View Full Version : Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2005

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43

Joshua Provost
December 16th, 2005, 12:16 AM
Christopher,

Nice test. I'm a long-time (long, long-time) Premiere user. It just bugs me that you have to reverse engineer the scopes to figure out what's going on. And I've seen video with illegal blacks and super whites go below 0 and above 100. Would be nice if they took that Setup checkbox out. Not sure what purpose it serves.

Anyway, we got way off the original topic. Whoops.

Josh

Christopher Lefchik
December 16th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Would be nice if they took that Setup checkbox out. Not sure what purpose it serves.

The option to display black on the waveform with or without 7.5 IRE setup was a user requested feature after Premiere Pro 1 was released. I believe Premiere Pro 1's waveform may have displayed the video with blacks at 7.5 IRE (perhaps an effort to keep those editors who were used to the analog world from messing up their DV video? Should the waveform have displayed black at 0 IRE, I can imagine an analog editor seeing his blacks at 0 IRE and raising them all to 7.5). But there was griping on the Adobe Premiere Pro User to User forum about the default, and so the switch was added in Premiere Pro 1.5.

In any case, the option only changes how blacks are displayed on the waveform. It doesn't change the video signal itself in any way. Personally, I'd rather have the option than not have it. The more customization options, the better.

James Sidney
December 16th, 2005, 04:13 PM
I'm looking at purchasing an audio hardware controller that will allow me to adjust volume/pan/eq manually:

http://www.behringer.com/BCF2000/index.cfm?lang=ENG

I'm confident it will work with Audition, but can anyone tell me if it will work in Premiere 1.5.1?

Failing that, is there a way to open up the audio tracks from Premiere in Audition in multi-track view, not as an exported audio from video file.

Thanks,

James

James Emory
December 16th, 2005, 05:52 PM
I have had no issues with Premiere 6.5 and have used the export movie feature many times with no issues until last night. I had successfully created several Quicktime files and shutdown for the night. Today when going back in and choosing export movie, Premiere just crashed with that Do you want to report errors message. I figured it was just a typical freeze up and after restarting Premiere it would work again. So I restarted Premeire and tried it again the same thing happened. Then I restarted my PC and it happened again. After several attempts, I decided it was time to do the inevitable, uninstall and then reinstall Premiere. I did that hoping it was the fix. It wasn't. It still crashes when choosing export movie. Is there a recent issue that I should know about? I am able to open and use the MPEG encoder and Windows Media Encoder just fine but I need the export movie feature bad. Help!

James Emory
December 16th, 2005, 11:47 PM
Well, I can't believe it. Just before I was about to give up, I found a few posts on the Adobe Premiere board about this issue of receiving an error screen and then shutdown when trying to use the export movie option. Apparently, it is also happpening when using the MPEG export option as well. After uninstalling and reinstalling Premiere, which didn't work, I found that the fix is to simply press and hold CTRL and Shift together while opening/loading Premiere. This will reset Premiere and you will lose all settings and preferences but the export movie option will work again! :)

James Emory
December 17th, 2005, 12:01 AM
While looking for the fix to my problem with the export movie settings, I also found that there is a patch from Windows that should fix the MPEG option issue XP SP2 users. If these links don't resolve in the future, just perform a search with the update code below at the last address.

Update: KB886716

www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?pocId=&freetext=KB886716&DisplayLang=en

www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c06cb61d-4377-4ee5-979d-495febeef95c&DisplayLang=en

www.microsoft.com/downloads

Mathieu Ghekiere
December 17th, 2005, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the replies.
I indeed knew that I could select them together with ALT or CTRL, but as Pat Sherman said, it seems there is no way in PPro to do it over the complete timeline BEFORE you edit your clips.

It's one of the reasons why I'll be switching over to Avid soon.
Still thanks for the replies!

Alex Boojor
December 18th, 2005, 02:10 AM
thnx for the help

James Emory
December 19th, 2005, 02:53 PM
I forgot to mention how ridiculous it is that Adobe has not included in their list of known issues the method that I managed to luckily find and use? Is it not enough that they are using their customers for free R&D on their board and they can't even post fixes in their known issues list to keep from having to sift through all those posts on their board?

Wes Coughlin
December 21st, 2005, 05:19 PM
I would transfer 60i to 24p using magic bullet or some other 3rd party plug-in. For me i fell akward mixing 24p footage ino a 30fps timline; even though you can, i just dont like the repeated frames it gives you when you dont remove the pulldown from the 24p.

Hugh DiMauro
December 22nd, 2005, 09:12 AM
Does anybody know, for certain, if PPro 1.5.1 will play nice with the new Panasonic HVX 200 and the DVC Pro HD codec? Will I need additional capture hardware?

Mo Zee
December 22nd, 2005, 09:52 AM
found the problem- it's from checking my canopus "microsoft compatible" in the capture settings. maybe this explains why the footage is clean during capture, but has glitches when playing back the file. no problem when capturing using my built-in firewire. no wonder another production house had no trouble with my footage. i still can't explain why all's ok when using the xl2 for capturing.

my new question is- it seems that premiere stores the clip's codec because when i recapture using batch capture (which was microsoft dv) the new canopus dv file won't link. would there be a workaround short of making new offline clips?

thanks.

Carl White
December 22nd, 2005, 10:45 AM
I have been a user of Premiere 6.5 and am seriously thinking about upgrading to PPro 1.5. In addition, my older Sony TRV340 has died and I need to replace it. I am looking at 3-4 camcorders from Panasonic, Canon, JVC and Sony - none of which are on the "supported hardware" list for Adobe 6.5 or PPro 1.5. So, can anyone tell me for certain if the following camcorders work with Pro 1.5: Panasonic PV-GS400; Canon GL-2; JVC GR-X5US and Sony DCR-H1000.

I know there's bound to be a bunch of pros/cons about each of the camcorders and I'll look at that but right now my primary concern is will they work with Premiere. Otherwise, I'm thinking it may be time to look at other software - if so, would Vegas work with any of these devices?

Thanks for any help.

Carl

Jean-Francois Robichaud
December 22nd, 2005, 12:24 PM
PPro certainly works with the GL2. It is actually in the list of supported camcorders. I doubt any of these other cameras would have problems with PPro. Even if not specifically in the list, it would probably work with the generic DV camcorder setting, but it's better to be sure I guess.

Mark Williams
December 22nd, 2005, 05:18 PM
Carl,

I too was looking at upgrading from 6.5 to pro. I downloaded the trial and used it for a couple of weeks. It seemed quite different to me than 6.5 and I just couldn't get comfortable with it. Learning new NLE software is not easy for me. Of course others will say that pro is a vast improvement and IMO it does have some neat features. I guess it really comes down to what type editing you do. For me, I would gain just a little additional capability.

I decided to stay with 6.5 because I mostly use disolves, cuts, some titles and that's basically it. No fancy stuff. Of course if you are moving up to HD, HDV or DVCPRO50 then that's another issue and staying in the upgrade path might also an important consideration.

Regards,

Mark

Carlos Rodriguez
December 22nd, 2005, 05:23 PM
which dvcpro hd codecs are you using?

PPro 1.5.1 I'm sure is only written with cineform codecs for HDV, therefore providing acceleration only for those formats. It's worth a shot though, I know HD's been dumped into premiere.

Might wanna have a looksee at prospectHD by cineform.

love peace and chicken grease

Chris Barcellos
December 22nd, 2005, 06:41 PM
I am a former 6.5 user. I stepped up to PP 1.51 because of addition of HD. I have to believe that anything 6.5 supported would be supported by PP. It works with my FX1, in the DV mode, or HD mode, my VX2k as well as older cameras. I have the Panosonic GS 120, and it uploads fine. Most of my DV material actually goes through an cheap Sharp WD250u I bought refurbished and use as a deck to upload DV material. I ve never had problems 1.51 in using any of those to up load DV to edit.

I think Premiere users can adapt more easily to PP 1.51, than say learning Vegas. I am trying that, but keep going back to PP if I am in a hurry.

Chris Barcellos

Roy Bemelmans
December 23rd, 2005, 04:54 AM
Does Premiere Pro's HDV plugin offer native HDV editing or does it use a digital intermediate?

Hugh DiMauro
December 23rd, 2005, 08:13 AM
I will look into that, comrade! Thank you. I know it takes HDV but I think we're all trying to get away from that because of the long GOP and frame by frame editing issues. DVC PRO HD seems to be the way to go.

Carl White
December 23rd, 2005, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the help. I feel reasonably confident that whichever camera I end up deciding on it will work with Premier (either 6.5 or Pro 1.5). Now, the hard part - choosing the camcorder. I've at least pretty much narrowed it down to either the Canon GL2 or Panasonic GS400.

Carl

Mark Williams
December 23rd, 2005, 10:59 AM
Carl,

I have owned the GL2 and use the Pany GS400 at work. Both are really good cams. However, my personal cam now is the Pany DVC30. There is a lot of imformation on all three cams on this forum as well as at camcorderinfo.com. I really don't think you could go wrong with any of them. It might just come down to which one feels right in your hands.

Regards,

Mark

Carl White
December 23rd, 2005, 12:24 PM
No, I don't want to start a "war" of which one is better. What is going to be difficult for me is of the camcorders I was initially interested in NONE of them are available where I live. This is really irritating with the GL2 and GS400 (my two top choices). I'm hoping I can work out something with a mail order/internet supplier to grant me a right to exchange my 1st pick (whichever that is) for my 2nd choice without incurring a re-stocking fee. At least it's comforting to know either should work with my Adobe Premiere which I have grown reasonably comfortable with.

Thanks again for the help.

Carl

Jim Gunn
December 23rd, 2005, 05:29 PM
Premiere should be abble to work with footage shot wiith any mini-DV camcorder, BUT, there are a few known issues with capturing for example. For one, Canon XL-1 users like me used to have their audio go out of sync with the video when capturing with Pemiere 6.5, (not sure about Pro). In any case I used Scenalyzer Live when I had this problem two yeras ago to capture mini-DV footage, and also to make capturing two seperate audio channels simultaneously possible which Premiere Pro 1.5 still cannot do. At this point I would never capture without Scenalyzer Live for myriad reasons.

Carl White
December 23rd, 2005, 05:45 PM
Interesting...I hadn't run into that when capturing from my now defunct Sony TRV340. Guess time will tell with my new camcorder. Thanks for the tip - I will definitely keep it in mind.

Carl

Carlos Rodriguez
December 23rd, 2005, 07:54 PM
Avid also works with dvcproHD on the pc platform, as well as I believe Canopus. Good luck, let us know if you find anything out.

Carlos Rodriguez
December 23rd, 2005, 07:56 PM
it uses the cineform intermediate codec. But it does not allow as good acceleration as Aspect HD. But it does work.

Alex Filacchione
December 24th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Audio hardware controllers use MIDI to control the audio program. AFAIK *only* Vegas allows MIDI control.

However, recently I found a free program that can convert incoming MIDI signals into keystrokes (incl. Ctrl, alt, etc.). AFAIK it's for windows only. I downloaded it the other day, but have not yet installed it, though I should since I have a Roland SI-24 control surface, and using it's transport controls for controlling Premiere, etc. would definitely com in handy.

Well, actually it is nag-ware. IOW it's free, but there is a registration reminder upon startup, very much like WinZip. If you like it and want to get rid of the nag screen, then it's 29 Euros to register.

Here is the link (take a look at the examples page and you'll notice that controlling Premiere is in the examples)

http://www.bome.com/midi/translator/

I'd love to know how it works out for you as I have not yet installed it and tried it out...

Alex F

Alex Filacchione
December 24th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Is there a way to set up Premiere Pro such that when I capture video it automatically breaks down the file into smaller segments? For example, when I capture an hour long DV video with Avid Xpress Pro it will automatically break that capture down into ~6 2Gig files. Within Avid it all looks like one large file. The reason for this is the file size limit for archiving, and DVD size.

If I want to backup my captures with Avid to DVD, I can burn the clips to about 3 DVDs with each one having 2 of the 2Gig files. I don't have to burn the DVD to UDF format, since the file size is just under the limit (if files are just over I think 2.1 or 2.2 gigs, you cannot burn them to a *data* DVD for archiving unless you format the disk w/ the UDF file system).

As it is right now, I have a 12+Gig video capture file. I think that currently the only way that I can burn it to DVD for backup purposes is to rar up the file into multiple rar files, each with segment sizes 2Gig or less.

I'd like to avoid that from the get-go if possible.

Thanks,

Alex F

Christopher Lefchik
December 24th, 2005, 04:03 PM
If you turn on scene detection in Premiere Pro during capture, a new video clip will be created for each scene. Other than that, there is no way to split clips in Premiere Pro.

If you have Premiere Pro 1.5, there is the Project Trimmer that can reduce a project's size to just the portions of the clips that were used. It can also create an off lined project file, which you could use to recapture the footage from the original tapes should you ever need to access the project again.

Alex Filacchione
December 24th, 2005, 06:33 PM
OK. I guess I will have to rar up the files in order to archive them to disk. I will also make an offlined project file as well and save that too.

Thanks.

Alex F

Andreas Rylander
December 24th, 2005, 07:14 PM
I am currently working in post in Premiere Pro 1.5 with a project, and first I noticed small orange dots occuring all over an image, in random places, differently placed in every frame. I thought the program had gone bonkers over some filters or whatever so I turned them all off to see, and the dots werer gone... or so I thought... I stepped a few frames and there they were again!

I recently updated my Geforce 7800 gtx to the latest official Nvidia drivers, could that be it? Anyone else had similar problems?

Christopher Lefchik
December 24th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Sure, you're welcome!

Saturnin Kondratiew
December 25th, 2005, 11:50 PM
i foudn a work around...your search should have found it: here it is:

in premiere 1.5 u can capture both, but wichever timeline u capture through, be it 60i or 24 one, the other footage will be poo pooed up.

example(premiere 1.5)
24timeline: capturing 24 footage is fine, but when captureing 60i footage on the 24 timeline it wants to render the footage after u captured it(wich is normal). But after u render the footage its very choppy and just not watchable. The same thing goes if u do it the other way.

Now, the reason you put CC(color correction is so when u render the footage it comes out fine). I"ve tested this to death, if u dont add slight CC or adjusting brightness, etc the footage will be choppy. I know its wierd but thats what it does. So the only way that i know how to get the footage proper is to add CC.

I'm sure the next verision of Premiere will have support for both on sametimeline, at this point this works for me and i'm sharing :D

i hope that helps

Andreas Rylander
December 26th, 2005, 06:40 AM
HAha, never mind =) I fixed it... apparently I needed a restart for some reason... don't really know what on Earth went on :/

I am currently working in post in Premiere Pro 1.5 with a project, and first I noticed small orange dots occuring all over an image, in random places, differently placed in every frame. I thought the program had gone bonkers over some filters or whatever so I turned them all off to see, and the dots werer gone... or so I thought... I stepped a few frames and there they were again!

I recently updated my Geforce 7800 gtx to the latest official Nvidia drivers, could that be it? Anyone else had similar problems?

John Marion
December 26th, 2005, 03:48 PM
I'm trying to put 4 clips on a screen. I've got each clip set to 50% and in the four corners of the screen but they overlap slightly.

