DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   The Gigantic Mini DV Deck / Camcorder as Deck Thread (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/36821-gigantic-mini-dv-deck-camcorder-deck-thread.html)

Barry Rivadue May 11th, 2009 06:46 PM

Panasonic DV2000 Question

After seven years of almost 24/7 brutal use my steadfast DV200 is acting up. Every time I do capturing now the results are that the audio sounds tinny and the video stutters and breaks. When using a camcorder, with the same cable, the problem disappears so I'm sure it's the DV2000. I tried cleaning its heads but it doesn't improve matters. What could be ailing it, and is it terminal?

J. Stephen McDonald May 11th, 2009 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Rivadue (Post 1141571)
After seven years of almost 24/7 brutal use my steadfast DV200 is acting up. Every time I do capturing now the results are that the audio sounds tinny and the video stutters and breaks. When using a camcorder, with the same cable, the problem disappears so I'm sure it's the DV2000. I tried cleaning its heads but it doesn't improve matters. What could be ailing it, and is it terminal?

After 7 years of steady, brutal use, as you describe it, this VCR should be bronzed and placed on a pedestal of honor. It's amazing it would last so long. The heads and also the tape-transport mechanism are probably worn down. It might be just a matter of having the tape alignment system re-adjusted by a qualified repair shop or it could require a new head assembly or more.

Barry Rivadue May 12th, 2009 06:20 AM

Thanks for your thoughts. I guess I really gave this "industrial strength" VCR a good run over the years, and it was superb in every way. I'll see what I'll do next.

Chris Hurd May 12th, 2009 07:40 AM

The money put into a service call will most likely pay for itself over the course of this deck's remaining natural life.

Barry Rivadue May 12th, 2009 10:28 AM

Thanks--until I go completely tapeless this has been a jewel of a deck.

Caleb Royer June 26th, 2009 09:23 PM

Which Make and Model Tape for XL2???

What is the best quality tape to get for the XL2?

Does the brand have to be Canon, or can I use Sony, JVC or some other brand?

Thanks,

CJ

Ervin Farkas June 29th, 2009 05:09 AM

Run from Panasonic!

I always used Sony or TDK in my camcorders; two weeks ago all I got in stock was Panasonic... sure enough, yesterday when I tried to rewind for capturing, it gave me an error while the mechanism made a funny noise.

I gave it a second try and it all worked fine in the end but I"ll never ever buy Pana again.

Yes, you can use any brand; make sure you buy from a reputable seller to avoid counterfait stuff. I always buy my tapes at Costco, they carry the two brands mentioned at the beginning - over 100 tapes and not one defective yet.

Jarred Capellman July 15th, 2009 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas (Post 1164718)
I always used Sony or TDK in my camcorders; two weeks ago all I got in stock was Panasonic... sure enough, yesterday when I tried to rewind for capturing, it gave me an error while the mechanism made a funny noise.

I gave it a second try and it all worked fine in the end but I"ll never ever buy Pana again.

Yes, you can use any brand; make sure you buy from a reputable seller to avoid counterfait stuff. I always buy my tapes at Costco, they carry the two brands mentioned at the beginning - over 100 tapes and not one defective yet.

I second that, Costco has the Sony tapes for dirt cheap in a 10 pack, I've used over 30 and never had any problems.