DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XH Custom Presets Download Library (copy) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/126811-xh-custom-presets-download-library-copy.html)

James Lynch May 22nd, 2008 07:56 PM

Updated Custom Preset List

8 Attachment(s)
The fourth group:

James Lynch May 22nd, 2008 07:58 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Fifth Group

Jeremiah Rickert May 22nd, 2008 09:29 PM

Can you put all the files into a single zip?

It's a pain in the ya-yas to download those individually.

Thanks!

JR

Arnold Tersteeg May 23rd, 2008 01:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremiah Rickert (Post 881941)
Can you put all the files into a single zip?

Here it is !

James Lynch May 23rd, 2008 07:57 AM

Updated Preset List

1 Attachment(s)
For those of you that aren’t sure of the definition and use of the 23 preset adjustments and what they do, the attached XL H1 booklet will be useful. While the specifics mentioned in the booklet are related to the H1, and not the A1, the definitions and descriptions are valid for the A1 too.

James

James Lynch May 23rd, 2008 08:03 AM

Arnold,

Thanks for zipping the files!

James

Deke Ryland May 23rd, 2008 08:18 AM

I was wondering if anyone had any particular favorites for a preset when it comes to shooting water scenes, like lighthouses and boats out on the water? Something that may make the water and sky a nice blue and would work in sunny/bright conditions. I've cycled through the presets and there are a couple that seem a lot better than others for this type of shoot, but thought I'd see if anyone here had any suggestions from their experience. Thanks!

Kees van Duijvenbode May 23rd, 2008 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcel D. Van Someren (Post 881779)
Recently I tried the REALITY preset and found it was almost exactly what I was looking for. I've been using that preset as a foundation and making some slight adjustments...

Marcel,
As the author of the REALITY preset I'm very curious about the changes you made. Can you please share them?

Marcel D. Van Someren May 23rd, 2008 04:36 PM

Kees,

I'll be glad to after I test it. I will hopefully be shooting footage sometime during this long, holiday weekend to test it. It could be that I can't improve on what you've done, then again... As soon as I have anything worthy, I'll post it.

Thanks for doing the work on the Preset in the first place!

Roger Shealy May 23rd, 2008 06:52 PM

I spent a little time working on some presets today and felt TrueColor and Panalook2 were tied for the most accurate presets. TrueColor may have been a little vivid and Panalook2 a little subdued and dim compared to what my eyes saw while shooting the test below:

http://vimeo.com/1060453

I'm trying to do some low light tests to see how I can best get good, dramatic interviews without a lot of "dancing" in the background.

Phil Taylor May 24th, 2008 11:01 AM

Roger Shealy Video

It appears to me that the Canon default and Truecolor are very, very close. Based on your video I really like the true color preset, at least for outdoor video. Thanks Roger

Roger Shealy May 24th, 2008 01:04 PM

The TrueColor has a little more punch to it, the default Canon is very flat. I like to do most of my color enhancements in the computer at post, but I'd like to get it close to accurate in the camera and work from there.

Raymond Toussaint May 24th, 2008 03:09 PM

I'm not in the game to spoil your pleasure, but it is almost impossible to judge settings seen in a compressed Vimeo movie. Simple as colors are completely off in the H.264 flash movs.

It is great to see the settings in a movie next to the other as a 'point of start', but more important is how a setting reflects skin tone. What it does in the shade parts, how it works on a white ball in the sun, the curve, things like that. Color alone is not the critical part and a flash movie can't show you the other elements.

my2ct: how more settings you create (lets go for the 100) how more confused you get.

Phil Taylor May 24th, 2008 05:00 PM

True Color

As I see it, all of the video examples would be off by the approximate same amount and a comparison of one to the other (not the ultimate video viewed on a good monitor or set) would be valid. Tht's all we are saying. I reiterate my comments and thanks again Roger.

Roger Shealy May 24th, 2008 07:34 PM

My pleasure Phil.

I enjoyed Gerts movie of a fixed background and it helped me get a feel for some of the options. The compression definitely causes some issues but hopefully it's one more data point that is useful.