

Mike Wham
September 1st, 2005, 08:52 AM
Ah that must be it. My external harddrive is FAT32.

Thank you,

Mike Wham

Edit: It works great! Thanks!

John DeLuca
September 1st, 2005, 09:30 AM
http://store.adobe.com/store/products/master.jhtml?id=catPlugins_Can_ProCoder

Jesse, im starting to think the plugin is less powerful than the full version. Im almost sure someone said the full version does up to three passes. From what I can tell the plugin only does two max.

John

Yvon Muc
September 1st, 2005, 10:32 AM
I have some digital video which I'm pretty sure is 30p. When I open it in windows media player say, it shows up 'normal' looking (no jagged lines) on my computer monitor. I have brought this video into premier 7, I click on export>adobe media encoder>I make sure it is set to progressive video, and that it isn't trying to de-interlace it. Then when I watch the exported video in windows media player, it has all the jagged edges as if it were interlaced.

I've tried different project settings, and different export settings.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Pete Bauer
September 1st, 2005, 11:37 AM
If the footage was progessive from start to finish, there's no way it could show interlace artifact. That makes me think that the original clip is actually 60i.

The more recent versions of WMP can de-interlace on the fly to avoid visible combing artifact. Not sure if it displays interlaced video fields sequentially, or actually de-interlaces to frames, but I'm guessing the former and for these purposes it probably doesn't matter.

If the footage was originally interlaced and then output progressive, it is possible that the original interlacing was processed into progressive frames -- which of course then would show interlacing artifacts when displayed as 30p footage because the fields are combined into a single progessive frame...essentially "hard-wired" into both fields.

Try exporting the original timeline using interlaced settings, and if it looks normal in WMP, I'll bet that the above is what's going on.

Yvon Muc
September 1st, 2005, 12:25 PM
oops... I guess you were right, WMP auto-detinterlaces... I opened the original files in VLC and it showed up with the interlaced jagged edges (as long as it was set no to de-interlace). the thing is, that before I posted here, I tried treating it as interlaced within premier and it still came out wrong... but that could be because there seems to be about 5 different places where you speficy between interlaced or progressive, so maybe I missed one.

Anyway now that I know what the original video is, I'll give it another try and it will probably work.

Thanks, for your help.

James Emory
September 1st, 2005, 12:28 PM
I have noticed that Premiere will render audio tracks, by command, that do not have any filters added to them. Why is this? I have a theory that it will do this if you make any adjustments to the bands, in other words ANY alterations/adjustments to the native file. Is this the case? I have also noticed that if you choose not to render the tracks, assuming no filters were added, it doesn't make a difference in playback or export. So why would it allow you to render audio if you chose to, if it's not necessary (doesn't show an obvious difference)? We all know that if video is not rendered we get the default image/message not yet rendered. It seems like the rendered preview files are just taking up extra space for no reason if they aren't noticeably changing audio on playback or export.

Jesse Parsh
September 1st, 2005, 03:04 PM
I just got Canopus and it says that I need a Dongle before I use it. I would'nt think that the plugin would be less than the actual program, I thought they were the same thing. What do I know, I'm still learning the ropes around here.

John DeLuca
September 1st, 2005, 03:49 PM
Jesse

The full version is $500(procoder2.0). A big difference in price when compaired to the $60 plug in. I just encoded a wedding last night and from what I can tell the colors pop ALOT better than adobie. It is strange that one in ten shots on average looks soft compaired to adobie when running the same manual compression settings.

John

Mel Davies
September 2nd, 2005, 10:04 AM
I'm used to using vegas as my main editor, but there is a transition in prem that is not in vegas, so my usage of prem is limited.
I have stills on the time line with a transition between them. I want to shorten the stills, but when a right click on the event to adjust its duration a gap occurs and the transition has disappeared. I could put all the clips on again with the transitions, but there must be a way of correcting the event length - but I can't seem to find it!
Anyone help please.

(reading through the manual is a much too long winded job)

Thanks Mel.

John DeLuca
September 2nd, 2005, 10:06 AM
No export workarea bar option! From what I can tell, you can't export smaller clips with the workarea bar in canopus. That is a huge drawback for overall workflow.

John

John DeLuca
September 2nd, 2005, 10:37 AM
Correction........ It exports just the workarea bar. With adobie you have export entire sequence or workarea bar options. My bad, im new to this plugin myself.

John

Mark Light
September 2nd, 2005, 01:44 PM
how are you able to use premiere pro to capture from the GR-HD1/JYHD camera?>

Hugh DiMauro
September 3rd, 2005, 08:11 AM
Looking to black out part of the picture.

Jesse Parsh
September 3rd, 2005, 10:56 AM
You can't adjust your length with the transition applied. When you right click are you selecting "speed/duration"? All you have to do is hold the arrow over the cut point and a little symble will pop up. Just drag over and that will adjust your clip length. You will need to reapply the transition though, but that is just drag and drop so it should not be a big deal.

Trond Saetre
September 3rd, 2005, 01:25 PM
You can use the Ripple Edit tool.
Keyboard shortcut "B"
That will work with the transition applied also.

