DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XH Custom Presets Download Library (copy) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/126811-xh-custom-presets-download-library-copy.html)

Trish Kerr April 27th, 2007 09:25 PM

The file could be messed up. I think I may have had trouble with the final vividgrb preset and just entered the values into an available slot manually. The values are posted on one of these final pages - I can't recall if I did that because i needed another slot or that particular preset just wasn't loading properly

trish

Jim Miller April 30th, 2007 09:16 PM

Just got my A1 this evening -wow - lots to learn.

I Downloaded the .cpf files to my Mac, created a new folder on the SD card called PRESET and stuffed them in. After puttting the card back in my A1 all the presets were immediately available. Got to love this forum and all the folks that have contributed.

Phil Kay May 1st, 2007 01:42 AM

I can't open the files on my Mac for some reason?

Chris Hurd May 1st, 2007 06:44 AM

You don't "open" the .CPF files on a Mac or a PC. You open them in your XH A1.

Christopher Kuhn May 1st, 2007 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Kay (Post 670427)
I can't open the files on my Mac for some reason?

You might want to try this nice little app:

http://www.felixtheissen.com/apps/We...and%20win.html

Amie Spiridigliozzi May 1st, 2007 08:05 AM

Presets

Does anyone have the actual presets list? I tried downloading these and they won't open.

PRESET05.CPF "LOWLT12" is for shooting in low light with 12db gain.

What are the exact presets for each so I can do it manually?

Thanks!

Chris Hurd May 1st, 2007 08:20 AM

All of the settings are listed in detail, in the Excel spreadsheet in the first post of this thread.

Peter Jefferson May 3rd, 2007 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Gentry (Post 657196)
It looks like the DVX is crushing the blacks more than the A1. It favors the Canon to my eye. It seems the Canon could be getting a larger lattitude. It also appears that the blue in the sky and greens in the trees are darker on the DVX despite the fact that the white vehicles look closer to blown out on the DVX. This points to more contrast on the DVX (or less lattitude.) I like the fact that the Canon is resolving more shadow detail and higlight detail to my eye. I do large-fomat printing for a living so color comparisons are always interesting to me...

-Jonathan

One fundamental thing your forgetting is that the DVX100 here (in this case) is NTSC (411)
More than likely the A1 footage your seeing is HDV or downscaled HDV... (420)either way, its a different colour space, UNLESS both images are shot in DV mode on both cameras..

Another thing to note is the DVX is NOT a native 16:9 cam, so 25% of the CCD isnt in use, therefore its not taking in as much light, or resolving as many pixels as teh A1. Hence the lack of sharpness and gamma lattitude.

Dont get me wrong, the A1 is a brilliant tool, but when comparing one must be sure to be accurate in all aspects

Meryem Ersoz May 9th, 2007 01:45 PM

here's a bit of custom preset sample footage:

http://www.planetestudios.com/bhutan.html

the first is panalook, the second vividgrb, and the third is my own preset memory...

a note: from shooting around in bhutan, memory looks best if you have some dramatic colors, there is a lot of red and orange in the bhutanese landscape, so the footage i shoot using it looked awesome. also, it helps to blow the highlights a bit....

Mike Banks May 9th, 2007 03:58 PM

Very interesting thread! I've only had my A1 for a week, screwed up my first shoot due to taking lights but not being able to figure how to use the machine (had EOS 5D brain on) but that may have been a good thing as it spurred me on to really get to know this machine. To be honest I was a bit scared of all the tweaks but after reading this thread and playing with the A1's custom settings have started to fall in love with it!

Anyway, what puzzles me is why Canon don't do what they do for us EOS users with DPP software and have a bunch of standard settings (eg, portrait, landscape etc etc) on the web site.

Top thread and very, very useful!
:)

Mike

Bill Watson May 9th, 2007 07:20 PM

Thanks to all those who set up and made the presets available. Great stuff.

Just one thing. I've got the PAL manual and the instructions for loading the presets is on Page 77 of my book.

Actually, once I finaly figured out that I didn't really need to load them but simply access them straight from the card, all became blindingly clear.

Once I've settled on six favourites I'll load them in the camera and keep the rest on the SD card.

Once again, thanks. This is a fantastic resource and I hope some day to be able to add something to it myself.

Jeffrey A. Reyes May 9th, 2007 10:01 PM

Help

I can't seem to download the Excel file.

What gives?

Bill Busby May 9th, 2007 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey A. Reyes (Post 676264)
I can't seem to download the Excel file.

What gives?

That's like telling a mechanic, "My car doesn't work. What's wrong with it?"

Can you elaborate so someone can help you?

Bill

Jeffrey A. Reyes May 9th, 2007 10:22 PM

Nevermind...

I got it now.

It was easy and they look great. Can't wait to test them.

Thanks Chris!

Henk Schaap May 10th, 2007 03:44 AM

Vividrgb

Thanks to all who give such excellent advice. I am very glad I joined this group.

Just made the Vividgrb stettings in my almost brandnew A1 and wow, what a difference to the normal settings.

From Holland,
Henk