This is not a problem when all four are up there at the same time but I'm flashing the four clips on at different times and before all 4 are up, you can see that they don't line up exactly.

I've tried to move the clips further to the corners by "1" in the motion editing window, but then it leaves a gap between clips. I need an exact alignment of all corners of each clip in the middle of the screen.

Can anybody help?

James Llewellyn
December 27th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Try using the Transform filter instead of the motion editing window and see if you can get better results. It does all the same but should allow you more options and does what the motion editing does.

Hugh DiMauro
December 27th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Thank You, Senior Rodroguez. My NLE of choice is PPro so I am kinda committed to that. When I buy the camera I will look into what works and let you know.

John Marion
December 27th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Thanks, I'm opening Premiere now to work on the project. I'll let you know what happens.

Matthew Nayman
December 27th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Hey, I am an adobe premiere pro 7 user who recently upgraded to 1.5.

I shot a ton of stuff on XL2 in 2:3 mode (standard), but when I capture into a 60i timeline, it is telling me the footage is 23.976 fps. That aint right. What have I done wrong? used to work perfectly in 7.

Matt

Matthew Nayman
December 27th, 2005, 10:11 PM
BTW, any help would be welcome ASAP, as I have a big project worth some serious scratch I need to finish :)

Matt

Pushpa de Silva
December 27th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Hi

It's been sorted out now. I have adjusted/make the adverts smaller so that I can put 4 adverts in one frame. The problem has disappeared after inserting smaller adverts. Earlier I have inserted one large advert in one frame...that made this error to appear.

My Computer is Dell 3GHz/ 2GB RAM / 300GB HDD / 300GB external Maxtor OneTouch II HDD. Using PremPro 1.5.1

Thanks vm.
pushpa
pushpas@hotmail.com
28 Dec 2006

John Marion
December 28th, 2005, 12:35 AM
After trial and error I found the best numbers for the task in the motion window. They are now aligned exactly. It turns out that the numbers in the motion window can be input in tenths (I thought it required whole numbers). So I was able to nudge each of the tracks just a bit until it was right.

Wes Coughlin
December 28th, 2005, 12:09 PM
are you working in a 24p project, but set into a 30fps timeline? or are you working in a regular premiere 60i project/timline?

Hugh DiMauro
December 28th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Does anybody have any firsthand experience with the deinterlacing feature on PPro 1.5.1, specifically during the final render to obtain 30p or 24p?

I ask because I need to decide if I want to just deinterlace my Sony PD170 interlaced footage or take the plunge on a 24p camera? How do the results look?

Peter Jefferson
December 29th, 2005, 05:43 AM
"which dvcpro hd codecs are you using?"

((At the moment, the oly option is an AXIO system... im not sure if matrox have added support for DVCProHD yet.. but PP on its own DOES NOT support the HVX ... at this time.. ))

"PPro 1.5.1 I'm sure is only written with cineform codecs for HDV, therefore providing acceleration only for those formats. "
((I wouldnt call it accelerations... at the moment the only HW HD acceleration/realtime board is the AXIO system... if u have 10grand for a basic AXIO setup, then your laughing... apart from that, PP only offers cineform for HDV...))

Matthew Nayman
December 29th, 2005, 11:06 AM
I am just starting a normal, 60i timeline.

The video was shot in the 2:3 mode, so it should be recognized as 29.97 footage, but ti says it's 23.976

HELP ME!

:(

Clint Comer
December 29th, 2005, 10:53 PM
First a couple of things:

1. DVD only supports one compression format that you'd want to use and that is MPEG2 indeed

2. I'm not sure if Premiere 6.5 already came with an MPEG2 export engine (think it did)

3. You are going to need an authoring application to turn the video (MPEG2) + audio (see below) into a DVD that a player understands

So I need to know if point 2 is true or not and which DVD
authoring application you have (point 3).

Now I believe most new/modern DVD authoring applications can
do the MPEG2 encoding as well and usually have a fit to disc
option where it calculates the correct bitrates to fit your movie
onto the disc.

HOWEVER, 2 hours is taxing for a DVD-R/+R to store in a good
fashion, so quality might be less than what you would like.

With MPEG2 encoding you have two options:

1. constant bitrate encoding (CBR)

2. variable bitrate encoding (VBR)

All encoders support at least CBR and most also support VBR
(usually gives better quality).

For CBR you only have one bitrate and for a 2 hour project 4.5
or 5 mbps should about fill the disc.

VBR is a bit more tricky where you usually have a minimum, average
and maximum bitrate which probably needs to be 0 - 4.5 - 7
or something in this case. These numbers may be a bit off and
as always some experimenting and checking final filesizes might
be in order!

Do NOT encode your audio as MPEG, export the audio seperately
as WAV (uncompressed PCM encoding) or PCM and load that
directly into your DVD authoring application, or use Dolby Digital
AC3 encoding for your audio if Premiere has that (doubtful for
version 6.5).

Hey Rob, this is the first time I have heard about not encoding your audio into the mpeg. Is there a reason behind that?

Miguel Lombana
December 30th, 2005, 07:01 PM
I am just starting a normal, 60i timeline.

The video was shot in the 2:3 mode, so it should be recognized as 29.97 footage, but ti says it's 23.976

HELP ME!

:(

If you shot it in 24p it's 23.97 (30p would give you 29.97), you need to load the premier project with the 24p Panasonic preset. What type of problems are you having?

Jim Lawrence
December 31st, 2005, 01:18 PM
Hi, I'm a newbie at video editing. I captured a bunch of mini-DV camcorder clips and assembled them in PP, no fancy transitions, a few time-distorted clips is the only special effect I used.

I had problems exporting to DVD, it never finished compiling.

I want a DVD-quality playback for tv viewing, not an AVI or such for computer viewing. Maybe I'm using the wrong export?

The movie plays fine in the program, no weird flags or hitches, optimal from open to close.

When I export, though, it compiles for many minutes (my system info below), then gives me an error, out of memory I think the error message was.

I used the settings suggested in Premiere Pro Editing Workshop book: high quality, NTSC, maximized bitrate NOT selected, etc, but the three times I tried to export, it hangs in mid flight. Never gets to the burn stage.

I tried different settings, such as "work area" instead of "entire sequence"; then it just said compiling error, unknown error, and wouldn't even start the compile process.

When I select "entire sequence", the record to dvd dialogue says 3.56GB needed; available on disc, 4.5GB, which is about what I would expect.

My system:

New Gateway 7326 laptop.
1.25 Gigs memory.
Pentium 4 3.06 chip.
80GB hard drive (5400 rpm I think, definitely not 4200). Free space about 7 GB on the drive, could this be the problem?). I have an external hard drive but it's a USB, not Firewire. (I do have a firewire port, should I have a dedicated Firewire external drive for video only?)
Windows XP Home SP2, works great. System seems very stable, no crashes so far (6 months).

Sure would appreciate any help. I don't want to do an AVI or Mpeg, I want a DVD that I can look at with full quality on tv. Also, the footage was shot on mini-DV, and capture was effortless, never had a bandwidth problem...well, initially I did with another tape, but for this movie, which is about 1 hour long as assembled, I never had a problem.

I have a desktop system running windows 2000, latest service pack. It's got plenty of muscle (2 GB memory, terabyte of hard drive storage at 7200, Pentium 3.0. But I've got about 22GB of clips and such, don't know how to transfer all that to the desktop computer without a bit of a hassle.

So I guess my question is, if I'm doing everything correctly to export on my laptop, maybe the laptop just isn't robust enough? Or is there something else I could do in settings or clearing hard drive space for instance that would make it fly?

thanks for your help.

Roger Averdahl
December 31st, 2005, 02:09 PM
...out of memory
...Windows XP Home SP2

The solution is here: http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/330380.html

/Roger