Wide Angle Lens Converter for GL / XM - Page 20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 24th, 2004, 01:51 PM   #286
Major Player

Just to backup Franks recommendation. I put a filter between my old GL2 and the WD-58H, which ended up crossthreading on the wide angle. I finally got it off, but the threads on the wide angle were ruined.
Old February 24th, 2004, 02:14 PM   #287
Tourist

Apart from possible crossthreading, which can be avoided with care, does anyone know of an optical reason why not to put a filter between the wide angle and the standard lens? I have the same setup and I don't want the bother of taking the UV filter off the camera lens every time I want to use the wideangle
Noel Garner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 05:21 PM   #288
Regular Crew

Opteka Wide Angle Lens on GL2

I recently purchased a cheap kit with opteka wide angle and telephoto lenses and filter kit.

When I use the wide angle lens on the GL2 and it is zoomed out all the way, I can see the circle of the lens adapter on the frame? I figure this is because its a cheap lens, but I though I'd get everyone's opinion.

Is the lens a dead weight? If so, is the Canon WD-58 worth the money? Is this problem what everyone keeps talking about called vignetting?

You can download a screen shot taken with the lens on to see what I'm talking about:

http://homepage.mac.com/cwright3/FileSharing20.html

Thanks!
Chris Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 05:33 PM   #289
Inner Circle

First of all, that's a lot of baseballs and one sleepy cat.

Now, first of all, regarding the WD-50H (which I use), I don't see any of the lens when at full wide angle. If I did, I wouldn't be happy, because there's little point in purchasing a wide-angle lens that you can use when in the full wide-angle position. Sometimes, however, I can see a little of the lens edges, but this is never visible inside the 'TV-safe' area that you will see on your TV.

Secondly, this is NOT vignetting, which is a pattern on your video caused by filters (usually) that are not being used properly.
Old April 1st, 2004, 06:12 PM   #290
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Chris,
Are you sure you're seeing the Opteka's edges or could you actually be using, and seeing, your normal GL2 lens hood?

Hoods for wide-angle lenses must be shaped differently than for normal lens ranges. The hood on the WD58H is a good example, with cut-outs along the left and right edges.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 06:30 PM   #291
Regular Crew

I tried using the wide angle lens again without any lens hood at all, and still had the same problem, so it must be the opteka lens.

However, this "effect" disappears once I'm zoomed in about halfway. I guess its just a bad lens
Old April 1st, 2004, 09:27 PM   #292
New Boot

Does your lens have a macro, I just got a century fisheye for my GL2 and I will throw some impressions in this thread. BTW just how wide is your lens?
Fred Gullett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 09:31 PM   #293
Regular Crew

The label on the lens is: "Digital Super Wide 0.5X AF Precision Optics" and apparently has a macro because it says "macro" in big red letters on it :)

This is NOT a fisheye lens... just a 0.5X wide angle

thanks for your help!
Old April 1st, 2004, 10:38 PM   #294
Regular Crew

Are you sure you weren't in a submarine?
(sorry, slow shift at work, couldn't help it)

Any chance at a refund on the lens?
Old April 1st, 2004, 10:53 PM   #295
Regular Crew

well the unit is brand new, but I bought it as part of a GL2 accessory kit on eBay from a store called 47st. Photo.

The whole kit was pretty cheap, so I wouldnt be surprised if this problem is just because they sent me a cheap lens. I'll send the store an email anyway and see what they say
Old April 1st, 2004, 11:06 PM   #296
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Chris,
Yours is not atypical of a common problem video newcomers encounter: buying photo accessories for video cameras. I am not familiar, indeed I've never heard of, an "Opteka" lens. But there are dozens of accessory lenses and kits commonly sold by photo operations-turned-video-outlets. 47th Street Photo has been in the mail order business since Lincoln was shot (or at least its seems so). Over the years they have expanded into selling you-name-it but their heritage is deeply in still photography. So I would not be surprised to find that them inappropriately hawking photo accessories for video cameras.

I suspect that your wide angle adapter would work fine if mounted to a still camera lens that does not have a wider focal length than 50mm. But since the GL2's lens can pull out a bit wider, the Opteka's physical design is too thick to prevent its rim from encroaching.

That's part of why video-specific adapters like Canon's WD58H and Century's products are worth their prices. They're designed to be mounted on typical video camera zoom lenses.

I suggest trying to exchange the Opteka, although I'd be very surprised if 47th cooperates nicely.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2004, 04:27 PM   #297
Tourist

Wide Angle & Tele Lens

I'm new to the forum and to the videography business. I'm still in the process of acquiring equipment and have many questions. This forum has been very helpful!
I'm looking for a wide angle lens for my GL2 and am considering the Canon WD-58 adapter vs Century Optics .65. I'll be doing weddings and other events. I'm also looking at the Century Optics 2X Tele Converter as I plan to do some sporting events.
Any feedback on these items would be appreciated!
Also, has anyone had any problems getting their rebate from Canon for their GL2? I'm considering a second GL2 but I'm really peeved with them now (6 months and I'm still waiting)!
Jack Bethune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2004, 04:39 PM   #298
Capt. Quirk

Welcome aboard, and where the heck is Lutz? hehe...

As far as your wide angle, the WD 58 would be easier on the wallet, but most will tell you that Century is better. How much better? I don't know, but you can do a search for them at the top of the page, and find threads related to them.

As far as rebates, as a general rule, I avoid them. Sometimes they show, a lot of times they don't. I got mine from Canon after several months... after I had given up on it.
Old June 1st, 2004, 06:54 PM   #299
Tourist

Thanks for your quick reponse! After searching, I'll most likely go with the Canon lens for wide angle. I'm still not sure about the tele or wether I need one or not.
By the way, beautiful, downtown Lutz is close to Tampa (Go Lightning!!).
Jack Bethune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2004, 08:25 PM   #300
Capt. Quirk

I think I may have been there once... when I was lost on the west coast. That happens to me a lot ;)

Try doing a broader search here for your w/a... There have been a few brands recommended that are a little less than the WD58.

By the way... If that GL2 is like my GL1, you'll want the tele too. I just bought a cheapie off ebay, and hope to get it soon. I'll let y'all know how it works out.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders