JVC finally announces HD Everio!!! - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old January 31st, 2007, 06:53 PM   #91
Trustee

It’s true that the CCDs should have been bigger but we cannot judge this camcorder based on that alone and we haven’t seen any footage so maybe the low light capabilities is very good. As far as manual controls go, this camcorder is more professional than both the HV20 and the HC7 and it’s been mentioned numerous times that it have a professional quality Fujinon lens.

Guy Barwood,
This camcorder is in the same category as the HC1 and the GS400 and they can easily be considered Prosumer camcorders.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 07:07 PM   #92
Major Player

But its a bizzare mix. The manual features won't appeal to a consumer and the sensor size will scare many pro users away (including me).

Just like the Z1 is soft in 1080i mode due to pixel shift (the HD100 is sharper in 720p), this camera, using pixel shifting will be quite soft as well. The lens can't fix this.

Fujinon lens will help but lets face it, Fujinon make cheap lens as well and this is definetly going to be one of them (just think about how much they can afford to spend on a lens in a camera of this level). Few are really impressed with the Fujinon stock lens on the HD100.

No one is going to even think about using this camera to shoot a wedding but it might score some POV/second camera use.
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 08:17 PM   #93
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Nunez
The wait is definitely killng me as well.
Too bad Canon didn't employ a hard drive in the HV20- would have been absolutely killer!!!!

Plumb the HDMI output of the HV20 into a HDMI breakout box which itself is plugging into a (pretty fast/good) laptop and you have your wish !

Of course this solution is not as neat as the JVC but it will give you true 1920*1080 progressive which bypasses HDV compression.
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #94
Trustee

On this site you will see a link to a video that shows the camcorder.
http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/en/n...eo+camera.html

Last edited by Paulo Teixeira; February 7th, 2007 at 08:27 PM.
Old February 7th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #95
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Green
Picture of a Microphone specifically made for it
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...7/victor23.jpg

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...207/victor.htm
Old February 7th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #96
Regular Crew

Hi

Looks great, Man I cant wait !!

LHR
Leonard Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 02:04 PM   #97
Trustee

Here is a tiny bit more information about this camcorder.
http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english...070208/127547/

It’s kind of shocking to find out that the camcorder could have used xvYCC which is the same thing as x.v.color that is in the Sony HC7. Meaning unless the Panasonic HSC1u uses the xvYCC standard, the Sony HC7 will have the most colors out of any other camcorder but you would still need an HDMI 1.3 complaint TV to view the extra colors.

This is the most impressive information in that article:
“In the development in a bid to realize 1920 x 1080i recording, JVC started from entire revision of major parts, namely the camera block including the lens and prism as well as circuits capable of 1920 x 1080i video processing, among others.”

It will be a very well built camcorder and I look forward to the first reviews.

Last edited by Paulo Teixeira; February 8th, 2007 at 02:45 PM.
Old February 8th, 2007, 02:07 PM   #98
Obstreperous Rex

What do you think, should we add a dedicated forum for this thing in our Consumer HD Camcorders section?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 02:27 PM   #99
Inner Circle

Did anybody notice:
"minimum brightness 18 Lux (shutter:1/60, sensitivity up: AGC)"

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...-in-Japan-.htm

The HD1 all over again.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #100
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
What do you think, should we add a dedicated forum for this thing in our Consumer HD Camcorders section?
I don’t like people reading my mind. I was just thinking about that a couple of hours ago.
Old February 8th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #101
Trustee

Definitely not liking the min lux rating......yikes!
Old February 8th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #102
Trustee

The Japanese lux ratings is always a lot higher than the US lux ratings but I still think there is some sort of a misprint.

Last edited by Paulo Teixeira; February 8th, 2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old February 8th, 2007, 07:17 PM   #103
Regular Crew

Hi

18 is better than 35 lux ( GR-hd1 or JY-HD10U ) and they really didn't look that bad in low light. I've seen some nice shots in the dark with them (35 lux) under street lights that looked real good . I'm crossing my fingers

LHR
Leonard Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #104
Trustee

While pixel shift does help detail we have to remember that when pixel shift was used with SD cameras, those cameras still started with the native resolution of the format of 720x480. The pixel shift just helped to make the image look more rich and detailed like it was being over sampled. It worked great for this purpose as an enhancer.

With HD however pixel shift is all of a sudden being used as a way to create pixels that are not really there and not just to enhance.

If pixel shift worked the way it is said to work with HD then we could have had SD cameras with 360x240 pixel chips using pixel shift and it would have looked great. I doubt any of us would ever want a SD camera with chips that small.

To me the fact that it records 1920x1080 pixels is almost totally useless since there is no way pixel shift can create that much detail. Not even a highend camera like the HVX200 can resolve enough lines to make a difference between 1280x1080, 1440x1080 or 1920x1080. Heck a lot of people even say the 720p and 1080p mode on the HVX200 looks about the same since both formats come from the same pixel shifted set of chips.

Finally JVC was clearly not thinking of it's pro users who have wanted a secondary backup B-roll camera to go with their HD100/HD200 series of cameras. While 1080i footage could be matched with 720p footage it would have been much better to at least have a true 720p mode on this camera. This now means that users of the 720p format still do not have a good option for a cheap B-roll camera.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #105
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet
While pixel shift does help detail we have to remember that when pixel shift was used with SD cameras, those cameras still started with the native resolution of the format of 720x480.
Sorry but that's not entirely true. Most of those camcorders did *not* have native 720x480 chips, and indeed most of them used the Pixel Shift process in one or both axes in order to achieve that resolution.

Out of any number of such instances, perhaps the most famous examples are the Panasonic AG-EZ1, Canon XL1, GL1 and XL1S. All three chips in each of these camcorders used a CCD with only 250,000 pixels, which isn't nearly 720 x 480. They relied heavily on the Pixel Shift process in both horizontal and vertical axes just to get up to Standard Definition (and nobody made a big deal of it back then, either). Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series