DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   The Gigantic Mini DV Deck / Camcorder as Deck Thread (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/36821-gigantic-mini-dv-deck-camcorder-deck-thread.html)

Gareth Watkins December 10th, 2004 11:32 AM

Hi Chris

this is a good way to save wear and tear on your better camera..

the smaller camera, as long as it has a firewire out will be fine for acquiring your footage on your PC.

The number of CDD's plays no part in the way the camera outputs your footage, only on the way it is recorded in the first place.

Your footage will be of the same quality as if you linked up the GL2.

this is the cheapest way..

cheers
G

Mark Williams December 10th, 2004 11:49 AM

One suggestion is if you get a cheap camera for playback make sure that it outputs 16-bit audio. I learned this the hard way. Some of the low end Panasonics capture in 16-bit but will only playback in 12-bit making the audio sound like crap once it is dropped on your NLE timeline.

Regards,

Mark

Nick Jushchyshyn December 10th, 2004 01:19 PM

I use my old Canon ZR25 as a playback deck for GL2 shot tapes all the time. Works great. Old ZRs (10, 20, 25) often sell for $200 or less on eBay these days.

Jeff Miller December 10th, 2004 07:20 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Williams : make sure that it outputs 16-bit audio. Some of the low end Panasonics capture in 16-bit but will only playback in 12-bit making the audio sound like crap once it is dropped on your NLE timeline.
Mark -->>>

Even over Firewire for the capture? Wow

I got a "cheap" Sony to use as a deck. There are cheaper cameras around, but this Sony has great night vision, better then some of the 3-chippers I have. Just another tool in the arsenal...

John Britt December 10th, 2004 07:43 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Williams : One suggestion is if you get a cheap camera for playback make sure that it outputs 16-bit audio. I learned this the hard way. Some of the low end Panasonics capture in 16-bit but will only playback in 12-bit making the audio sound like crap once it is dropped on your NLE timeline.

Regards,

Mark -->>>

I've never heard of this before. How many cheap Panasonic cams do this? I capture footage shot on my DVC80 with my Panny DV53 (probably one of their cheapest; I bought it new for $300) and get normal 16 bit audio. Of course, the DV53 also records at 16 bit as well...

Jeff Miller December 10th, 2004 08:06 PM

Actually I'm wondering if my Sony does it now. Not to sound too dumb, but how can you find this out?

John Britt December 10th, 2004 09:47 PM

If you are running Windows, just right-click the file and choose "Properties," then the "Summary" tab (at least in XP). Or you can import the file into your NLE, where you should be able to access Properties for it.

Cameron O'Rourke December 11th, 2004 12:39 AM

I have run into a situation where my cheaper camera cannot play back tapes made on high-end equipment. My Panasonic DVX100A seems to be able to play back anything though. I'm now thinking about buying a deck.

Dylan Couper December 12th, 2004 01:47 AM

I use a Canon ZR40 myself.

Ben Bowles December 12th, 2004 08:05 AM

Would a cheaper camera, being used as a deck, transfer multiple audio tracks as well at the time code? The reason I ask is because I'm interested in getting a Canon ZR80 to use as a deck for my new XL2.

Also, I would just like to say what a great forum this is. Its been great source of information already.

Shane Carl December 20th, 2004 12:34 PM

Camera or Tape Deck?

I will be shooting on Super 8 and 16mm in the near future, and I was curious about what kind of tape I should transfer to. They are all the same price, but would I need THAT camera to load a particular tape in my computer for editing.

MiniDV
Beta SP
DVCAM

Also...how would I go about getting it into my computer. Do I use a tape deck or a camera? What brand and model would you reccomend? There is no sound on the video, as I am going to sync that in post, so I don't need to worry about drop outs.

Try not to break the bank!

Thanks for the help,

Shane

Rob Lohman December 21st, 2004 09:00 AM

If you haven't bought yet I would recommend a tape deck, since
it is far better to work with tapes from different camera's and is
built to take some abusing as you look around and capture tapes.

Beta SP is an anlog signal right? So I would not go with that. There
is no real difference between MiniDV and DVCAM except that
DVCAM is more expensive and a bit more reliable (tape wise).
The signal on it is exactly the same.

Tom Borders December 23rd, 2004 05:12 PM

Mini DV Deck

I am using an XL1s and need a deck for playback. Do you have a preference or a deck to avoid?

Rhett Allen December 23rd, 2004 06:02 PM

I like the Sony DSR-11. Small, not to pricey, NTSC or PAL, mini or full size DV or DVCAM. Good little unit.

Don Palomaki December 24th, 2004 06:52 AM

I've received good service from a Sonu DHR-1000 and a Sony GV-D300. Many people looking for a low cost solution with the bonus of providing a small, cheap backup camcorder) use a ZR-series (or other) camcorder .

Dennis Liu December 24th, 2004 06:57 PM

The DSR-11 is a great deck. If you can't afford it, I have a GV-D1000 (similar to teh GV-D300), which are just basically consumer VCRs for miniDV, with the added bonus of an LCD screen. I've used it for a few months now, it's been really helpful in many situations.

However, if you can afford the DSR-11 and don't need portability - get it.

Dennis

Alessandro Machi January 1st, 2005 09:34 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Don Palomaki : I've received good service from a Sonu DHR-1000 and a Sony GV-D300. Many people looking for a low cost solution with the bonus of providing a small, cheap backup camcorder) use a ZR-series (or other) camcorder . -->>>

I love the ZR canon camcorders for recording and playing back mini-dv from. Although don't lose the remote control because you need it for recording!

I have heard that the Sony camcorders all play back DV-CAM signals that have been recorded on mini-dv, whereas the ZR series does not, is this true?

Mark Williams January 1st, 2005 10:13 AM

If you get a cheap camcorder to use as a deck be sure it has 16-bit audio playback. Some don't.

Krishna Narayanamurti January 5th, 2005 03:22 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Williams : If you get a cheap camcorder to use as a deck be sure it has 16-bit audio playback. Some don't. -->>>

Mark, what happens if it doesn't have 16-bit playback and only has 12-bit playback? (I think this is the case with my Canon ZR60, used as a deck for footage captured on the DVX100A.)

Will the NLE not be able to recognize that the audio on the source tape is actually 16-bit quality?

Thanks.
Krishna

Dave Perry January 5th, 2005 08:30 PM

Krishna,

Your ZR 60 does have 16 bit playback.

Glenn Chan January 5th, 2005 10:10 PM

Some models of the JVC DV decks are the cheapest available, but many people report problems with them. It's ok if it won't cost much to refund it.

JVC has combo mini-DV/SVHS which are ok. The SVHS deck part doesn't work very well since it gets really confusing what is routed where. A seperate VHS/SVHS deck would be a better option.

Daniel Kohl January 6th, 2005 08:38 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Alessandro Machi : ... I have heard that the Sony camcorders all play back DV-CAM signals that have been recorded on mini-dv, whereas the ZR series does not, is this true? -->>>

It is true that sony DV camcorders playback DV-CAM recorded tapes. I don't know if there are any other brands that do this as well. I know that JVC and Canon won't.

Mark Williams January 6th, 2005 09:15 AM

Krishna,

If your NLE preference is set to use 16-bit 48000 audio and you try to use 12-bit it will sound all distorted. I learned this the hard way a couple of months ago and had to redo some of the audio.

Regards,

Mark

Peter Jefferson January 10th, 2005 06:45 PM

i like my Sony GDV1000 with the built in screen. I also carry it around and use it to demo presentations to potential Corp clients (REALLY handy for corporate) as there is no need for them to leave their office when i want to show off some work :)

Frank Meek January 15th, 2005 01:42 PM

Deck of choice...

This is the reply I gave to a similar question on 11.27.04:

Despite some really heavy knocks elsewhere on the JVC BR-DV-3000U, I have used one since last spring (200 hours on the drum) and it has performed flawlessly for me in every tough task I have given it. I use it daily. It is portable, PAL/NTSC switchable, 12v field ready, back-up programmable, small in size, big in features and totally professional. I use it with a Mac Powerbook G4, with a gig of ram, FCP and several cameras.
I cannot say enough.

Alessandro Machi January 15th, 2005 03:35 PM

If I understood correctly, the JVC deck playsback DV-CAM but WILL NOT record DV-CAM. Is this true?

Frank Meek January 17th, 2005 03:31 PM

recording format...

Yes, you are quite correct. The BR-DV 3000 only records in the mini-DV format...but, the ability to import and otherwise use DV-CAM tapes provides somewhat broader opportunities in the pro realm. And, I shoot in this format (one of several), as well.
Also, as I have a moment to comment, there definitely have been those whose experiences are not as laudable as my own...but, I believe that many of the issues with the earlier units (apparently, I have a later version...or I'm exceptionally lucky), have been addressed.
I still think that it's a great unit for the money with many professional features that the dual VHS-Mini-DV units don't have. And, who in this business doesn't already own several-to-many VHS/S-VHS decks for the occasional quick client copy? Better to invest in dual-layer DVD recorders that are really the same price and are, (for the next couple of years, anyway), the way to produce digital copies.
Can there truly be a comparision between the dinosaur VHS and DVD's?

Alessandro Machi February 20th, 2005 10:44 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Krishna Narayanamurti : <<<-- Originally posted by Mark Williams : If you get a cheap camcorder to use as a deck be sure it has 16-bit audio playback. Some don't. -->>>

Mark, what happens if it doesn't have 16-bit playback and only has 12-bit playback? (I think this is the case with my Canon ZR60, used as a deck for footage captured on the DVX100A.)

Will the NLE not be able to recognize that the audio on the source tape is actually 16-bit quality?

Thanks.
Krishna -->>>

The way VHS works is most VCR's won't record in the four hour mode (known as LP), but ALL VCR's will play it back. I'm wondering if this same formula would apply to camcorders that don't record 16 bit audio, perhaps they will play it back if the tape has been already recorded in another camcorder at the 16 bit setting?

Peter Richardson March 2nd, 2005 01:11 PM

Panasonic Camera, Sony Deck

Hey guys--I have a DVX100A and want to purchase a dv deck. Everyone seems to like the Sony DSR11, so I'm leaning to it. My only concern is if I have a Panasonic camera, should I stick with Panasonic for my deck? I know there are issues with different oils on heads and tape, and you never want to "cross streams" or use different tape stocks due to the oils gumming up. I only use Panny MQ tapes in my camera. If I use these tapes in the deck, will I be ok? Thanks!

Peter

P.S. Does anyone have experience with a Panny deck they like, just for comparison? Thanks!

Peter

Rob Lohman March 6th, 2005 04:48 AM

All I can add is that as far as I understand it, is that decks should
be much more tolerable of head alignment issues etc. etc. They
are built to read as much different tapes as possible.

So I'd have to say it should be no problem, but then again, you
never know in the "real world", of course.

Hopefully someone else has some more hard answers for you.

Peter Richardson March 6th, 2005 05:04 AM

THanks Rob. Haven't bought anything yet, but leaning towards the Sony deck.

Peter

Brian Vilevac March 11th, 2005 08:49 PM

Case for MiniDV Deck

Anyone know of a good case for the Sony GV-D1000 MiniDV Deck? Now that I have invested $1000 for the deck, I thought it would be nice to have a protective case for it!

Steve Sherrick March 15th, 2005 03:04 AM

Deck Repair

I need to get my Sony DV Walkman repaired and I was looking for some suggestions for relatively quick but dependable service. I'd like to find a place with a very good reputation. Who do you guys use?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Steve

Chris Hurd March 17th, 2005 11:04 PM

Sony factory service in Atlanta is your best bet.

Brian Vilevac March 22nd, 2005 03:40 PM

Disregard!

Sorry - you can disregard this post. I returned the GV-D1000 and purchased the DSR-11 instead!

Boyd Ostroff March 23rd, 2005 10:16 AM

What deck is this?

Can anyone identify the Sony DVCAM deck in this photo? It doesn't match anything in Sony's current lineup. Model number (not legible in the low res photo)? Where could I find specs?

I'm trying to get some info on equipment from the theatre in South America where I'm doing a show this summer, and so far this about all I've been able to learn about their DV capabilities. :-)

Thanks!

Devlyn Hukowich March 23rd, 2005 11:24 AM

SONY DV Deck Answer

Hi Boyd,
The deck in question is a Sony DSR-80. Here is where I found it.
http://www.fullcompass.com/Products/pages/SKU--13275/

Unfortunatly not a current model in Sony's line up. Also likely does not have IEEE1394 I/O. Has all professional analogue I/O, RS 422 deck control and optional SDI.
If I had one, I'd take a DSR-11 with me, just in case.

Cheers,

Chris Hurd March 23rd, 2005 11:32 AM

Boyd, you're looking at a Sony DSR-85.

Sold for nearly $20 grand when first introduced back in 1999.

Check out the PDF for it right here. Hope this helps,

Chris Hurd March 23rd, 2005 11:33 AM

Rats, I guess Devlyn beat me to the punch! Whether it's an 80 or 85, I'll defer to him on that.

Devlyn Hukowich March 23rd, 2005 12:17 PM

DSR-80 or DSR-85?

The physical decks are identical.
The DSR-85 looks like a upgrade of the 80.
The only difference I can find between the decks is the 85 looks like it had a new drum mechanism.

The only other question is regarding video standard. South America is split between PAL and NTSC. The west is NTSC and the east is PAL.

The PAL versions of the DSR-80 & 85 will be DSR-80P and DSR-85P.
Also voltage. North East is 120V/60Hz South West is 220V/50Hz with a few places at 220V/60Hz.
Just for your information check exactly what countries you are going to for voltage and TV standards if you are bringing and equipment of your own.