DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   GL2 & XM2 Battery / Batteries (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/37132-gl2-xm2-battery-batteries.html)

Ken Tanaka May 7th, 2004 02:35 PM

Here's the AB page on the Stasis brace. This has a Gold Mount plate already installed. I -believe- they make a Stasis for the GL2 but I could be wrong.

But I do know that Anton Bauer makes a complete power kit for the XL1, which uses the same 7.2v as the GL2. To use this kit you would probably select a 3rd-party brace, such as the DVRigPro or a Dolgin that enables you to mount the adapter plate for yourself.

See my recent article on the Firestore FS-3 for a better view of how the AB adapter works, at least on an XL1S. It would work the same on a GL2, with the exception that you need a different way to mount the adapter plate.

Graham Bernard May 7th, 2004 03:53 PM

" I -believe- they make a Stasis for the GL2 " Went to see a UK suplier yeaterday . . don't seem they do . . hey ho . .

Yohann Kouam May 7th, 2004 04:32 PM

at biz-max they sell the Canon BP-945 Battery Pack for 130 bucks. is it reasonable?

Yohann Kouam May 7th, 2004 05:13 PM

is this a good deal? how long does this battery last(i don't get why they never indicate that info):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=198705&is=REG

Saul Miller May 7th, 2004 08:25 PM

I just bought a GL2 two weeks ago. I also have used the Sony NP-960 battery on a Hi-8 camcorder and was a little miffed when I saw the specs o nthe Canon batteries.

The capacity of the Canon BP-941 is 4500 mAhr and the Lenmar LIC941 is 5500 mAhr. Based upon the specs the Lenmar battery has a 22% more capacity than the Canon battery. There may be some conservatism in the capacity. It depends who did the testing and how good the QC is at the factory.

I bought a non-branded battery with a 4000 mAhr capacity and have used it twice to film softball games. My estimate of the battery life is about 4 hours. I shoot 1 hour of footage in 2 hours at a game. I have not run into a problem yet.

I will probably buy a Lenmar battery in the near future. It is less expensive than the Canon BP-941 and has greater capacity.

Yohann Kouam May 10th, 2004 12:25 PM

when buying a lenmar battery, do you have to buy an extra charger or the canon xm-2's is compatible?

peace

Ken Tanaka May 10th, 2004 12:58 PM

The Canon charger's fine.

Rob Lohman May 11th, 2004 10:26 AM

I'm running the Lenmar LIC941/5500 mAh on my XL1S without
any problems. Works fine with the Canon charger as well.

Thomas Fraser May 11th, 2004 08:57 PM

2+2 = no problem

2 hour tape = 2 hour battery.
I just change to a new charged battery when I change to a new tape. no problem.

Rob Lohman May 12th, 2004 04:41 AM

2 hour tape? I won't trust anything else then 60 minute tape
running in SP mode.

Thomas Fraser May 12th, 2004 05:09 AM

sorry...

I was meaning to say 1 hour mini DV tape, I must have been thinking baout VHS, a blast from the past indeed, sorry...

Miguel Lombana May 12th, 2004 05:45 AM

Here is an option, I chose this one as it was quite cost effective. For about the cost of 2 series 945 canon batteries or 119 dollars (no tax), I purchased a battery belt from a net company that just happens to be a local brick and mortar shop here in Orlando.

http://www.batterybank.com/beltpack/page11.2.html is a 14ah belt pack that ships with a Canon GLx / XL1x adapter. With this pack you can run your camera for about 17 hours. If you get creative and can run a solder station, you can permenantly attach the battery fixture to the electrical system of the pack which free's up the cigarette lighter plug for a light.

With this configuration I can run my GL2 and my Frezzi for about 4 to 4.5 hours (more depending on the use of my light).

Miguel

Kevin Galliford June 8th, 2004 07:50 PM

BP-945 Battery

If anyone is looking for the highest capacity battery for your GL2, i have just purchased a BP-945 off ebay for 25.00 it works great. Is a better deal then paying $125 for a canon.
Its just more expensive because they have their name on it. The battery is great, but a couple and save $$$ espically if your on the go alot and need alot of handy power!

Evan Kubota June 8th, 2004 08:33 PM

I have an eBay battery too - the large size. It works very well. I wouldn't pay triple digits for a Canon-branded pack, either. 4 to 5 hours of shooting is more than enough for me.

Ian Hong June 26th, 2004 09:34 AM

Batteries for GL2

I need to buy some batteries, I'm not sure if I should by original Canon batteries. I'm leaning towards them because of the warning Canon has about not being responsible for the damage other brands may cause. Does everyone here use original Canon brand batteries, or do a lot of you use other brands? What other brands have you had good experiences with?

Any help would be appreciated,
Ian Hong