Wide Angle Lens Converter for GL / XM - Page 21 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 3rd, 2004, 08:20 PM   #301
Tourist

wide lens GL2

i want a wide lens attachment that is not costly. i found one that is 58mm, but it wasn't recomended for the GL2. would any 58mm fit? also would anyone suggest a certain one that won't break the bank? thanks.
Sam Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2004, 08:53 PM   #302
Capt. Quirk

If the lens you are looking at is for a still camera, it probably won't work. Look around for a used WD58- They can be found for around $100 to $130.
Old July 18th, 2004, 08:55 PM   #303
Major Player

Using the Wide Angle Lens all the time?

I am just wondering how many people use the Canon wide angle lens on their GL2 all the time?
I am getting sick of taking it on and off all the time and would rather just leave it on.

So I guess I am asking if you are in a situation where you really don't need the Wide angle, do you take it off? or just leave it on for simplicity sake?

Thanks for your input.
Old July 18th, 2004, 09:23 PM   #304
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

My WD58H is a permanent attachment to the camera. I can't remember when I last removed it.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2004, 09:34 PM   #305
Trustee

Well seeing as I'm not shooting all day, everyday I probably don't get as annoyed as others, but I remove mine. I don't like the barell distortion that's obvious when looking at things like doorways.

Aaron
Old July 19th, 2004, 12:24 AM   #306
Major Player

Jeff,

I shoot with the WD58H attached all the time as it gives me shots that I would otherwise not achieve.
Old July 19th, 2004, 12:50 AM   #307
Trustee

I use mine all the time. As for barrel distortion, you should zoom in a bit to lose it. You'll end up with the same shot as if you'd taken the lens off...

Robin.
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2004, 05:41 AM   #308
Tourist

Using zoom with WD58H

Hi everyone!

I got my WD58H to day and I'm planing to leave it on permanent. But I'm conserned about quality loss when using zoom. Will the WD58H influence the images when I use zoom ?

Vidar
Old August 14th, 2004, 01:16 PM   #309
Major Player

Is 0.5x Wide Angle too much?

Hi,
I´m in the process of buying a wide angle adaptor form my XM2.

I´m trying to decide if I should go for 0.7x or 0.5x.

I will be using it for fiction on small spaces, and events, mainly on-stage concert shooting.

Unfortunately around here, I can´t find anything in between these two sizes.

I know the 0.5x will be fine for the concerts, but I´m a bit scared that it will be too much "angle" for fiction.

What do you think?
Old August 17th, 2004, 11:55 AM   #310
Regular Crew

Yes on certrain shots with a .5x you will probably see some vignetting. Might not be obvious in some places but it'll be there. Just depends how important that exra reach is to you. A .7 should not have this problem
Ryan Mattos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2004, 12:47 PM   #311
Regular Crew

Federico - I highly recommend canon's WD-58h. If you research around the forums a bit you'll see that this is a highly revered option for the GL1/2 and the XM1/2. I can recommend it myself - I shoot almost enitrely with the adapter on my GL1 and have been extremely pleased. Minimal distortion, considerable wide angle of view, and moderately priced - it's just a good mix.
Old August 17th, 2004, 01:55 PM   #312
Major Player

I´d love to get the Canon... but unfortunately, this item is almost impossible to find here, and where available it goes for more than 300 Euros.. which is way too much for me right now.

Right now I can´t afford that, and I need It NOW.. so I´m looking into the few available options...
Which are very few.. and then I´ll upgrade when possible.

Anyway, I thought of getting the Raynox .65X but not available either, so I´m left with a .50 and a .70 and some hama but it has a 56mm thread diameter.

I don´t care too much about the vigneting, for the concerts I shoot I know it´s not a problem.. and for fiction I´ll be cropping for wide screen.

What worries me is that the barrel distortion will give me an excesive look for the fiction..
Old September 9th, 2004, 12:44 AM   #313
Major Player

Wide angle and light question

I need to buy a wide angle lens for my GL2 I already have the Century Optics Fisheye, but need something with no distortion. I film houses and need the widest angle possible without any distortion. Also I would like input on these cheap wide angle off eBay. My house tours are put on the internet, and are compressed a lot, so do I need to spend the money on the name brand? Some of these on eBay are going from $30-80.

Also I need a good light, I have a NGR that screws onto my camera, but it's only 50w (non-adjustable), I need something brighter that is going to light up a room (much more watts), and would also like it to be adjustable. Right now I'm using a shop light; it's working great but it a pain to take around and slows my shooting down. I would like to just hook it on my camera and move from room to room.

Thanks for the help.
Todd Kivimaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 12:59 AM   #314
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

The WD-58H is the best deal and perhaps best performer for a wide-angle, sub-fish-eye adapter. It's very good glass at a very modest price. Frankly, it's a crime to put cheap, slow glass full of aberrations in front of the GL2's outstanding lens. It basically degrades the entire camera.

Go over to the "Photon" forum for input on lights. You'll find a substantial body of information on the subject there.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2004, 03:12 PM   #315
New Boot

Buyer Beware

If you consider how much the WD-58H sells for (not to mention any of the Century Optics lenses), I wouldn't think anything that sells for in the price range you described would be worth purchasing.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Regards,

Rocky
Rocky Pope is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders