Magic Lantern 0.1.5 release - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 21st, 2009, 02:06 PM   #46
Inner Circle

Bob:

You just may become the Rode VideoMic expert here :) You will be walking a fine line between to much background noise and high enough levels. I just set 10 digital gain and bounce analogue up, which is Tramm's default I think. Don't be afraid to record a little on low side, because at lower gain setting you can push up in post. Again 17 analog is not bad on a lot of setups for me. Pushing power up on mic by changing pad settings will be beneficial.
Old July 21st, 2009, 03:21 PM   #47
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Bob:
You just may become the Rode VideoMic expert here :) You will be walking a fine line between to much background noise and high enough levels. I just set 10 digital gain and bounce analogue up, which is Tramm's default I think. Don't be afraid to record a little on low side, because at lower gain setting you can push up in post. Again 17 analog is not bad on a lot of setups for me. Pushing power up on mic by changing pad settings will be beneficial.
Thanks Chris, I am really ignorant about sound and how these settings work, I will have to do some studying on all that.

I set analog at 17 and had to go to 20-30 dgain just to get anywhere near the levels I get without the firmware. Are you saying it is better to set the digital low and increase the analog? (I realize I can set the digital higher in post, but I like to get a sense of the sound levels before I go to editing.)

I have the PAD settings at the default 0db (the mic also has -10 and -20)

So far I haven't been able to distinguish any "cleaner" sound with the firmware, but I haven't been in a very quiet setting.

Bob
Bob Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 11:13 PM   #48
Inner Circle

Okay, I just hooked up a simple battery powered ECM MS-907 Sony Stereo mic just to see what I would get out of that. As with your test Bob, I had to push analog to 29 and digital to 12 to get the meter to register green.

I think this just confirms what we have known, if we leave the camera to its own amp feeding a direct mic, we will get a hiss that will have to filtered out. Otherwise a good preamp is in order to avoid that, such as is found in a filed mixer or the Juiced Link CX231.. The benefit of the firm ware remains at that point to prevent pumping of the auto gain when in stock firmware set up.

Last edited by Chris Barcellos; July 22nd, 2009 at 11:36 AM.
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 05:15 AM   #49
New Boot

Thanks Chris, looks like I need to start saving up for some good sound equipment.

Bob
Bob Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 12:01 PM   #50
New Boot

Custom Framing Guides

I am really enjoying the 0.1.5 release. Great work!

Still curious if there is a way to create a custom framing guides for various aspect ratios that can be called via the .cfg file and loaded with ML.

Is this currently possible?

All the best,
Dan
Dan Parsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 12:09 PM   #51
Wizard Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parsons View Post
Still curious if there is a way to create a custom framing guides for various aspect ratios that can be called via the .cfg file and loaded with ML.
It is coming in 0.1.6 -- any 720x480 (non-square pixels) 8-bit palette BMP file can be used. Here is a demo picture with some cropmarks I drew in paint as a test. I don't think they quite line up with Academy guidelines:

Last edited by Tramm Hudson; July 23rd, 2009 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Added link to feature
Tramm Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 12:26 PM   #52
New Boot

Brilliant, Tramm!

You're probably right, though. I'm not sure those markings are Academy--but they look cool. :)

Looking forward to 0.1.6!

All the best,
Dan
Dan Parsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 12:49 PM   #53
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramm Hudson View Post
...any 720x480 (non-square pixels) 8-bit palette BMP file can be used...
Hi Tramm,

Does the camera accept the palette embedded in the BMP, or do we need to conform to the camera palette?

Thanks!
Old July 23rd, 2009, 01:05 PM   #54
Wizard Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
Does the camera accept the palette embedded in the BMP, or do we need to conform to the camera palette?

You must conform to the camera's palette. I've started a writeup on the wiki about creating custom cropmarks. I need to go through the math again for computing the locations of the different formats when used on the LCD, and then do it again for the HDMI output since the BMP resolution changes depending on the output format, as well as depending on what information is being displayed on the HDMI output.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 04:14 PM   #55
Inner Circle

Quote:
...I need to go through the math again for computing the locations of the different formats when used on the LCD, and then do it again for the HDMI output since the BMP resolution changes depending on the output format, as well as depending on what information is being displayed on the HDMI output.
I imagine that the first iteration will select only one bitmap from the card. It would be nice if down the road we would be able to have multiple bitmaps, such as:

HDMI_16x9.bmp
LCD_16x9.bmp
HDMI_2.35.bmp
LCD_2.35.bmp

When using the HDMI_/LCD_ prefix, the menu would offer choices of "16x9" and "2.35", and the proper file would be chosen, depending on the active HDMI/LCD screen.

One more question... what is the value of the transparent color? 0? 255?

Thanks again!
Old July 30th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #56
Regular Crew

Anybody heard from Tramm recently?
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #57
Inner Circle

Impression I got was he is trying to get 0.1.6 into a releasable version for the near future, correcting most of the bugs in 0.1.5, and adding some new features.

Check this link out to see what he is working on, some of it being addressed still, and others resolved. Quite an ambitious project:

http://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-la...es/?sort=-kind
Old July 30th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #58
Regular Crew

Thanks for the update Chris!
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 07:19 AM   #59
Wizard Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Daigon View Post
Anybody heard from Tramm recently?
Help! I've been taken captive by Canon and forced to remove features!

More seriously, most of the technical internals discussion is taking place on the ml-devel mailing list. Most folks here are more interested in lenses and f/stops than bit-clocks and integer division algorithms.

As Chris pointed out, we're making good progress towards the next release, with these milestones left to go (not all will make it into the 0.1.6 release). I'm hoping to have things wrapped up by this weekend and to shoot some new demo videos. Among the new features will be programmable bracketing and focus stacking, which have been the most frequently requested feature after 24p.
Old July 31st, 2009, 07:28 AM   #60
Regular Crew

Quote:
Help! I've been taken captive by Canon and forced to remove features!
I just woke up and it took me about 5 sec. to realize that Canon was NOT strong arming you.
Thanks for the wonderfull laugh first thing in the morning. Glad to hear that things continue
in a positive direction.
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD