Wide Angle Lens Converter for GL / XM - Page 29 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:32 AM   #421
Regular Crew

Wide Angle for Weddings

Yes I would advise you to leave it on the camera for weddings. I think you wil like the results.
Bill Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:33 AM   #422
Regular Crew

Thanks Bill
Janice DeMille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:09 AM   #423
Old Boot

Well kinda.

You just gotta be sure that when you frame a church and you have the spire to one side, just be sure it aint bent too much. I am not joking. It WILL be the most important BIG shots where you are fully wide angled WI(DE that any peripheral IMPORTANT verticals will be noticed as bent. Otherwise I leave mine on all the time - I don't do weddings - but I do do big buildings. Any important verticals come away from the edge of the frame - oh yes!! And watch out for bowing/praying lampposts!!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 02:13 AM   #424
Major Player

Nobody's have a wide lens?
The wedding season just begins, and i cannot make a decision which wide lens should i buy. Cokin/Kenko, etc..?
Please send me a picture!
I dont want to see outside a bended church.
Old May 5th, 2006, 09:58 AM   #425
Regular Crew

Use your wide angle where it makes sense. There are noticably visible tradeoffs to using it so be aware that it has its place. For bridal preps it works great and is almost a must in tight quarters of dressing rooms. Reception halls also work good as they can be cramped for space as well. As Graham mentioned though, wide shots during the ceremony can be comprimised by barrel distortion. Bright spots from the ceiling can also reflect in the wide angle lens and create interesting, although unwanted effects. I've seen this several times before. My philosophy is the less glass you need to use the better.

John
John Laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #426
Regular Crew

thanks

I have been playing with the lens at the site of my next wedding and have seen some of the good and bad you all have described.

Thanks so much for your input
Janice DeMille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 09:14 AM   #427
Regular Crew

First, sorry Pretch for not posting or mailing for quite some time. I'm working hard abroad for the last 5 weeks and will be back at the end of this month. I am living near Hungarian border and often going to Pecs (very nice restaurants!) so if you are near I can bring you Cokin wide angle or if you aren't in hurry I will work in Budapest in the end of summer. BTW, nice pics on your website...Those lakes are gorgeous, aren't they? I recently worked with friends XM2 and he's got an WD58. It's really great piece of glass, but honestly I can't see any difference in pic quality compared to Cokin, except in 16-20x range, but, like I said I can live with it, especially considering price difference. I will also send you tommorow some pictures captured with wide angle.
Old May 7th, 2006, 10:01 PM   #428
Regular Crew

wide angle lens

I bought a used Century.65 wide angle lens off Ebay....They're $350 new at B&H....got it for $165....but I'm not really sure I'm noticing any greater picture quality than any other cheaper lens that I've had before....except the fact that you can still use the zoom with this lens on....
Len
Len Imbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 04:15 PM   #429
New Boot

Wide angle adaptors for Canon GL2.

I used a Canon 1014XLS Super 8 cine camera before going on to video with a Pal Canon XMI (GLI in america). I still have it and the Canon 0.5x wide angle and 1.4x Telephoto adaptors. I have found that with a 58mm to 67mm step-up ring (the cine camera had a 67mm filter size) they both work work well on the XMI.
It may be worth trying to get hold of used examples of these. As they are designed to fit on a lens with a larger front diameter they are not prone to vignetting.
Richard Rouillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:34 PM   #430
Major Player

Thanks Darko.
I dont' care the 16-20x range, just the widest range.
The pictures on my website, well, you know every place, right? :)
I'm waiting your email.

Marton
Old June 25th, 2006, 11:48 PM   #431
Major Player

Darko Flajpan:
Can you send me some pics?
thx
Old June 26th, 2006, 12:06 AM   #432
Inner Circle

I think the genuine Canon WD58 has got to be the safest bet, but there will be an increase in barrel distortion and you'll get 'bendy churches' Prech. But the lens is a zoom-through that you may find handy, and the multi-coating is superb.

If you want to avoid the barrel distortion yet get an even wider field of view then you'll need to fit an aspheric single element. You'll limit your zoom range to about 10x (still not bad) and you'll need to hood the lens carefully as some of these elements aren't coated.

Go here for a look-see.

http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.de/ka...a/b_optike.php

You can see some of my lens tests using conventional sperical and unconventional aspherical wide-angles here:

http://www.fortvir.net/gallery/v/tom-s-photo-album/

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 02:53 AM   #433
Old Boot

Tom!! - I didnt know about your site? Superb ideas you have there. I esp like the Velcro on the zoom/gear flat space area. I've got one of those on my XM2 . .. great idea. I just adore the MD and senni kit AND the Rycote to accessory shoe thing! Excellent!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 01:34 PM   #434
Major Player

wd-58 is the an awesoem lens!
Old July 18th, 2006, 01:46 PM   #435
Inner Circle

Glad you liked my pictures Graham - they really do show how awful barrel distortion can look. Yes, your XM2 has the same VAP OIS mechanism as my VX2k (the activating pistons for the prism are housed in that 'lens box'). It's an ideal place to attach the radio receiver.

Richard - I too have the Canon 1.4x telephoto (67 mm thread) and I use it on my Z1. It works beautifully, and helps claw back some of the telephoto reach lost when Sony changed their VX2000 12x zoom to a more wide-angle zoom for the Z1 and FX1. Shame the 1.4x Canon isn't coated at all, but even so, it's easy to hood effectively being a telephoto.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders