DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   GL2 & XM2 Battery / Batteries (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/37132-gl2-xm2-battery-batteries.html)

Gerald Yuvallos October 21st, 2004 11:11 PM

how long can a Power2000 / Lenmar BP-945 power up a GL2?

Gerald Yuvallos October 22nd, 2004 10:49 AM

Anyone? Planning to buy a couple... how does it compare to the Canon BP-945 in terms of performance?

Ken Tanaka October 22nd, 2004 11:17 AM

There is no set answer to your question, Gerald. It all depends on how you use your camera. Reviewing footage in-camera uses more power. Using the LCD consumes more power. Frequent zooming uses more power, too. All I can tell you is that the Power 2000 batteries have generally gotten me through at least a couple of hours. You won't be disappointed with either brand. Both have more capacity than the Canon-branded batteries.

Gerald Yuvallos October 22nd, 2004 11:20 AM

Thank you Ken. Off to order a couple now :)

Glen Chua January 1st, 2005 06:28 AM

GL2 Batteries

Hey guys,
I hope I am posting this in the right section, and if not, I am really sorry. My question has to do about the GL2 batteries. On eBay, they sell both the Canon manufactured GL2 batteries (I want the one that last 8 hours, but I forgot the model number) and the batteries which are compatable with the GL2, but not made with Canon. The ones that are not made by Canon are sooooo much cheaper, and I was wondering if buying them would hurt the GL2 in anyway? Are the Canon manufactured ones really worth all the money? What are the pros and cons? Anyways, thanks!

Glen Chua

Don Palomaki January 1st, 2005 07:41 AM

The pros are you save money. The cons are that some third party batteries may not be made to the same quality tollerance Canon calls for their name plate.

I use Lenmar betteries with success on my GL1 and XL1. Are they as good as Canon? as far as I can tell there is not a major differnece.

As long as the voltage and current available from the battery is within the normal operating range it should be OK.

Brian Maier January 1st, 2005 12:45 PM

Ill 2nd the lenmars, ive never had any problems from them on my gl2 or my parents sony camera.

Ken Tanaka January 1st, 2005 02:09 PM

I've had nothing but good experiences with the Power 2000 batteries I've purchased from B&H. In fact, they have proven to be better than the Canon-branded batteries. The Lenmars would also be an excellent choice. (Note, by the way, that Canon does not actually make their batteries.)

One warning to follow-up on Don's remarks: We've had several people complain about loose fittings with some of the "bought from eBay / bought from a Hong Kong shop for $5" batteries. In my opinion, it's just not worth saving $10-$20 on a battery if it's unreliable or will loose power contact with the camera in the middle of a shoot. Buy the best batteries from reputable dealers.

Charlie Durand January 4th, 2005 03:03 PM

I also use the Power2000 batteries. I bought them when I bought my camera from B&H and have had no issues.

The big one lasts forever. In fact I've never actually ran one down all the way before running out of tape(s) or stuff to shoot first.

Jay Stevens February 1st, 2005 12:23 AM

Battery recommendations?

I'm looking for a good generic 3-6 hour battery that lasts to buy instead of the bp-945 (they're kinda expensive). Any recommendations out there?

Ken Tanaka February 1st, 2005 12:29 AM

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/search.ph...der=descending

Jan van den Hemel February 25th, 2005 02:00 PM

Battery trouble (Canon GL-1/XM-1)

Lately I've been having trouble with two Vario batteries I bought for my XM-1 (PAL GL-1). Basically, the last time I tried to use them they only lasted for a couple of minutes.

They're about two years old. The original Canon battery I have is about 5 years old and still going strong. I did use them outdoors at about 0° C, whereas the manual for the new Canon battery I bought today says that it's ideal to use them between 10°C and 30°C.

Does temperature have anything to do with it or can I just throw them in the garbage because they're old?

Rob Lohman February 26th, 2005 06:10 AM

Sounds like that brand isn't too good. I had some good experience
with Lenmar, although I haven't had them for that long.

The temperature should not really be an issue (at the temps
you mentioned), but they will last a bit shorter at lower
temperatures indeed.

It sounds like they are busted.

Alexander McLeod March 19th, 2005 10:52 PM

GL2 BP-945 Battery Question

My BP-945 , even though it registers fully charged on the Canon CA-920 charger both before and after, goes out seconds after I fire up my GL2. My backup BP-915A is working well. I bought them both at the same time, along with the GL2 and other accessories from Zotz. Any ideas on this? I do use the 945 more but I don't understand why it should do what it is doing.
Thanks,
Sandy

Ken Tanaka March 19th, 2005 11:10 PM

The battery's a goner. Don't waste time trying to revive it. Batteries can die early deaths for a number of reasons. Your observations suggest that this one might have suffered a hard bash, perhaps a bad fall. In addition to the power cells, these batteries contain circuitry that regulates their operation and that can be irretrievably damaged by hard impacts.

If the battery has not suffered such a bash and if it's still new (ex: < 6 months) give Zotz a call. Perhaps they can work something out with you.