Wide Angle Lens Converter for GL / XM - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 10th, 2003, 07:40 PM   #181
Major Player

Well, I decided on just getting the Canon's WD-58H lens int he end.

Cost $183 or something 1-day fedex.
Old July 10th, 2003, 10:31 PM   #182
Regular Crew

just got the wd58

I haven't had time to shoot with it yet. I'm floating the Chulitna river tomorrow (a med/small river in Alaska) and taking my Gl2. If I take the 58 I'll let you know what I thought of it. At first blush it's quite the imposing piece of glass. I doubt I'll be screwing it on while I'm floating; too many rocks to navigate and my pelican will be configured to have the 58 unmounted. But when we camp, if the weather will cooperate, I'll try to get some video. I don't have a rain jacket for it. We'll be out 5 days so I'm crossing my fingers for one good day since it's pretty rainy right now.
Old July 10th, 2003, 11:13 PM   #183
New Boot

Kenko 0.65 Bayonet

I recently bought the Kenko 0.65 bayonet from Tristate for $159. You can zoom through, but I wouldn't use a filter as well. BTW I didn't notice a perceptible degradation in my IS. My initial tests are very good, very sharp as far as I can tell. I'm real pleased with it. Thats my two cents.
Jason Keene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2003, 11:54 PM   #184
Inner Circle

Don, you think that the the adapter may change the calibration factors for the VAP action yet to all intents and purposes the VAP OIS is insensitive to the outside world. So much so that (unlike EIS systems) it'll work just as well in *total* darkness.

Work? Yes, all that's happening (as Andre points out) is that the camera is measuring the movement that is being applied to it. With these measurements on board it vibrates the front element of the VAP by pushing and pulling at the glass in two locations - bottom and side (90 degrees apart). So if you rock the camera in a vertical motion down at the back and up at the front (as you could by tilting on a tripod say) then the VAP will push the bottom of the front element in towards the camera body to compensate.

The OIS doesn't know or care that you have a wide-angle or a telephoto or a fishtank full of water attached to the camera - it vibrates that front element just as it always will with SSSS turned on.

It reacts with such amazing speed that it alters the prism's shape in sync with your camera shake, in time to bend the light that would be heading off to another part of the chip to be seen as shake. It is for this reason that I refer to it as the closest thing to magic that you or I posess.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2003, 12:15 AM   #185
Regular Crew

DIY lens

go to www.neilslade.com/lens.html

This works perfectly fine, and by varying your zoom, you can adjust the wide angle degree.

Works for the GL1, GL2, and any other camera of this size.

neil@neilslade.com
Neil Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2003, 12:23 AM   #186
Regular Crew

DIY WA lens

$40 for an excellent lens you put together yourself in an hour.

The idea of zooming through the whole focal length using a WA makes no sense to me.

Just take off the WA !!

http://www.neilslade.com/lens.html

Many folks have successfully made this and were quite happy with it.

Neil
Old July 11th, 2003, 02:11 PM   #187
Inner Circle

>The idea of zooming through the whole focal length using a WA makes no sense to me.

I'm a fellow that needs this ability. I'm regularly tape martial arts sparring in a 15' x 20' garage space using a tripod. I need the wide angle lens
to fit most of the action. I simply can not back up outside of the door!. When the guys are fighting in a corner, I need to be able to a nearly full zoom in on the action.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2003, 12:03 PM   #188
Regular Crew

Raynox

I use both a little .3 clip on for my Sony mini mini DV camera and used the bigger clip on .3 for my GL2

both were very satisfactory

barrel distortion is a part of extreme wide angle lenses. The only way to get rid of this-- if you really need to-- is expensive pro software.

But part of the lure of wide angle IS the distortion.

Zoom in a bit for less wide angle effect, obviously
Old July 14th, 2003, 12:21 AM   #189
Inner Circle

Neil - you say that part of the lure of wide angle IS the distortion. Well it may be for some (skateboarding movies seem to demand it) but for others (Krubrick's The Shining) it sure isn't. I hate it. If I track through a house I do not want to see the door frames bowing outward as I walk through them - it screams 'amateur' and 'cheepie' to me. Horizons should be straight wherever they are in the frame and telegraph poles should be vertical. Maybe it's just me.

Which is why I love the aspheric wide-angles. The Schneider (0.65x) and the Bolex (both difficult to find) give you zero linear distortion, and I have test pictures to prove it.

http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.de/katalog/08_aufna/b_optike.php

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2003, 11:00 PM   #190
Major Player

I ended up getting the Canon's own Wide angle lens with hood and it's a beautiful piece of glass indeed. Only downfall is that it adds some serious weight to the camera.
Old July 20th, 2003, 08:53 PM   #191
Regular Crew

Neil,

Can you post a still image from some footage from your w/a lens. I'd like to see a side be side with the lens on and off.

Thanks in advance,

Tom
Tom Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2003, 07:40 PM   #192
Regular Crew

tiffen 'wide' filters and vignetting

Just been kicking around the net recently and saw that Tiffen specifically makes 'wide' filters (I'm interested in UV and polarizer) that are slim (3 mm thick to be exact) so as to hug close to the camera so you can throw a wide angle in front and avoid vignetting. I've got a bone to pick however. At B&H I was reading the description and it read:

"...They do not have a front thread."

What?! If it's designed to go in front of your wide angle lens, then why on earth wouldn't it have threads in the front?

I'm semi interested in getting one, because I'd like to use a UV or polarizer with my wide angle whenever shooting landscapes and the sky. Vignetting is kinda unavoidable at this point with my current UV and polarizing filters. I got duped when ordering my GL1 into getting a 'pro filter set' (crystal vision to be exact) and it's quality is definately questionable.

I'd like to hear if anyone else around has these or has used them and what their take is on them. BTW - I'd be using it with a WD-58....well, thanks for your help/comments in advance!
Old July 24th, 2003, 08:03 PM   #193
Inner Circle

Hi,

Yeah, you really have to be careful with filters and front threads.
I was sharp enough to look at the picture carefully before I ordered. I thought the B&H salesman should have caught this
because I mentioned I was ordering filters for the Canon WD-58H wide angle lens.

Well, guess what? The Canon WD-58 WA lens doesn't have front threads, either. My Raynox WA has front threads, so I'm able to
attach 72 mm filters.

>"What?! If it's designed to go in front of your wide angle lens, >then why on earth wouldn't it have threads in the front? "

Read your own words, my friend !
Old July 24th, 2003, 08:04 PM   #194
Inner Circle

Yeah, the Crystal Optics filters sell for anything from $40-200.
The higher prices are reserved for the retail outlets that sell
the camcorders at a lower price, but only as part of a set that
includes the filters.
Old July 24th, 2003, 08:15 PM   #195
Regular Crew

ahso. Since I know the WD-58 doesn't have front threads I never considered attaching any glass to the front of it. Thanks for the responses guys.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders