Wide Angle Lens Converter for GL / XM - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old October 13th, 2003, 03:12 AM   #241
Old Boot

. . another 2 things Alan, I think we've been here before, is that the filter actually "pushes" the WD58 further away from the "focal" plane, not good AND you would be putting in another sheet of glass, this in turn will cut done some of the lumins. This is just a simple explanation - I don't have any expertise in putting numbers on it, just plain ol' common sense really on my part.

. . .also, as Ken says, you gotta a limp of glass in front with the WD58, if anything physical gets through that . . well . .. . ;-)

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2003, 03:17 AM   #242
Major Player

Thanks Grazie,

ps Good luck with your street party, can't imagine me getting through that.

Perhaps you can give us some feedback once you finish
Old October 13th, 2003, 05:44 AM   #243
Old Boot

"Perhaps you can give us some feedback once you finish"

Alan, I can give that to you now . . .. I shall be lying down in a darkened room . . . with no sound of drumming!

Grazie
Old October 13th, 2003, 06:04 AM   #244
Major Player

In my case that would be the best option but with padded walls ;)

I take it you do video work professionally in London?
Old October 13th, 2003, 07:33 AM   #245
Old Boot

"I take it you do video work professionally in London?" - Just started. Been learning heaps and heaps from here other sites. I belong to the Institute of Videography where over the last year have been under the wing of one of their Master Members.

I've completed half a dozen wedding vids as camera 2/3. Filmed and edited a film ABOUT videographers filming a wedding. Completed an impressions of "Respect Festival" for a client. Made countless "oooh wouldn't that be nice as a 5 - 10 - 20 video" type of work. So I'm just taking off. Been involved with the arts all my life and have some corporate Arts stuff in the pipeline - lots of fun. Maybe one day it'll make enough dough to get bigger and better equip. But presently my Xm2 is holding out and I'm doing a mass of stuff to get the experience . . hey ho . . wadyyah know?

Pro? Well getting there. Do I get paid? Yes. Can you do it? Yer betcha yah sweet bippy yer can!

Grazie
Old October 13th, 2003, 07:43 AM   #246
Major Player

I am covering a wedding on Saturday, 1st with the XM2 and hey it is a fantastic bit of kit. I am looking towards the forums like this to pick up some tips and have picked up oodles already from here hence the reason why I went for this Cam.

Maybe one day I can turn it into money too, with this cam, Liquid Edition and lots of practice who knows.

Had a look at the Institute site but ended up in a vicious circle a few time so laid off, perhaps you can email me some stuff at alan_mccormick_2@hotmail.com so I can look into it further (if you don't mind)

Thanks
Old October 13th, 2003, 07:52 AM   #247
Old Boot

I'm afraid IoV email bulletins are in house. There is some "Public" stuff. But the real juicy bits are for the mebership. Why don't yer become a Member. It's no big deal. if you want to get qualified - I'm not yet - you can go on thier Master Member route. But, if you just want to take it easy and get to know more and spend time with others in the field . . go for it! - And no I don't get a discount on lassooing new members - ha ha ha . . . I didn't see where you hail from - UK? Well, it's a no brainer - JOIN UP!! - The annual bash will be in SPring next year. Went to this years and it was great! Swopping ideas and having your videos "crawled" by the pros. Seriously good people in the membeship. I've gained tons - forget about the oodles. . . anyways . . I've gotta bang on with a MusicVideo effect I'm working on for a wedding. My Tutor is the 1st cameraman and editor, but he's wanting me to do the upbeat stuff for the wedding disco.

I hear Vegas calling me . . yes yes yes I'm coming !! Really pushy these NLE s/w s. . . . yeah?

Grazie
Old October 13th, 2003, 09:11 AM   #248
Major Player

Thanks Grazie,

I had noticed the in-house comments but as I said just seemed to go round in circles on their web site, may try again sometime.

I will be doing a Promo video for an act over the next few months too so shooting and editing that will be fun too.

I hail from Chatham, Kent yes UK not USA
Old October 13th, 2003, 09:50 AM   #249
Old Boot

I'm sure there is a Kent CHapter of the IoV you could go to monthly?

D'yer need any help filming or editing the shoot?

Grazie
Old October 13th, 2003, 10:22 AM   #250
Major Player

No, thanks but this is a freebie for some friends, it will allow me to get more use of the Cam and I love editing with Edition (no timelimits either) when its for nowt :-)

I will look out for any links in Kent for IoV later, cheers
Old October 24th, 2003, 09:15 PM   #251
Major Player

WA and OIS

Doesn't a wide angle lens/adapter negate or lessen the effect of camera shake simply by virtue of the wider field of view? I had the 3x lens for my XL1 and it did NOT have OIS built in. I'm guessing because this is not really needed with a wide angle.

rg
Reed Gidez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2003, 08:46 AM   #252
Inner Circle

Most zoom through converters are three elements and some are four, so there is a slight light loss involved. It's not much, but if you're really struggling in the low light, then remove all filters and converter lenses.

The more wide-angle you go the less the apparent camera shake, but if you zoom to wide angle and switch Steady Shot on and off, you'll soon see that it's working hard for you if you track/walk as you film. The omission on the Canon 3x zoom was only to keep the price doiwn I reckon.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2003, 02:40 AM   #253
New Boot

yes rollerblading is good and it aint all about busting out the switchups. Switchups are a nice little neccessity in your rollerblading skill but the factors also include improv, cess slides and other take a spot with nothing and turn it into something kinda of deal

and btw im purchasing a nice gl 2 in the next few weeks :)
Steve Iacono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2003, 02:46 PM   #254
New Boot

When using frame mode and a wide angle lense together, do I turn on "wide screen"?

Do I turn on the camera's wide screen setting, or do I just let the lense do all the work?

And, shall I crop the frame in post if I want a wide screen look?
Old November 20th, 2003, 02:56 PM   #255
Trustee

Widescreen and wideangle are not the same thing. If you want anamorphic 16x9, you should use the widescreen function. If you want 4x3, use Normal. Either way, using the wide angle lens will give you a wider angle all around, independent of the aspect ratio.

If you use an anamoprhic adapter, however, then you stay in normal mode.

If you want widescreen created in post, then use normal mode.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders