DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   The Gigantic Mini DV Deck / Camcorder as Deck Thread (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/36821-gigantic-mini-dv-deck-camcorder-deck-thread.html)

Josh Brusin April 1st, 2004 03:47 PM

Bought it right here!

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23508

"This versatile unit is also the only DV machine to feature both component inputs/outputs and an RS-422 interface. Additional systems flexibility is assured by Y/C component connectors, JVC 12-pin control connectors, and an optionally available RS-232C interface, allowing you to use the BR-DV600U with just about any existing linear editing system - whether it's analog or digital. "

-http://www.dvecompany.com/brdv600.htm

Alfred Okocha April 1st, 2004 06:29 PM

I use the TRV-19 as a deck and it works just fine.

(it has a surprising amount of little holes in it to stick cables..)

Firewire doesn't necessarly go both ways. The big sony cams only go out for example. (not that too many people want to use them as decks anyway..)

Mark Moore April 1st, 2004 08:07 PM

I bought two JVC mini-dv/SVHS decks and both of them had major sound problems within 30 days. I bought them refurbished, so I probably got what I deserved.

I now use a JVC GR500U (cam) for a deck and it works great. I can also export from the computer, through the cam to my SVHS VCR with no problem (or to a monitor).

I paid about $300 for the cam new and have used it on a couple of trips when I didn't want to take the "good camera"!

James Sudik April 1st, 2004 08:15 PM

These negative expieriences with the JVC MiniDV/SVHS have got me spooked. I was planning on buying one very soon, and at $800+ for a new one (plus decent respect for the JVC brand) I was thinking it would be a solid performer. Can anyone with this deck offer up some positive support?

Josh Brusin April 1st, 2004 09:00 PM

camera as a deck has another advantage... portability. no plug in needed... can edit in the car if I have the juice for the pbook...

James Sudik April 1st, 2004 10:43 PM

I don't need that kind of portability, and I do need a clean (ie non-cluttered) work area. I have a home office and two young kids that are always trying to climb/grab everything. I want to install this deck in a shelving unit and have it securely stowed away. Somebody use this deck with positive report?

Dan Euritt April 3rd, 2004 04:37 PM

i have a gv-d900, which i believe is the ntsc version of what you have, except with an lcd screen.

it constantly beeps and flashes a yellow warning code... i have to shut off the power for awhile, often multiple times, to get it to work... i guess that you can't tell what error code you are getting without an lcd monitor? how about deciphering the beep code?

these lousy decks never shut off fully even with the power switch on the deck is turned off... the power supply stays warm all the time, so a real reboot involves unplugging the power line from the wall.

i have had to take the cover off of this deck several times and clean it with that radio shack head cleaning kit... it used to junk up on a regular basis, despite fairly low hours... not something i'd recommend if you don't know what you are doing, and the alcohol cleaner will dry out the rubber pinch roller.

Ed Smith April 6th, 2004 07:37 AM

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply.

I can hook it up to a TV but I get no error codes what so ever!!! It just shuts itself off.

To get an estimate done for the repair is going to cost me about £50 which is quite a lot of money, especially if I decide not to go a head with it.

I have not tried a head cleaner in it yet, and I don't really fancy opening the thing up.

Thanks for the tips,

Ed

Thomas Gay April 8th, 2004 08:49 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by James Sudik : These negative expieriences with the JVC MiniDV/SVHS have got me spooked. I was planning on buying one very soon, and at $800+ for a new one (plus decent respect for the JVC brand) I was thinking it would be a solid performer. Can anyone with this deck offer up some positive support? -->>>

I too would like to hear any pro's or con's of the JVC MiniDV/SVHS unit. I was looking at one that B&H often has on sale at just under $700.00. But if this type of unit has problems I don't want to waste my hard earned money on it.

Anyone?

Murad Toor April 11th, 2004 12:53 PM

jvc camcorder / deck

Hi Jason,

I use a JVC GRD70 as my capture, analog-digital and digital-analog pass-through device. The only difference between the GRD70 and the GRD30 is the digital still camera function, which is close to useless. I should have bought the GRD30 instead.

The only disadvantages of using a cheap camcorder as a deck is batch captures and cueing (interrelated I guess) supposedly take more time, because the tape transports neither as robust nor as fast (again, interrelated).

