XH Custom Presets Download Library (copy) - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Closed Thread

Old March 30th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #211
Regular Crew

Thank you Steven for taking the time to post your new Panalook settings. I'm sure many of us really appreciate it.
So here it is guys, Steven Dempsey's new Panalook 2.0. I can't wait to try it out myself.
Attached Files
File Type: cpf PANALOOK2.CPF (40 Bytes, 1322 views)
Old March 31st, 2008, 01:30 AM   #212
Major Player

For those who are interested:
I made myself a preset, based on the Factory setting, with which I create footage with vivid and natural colors under various lighting conditions. Based on trial and error and testing the results via shooting all day stuff in my living room, my kitchen and the surroundings around our house, then capturing -> rendering -> burn it to DVD and watch it on my TV, I tuned the preset by comparing what I see on the TV to what I see with my bare eyes around me. I tested it last weekend with bright sunlight and later with a cloudy sky (indoors and outdoors), and during the evening with low-light and with my PAG light (also indoors and outdoors) and I see what I like and like what I see so I call it REALITY. Those who want to try, be my guest.
Attached Files
File Type: cpf REALITY.CPF (40 Bytes, 1175 views)
Old March 31st, 2008, 09:43 AM   #213
New Boot

I have been using Wolfgangs preset for a few weddings now and I am very pleased with the results. Have also tried the True Colour preset and you really have to crank up the WB to sort out the blue cast issue, But it is still very good.
My initial unscientific tests have been very pleasing in relation to REALITY preset, particularly at -3db. Will see how it copes at the wedding party at 6db and 12db for my next wedding which I feel will be the real test.
Old March 31st, 2008, 02:11 PM   #214
Major Player

I've also been trying the Wolfgang presets. I liked the colors although green was a little to hard in my opinion. But I noticed much ghosting with that presets while panning or with moving objects. Especially in low-light conditions. That's why I dissed them.
Old March 31st, 2008, 02:29 PM   #215
Disjecta

The only reason ghosting would appear would be if either of the noise reduction parameters are engaged. If you like the overall look of a preset and the NR is on, simply turn it off and there will be no more ghosting.
Old March 31st, 2008, 02:37 PM   #216
Major Player

OK. I thought NR1 and -2 were just one of the possible causes for ghosting. If they are the only cause I will try the Wolfgang presets again without NR.

BTW: First testings with your new Panalook setting are also very good. Much like my preset except for the lesser GC.

Do you think that PAL cams show different results with a certain preset than NTSC cams? Mine is a PAL version.
Old March 31st, 2008, 02:39 PM   #217
Disjecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees van Duijvenbode View Post

Do you think that PAL cams show different results with a certain preset than NTSC cams? Mine is a PAL version.
I couldn't really say.

The other possible reason for ghosting is that the shutter speed is set too low...check that also. Of course the shutter speed is independent of the preset parameters...sometimes it can get knocked.
Old March 31st, 2008, 02:41 PM   #218
Major Player

OK, come to Holland with your NTSC cam this summer and we search it out :-))
Old March 31st, 2008, 02:47 PM   #219
Disjecta

Okay, I'll be right there.
Old April 4th, 2008, 11:35 PM   #220
Major Player

Reality Preset

Kees,

Just wanted to let you know that I got a chance to use your "reality" preset today. I was filming a concert band festival and a stage with very uneven lighting. The preset seemed to be much more forgiving in the darker areas than many others. Have not edited yet but all looks good on the monitor. I think this will end up being a good wedding reception preset as well. Thanks for sharing!

Jonathan Schwartz
CA Video Productions
Old April 6th, 2008, 07:34 PM   #221
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Dempsey View Post
I actually quit using VIVIDRGB mainly because I found it to be too red. I now use a slightly modified version of my other preset Panalook and am getting much better results, not as vibrant but skin tones are more realistic.
I've tested Panalook 2.0 and totaly agree the skin tones are great. I love the Vividrgb but for shooting people the Panalook is better.

Also if anyone is trying to match up the HV20 to the A1 the Panalook 2.0 works great with the HV20 set to Cinemode and contrast and colour set to 0. I get very close results now with the 2 cams.
Old April 9th, 2008, 12:17 PM   #222
Major Player

It will be nice if you guys can post grabs or footage so we can compare. thx
Old April 9th, 2008, 12:22 PM   #223
Major Player

I second that. If you have a chance, please post up reality and panalook 2.0 grabs. I'm away from my A1 else I just test them myself. Thanks in advance.
Old April 12th, 2008, 10:14 AM   #224

hi all,

Is there a page with all the latest presets that you guys uploaded?
Its confusing to find them with all the ajustments and all.

many thanks, Jasper

Old April 12th, 2008, 11:47 AM   #225
Major Player

Jasper, send me an e-mail to kees-dot-duif at chello-dot-nl and I send you an archive. I collected them all. And there is a dutch forum now where the operator is busy to make a comparison video with 8 secs footage off all the presets that have been shared on this forum. Look here.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders