GoPro Protune - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old October 9th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #91
Trustee

Re: GoPro Protune

What if you don't like the upgrade once upgrading? Can the new stuff ( the upgrade) be turned on and off?
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #92
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
What if you don't like the upgrade once upgrading? Can the new stuff ( the upgrade) be turned on and off?
Yes of course, Settings/More/Protune/On/OFF.
Ian Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #93
Inner Circle

Hi Renton

Yep! Just set ProTune on the Menu to "Off" and you are back to normal!! Have you upgraded yet???

When you do tell me what capacity your SDHC cards have on them please ???

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #94
Major Player

Jason i wasn't referring to your videos, (actually i haven;t watched them yet but i will) we get thousands posted on the GoproUser forum which feature motorcycles and they generally are the ones with the most jello issues. BTW we have tons of motor cycle users posing their mounts, mods and experiences so there is a wealth of info there to help you with that. GoProUser.freeforums.org • Index page

Mark, ProTune was only released officially less than 12 hrs ago, not a lot of time for people to do testing and post results. I posted the indoor comparison video above (GoPro Hero2 Protune Test) because it shows what happens with ProTune in poor light because ProTune actual is ALL camera processing turned OFF, including noise reduction, contrast, sharpening etc. It's quite a different result outdoors though.

There are a lot of reasons why people don't use pocket-able HD cameras as Wearable/Mountable Outdoor POV cameras, too many to list here, try some and you will find out the limitations.

On the Sony, I'm disappointed because it has the ideal form factor i've always wanted Gopro to have, but they don't yet understand the POV consumer market so they have some improvements to make, good first try though and i'm sure they will listen to feedback.

BTW, i''m ADMIN and founder of the above mentioned User Forum. We have 50k+ members and i've see every post that has come thru there since 2008, so i've seen lot's of POV footage. Even though it is a GOPro User forum we have a whole section devoted to OTHER POV cams including he Sony.
Old October 9th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #95
Major Player

Amateur ProTune video shot by the guys wife. Straight out of the camera no CC. Watch in 720p or 1080 at youtube. Would colour correct really well. Link to you tube is below.

Vito cayo gopro hero2 protune test - YouTube
Old October 9th, 2012, 08:15 PM   #96
Regular Crew

Am I missing something regarding the purported 35Mbps data rate? Can't see anything in the menu regarding that, unless it's supposedly 35Mbps when using ProTune? My first test with ProTune on in a moderately lit room had more noise then video from my cell phone, was hoping for more, kinda hoping I'm just missing something here.

- Ray
Old October 9th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #97
Trustee

The "vito cayo" video looks much better, and not too bad. And I like the Protune color, even straight out of the camera, compared with the non Protune alternative. But the quality is still far below cheap regular camcorders, or even waterproof pocketable types.

For just mounting with suction cups on vehicles, I see no advantage whatsoever of a Go Pro or Sony Action Cam over say the Samsung WX300 - which is almost as small as either camera in their "shells" and is shockproof and waterproof (not same depth) without any extra case. And its video is substantially better (color, sharpness, motion artifacts), and it costs less.

For mounting on heads, helmets or surfboards or diving down to 150 ft, maybe you need a GoPro outfit. But the above vehicle or boat videos, all of them, could have been taken with better quality by, for example, that Samsung model. So if typical use is mounting on vehicles, I see a lot of hype and poor perfromance here.

Slow motion and time-lapse tricks are nice features of the GoPro and Action Cam that regular cameras do not have, of course.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #98
Major Player

Ray, Protune is a user selectable mode in settings/more/ Protune/on/off.

When selected your LCD will show the letter T after the mode selection and recording 35mbps.
Old October 9th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #99
Regular Crew

Thanks Ian, that was one of my guesses. I guess I was just hoping that the difference would be a bit more substantial than what I'm currently seeing and hoping that there was a setting I might have missed that would get it there.

- Ray
Old October 9th, 2012, 08:59 PM   #100
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig View Post
The "vito cayo" video looks much better, and not too bad. And I like the Protune color, even straight out of the camera, compared with the non Protune alternative. But the quality is still far below cheap regular camcorders, or even waterproof pocketable types.

For just mounting with suction cups on vehicles, I see no advantage whatsoever of a Go Pro or Sony Action Cam over say the Samsung WX300 - which is almost as small as either camera in their "shells" and is shockproof and waterproof (not same depth) without any extra case. And its video is substantially better (color, sharpness, motion artifacts), and it costs less.

For mounting on heads, helmets or surfboards or diving down to 150 ft, maybe you need a GoPro outfit. But the above vehicle or boat videos, all of them, could have been taken with better quality by, for example, that Samsung model. So if typical use is mounting on vehicles, I see a lot of hype and poor perfromance here.

Slow motion and time-lapse tricks are nice features of the GoPro and Action Cam that regular cameras do not have, of course.
Samsung WX300, gee that must a popular camera google knows nothing about it.

You forgot wide angle, nearly every POV camera has at least 110 - 170 diagonal FOV and is most of the reason why POV footage is watchable, without it it wouldn't be a shaky mess. As you have seen with the Sony image, in-camera stabilization is as good as useless in a PoV cams in most cases, it may improve over time when better technology is available at the price point. Not denying some of the pocket able cameras have better image Q, but they are not suitable for POV cameras for 95% of users.

Last edited by Ian Newland; October 9th, 2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old October 9th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #101
Major Player

Ray> Thanks Ian, that was one of my guesses. I guess I was just hoping that the difference would be a bit more substantial than what I'm currently seeing and hoping that there was a setting I might have missed that would get it there.

- Ray

Tip>
Try it again in the morning, in the correct lighting conditions it was designed to work in. Would you test drive your new sports car on the neighbours paddock? :-)
Old October 9th, 2012, 09:20 PM   #102
Regular Crew

lol, will do, already grateful for the 24p, been waiting on them to do that for awhile now. Actually held off on buying one until the announcement. Just couldn't help wishing with the ProTune/35Mbps there would be a little more latitude in mid/low light and shadows but at least I got one thing on the checklist =)

- Ray
Old October 9th, 2012, 09:48 PM   #103
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Schlogel View Post
lol, will do, already grateful for the 24p, been waiting on them to do that for awhile now. Actually held off on buying one until the announcement. Just couldn't help wishing with the ProTune/35Mbps there would be a little more latitude in mid/low light and shadows but at least I got one thing on the checklist =)

- Ray
Actually it has more latitude with ProTune but yeah it's never gunna be good in poor light, no camera really is, that's the key hey, horses for courses.
Old October 9th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #104
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Newland View Post
Samsung WX300, gee that must a popular camera google knows nothing about it.

You forgot wide angle, nearly every POV camera has at least 110 - 170 diagonal FOV and is most of the reason why POV footage is watchable, without it it wouldn't be a shaky mess. As you have seen with the Sony image, in-camera stabilization is as good as useless in a PoV cams in most cases, it may improve over time when better technology is available at the price point. Not denying some of the pocket able cameras have better image Q, but they are not suitable for POV cameras for 95% of users.
Sorry Samsung w300. Good point about the fov. But I am going to try a moving vehicle video with different cameras to see.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #105
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig View Post
Sorry Samsung w300. Good point about the fov. But I am going to try a moving vehicle video with different cameras to see.
Mate it's hello jello on that camera just like your camera phone, and the auto focus is too slow and AF is useless on a POV cam. One little knock and that baby is history. Mark, I've played with all the non POV stuff and used them for POV without success, gave up on that path, just not suitable nor are the Panasonic, Canon, Olympus and Fuji so called "Rugged "cameras. The one Good thing was the CCD sensor based ones, no jello, but the flare and vertical streaking from the sun was an image killer.

The first company that comes up with small form factor or even a separate head and recorder with global shutter gets my money. POV VIO 1 had one but too big and not HD. Something around $600-800 and i would be all over a dozen of them. It will happen.

Anything mounted to a car will be smooth if it's done right. Inside, i use a fabric bag of rice to rest the camera on. Last video is not mine. Yes it's a GoPro on an F1 car

Ian Newland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems