JVC finally announces HD Everio!!! - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old January 10th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Hi

I've read somewere that it would record 1080p and 720p, but would output 1080i (over wires). If you were to trasnfer the files to you system it would be what ever you set the cam to (1080p or 720p) I got this info from a Japanies site. don't hold me to it. I guess we want have any true info until the paper works shows up on the website at JVC. I can't wait, I'm getting one ! How about you ?

Len
Leonard Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #47
MPS Digital Studios

Um, that's news to me. JVC is 720p, and when I think of JVC HDV, I think of 720p.

heath
Old January 10th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #48
Regular Crew

Hi

I really like the 720p, I hope it will do both, only time will tell.
If the system on the cam is like the MC500,555 or the 505 it should have some nice controls. I have the 505 3ccd and the GR-HD1 cant wait..
the 505 controls smoke the GR-HD1 controls. ma.. and auto mode. very nice system..

Len
Old January 11th, 2007, 07:13 AM   #49
Regular Crew

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...ons-Review.htm

"With tantalizing options such as 1080i and 720p recording modes, a 60GB HDD, full manual control over many image controls, a manual focus ring, and a microphone jack..."

So, it DOES 720p? 720p/what? 24? 25? 30?

How about a headphones jack?

HOW DO YOU CONTROL THE EXPOSURE??? Can you use the ring for that or do you have to go in the menu?

Grrr! A lot of questions...

Thanasis
Thanasis Grigoropoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 07:31 AM   #50
Trustee

I had to modify this post as I have learned this camera will indeed have a 720p mode- this thing is just looking better all the time- I hope they can keep the price point as promised (or lower.)

<And it seems they WILL be including some sort of software for Intel Mac users!!!)

This has got to be the sleeper hit of early 2007!!!!

I predict tons of "used" hd cams on the classifieds when this thing comes out.

Last edited by Steve Nunez; January 11th, 2007 at 09:56 AM.
Steve Nunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #51
Major Player

If this 720P mode is true, then it seems that I am in. Perfect companion to my HD100 in 30P mode. Of course, it would be nice of JVC came out with one that does 24P as well...
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #52
Regular Crew

Hi

Yes, it has a mic jack I read that not sure about head phones, It will have a small speaker on it . I saw a pic of the side door open and it had the speaker holes just like my 505 did. If you look at the pics from the JVC website you will see - Vol + on the zoom control that is for the volume on the speaker and maybe head phones
Old January 11th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #53
Major Player

You had better check that article again. If it did detail 720p at one stage it has been edited to remove this now making it suspect if it has it at all.

It is also pretty poor for the reviewer to compare 30Mbps MPEG-2 to 24Mbps MPEG-4 and imply that 30/MPG2 will be better. 30Mbps will indeed provide good MPEG2 quality but I think 24Mbps MPEG4 has as much if not more quality capabilities. Most HD encoding to MPEG4 codecs use more like 10-15Mbps so 24Mbps is extremely high.

PS: That software for Mac users appears to require a dual boot Mac with bootcamp & XP. ie it is not mac software at all.
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #54
Trustee

I see no mention of 720p or any other progressive shooting mode. If camcorderinfo was not notorious for technical errors, even on shipping product reviews, I might give their specs more credibility. But as it is I will take everything with a huge grain of salt. They were not even aloud to touch the cam. I believe it is still apparent that the cam will have an HDV compatible mode. It has been changed on the JVC press release page from "HDV compatible mode" to "1440x1080i CBR", but I think that has more to do with proper licensing terminology that a sudden lack of compatibility.
With 1/5" CCD's and not a mention of progressive modes, this is definitely not a HD10 successor.
Old January 11th, 2007, 05:30 PM   #55
Trustee

Ken, I agree they've made some pretty big tech mistakes in the past (just detail errors) but they stated they pestered JVC for two days and posted the info they noted- I, like you, thought it would not have a 720P mode but they're stating it does- so let's just hope it does.
I don't personally perceive it as a replacement to the HD10 series- but I guess if it does have a 720P mode- we can accept it as such.
The more I find out about the camera- the more impressed I become.

As for the variable bit rate modes- that's a big plus- it means their compression algorithyms will effectively manage image quality with scenes that don't have as many moving parts and studio users will benefit from a VBR mode.

It's shaping up to be an impressive camera worthy of the attention it's getting- let's hope the final production cams don't lose any features.
Old January 11th, 2007, 06:12 PM   #56
Trustee

I agree that the CCDs are small and if they were a little bit bigger, they could have added more pixels without sacrificing the low light sensitivity but we need to realize that the CCDs is a completely redesign and JVC have claimed that they developed a way to have a 3db increase. Just like Panasonic I guessed for several months now that the reason both companies are delaying their 3 CCD consumer HD cameras is because they are trying to make sure the light sensitivity of the cameras are perfect and that's very difficult to do with imagers this small. I think with the extra electronics, maybe bigger CCDs couldn’t fit in that body size.

It wouldn’t be viewed as an HD10 replacement but I do see it as an HD1 replacement and I believe that JVC may want to make a professional version with XLR inputs so it can be considered an HD10 replacement even if theirs no progressive mode.

For anyone that has either the DV953, GS400, TRV900, TRV950, HC1000 or the HC1 then this is indeed a good replacement and for anyone who is trying to get the FX7 but can’t afford it, then I see this as a very good alternative.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 06:42 AM   #57
Trustee

Well I saw no mention of a 720p mode?
Old January 12th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #58
New Boot

Hello Gents
This Everio offering is so interesting.
I have resarched the net for more infos and it seems so far that the few people who did get close enough to the HD7 either could not handle it or as one did could handle it but no battery was connected or even offered by JVC reps.
So the big secrecy bring my question which might be a bit naive, and you will I hope excuse me, but with this cam do you think that JVC has put together a prototype to feel the customers response, and might add features to fit the general public likes or dislikes. I do not know if it was JVC attitude in the past, but if I was them it would be a smart way to go about it.
Also is there any previous issues with Fujinon lenses. They are marketed for the pro cameras, so it seems they should be fine for a consumer cam isnt it?
Cheers from Maryland
Patrick
Patrick Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #59
Trustee

Patrick, I doubt they're feeling out the market as it's "availability" date has been set at April....that wouldn't allow enough time for radical changes. I'm guessing they're working on the manuals, box printing, software bundles, language versions etc.

At most they can probably change some things in the firmware but I'm pretty sure the hardware setup is final....but these are my guesses.

The biggest mystery is wether a 720P mode will be present- as it certainly seems possible with a progressive CCD as they've stated. I like the fact it has both a variable bit rate and constant bit rate meaning it should have some relatively powerful onboard processing capabilities.....the camera just seems to be a flat out winner.

I'm already tired of waiting~~
Old January 13th, 2007, 02:13 AM   #60
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira
It wouldn’t be viewed as an HD10 replacement but I do see it as an HD1 replacement and I believe that JVC may want to make a professional version with XLR inputs so it can be considered an HD10 replacement even if theirs no progressive mode.
If it isn't progressive, it is in no way an HD10 replacement.
I have a feeling JVC may do with this cam what Sony has done with the FX7. Offer a consumer model without progressive, and a prosumer model with the progressive modes and XLR's.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series