Jimmy McKenzie
September 3rd, 2005, 03:25 PM
Sounds to me that you're crafting a montage of still photos. To do this quickly, set your still duration for the amount of frames you would like in the preferences section. Then, import 'em all into a bin. Add them to the timeline. Here's where it gets quick: Set the transition you want as the default transition. If you are really crafty you can assign one of the F buttons as a custom keyboard shortcut for "default transition".

Now you only need to smash away at 2 buttons to add a thousand transitions in about 2 minutes. Hit your page down key followed by your shortcut key to apply the transition. Repeat. Be sure your target track that contains the stills is selected.

Also, you can try "automate to timeline" after you have set your favorite transition as default. This way Premiere will dump an entire bin into the timeline at the set still duration with the default transition. Real quick!

Ronald Lee
September 4th, 2005, 03:48 AM
Has anyone noticed that when you take a frame from your source video and make it a still for "freeze frame" effects, or if you superimpose titles on your video, that it darkens the image for the duration of the title/still?

Why does it do that and is there any way around that?

Hugh DiMauro
September 4th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Is it normal for Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 to re-render already rendered segments from other sequences when you nest those pre-rendered sequences into your final sequnce timeline?

Ronnie Murtagh
September 4th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Hi

I captured analog video with ADS DVD Express onto Pinnacle Studio Plus.Saved to Disk, then tried to load it into Premiere Elements.... but when loading media it just locks. I tried naming the captured video... .mov / .wmv / .avi / MPEG-1 / MPEG-2 / MPEG-3 / MPEG -4 but to no avail will it load into Premiere Elements.
I have wasted at least 10 to 12 hours over the weekend.

The captured video plays great through WINDOWS MEDIA .... any help please....put me out of misery....

Thanks

Ronnie

Chris Colin Swanson
September 4th, 2005, 04:18 PM
I had the same problem a while back with some mpegs in Adobe that had been captured in one of the Pinacles. I could play them in windows media or real player just fine but every time I loaded Elements it froze the program. If I remember correctly after trying many things I just rebooted the computer and I can load them fine now. I think a program hadn't closed properly and was causing the error. Did you try rebooting?

Ronnie Murtagh
September 4th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Hi Chris

Thanks for answering, Yes I rebooted and Shut down computer several time.. The Captured Video is about 35 minutes if that helps.

Thanks again

Ronnie

Christopher Lefchik
September 4th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Yes. And just to let you know, you don't have to render those segments before you nest them. You can just leave them unrendered, nest them in the main sequence, and then only render the main sequence. Of course, if you open up one of those nested sequences they would still show the red bar, as they were only rendered in the main sequence. However, it is a way to save time if you don't need each child sequence rendered for export on it's own.

Christopher Lefchik
September 4th, 2005, 08:38 PM
I haven't noticed that in my editing.

Ed Resuello
September 5th, 2005, 02:06 PM
I copied a DVD onto my hard drive.
I was able to use the ‘add media’ in Premiere Elements (vers. 1.0) to recognize the file. The file is an mpeg movie.
When I view the mpeg in the monitor window as a ‘clip’ the file is great – good video & audio.
However when I view the file in ‘timeline’ there is no sound.

At first, the video was too fast, but was perfect after rending.
I’ve read many of the previous posts that seem similar. Unlike some of those solutions suggesting disconnecting a camcorder unit, there is no camcorder or dv camcorder attached.
I’ve checked that the sound is enabled, increased the gain, and checked the source audio format (48000 hz -bit – stereo), and the conform audio format (48000 hz – 32 bit floating point – stereo).
I’ve also unlinked the video and audio, then added the audio to the timeline just to hear if any audio comes through – and it doesn’t.
When checking the audio meter, no sound registers at all.
The strange thing is that when I play the ‘clip’ in the monitor window, the file plays perfectly.
What am I missing?

Leonard Van Gelder
September 5th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Hello, I'm currently having have an issue with 24PA footage in Widescreen (From Panasonic 24p), where anytime I apply ANY effect, slow down the footage, or use exported Filmstrips in the timeline, that they completely lose Widescreen and become 4:3 in the final exported product. All the unaltered footage remains in widescreen but when you get to an altered segment it immedietely drops down. I've tried exporting the Filmstrip in all different ratios, I cannot make a difference, and I can't find any settings that will alter the aspect ratio when I alter the duration of a clip, nor can I find any settings that would alter the ratio on an effect. Is this common? I'm actually quite new to 24P and Widescreen so I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Or is this possible a bug? I have not upgraded to the 1.5.2 or whatever the patch was yet since I heard it has a greater system demands than I currently have.

Rob Lohman
September 6th, 2005, 06:12 AM
Hi Ed. Most editing programs (I'm pretty sure that includes Premiere) cannot
read AC3 (dolby digital) encoded audio. They can only create it. It can also
be they are not seeing the audio stream (if it isn't AC3) due to the way the
elementary streams get muxed into the same file.

Look (Google for example) for a tool called bbTools. This allows you te de-mux
the .VOB file into its elementary streams. You will get a video file (.m2v) and
an audio file (can be AC3, dts or PCM for example). If the audio is PCM (or WAV)
you can load that up into Premiere. If it is AC3 or dts you will need to decode
it first. Let us know how far you get.