DR-HD100 various topics - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old August 3rd, 2007, 02:23 AM   #136
Major Player

DR-HD100 resets sometimes to factory defaults

I have a random problem with my DR-HD100 that during startup it resets sometimes to factory defaults screwing my recording as it doesn't default to HDV.
How are the settings stored in the unit? Does it have a small battery which needs to be replaced for example?
This is very annoying as I need to make sure it performs 100% reliable as I don't use tapes anymore.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 02:09 PM   #137

My unit will also "reset" to default settings. It happenes whenever I mistakenly touch the "power on" button after the system is already powered on. I had to put a small piece of tape over the Power On button to keep from hitting it by mistake.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 02:22 AM   #138
Major Player

This could be the case for me too as I in a quick run and shoot moment want to be sure that the unit is on.
It could happen that I then press the Power button again while it is already on.
Looks like a bug then? I try it out if I can repeat it.

Edit: When I press the power button again (while the unit is on), it does reboot the unit indeed.
That doesn't look right? The manual doesn't mention anything about this.
I suspect if I press the Power button while it is already booting that there could be a glitch erasing my non-volatile memory?
Is there anyone from Focus who could jump in please?

Last edited by Marc Colemont; August 4th, 2007 at 03:29 AM. Reason: add-on
Old August 4th, 2007, 06:31 AM   #139

I can't begin to tell you the frustration and lost footage I've experienced over this little "feature". Hope you get some response from Focus, but, I doubt it.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #140
Major Player

DR-HD100 firmware uprgade problems

I've searched this forum about my upgrading problems but only find out-dated threads from 06, and can't find any ultimate solutions. So, sorry if you guys have been over this a thousand times already.

In my DR-HD100 settings menu (which I purchased new three months ago) it says I have version 1.0.0.04031006

I have downloaded off both this site, and the Focus Enhancements site, various DR-HD100 firmware updates which all give me a "dr-hd.bin" file and a "readme" file with instructions about how to install. I've followed the instructions exactly and tried each upgrade independently of the other. I can get none of them to work, however. I just keep getting the "Upgrade Error - WRONG PRODUCT ID" message.

I've read on this forum that others are using the "v2.2.1.04 update released April 25, 2007" while I'm still driving Fred Flintstone's car with boulders for wheels.

Can anyone help? Focus Enhancements is closed till Monday...

Thanks
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #141
Major Player

Matt (from Focus Enhancement), can you help us with this one please?
Old August 10th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #142
Regular Crew

DR-HD100 v2.2.1 released

Vers. 2 is a major update you have to pay for. You can order online, but the update comes on a disk. Only minor updates are downloadable for free.

V2.0 was released in October 2006. So your DR-HD100 (purchased in June?) should already have the update. Refer to this: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....2&postcount=67 and let your dealer pay the update...
Andreas Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 02:34 PM   #143
Major Player

Thank you Andreas, that helps me a lot.
Old August 11th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #144
Regular Crew

DR-HD 100 cable for anton bauer power

Will this cable work(Ptap-ZPRT+-XX) for power form my anton bauer 120 brick? has anyone
tried this.

http://www.thebroadcastshop.com/sale...owertap&page=3

thanks Guys
Shawn
Shawn Kessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 11:22 PM   #145
Contributor

Although having bought it only 3 months ago he should be entitled to a free upgrade surely?
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 03:58 AM   #146
Contributor

Shawn, I'm pretty sure you need the 2.5mm right angle jack, centre pin positive.

I needed a 2.1mm to 2.5mm out of my battery and I can't remember which end was which, but I'm fairly certain the FS had the larger diameter centre pin.

Would pay to check first - I just bought the gear from my local electronics store.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 01:45 PM   #147
Major Player

Thanks a lot for your help guys. Focus Enhancements is taking care of everything - no charge. I just sent them my receipt which confirmed when I purchased it and they're sending me the upgrade files now.

Thanks again, Eric
Old August 22nd, 2007, 04:48 PM   #148
Regular Crew

Same 22hr. Time Code problem

I'm having the same problem. I'm using the DR-HD100 with a JVC HD250.
In our case, we've determined that when hitting the "STOP" button on the Firestore after recording a clip causes that clip to have time code that is 22 hrs. and something. However, if we record a clip and simply hit the REC button again on the JVC, which pauses the tape and also puts the Firestore in "Pause" mode (with the LCD screen flashing red), the time code is correct when ingested to our Mac Pro.
Todd Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 09:15 AM   #149
Regular Crew

Check DR-HD100 copying file-by-file!

Had a scary experience with one of our DR-HD100 drives today...some of the files would not copy off the drive - ! This was the first time we had any scare from these wonderful, wonderful Focus Enhancement drives.

After the shoot I dragged the whole clip-containing folder on the DR-HD100 over to our storage drive as usual, but the copying just stopped at a certain point. It just would not copy the last 10 or 12 clips at the bottom of the folder list.

The "repair" function did not fix the problem. I had to drag the remaining files one-by-one, and watch them copy at approximately 1/60th normal speed. V-e-r-y, v-e-r-y, s-l-o-w-l-y. Got all the clips off the drive in the end but that was pretty scary. The copy was so slow that for a long time, I did not even see it happening. I thought the files were totally stuck on the DR-HD100. But actually the would copy: Just incredibly slowly.

What caused this to occur? The DR-HD100s are FAT-32s and we are 100% Mac shop here so I am not familiar with the behavior of this type of drive. We had no Disk Warrior type program to deal with this problem. Of course we always re-format the DR-HD100 prior to every use...have no idea what caused this.

It happened the day of the shoot, when we copied off the drive on returning to the office...and it happened again two weeks later when I tried to copy off the DR-HD100 again to make a second back-up (that's when I actually discovered the problem!) -- so it surely was not about the DR-HD100's battery (it was plugged in) or some sort of momentary overheating. Those files just refused to copy in the normal way both times, and I don't know why.

The big lesson here is to ALWAYS CHECK the copied file list against the list on the DR-HD100 to make sure that all the files have copied-over.

If I had not done a file-by-file comparison of the two drives after the copying, I might have re-formatted the DR-HD100 for the next shoot and lost the material.
Old August 26th, 2007, 10:29 AM   #150

My experience with the FS4HD unit(which is for all intents and purposes, the same as the dr-hd100)is that the firewire connector is extremely delicate. if you bump the connector while recording you may or may not suffer a dropout. even if you don't suffer a dropout, you get a corrupted file....hence the very long and shaky download. for some reason, it seems to be recoverable...sometimes, depending on the nature of the corruption. I've had to quit doing DTE recording and always use a backup tape because of the unreliability. very discouraging.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore