Firstlight = Awesome - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old April 18th, 2010, 12:32 PM   #31
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Nik,

If you are seeing something wrong on a full res HMDI (BMD Decklink Intensity, AJA Express I/O, AJA LHi, Matrox MXO2? -- not off you video card I hope) output, then talk to support, as you failure is not the codec, but potentially something upstream. A video card feed can be way unreliable -- 99% a designed for games not pro video and have al sort on inappropriate assumptions. Solution, I have suggested a simple test, VirtualDub -- that tool will not mislead. If you see problems in VirtualDub, talk to support, as you have a setup issue, and you are not experiencing a CineForm workflow.
Old April 18th, 2010, 12:45 PM   #32
Trustee

David, while we are on the topic...

You mentioned that it is imperative to monitor video on the external video display via a pro output card like AJA etc., because "the program window is neither color or resolution accurate. " You were referring to Premiere, AFAIK.

Does this statement pertain to After Effects program window, too? I ask because this is how I monitor, in the AE window on the 2nd display, which is a calibrated NEC 2690wuxi2. And I never had any issues with color accuracy or such. But maybe I'm missing something - please advise, thanks.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Correct Im using a Nvidia card for HDMI output. I own a MBD intensity, but since that card requires me to use THEIR project preset to see anything going out, and Cineform requires me to use ITS project preset to work properly, Im out of luck.

Installed VirtualDub, whereafter I experienced that it requires me to find some codec to even load any files, to which the official website gives no info, and since Im not keen on downloading stuff from questionable sources, Im out of luck there to.

I guess I'll wait untill CS5, and try the new Neo 5, or wait untill my Scarlet comes out of the pipeline and work straight with the R3D files.
Nik Skjoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #34
Trustee

Nik, I'd recommend you go ahead and finish installation of VDub. It has many many great features, as well as filters (plugins) that you can download for it free. When you see what that free program does, you'll be very happy to have it. VirtualDub has been a staple of video editor's toolkit for many years now.
Old April 18th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #35
Regular Crew

And where do you get the codecs for it?
Old April 18th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Skjoth View Post
And where do you get the codecs for it?
Nik, not sure what codecs Virtualdub is asking for. Virtualdub functions are done in AVI format so Cineform files work very well. No other codecs should be required.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 01:14 AM   #37
Regular Crew

this is what I get when loading cineform files
Attached Thumbnails
Firstlight = Awesome-virtualduberror.jpg  
Old April 19th, 2010, 03:45 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Now.. A small update. Sorry for hijacking the thread like this, but its somewhat relevant to the whole FirstLight thing, since FL is (for me) useless without premiere working like it should.

First off. I reinstalled my Blackmagic Intensity card with latest drivers, and tested the whole workflow.

In FirstLight I was plesently surprised when I found that the intensity infact did get a signal when using FL. The image was pristine in every way. Full realtime playback, and it was especially gratifying to see how the playback kept going without any hickups while scrolling the color settings. Even Redcine cant pull that off. So that part of the test was a PASS!

In AE the image seemed to be just fine, and acceptable for grading, exept the fact that I cannot feed my external monitor with a signal from AE. and ofcourse no realtime playback in AE since everything needs a ram preview.
So here is my question for you Alex. How can you live with grading a 5-10 minute project with the capacity to only watch 10 sec pieces at a time? Thats not a very fluent workflow. I want to be able to watch the whole thing in one roll to see how individual clips match up against eachother. In real time - In full res - without having to export movie every time.

In Premiere 4 I startup a project using Blackmagic preset. Jpeg. 720@50p. Import the HDLink converted clip, and - It plays back in slow motion. (both on the program screen and the external "through HDMI BMD intensity" Full ress, no drop frame, but out of sync with the audio. approx 50% slower. (is Cineform having problems with 50fps footage?) I tried interpreting the clip to 25p, and it seemed to play in sync with the audio at half speed. maybe a coincidence, maybe not. Loaded a XD cam native file into the same timeline, played back just like it should.

Read somewhere that you shoud always load Cineform preset project in premiere, to make it work properly. And obviously that fixed the slowmotion issue, but then the external monitor got no signal.

So here is the inherent issue with Cineform as I see it. It's not compatible with Premiere pro CS4 + intensity pro. The intensity will not work in a Cineform timeline, and the Cineform files will not work in a Blackmagic timeline.

Is that the test you were looking for?

Im sorry for failing to make VirtualDub work, but it simply wont, and I don't see how it would transfer into making premiere pro work. There is nothing wrong with my system. I guess the sucessfull Firstlight test confirms that.
Old April 19th, 2010, 08:58 AM   #39
CTO, CineForm Inc.

You clearly you don't have a working CineForm install as VirtualDub works with the simpliest install from the free decoder all way to Neo3D. Contact support.
Old April 19th, 2010, 11:03 AM   #40
Inner Circle

Slightly off-topic.

Since my computer got king-hit by the kieve.exe virus, I had to go back to an old Premiere Pro 1 version.

My PP2 install disk got bitrot almost from new and Adobe wouldn't replace it even for extra charge which I was prepared for, only wanted to sell me CS4 and I refused to be cashcowed like that.

That gutsache aside and out of the way, it is gratifying to discover that free Neo Player in the meantime works quite happily with PP1 which I still have a workable disk and computer for.

Thanks for your efforts David.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
You clearly you don't have a working CineForm install as VirtualDub works with the simpliest install from the free decoder all way to Neo3D. Contact support.
Yeah.. obviously the thing that happened was that I uninstalled Cineform before installing Visualdub. When opening Media player suddently I got a "Medialooks" Icon embedded in the videos???. I was ready to throw in the towel, so after reinstalling Cineform and visualdub again, it worked.. But what kind of realization am I supposed to get from this.. Yeah the vid looks fine in visualdub.. so? I cant edit there.

Contact Support? Which one.. Cineform? Adobe? Blackmagic Design? Whos the one to blame? All Im gonna get is tossed around from one to the next, in the neverending blame game.. Im out.

Im telling you.. PPro 4 + Intensity pro + Cineform.. bad mix.. test that.

Thanks guys for trying.
Old April 19th, 2010, 11:17 PM   #42
Major Player

Nik...wise decision...I think it's best....
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 11:30 PM   #43
Trustee

I think it is generally accepted that not all combinations of hardware/software that were *supposed* to work on paper, actually do. Especially in the areas that push/test the capabilities of technology, particularly video post-production.

That's why it is important to find a hard/software combination that works for you, and basically lock it so not to throw off the delicate balance :)

That's what I do, in any case...
Old April 22nd, 2010, 01:49 AM   #44
Regular Crew

I played around with First Light, and I liked what I saw. But the program was a little too glitchy, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled NeoScene. But now I'm getting that color histogram thingy showing up on all my video clips, no matter where I open them (Vegas, Media Player, etc). I thought that would go away when uninstalling NeoHD?
Attached Thumbnails
Firstlight = Awesome-flwaveform.jpg  

Last edited by D.R. Gates; April 22nd, 2010 at 05:55 AM.
D.R. Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 05:49 AM   #45
Regular Crew

Wow, that histogram is really getting on my nerves. I removed every single Cineform file on my computer and did a system restore. That dumb thing is still showing up on any video I watch.
D.R. Gates is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase