Wide Angle Lens Converter for GL / XM - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 24th, 2003, 08:22 PM   #196
Outer Circle

If you mean the Tiffen wide angle adaptors, yes they (all) have filter threads on the front. There's lots of misinformation on the B&H website, I find. Kenko adaptors also come with filter threads on the front; and the Raynox adaptors I've seen also have them.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2003, 08:44 PM   #197
Regular Crew

Frank, we're talking about filters that are designed to go in front of or behind wide angle lenses (such as UV), not necessarily WA adapters. Just thought I'd clarify.
Old July 24th, 2003, 08:56 PM   #198
Regular Crew

UV protection. Or would it cause too many abberations and flares with that much glass between the WA and the camera lens? I've never had any problems doing it that way (aside from vignetting). Explain why in front of the WA is better? I think I have an idea but I'd like to hear from others.
Old July 24th, 2003, 09:09 PM   #199
Outer Circle

Quote:
Frank, we're talking about filters that are designed to go in front of or behind wide angle lenses (such as UV), not necessarily WA adapters. Just thought I'd clarify.
front: vignetting most likely - the ultra slim ones work best, depending on the adaptor - but with "wides," now you know why Century and Sony (and Canon I believe) don't bother to put threads on in front.

back: same, but sometimes it works - not recommended

Either way, you want the strong slim ones, that would be...the brand that Bryan Beas bought. Hoya, I think---also multi-coated.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2003, 11:07 PM   #200
New Boot

I use the Kenko wide angle .65 lens with the bayonet. It's very sharp, and it does have threads in the front but after I bought a UV filter for it I discovered that it adds a ton of excess flare and actually vignettes when its at its widest. Removing the UV filter solved the problem, and I use it all the time without any problems. I got it for $159 at Tristate photo.
Jason Keene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2003, 09:43 AM   #201
Major Player

Thanks for the review, Brendan - much appreciated. I'm more confident that the wd-58h is the way to go. Just in time for an order today.
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2003, 04:27 PM   #202
Regular Crew

wide angle

is there a huge difference between the glass or lenses available for the gl2.. there are plenty or lenses available on ebay anywhere from $60 to the wd-58h for $180..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=29964

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3335

how would those compare to the wd-58h.. i'm getting a wide angle for sure.. just wanted to find out any alternatives.. i like the fact that the wd-58 comes with a hood..

thanks..

-ryan
Ryan McCrary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2003, 04:31 PM   #203
Regular Crew

I got the 58h and use it a lot. The one thing I did not know when I got it is - you can not attach any filters to it. You will have to get a matte box if you want to use filters after you put the 58h on the camera. Some WA converters are threaded. I don't know which ones though.
Old August 10th, 2003, 06:30 PM   #204
Trustee

If you get the WD58 and have double threaded filters you can probably get away with one between the camera and the adapter. A polarizer might be a hard one to manage but other ones that don't rotate might be ok.

Do a search for Wide Angle on here and you'll find lots and lots of threads about it. It seems that the WD58 is the best bang for the buck cause it's got a good price, good quality and full zoom through. You can buy something fancier of course but you will pay a lot more.

Cheers
Aaron
Old August 10th, 2003, 06:32 PM   #205
Regular Crew

what about cheaper ones..
Ryan McCrary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2003, 06:37 PM   #206
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

When it comes to glass, there are no deals. Good glass is expensive to manufacture and expensive to buy. Why would you want to put crap in front of that outstanding Canon flourite lens? Bad glass turns that great GL2 to a piece of daddy-cam junk.

Save up for a good wide-angle adapter such as the WD58H or a Century Optics. Just go without until then.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2003, 06:57 PM   #207
Regular Crew

I hate to admit this, but I bought a $60 wide angle lens off of ebay. For what I do, I couldn't see spending the extra cash. Digital Optics .45x with macro from Japan. Although I've never used the wd58 on my GL2, I'm not that horribly dissapointed with the cheapie. It gives me a nice wide shot and I haven't had any complaints about the image quality.

I would never recommend that you get one in a pro environment, but hey, maybe its worth it for the other stuff.

If I get a chance, I will post len-on/lens-off pics so you can see for yourself.

Tom
Tom Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2003, 07:06 PM   #208
Regular Crew

Yea, I've just got the raynox .3x semi fish clip on for my rollerblading shots I do. It looks good but I'm going to upgrade to a century when I get the cash for it. They are a lot!
David Woodland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2003, 07:24 PM   #209
Regular Crew

On the WD58h, I do put a filter between the camera and the WD. I haven't put more than one on though. One of these days I know I will have to get matte box, but it will be awhile.
Old August 11th, 2003, 01:39 AM   #210
New Boot

Nobody ever seems to mention the Kenko bayonet WA adapter for GL2, but I've been using it for awhile and I love it. It's $159, (maybe even less now) and you can zoom through as well as put filters on if you'd like. I think Tokina/Kenko make decent glass, and the bayonet is a really fast take off/put on.
Jason Keene is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders