DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   GL2 & XM2 Battery / Batteries (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/37132-gl2-xm2-battery-batteries.html)

Ken Tanaka June 26th, 2004 09:46 AM

Ian,
Have no fear of high-quality 3rd-party batteries for your GL2. Power 2000 and Lenmar each make excellent BP-945 replacements that actually have better capacity specs than Canon's batteries (and cost less, too). I've been using Power 2000's for years.

I would, however, be cautious of extremely low priced no-name batteries.

Karl Barek June 26th, 2004 10:07 AM

Well, thanks for making me feel a lot better about purchasing the Power 2000 battery.

I just ordered a GL2 with the extra battery and other stuff from B&H earlier this week.

Wasn't sure about my choice of the 3rd-party battery, but the price is like 1/2 and rated higher than the Canon.

Miguel Lombana June 26th, 2004 03:28 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : Ian,
Have no fear of high-quality 3rd-party batteries for your GL2. Power 2000 and Lenmar each make excellent BP-945 replacements that actually have better capacity specs than Canon's batteries (and cost less, too). I've been using Power 2000's for years.

I would, however, be cautious of extremely low priced no-name batteries. -->>>

Totally agree with Ken, I typically purchase most of my batteries on Batteries.com and have never been shipped something that wasn't up to or exceeding spec.

K. Forman June 26th, 2004 04:20 PM

I picked up a handful of Empire BLI-161 batteries a couple years ago, at around $30 each. They worked beautiful for the first year or so, but after that, started to lose power over time. That is, I fully charge them the night before, and sometimes they drop to 50-75% by the next day.

Still... 5 batteries at 75% is better than no batteries at all.

Miguel Lombana June 26th, 2004 05:39 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Forman : I picked up a handful of Empire BLI-161 batteries a couple years ago, at around $30 each. They worked beautiful for the first year or so, but after that, started to lose power over time. That is, I fully charge them the night before, and sometimes they drop to 50-75% by the next day.

Still... 5 batteries at 75% is better than no batteries at all. -->>>

Yea but that's typical of any rechargable battery, the memory effect is still something that the manufacturers are playing with.

My company (Motorola) deals with batteries for public safety radios. Our best and most expensive battery for the biggest, baddest police radios are good for 12 hours for about the first 8 months then after 1 year we ask the guys to bring them back in for a new one since the prolonged use of charging just kills the cells. 1 year of solid life is excellent.

K. Forman June 26th, 2004 05:48 PM

When you put it that way, I don't feel too bad ;)

I was more or less comparing the Empires, to the original BP-915 that came with my GL1. I've had it slightly longer than the knock offs, and it still performs like a champ. I can always depend on it for at least an hours worth of shooting.

I am considering moving up to one of those multi-hour batteries, but haven't really looked into them yet. I had some choices, but I decided to get a decent wide angle for Father's Day, but my Birthday is only 5 months away :)

Marco Leavitt June 26th, 2004 06:19 PM

We've got a couple of Lenmars and they've been very reliable. Bought the first one three years ago and it still seems to last forever.

Ian Hong June 26th, 2004 11:38 PM

Thanks everyone,

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy the Power-2000 BP-945 replacement battery, here's the link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=227259&is=REG

Will this battery charge with the charger that came with my GL2?

Thanks again,
Ian

Ken Tanaka June 26th, 2004 11:43 PM

Yes.

Graham Bernard June 27th, 2004 01:45 AM

I'm using BP945 non-Canon MADE batteries .. . had 2 for nearly 18 months now .. no problems. I bought 2 for the price of one "CANON" BP945 . . . however, the maker does have a "proper" Canon label on its bottom!

The batteries work, they charge as per the the User's Handbook, get back up to levels quick enough ..

Grazoie

Karl Barek June 27th, 2004 07:36 AM

Ian

That's the battery I ordered. Can't beat the price on that. Like I said above at first I was kinda worried, but figured I'd take the risk seeing how the official canon one is like $130. But, after reading Ken's post, I wish I would've ordered another one:)

Ken Beckmann June 27th, 2004 02:06 PM

Just bought a Lenmar BP945 from Zotz for 70.00. It claims to have 5 hours. Have not used it yet, but good price.
K.

Karl Barek June 29th, 2004 07:57 PM

New GL2 and Batteries

I should be getting my GL2 tomorrow...B&H sent me my tripod and everything else besides the camera today...don't get me started...

Question:

1. Do I have to charge the new batteries before use?

thanks,

Karl

Ken Tanaka June 29th, 2004 10:09 PM

Yup. So don't count on mugging the UPS driver and unpacking the cam on-the-run to your first shoot. All batteries are shipped in various states of discharge, often near empty.

Personally, I think it's a strategy designed by the camera manufacturers to almost force you to at least glance through the manual while waiting for the battery to charge.

Ian Stark June 30th, 2004 05:34 AM

Interestingly, when I was at B&H last week I bought a Power 2000 replacement for the 945. When I went to charge it up it was almost fully charged.