Wide Angle Lens Converter for GL / XM - Page 23 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 13th, 2005, 12:59 PM   #331
Inner Circle

I have a Kenko 0.7x single element non zoom-through and it works well. Being a spherical element means it barrel distorts, but it's nicely coated and is a lot more compact and is considerably lighter than my zoom-through w'angle converters.

I tend to prefer non zoom-through as generally you can go to about half way before the image blurrs out, and anyway, the camera's zoom lens always works better without any added chunnks of glass placed in front of it.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2005, 02:55 PM   #332
Major Player

Wide angle lens for GL-2 camcorder

What is the best wide angle lens for the GL2 camcorder - in terms of quality of picture, guality glass, etc.
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2005, 08:45 PM   #333
Obstreperous Rex

Your top two choices are the Canon WD-58H wide-angle adapter, and a comparable model or two from Century Optics. These adapters have been discussed frequently on this forum... try a search using those terms and browse through the results; you'll find a lot of feedback about both.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2005, 08:38 AM   #334
Major Player

From what I have gleaned from the other threads, it seems like the choice is between the Canon WD-58H and the Century Optics .65. What is not clear to me is whether or not the Century Optics is worth the extra cost. I've seen one thread where one person appears to have used both, but that's the only actual "real life" comparison I could find.

I am trying to get some sense from folk who have used both how much of a difference there is. For example, do they both give the same field of vision, or is one different? Does one have more distortion, or are they the same. If there are differences, how noticeable are they?
Old February 6th, 2005, 12:05 PM   #335
Major Player

just for general questions: what is the best way to clean my wide angle?
Old February 6th, 2005, 01:07 PM   #336
Major Player

Stephen, What are you going to use the wide angle lens for. I have the Century Optics .3 fisheye which is very distorted, but shows from ceiling to floor.

I also have the .55 Century Optics, shows quite a bit, just about no distortion.

I film house tours, and have a need for both, in post I can correct for the distortion caused by the fisheye. But the .55 is much more convinent.
Todd Kivimaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2005, 05:02 PM   #337
Major Player

I will use it for video taping school concerts, and other inside events where I need to get a wide angle. I'm trying to get a comparison of the Canon WD-58H and the Century Optics .65 (if there is another Century Optics that is a better option that the .65, I'd like that comparison as well).
Old February 7th, 2005, 03:12 PM   #338
Major Player

From what I've seen, the WD-58H is probably your best bet. It is full zoom through and there is no distortion/vignetting. I wouldn't imagine that the Century Optics wide angle lense would be too much better.
Old February 8th, 2005, 05:32 PM   #339
Major Player

I would still like to hear from anyone who has actual real life experience with both lens - is there anyone out there who has used both? Or had a chance to compare them in a store?
Old February 17th, 2005, 06:09 PM   #340
Major Player

I use the Canon and it's got excellent optics. I can't imagine the Century Optics being better enough to justify the cost. It's a very good wide angle lens.
Old February 18th, 2005, 04:50 PM   #341
Regular Crew

I use the Canon and find it excellent. I certainly agree with Bob, Jack, et al about cost justification and the quality of the lens.

Sandy
Alexander McLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2005, 01:56 PM   #342
Regular Crew

I use the Raynox.

REALLY worth the money!!!

http://www.raynox.co.jp/
Old February 24th, 2005, 03:49 PM   #343
Inner Circle

I've tested the Century 0.65 (bayonet mount on a VX2000) against a Raynox, Kenko, Cavision and others. Not the Canon though. Of all the zoom-throughs the Century was the best. Mind you, it was the heaviest, most expensive, best coated and sharpest at all apertures and focal lengths. I was impressed.

But one sadness was the barrel distortion. At the price I just felt it distorted too much, and the Bolex Aspheron I now use is much better in taht department. But then again, all converter lenses have their pros as well as cons, and the Aspheron is only a half zoom-through.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2005, 07:25 PM   #344
Regular Crew

canon wide angle lens and filters

so I have the UV filter and polarizer filter and the tiffen filter which is 58mm, however when using the wide angle lens, there is nothing one can place over the wide angle lens.

when I placed the tiffen filter soft fx3 over the canan gl2 lens and then the wide angle lens, one can see the small dark "spots" of the tiffen filter on the LCD screen.

any advice on what ya'll do with your filters and wide angle lens?
Joe Mobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2005, 08:36 PM   #345
Capt. Quirk

So far, it's been one or the other. Try to get the best footage you can, and apply the filters in post as needed.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders