Magic Lantern 0.1.5 release - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 16th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #31
New Boot

very basic question

I am completely new to video, being a still photographer who bought the 5D II as an upgrade to the original 5D. But I have fallen in love with the video footage and started using it for family videos (i.e complete amateur here). Because of the camera noises recorded on the internal mic, I bought the Rode Videomic external mic, but it gives me a lot of extra background noise (between a hum and a hiss) which I understand is caused by the automatic gain control, right? I know nothing about sound editing, I would just like to get noise-free or less-noise sound with my videos. So my question is, if I use the Magic Lantern software and don't adjust any settings, will that be likely to get rid of some of this noise? In other words, I understand it turns off the automatic gain at the default settings, right?
Bob Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 01:45 AM   #32
Inner Circle

You want Magic Lantern and an active preamp with gain - or an external recorder...
5. Canon 5D Mark II Audio Exposed - Noise on Vimeo
Old July 17th, 2009, 02:52 AM   #33
New Boot

but

Hi Jon, thanks for your response. And yes, I know that is ideally what I want, but I want a lot of things I can't afford! If I do more video I may eventually be able to buy more equipment, but right now that is not in the cards. So what I am asking is if Magic Lantern will be of any use to me, with my limited budget and the equipment I now have and can afford, which is this one external mic.
Old July 17th, 2009, 02:56 AM   #34
Major Player

Bob,

Magic Lantern will benefit you even if you are just using the Rode Videomic directly into the camera. You can still set the audio levels manually and avoid excessive noise. The levels you record may be on the low side but will be cleaner than you are getting now. Set the camera to an analogue gain of around 17 and then do the rest digitally.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 04:28 AM   #35
New Boot

great

Thanks very much Dan, that's what I was hoping to hear.

And thanks so much to Tramm, Jon, Chris, and everyone else who has worked on this great addition to the camera.
Old July 18th, 2009, 05:31 AM   #36
Major Player

im also curious how the results of a mic plugged directly into the camera are.. is it possible to get a cleanish signal?? is the main disadvantage a lack of dynamic range? or just a low signal to noise ratio?

cheers
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #37
Major Player

Just tried the Magic Lantern for the first time and once I got the settings on screen I couldn't scroll down to alter any values, OR get rid of them once they were on there. Then the liveview disappeared until I hit the autofocus button. The cinemascope lines were also flickering which I don't think is normal

Tried a few times and switched off the cam and took out the battery each time.

Shame, I was looking forward to having a play with it.

Avey
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Wayne. These issues are on list of fixes. The best way to set your camera up is use the config file, changing setting before hand on your CF card, using a text editor. This avoids menu, that some are having trouble with.

As far as using Menu, while I haven't confirmed it, I think I have trouble sometimes because I turn my on switch on to the second level, which I think is a lock position for some selections. Try turning on to the first level of "on" to see if that makes a difference.

Menu scrolling is done with the toggle switch. Up and down to go to the menu selecttion. Depress it or the set button to select.

I can usually clear the menu screen by hitting the Menu button a couple of times, or alternating between it and the Picture style. Info button will also help clear some time.
Tramm reports that using the magnify button will clear it eventually.

Multiple use of the menu will be an issue too. Tramm believes it may be a memory leak.

Don't let these issues dissuade you. You are in for a treat with the benefits...

Remeber we are Beta testers, and we can expect to run into these issues in the early development.

Again, I heartily recommend setting up by config file, if the menu issues put you off.
Old July 19th, 2009, 03:30 AM   #39
Major Player

Cheers Chris! Helpful as ever mate.

I'll have another play later today

Avey
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #40
Major Player

Anyone having success with the latest ML firmware and after market battery? It's not working for me..

When the firmware reboots the camera, the battery prompt message comes up.. I would say "OK" and go to the live view screen. However, the top quick dial will not work.. Nor would the picture style button enable the ML menu.. I'm using Phottix batteries..
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 09:10 PM   #41
Inner Circle

Re: Cheap Batteries amd 0.1.5

With my cheap batteries, I could not get it to record by pushing set button, or access the buttons, except for the camera menu button, and I could not get into the Magic Lantern menu. Screen showed up with level meters, but mp recording could be activated. I did try setting config with the start delay, but that didn't work either.
Old July 20th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #42
Major Player

Chris: I think it has to do with the the message that pops up when using chipless batteries.. otherwise, there should be no operational difference between Canon branded and 3rd party batteries..
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:54 PM   #43
New Boot

What am I doing wrong?

Following up my earlier question about whether ML would help me get a cleaner signal from my external Rode Videomic plugged directly into the camera, I tried the firmware, but the audio cuts off after a few seconds. I was trying it without changing anything in the menu (and without editing the cfg file) just to get a sense of how it worked. Is there something I should change in the cfg file that is causing this?
Old July 21st, 2009, 01:05 PM   #44
Inner Circle

1. Is the mic battery charged (new, 9 volt I understand)

2. Mic Power switch on ?

3. What is PAD setting ? You need mic as hot as possible.

4. In Magic Lantern config, I would start with analog set at 5 which translates to 17 db. If you are not getting into green, maybe you have to push to 23.

Report back results cause we are all learning what Magic Lantern can do with various mics.

Also note, it is reported by Jon Fairhurst, resident expert here on sound into ML, that the first instance of a recording after starting Magic Lantern, will result in a wrong level. Just do a 3 sec record first, and then you would be good to go. On next recording.
Old July 21st, 2009, 01:26 PM   #45
New Boot

rode videomic

Hi Chris, thanks for the prompt response.

I can see now that it has something to do with the levels. If I set mgain and dgain high enough, I get sound. I will have to play around and try different settings until I learn how to use it (I am a total novice in both video and audio, in case you can't tell!).

Bob
Bob Gates is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD