DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XH Custom Presets Download Library (copy) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/126811-xh-custom-presets-download-library-copy.html)

Annie Haycock March 9th, 2008 09:37 AM

I was happy with the orginal Canon present when I first got my A1 (compared with the XM2 it was incredible), but after reading this thread, tried a few of the presets before settling on VIVIDRGB. Then last week I was filming red squirrels in Scots Pine forest - a habitat full of reds and mid-dark greens. Everything looked a bit too reddish - so I'll have to be careful, perhaps choose another preset, next time I'm in that habitat.

Steven Dempsey March 9th, 2008 09:42 AM

I actually quit using VIVIDRGB mainly because I found it to be too red. I now use a slightly modified version of my other preset Panalook and am getting much better results, not as vibrant but skin tones are more realistic.

Jonathan Schwartz March 9th, 2008 09:47 AM

Please Post

Steven,

Any chance of posting your modified panalook preset?

Jonathan Schwartz
CA Video Productions

Steven Dempsey March 9th, 2008 09:49 AM

I'll try to get to it in the next few days....really busy right now.

John Stakes March 17th, 2008 08:55 AM

Yes I recorded a reception last week and noticed VIVIDRGB is a bit red, so I switched it up a little...didn't modify, just fiddled with some buttons : )
Can't wait to see your update Steve.

Here is the latest preset: TrueColor

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=116993

Thanks Paolo!

Kees van Duijvenbode March 17th, 2008 04:12 PM

Hey Steve, how much is a few days ....?
I'm very anxious to try your new settings.

Dave Pecunies March 18th, 2008 10:44 AM

Does anyone know what setting would match a Sony Z1U. I have a shoot next week and everyone is using the Z1 and FX1 except for me with the A1.

Steven Dempsey March 18th, 2008 02:42 PM

Hmmm, I'm finding TrueColor to have a pretty major blue cast and also, given that the pedestal, setup and black are cranked all the way down, this means there will be very little detail in shadow. I wouldn't exactly call this a neutral preset by a long shot.

Taj Jackson March 18th, 2008 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Dempsey (Post 844595)
Hmmm, I'm finding TrueColor to have a pretty major blue cast and also, given that the pedestal, setup and black are cranked all the way down, this means there will be very little detail in shadow. I wouldn't exactly call this a neutral preset by a long shot.

I used the TrueColor settings taken from Paolo Ciccone's page. Not from the file provided before. There were two settings that were pretty different. That might explain the blue cast.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...=116993&page=2

I still don't know what to change to get more detail in the shadow area from this preset.

Steven, I've been using your VividRGB and love it. Hoping you post your new preset soon.

Bill Busby March 18th, 2008 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taj Jackson (Post 844747)
I still don't know what to change to get more detail in the shadow area from this preset.

Taj, the blacks are pressed for one thing. Try middle or stretch.

Steven Dempsey March 18th, 2008 11:06 PM

Three parameters affect black specifically:

1. Pedestal - negative numbers=blacker
2. Setup - negative numbers=blacker
3. Black - Press will crush the blacks, Mid is a good average of decent black levels, Stretch will make the blacks a little milkier but you will retain more detail in the recorded image.

Taj Jackson March 19th, 2008 12:23 AM

Awesome.. Thanks Bill and Steve

Steve Kachocki March 28th, 2008 06:59 AM

Modified Panalook?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Dempsey (Post 839572)
I'll try to get to it in the next few days....really busy right now.

Hi Steven D,
I am sure I speak for the crowd when I say that many of the users here are looking forward to seeing the changes you made to your panalook setting. I know you are busy making wonderful images and work pays the bills, but was wondering if you would just quickly post the cpf file without any explanations. Then we can all compare the new panalook to the original using one of the settings editors available to learn what you changed. This would be a good way for me to gain experience in understanding the changes and thier ultimate efect on the picture. We all appreciate your technical abilities. Thanks, Steve

Kees van Duijvenbode March 28th, 2008 07:04 AM

I second that.

Steven Dempsey March 30th, 2008 10:03 AM

Sure, here you go:

Panalook 2.0

Gamma: Cine2
Color Matrix: Cine2
Color Gain: -4
CPH: 0
Knee: Low
Black: Stretch
Master Ped: -7