DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Helping Hands (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/helping-hands/)
-   -   Helping Hands from 2006 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/helping-hands/19553-helping-hands-2006-a.html)

J. Stephen McDonald March 20th, 2006 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Kinney
I am posting this again in the hope that there might be some new members since I last did. I am looking for a general production partner. Someone interested in narrative film, short form or long, for festivals.

Particularly someone who is aware of the constraints of micro budget movie making. Too many people I talk to want to make the next matrix and think they can do it with their HandyCam.

Actually, anyone at all who is interested in film in the city, let me know. I'd like to start a project soon, and I can't do casting alone. I'd just look creepy.

DJ

DJ, I know the realm of micro-budget video very well. With some of my donated services to non-profit groups, I've had complaints about the cost of the blank tapes I've used. But, I'm in Eugene and don't travel much. I use a VX2100 and a TRV730 and will get a mini-HDV camcorder in the next few months. I've worked several times with another videomaker on musical and cultural events, but I've specialized more with athletics and wildlife. Also, I've done several airshows. Let me know if you're ever doing anything around Eugene and need a bit of help with another camera. I'm far better at shooting, than I am with advanced editing work. Good luck to you in Portland. My Dad was raised there and I have many relatives in the area. One bunch of cousins runs an electronics store out towards Beaverton.

Chris Barcellos March 20th, 2006 09:41 PM

"Also, I've done several airshows."

JSM:

I went to California Capital Air Show this weekend and shot tpes in HDV. First time I'Ve tried anything like that. First tape was pretty bad. One thing i might try next time is getting back aways instead of thinking I have to be right up on it. Any hints ?

Paul Reichelt March 20th, 2006 11:11 PM

Hey Jonathan,

I'm in Boone as well (well from Cary), but up here in Appalachian for the Fall Semester.

How goes :)

J. Stephen McDonald March 21st, 2006 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
JSM:

I went to California Capital Air Show this weekend and shot tpes in HDV. First time I'Ve tried anything like that. First tape was pretty bad. One thing i might try next time is getting back aways instead of thinking I have to be right up on it. Any hints ?

Chris, you don't need a telextender or even a long lens for most airshows, as those birds are pretty big. It's always best to get back away from the showline and the crowds. Ideally, find a place on higher ground. If you get there early, think about how many spectators are likely to crowd you out in your chosen position, after the show starts. I use two highly-directional shotgun mikes on a 16-inch wide stereo rack and that cuts out a lot of the crowd and loudspeaker noise and focuses the sound pickup on the planes in my lens. I use my full shoulder-mount/steadying rig to smooth out my wide range of panning and tilting. When a plane is going to pass by, I position my feet to point towards the middle position, so I can swivel my body for the full shot, without having to lift and turn them. The same principle applies to shooting races at track meets. I can't imagine anyone doing full coverage of an airshow with a tripod, but I guess some people try. I think that a good shoulder-mount would be most useful with an HD-cam, as every wobble shows up more (or so it seems). Even though an HC3 would weigh only 1.25 lbs., if I used one for something like an airshow, I'd have about 11 lbs. total on the whole rig. When I used this type of counter-balanced shoulder-mount with my 17-lb. Beta, the whole thing weighed 24 lbs. When I took it on a 12-mile wildlife hike, I changed hands every 200 yards and considered it my main exercise for the day. I'll tell you though, that big, manual-focused camera was no good for getting long, unbroken airshow shots. Every shot had heavy editing needed at both ends. I like to have continuous coverage of full action-sequences with things like this and with athletic events, so my cameras that have good and steady autofocus, were what I mostly have used. However, manual audio-uptake is best, if you have it. I did one airshow where they had simulated bombs and they shut down my audio for about 2 seconds, when it was on auto. My Sony camcorders have been much better on auto audio, than my Canon models, as they don't over-react to sharp noises. My very best airshow sequence of all, was shooting Lefty Gardner, when he did a full aerobatic performance in his beautiful P-38, called "White Lightning". When those turbo-charged engines howled past, my stereo mike set-up got some great sounds. I often put that on my surround-sound and crank up the level. Several friends have worn out videotapes of that Confederate Airforce show I gave them, doing the same thing repeatedly over several years.

Jerry Porter March 21st, 2006 11:34 AM

I'm in Greesboro and I'm always looking to get in on some creative projects. Let me know. Have gear will travel. ;-)

Marco Wagner March 21st, 2006 11:53 AM

Phoenix, AZ - Need grip/production assistant soon

We are currently finishing the screenplay for our first horror/thriller. We will be in actual production sometime in May. I need a couple willing folks to help with production one night a week and/or one weekend night. I'll be posting more info. as it comes in. Positions would be like grip/gaffer, make-up, etc. This would be volunteer work as our budget is that of a 60year old on SS. BUT i will supply snacks and drinks.

Elliot Gabor March 21st, 2006 07:46 PM

videographer or still photographer for wedding in Israel

If anyone is based in Israel and is intrested in shooting or photographing a wedding at the end of the summer please contact me. I am looking fro 24p, widescreen and or hd if possible on the video end and full frame digital or medium format film on the photo end but if you are around that area and intrested e-mail me despite the equipment you own.
egproductions@optonline.net
thanx

Paul Reichelt March 21st, 2006 08:51 PM

Same thing, although I'm busy as heck until sometime next month I've got a fair bit of equipment too.

Shaun Patterson March 22nd, 2006 08:09 AM

Demo Reel

Hello,

I have emassed enough work to finally put together a demo reel and am looking for some input on what sort of things i should include. I have a good cross section of material and can make it as long a needed. Optomally I want to make something that will be viewable onlne and showcases by talents in editting and video post.....I would love to hear any suggestions y'all might have.

Arnold English March 22nd, 2006 03:20 PM

I apologize for my slow response.Admin corrected a problem I had with logging in. My "rep" says the SAG process should be complete in 4-6 weeks, so estimate shooting in mid-May. The SAG agreement states anything less than 35 minutes is a "short." We have (4) day shoots, none over (5) hours. We're willing to pay $100 a shoot. We'll need your assistance in finding location shots and your presence at the casting call, so add another $100 dollars.
If interested, please state here. All we ask is that you KNOW what you're doing with the XL2.

Pat Miller March 22nd, 2006 10:25 PM

I'm confused about what you're looking for

I don't mean to be a nitpicker but when you say you'll pay 100.00 per shoot----what exactly are you considering a shoot? (cause I don't break out my camera for less than 250.00 a day and that doesn't include my 'operating cost'......!!) And you're asking for a pro?

Ash Greyson March 23rd, 2006 02:30 PM

I do some work in the Dallas area and even the cheap ENG guys are $250 a day. If you are looking for more of a creative film/tv type, double that. You might be able to get someone to do 1/2 day for $250

ash =o)

Anthony Mooney March 23rd, 2006 07:34 PM

wedding videographer

Hi

I need some help this coming summer for wedding videography - Central NJ.
Must have gear and experience.

Thank you

Anthony

Shaun Patterson March 24th, 2006 08:47 AM

C'mon guys i know you must have some tips and tactics to help a new guy get his reel together.

Meryem Ersoz March 24th, 2006 10:21 AM

do a "demo reel" search. it's been discussed pretty extensively, and very experienced DPs, like charles papert, have provided links from their own reels to dvinfo, so that we can see how others are going about putting reels together....