It's good to save more than $1000 once in a while, and I'm not working with non-vanilla DV anyhow. If I needed other formats then I'd go for a dedicated deck. But this works great and does exactly what I need.

I'm using the JVC to save wear on my XL1s.

My setup is: Mac G5 to JVC GRD70 via FireWire, A/V cable from camcorder to VCR for R/L sound, S-video cable from camcorder to VCR, and S-video + R/L audio cables to TV.

When capturing analog I just switch the cables from "in" on the VCR to "out."

Scott T Anderson April 12th, 2004 09:27 PM

Using lesser model for Tape deck?

Ok I have read in different places about using a lower model MiniDV camera as a deck... I have an XL1 and I was thinking about using my old JVC DVL120U as a deck... does this retain the quality of the XL1? I am thinking it lowers the quality to whatever it puts out, or is it just playing what is exactly fed off of the tape?

Thanks in advance...

-Scott

Ignacio Rodriguez April 12th, 2004 09:54 PM

Any DV camera actually processes the same quality images, if you use the camera to output via Firewire to a computer or to a DVD writer, the camera where you are playing back makes no difference. Now if you are using the camera's analog audio and video outputs that's a whole different story. Some cameras may have better DA and output levels, some pro equipment might even have component output and that's great for feeding a projector, a high end monitor. However any camera with S-video out should give you a decent image indisinguishable from your main camera. If your JVC cam can read the tapes and has an S-video output you will do just fine with it.

James Sudik April 12th, 2004 09:56 PM

Hey Scott. Data is data, there is no loss or change due to the cam you use as the mechanism to transfer it to the HD. (I assume your are connecting via iEEE1394) I'm not a pro, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night ;)

Bryan McCullough April 12th, 2004 10:13 PM

I use a ZR40 for a deck.

About the only thing that camera is good for. If you're not shooting on the surface of the sun it's going to be grainy.

Scott T Anderson April 12th, 2004 11:03 PM

Yeah It's going to be done throught Firewire... thanks all. That's good news...

Jaz Garewal April 13th, 2004 01:38 PM

JVC mini DV/SVHS

I use this deck at work and haven't had any problems with it - I use it to go through 2-4 hours of tape a day. Video comes out good, audio is fine, and the DV to SVHS dubbing is a nice little feature.

Mike Cavanaugh April 13th, 2004 02:20 PM

I use this deck (JVC SR-VS 30U) mini DV and SHVS and really like it. In addition to the dubbing features, you can import vhs/svhs into your NLE through it without a seperate BOB. By using the s-video inputs (both front and rear) you can also import 8mm and Hi-8 from cameras to DV and/or directly to the NLE.

One thing I'd like to mention, though... The menu options are complex and seem to have a logic that doesn't work with my rather arcane brand of logic!

Also, I do wish it had audio meters and headphone jacks.

Good luck

Juan Parra May 6th, 2004 05:59 PM

Best mini DV camcorder as deck?

I have read few threads on the subject, and looked at the pros and cons of having a miniDV deck vs miniDV cam. At this moment my budget does not allow me to consider a miniDV deck. Having said that, I would like to know which camcorder you consider to be the best to use as a deck based on inexpensive price/quality?

These are the few cams mentioned in the threads:

Sharp VL-NZ55U
JVC GR-DVL100U
Panasonic PVDV100
Sony TRV8

Another important feature to have is firewire pass through (Computer NLE -> Firewire -> Cam -> A/V ouputs -> TV Monitor)..and as a bonus, it'd be nice to use it as a back up cam. Are the camcorders above meet these requirements?

Thanks for your comments.

Juan

Frank Granovski May 6th, 2004 06:37 PM

Buy any miniDV cam with the best warranty. Consider extending the warranty also, if you intend to be putting on the head hours.

Adam Beck July 1st, 2004 12:55 PM

Which Tape Deck Should I get?

I plan on getting a tape deck to transfer my GL2 footage to the Computer throught Premiere Pro. I am wondering what would be a good reliable deck?

Ed Smith July 1st, 2004 03:19 PM

Hi adam,

Do you have a budget in mind?

It really depends on how much money you are willing to spend. If you only want a sub $1000 deck then I would look at getting a cheap MiniDV camera. If you are looking at spending more, then Sony and JVC do some nice professional models.

This sort of topic has come up many times, please try our search.

Clint Till July 13th, 2004 01:18 PM

Deck Playback w_XL-1s footage

Recently I shot a project on the XL-1s and turned the footage over to the editor. He called back and said he was seeing noise on my tapes. So, I took the XL-1s down to his studio and everything played fine. No noise, no dropout. He was able to capture and edit fine after I brought my camera to him. I have also had this issue with two other studios since then. Footage shot on the XL-1s shows noise and dropout when played back on a DVCam or MiniDV deck. What could be the issue here?

Mike Cavanaugh July 13th, 2004 02:41 PM

Sounds like a head alignment issue - your camera will play tapes it recorded, but other decks will not. Try viewing a tape recorded by another camera in your XL-1s - bet it doesn't play properly.

Clint Till July 13th, 2004 03:52 PM

I took your suggestion and tried playing some footage I shot with an old consumer end JVC, but I didn't see any problems. No dropout or noise. Could there be some sort of compatibility issue with the XL-1s and other decks?

Clint Till July 13th, 2004 04:00 PM

I just tried to play back some tapes shot at a wedding with my XL-1s on my consumer end JVC camcorder and it played fine. However, I tried playing some tapes shot for my short film and I had good picture but no audio. Now, the wedding footage was shot in normal movie mode, but the short film footage was shot in frame mode. Also, all the other tapes that editors had trouble playing were shot in frame mode. Do you think that could be part of the problem?

Clint Till July 13th, 2004 04:38 PM

Ok, I looked at the XL-1s manual and at the bottom of page 44 it says "Frame video may not appear completely smooth during normal playback." Could this be why my tapes are filled with noise and dropout on other decks? Could someone educate me on this frame mode playback issue? Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Charlie Wu August 13th, 2004 04:50 AM

about dv deck...

i read many threads about dv deck vs cheap dv cam; and i've been considering about buying a deck for a long time now. originally the plan was to go for a cheap dv cam; however recently i heard from some guy at the canon service center saying that dv cams are not made for heavy duty capturing purposes. he then explained, "the tear and wear on the drum assembly will increase greatly if the cam is used for back n' forth, back n' forth seeking capturing. depends on usage, camera could break in a short while or could last for years. Deck, on the other side, is designed for capturing..."
well, just out of curiosity, how many folks actually break the camera by capturing?
over the past two years i've piled up more than 20 tapes of footages that need to be captured within the following two - three weeks. i really need something reliable, sturdy, compatible with both pc and mac.
i almost went out and bought the sony mini dv walkman, but then i read people also recommend AG-DV1000 by panasonic.
if i have the budget for GV-D1000 by sony, what are my other options?
and how do these options compare?

thanks people!

Ray Echevers August 20th, 2004 01:14 PM

Cheapest Sony MiniDv camera with DV in and out?(To use as a deck)

What's the cheapest Sony MiniDv camera with DV in and out to use as a deck and as an all purpose vacation/whatever camera?
Also I would want it to be brand new if the price is good.
Any suggestions/links appreciated.

Jesse Bekas August 21st, 2004 12:29 PM

this is the cheapest new model...

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...ycamCamcorders

...but for your uses, you may be better suited searching online for an older model, or one from a different brand. You could probably find something with more features for a lower price. I think Panasonic has stripped down MiniDV model for something like $285.

Christopher Baker September 13th, 2004 07:19 PM

using a low priced camera as a deck???

I reciently purchased an XL1S from this site and like everybody else try not to use the camera as a playback deck. I just bought an inexpensive (brand new) dv camcorder to use as a playback deck and the picture looks good but the audio seems to skip and blank out as its being played. Does anyone know if this is fixable? or do I need to purchase a different camera or brand?

Thanks to all for your help

Chris McKee September 14th, 2004 02:08 AM

Start by cleaning the heads on the XL1 and the new camera too.

Shaggy Franks October 1st, 2004 09:31 AM

XL2 recorded footage on a miniDV Deck

Hi,

here is a Question, since the XL2 records 16x9 (native)
with some more resolution right. If I use a Sony GVD-1000
to capture the Footage.

Will that affect the images or so?
The same with recording footage in 24p/25p will there also be
a Issue?

Cause I might be buying an Xl2 (if the PAL version will hit US streets)
I would like to use a miniDV deck (stationary) to capture my Footage.

Thanks advance?

P.S. any body seen XL2 footage compared to the Sony's HDV?

Barry Green October 1st, 2004 06:05 PM

You can use any DV deck to play back XL2 footage. The choice of deck will have no effect on resolution, etc.

Kenneth Irvine October 3rd, 2004 11:13 AM

Using a ZR80 as a deck for XL2 footage

This is my first question to the forum. I've been involved in the film and tv industry for about 15 years, made a short drama and a doc for television, now I'm considering buying a Canon xl2.

Does anyone know if there are any quality issues with using a Canon ZR80 camera as a capture deck for footage shot (at any framerate) with the xl2? I've heard there will be quality loss??

BTW, capturing to Premiere 6.5 on a PC through Firewire.

If there are issues and I end up using the xl2 as the capture deck, how hard is this on the camera? Are there other solutions?

Thanks!

Jeff Donald October 3rd, 2004 11:30 AM

The best solution (though the costliest) is to purchase a mini DV deck. Decks are much more robust, generally treat the tapes better, and will last the longest and require the least service. The camera would be my second choice unless you have many hundreds of hours of footage to log and capture. Using a cheap camera as a capture device is somewhat more problematic. I've heard of capture issues, mostly related to dropped frames, with cheap mini Dv cameras. Cameras are very slow to go to in and out points and place more stress on the tapes.

Marty Hudzik October 3rd, 2004 09:15 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : The best solution (though the costliest) is to purchase a mini DV deck. Decks are much more robust, generally treat the tapes better, and will last the longest and require the least service. The camera would be my second choice unless you have many hundreds of hours of footage to log and capture. Using a cheap camera as a capture device is somewhat more problematic. I've heard of capture issues, mostly related to dropped frames, with cheap mini Dv cameras. Cameras are very slow to go to in and out points and place more stress on the tapes. -->>>

While I agree with most of what you said I use a Panasonic PV-DV910 Palmcorder to capture my footage. I never do jog shuttle and scene searches though...I always just capture the entire tape. I do my rewinding and fast fowrarding in a dedicated rewinder unit.

When I had my DVX100 I would use it quite often as a deck to review or capture tapes. When I went to sell it on EBAY I got a ton of email asking about how many hours were on the heads.

Well I know I only shot 30-40 1 hours tapes on it but the head time showed 160+ hours. This turned some people off from buying it.

Now I don't know if the XL2 keeps track of the head time but I am now inclined "not" to use it for a deck unless it is absolutely unavoidable.

Jeff Donald October 3rd, 2004 09:22 PM

XL2 does not have a user addressable hours counter. Canon service may be able to access the hours, but they do not disclose that information. I worry more about my tapes and the images and sounds they represent, than cameras. Cameras are tools, they are going to depreciate, break and at some point most end up in a landfill. What is important is the images and sounds they record. I do everything possible to protect the tape and insure the best possible image is used in the edit.

Jos Svendsen October 4th, 2004 12:50 PM

Back to topic.

I have a cheap JVC camcorder that I use as a deck. But I use Screenalyzer to dump the whole tape in one go. I have a 250 Gig drive especially for that. So my tapes will get recorded on once, and played back once - well maybe twice.

The JVC gets a cleaning tape every ten tapes, and so far I've had no problems at all. This saves my Canon for wear and tear, and the quality is of course perfect.

Since I can get 3 cheap camcorders for the price of one deck I find this the the most cost effective solution. Especially taken the cost per megabyte of a big firewire drive. And I find it a lot easier to preview the clips, when they are on a harddisk, than have a deck to wind/rewind to compare two clips.

Kenneth Irvine October 4th, 2004 08:55 PM

Thanks very much for the quick feedback folks.

Since I can't really afford a dv deck, I will try the ZR80 and let eveyone know how it goes.

Ken

David Levine October 5th, 2004 03:59 AM

gl1 as playback

Me personally, I am using my gl1 as a playback deck
as Its still under a service plan Im not really worried about wearing out the heads as it can be repaired or replaced as needed by the plan. So far no problems with dropped frames or broken tapes.
evem adding another 5 years to the service plan it seems cheaper then buying a deck