Wide Angle Lens Converter for GL / XM - Page 28 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 9th, 2006, 03:01 AM   #406
Regular Crew

I just bought recently Cokin Digi 0.5 wide adaptor. It works absolutely fine, but (off course) have some problems in 15-20x range. Otherwise, everything else is fine, They are cheap and fits into original lens hood of XM2.
Old March 16th, 2006, 12:13 PM   #407
Regular Crew

.: Bower wide angle lens for xm2 not working without macro atachment!? :.

Hi all,

I just recieved my Bower wide angle lens for my canon xm2 camera.
and i have question.

As you can see on http://www.bowerusa.com/Lens-WA.html --> near the end of page Lens: VL558 The lens has 2 parts, a bigger and a smaller one.
Now the smaller one is a macro lens and the bigger one is the wide angle is assume. I can connect the complete lens onto my camera, but here's the question isn't this stuppid ? Macro lens with wide angle, i seem to be confused cause i can't screw the bigger part on my camea without the macro.
Do you guys think that it is right to have wide angle with macro together? I also tryd holding it against my camera and i can see a much larger wide angle range, but the edge of the lens is clearly visible. I know this question is confusion but i hope somebody understands me!

Hope to get some help,

Greets Michaël
Michael Claerbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #408
Regular Crew

I would like to add, that i was placing the bigger part on its on against the camera, and so i saw the edges.
Old March 27th, 2006, 08:57 AM   #409
Major Player

What price is this lens?
Old March 27th, 2006, 10:23 AM   #410
Regular Crew

Cokin 0.5 /58mm is 55 Euros here, so very cheap compared to others.
Old March 27th, 2006, 10:39 AM   #411
Major Player

Thx, i just have to search a dealere here, in Europe.
The 15-20x range problem is not a big problem, because why use the wide lens? Because i want a wider look than with the normal lens.
At widest zoom range everything is OK? No vignetting? No distorsion effect?
Smear?

thx
Old March 29th, 2006, 02:00 AM   #412
Regular Crew

At widest zoom range there are very small portions of black at the edges of picture, but I can see those only on PC when editing. There is also very, very slight distorsion effect, which is normal thing in 0.5 wide and which i prefer in very wide shots. And no problems vith vignetting. Anyway for the price gap between WD58H, this is great "low budget" lens. I also like presence of the front filter thread. Here's the picture: http://www.praxis.hr/proizvodi/getImgXL.asp?ID=42
Old March 29th, 2006, 02:11 AM   #413
Regular Crew

GL1/2 wide angle adapter lens

This advice will run counter to the conventional wisdom. I shot with a GL1 for 5 yrs., now have a GL2. I used a Kenko .7 wide angle adapter & am waiting delivery of one for GL2. It is a good piece of glass with no vignetting around the edges of the image. I saw no visible degradation of the images with the adapter as opposed to the GL's lens.

The best news is that the Kenko can be purchased for as low as $77-us. It is truly a bargain. Being the thrifty type I am not into spending $200- or more when it is not absolutely necessary. Bought mine from www.bluecraze.com.

Hope this helps.
Bill Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2006, 09:00 PM   #414
Regular Crew

Props to the WD58H. Great lens

Chris
Chris C. Corfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 07:21 AM   #415
Major Player

Bill and Darko (or somebody, who have):

please could you send me some captured image, shooted with your Kenko/Cokin wide lens?
I cannot make a decision, which is better, you guys can help me a lot!

My email adress can be found on my homepage (ismerteto/elerhetoseg).
I dont want to write it here, because of the spam email.

Thank you!
Marton
Old April 23rd, 2006, 06:06 AM   #416
Tourist

Wide Angle Lens--when to use-Question?

I have a WD-58 Wide Angle Convertor that came with my GL1. Why is the WD-58 (or any other wide angle lens convertor) important? When is the best time to use a wide angle lens and when is it not appropriate to use one?
Chris Boykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 06:17 AM   #417
Regular Crew

Hé Chris,

well a wide angle is very handy when you have to work in small places like in a car, small room, enc. You then have the ability to make wider images. With a wide angle you alsaw get more distance between front and background, so you can achieve a more dramatic look on close ups, ore get a person to step out of the background. The downfall of wide angle is that you get perspectif changes (a straight line will gecome a cerved one) near the edge of your picture, this is normal cause you pull light from a "wider angle" the less the wide angle lens/converter costs the more likely to have more perspectif changes.

greets,

Michael.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 07:34 AM   #418
Old Boot

. . also, external, if you gotta get a whole load of a building! PLUS Landscape shots - oh yes! NOW try this with the camera's 16:9? I recently did a complete shot of the new Wembley Stadium. I got the whole shebang within frame from about 150 metres away .. Completely astonished me . .. !
WD58! It stays on all the time . . .

Don;t use? Well, at the edges you can get lampposts "bowing" in - looks as if they are praying! So as long as you are aware of this and just zoom in a tad and "move" inwards, I've found it's fine.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 02:48 PM   #419
Tourist

Thanks Graham, thanks Michael. I'll keep you're suggestions in mind. Nice to see someone here from Belgium. Have a nice day.
Chris Boykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:11 AM   #420
Regular Crew

Wide angle lens for weddings

I just purchased a WD-58 wide angle lens for my GL2. Would anyone recommend leaving it on the camera for a weddings? I've read other posts on leaving it on but didn't find one in regards to weddings.

thanks
Janice DeMille is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders