Dreaded white DOT - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old October 27th, 2008, 08:09 PM   #76
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
AHHH. Prism block includes the 3 CCDs that are glued in place. So it does make sense.
I'm glad it makes sense :) I was told that this was a pretty big (and probably expensive) part of the camera. Anyway, JVC replaced it and my problem with those white dots seems to be gone! I let it record until the hard disk was full (twice now) and there's absolutely no trace of any white dot in the recorded movies! To be sure I'm going to do some outside recording tomorrow.
Sander Spies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #77
Regular Crew

oh, man... I just saw this post and went thru all the pages...

I just bought the HD7 used from Steve. I hope I don't run into this issue when it counts for my footage... I am feeling kind of bummed out now...
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #78
HDV Cinema

Don't worry. I checked the camera. And, you've been using it.

It seems there are two kinds of dots. One is where, for some reason, the CCDs get killed by something. Once killed, they need to be replaced. This seems to be very rare otherwise the boards would be filled with posts. They aren't.

The second is temporary dots that are related to very high heat. I experienced this once after shooting with two camcorders on a 115+ day in Las Vegas. I left the camera I wasn't using on a table in the hot sun. I used the HD7 second. (Now I know why they make silver cameras.)

My HD7 movies that day had a few dots and I thought it was broken. I found this thread and was about to ship it in for repairs. After I erased the disk's content, I recorded a new clip for JVC. NO DOTS!

They were gone and never came back. Lesson learned when shooting in LV.
Old January 19th, 2009, 03:09 AM   #79
Major Player

And mine's been fine since I had it repaired. I tested it day after day after day (for about 5 weeks - seriously!!) and not a spot of bother.

However I am now selling because I've ordered a 5D MkII to replace both the HD7 and the Canon EOS 400D for my work.

Damn fine camera though, as you can see here…

Soft Layeth the Land on Vimeo
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 12:28 AM   #80
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson View Post
And mine's been fine since I had it repaired. I tested it day after day after day (for about 5 weeks - seriously!!) and not a spot of bother.

However I am now selling because I've ordered a 5D MkII to replace both the HD7 and the Canon EOS 400D for my work.

Damn fine camera though, as you can see here…

Soft Layeth the Land on Vimeo
I have noticed dead pixel, in my HD7, what would be solution? Is this because of heat or something else? Mr. Mullen, wrote some time back that, there would be two reason, one is too much heat and another is CCD problem, any idea?

Thanks
Kaushik Parmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #81
New Boot

It's almost a year later now and I hardly used the camera in the past year, but when I did use it a couple of days ago, the resulting files showed again white dots (although not immediately, which may or may not have something to do with the camera getting hot after some time)...
Sander Spies is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series