GoPro Protune - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old October 10th, 2012, 06:50 PM   #121
Major Player

Re: GoPro Protune

Just a heads up, take note of what Abe said above, not only does it explain well what ProTune is but as GoPros Head Editor you got it straight from the "'horses mouth"

Thanks for the explanation Abe.
Ian Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #122
Trustee

Ok Chris,
Just to throw a little more confusion to the equation. I just changed the format to pal & i still have the same amount of time showing; 2h 58min.??? I don't get it. I have tried formatting the card, but that doesn't seem to change anything either. I have just turned protune off & in 1080-30p it is showing 4h 45min.
I will try recording a clip & time it, & see what the time remaining counts down to & let you know.

Bryce
Old October 10th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #123
Trustee

Ok, so i just checked again, & sure enough, the time remaining goes down equal to the length of the clip as it records. I also just checked the settings & recorded two clips, one without protune on, & with with it on. The one without is recorded at 14999kbps & the one with protune turned on is recorded at 35110kbps according to Gspot.
I can't understand why your recording time is so short for a 32gb card.
Bryce
Old October 10th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #124
Inner Circle

Hi Bryce

I found out what the issue is!! It's the frame rate!! At 1080 25T on a 16GB card I have 41 mins ..if I change the mode to 1080 30T (still in PAL) I now get 1hr29mins which would be the same as your 2hr 58mins on a 32GB card.

I wonder why a 25T frame rate needs so much more space??? If you set yours to 25T you will also see the time effectively cut in half!!! Just for interest if you set to 24T you get 1hr 10mins which is still better than the 25t mode.

Anyone else know why the 25T mode eats up so much card space??? What are the PAL guys shooting in??

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #125
Inner Circle

Ok this is getting weird now!!

I set my cam to 1080 30T and it automatically set itself to NTSC not PAL...so I went into the menu again and changed NTSC back to PAL and voila..it changed the frame rate from 1080 30T to 1080 25T and I now have 1hr 29mins on a 16GB card.

All I can think is that the camera might have switched back to NTSC and by setting a 25P mode it needs lots of space to do the 30t to 25t conversion.

It's definately now on PAL and 1080 25T and has the correct amount of space...so it seems if you play around with modes you MUST go back and check everything else too to make sure they are still set correctly...also when you change frame video mode it also seems to reset FOV too!! However it kept ProTune on!!

Chris
Old October 10th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #126
Ruler of the DownUnder UnderWorld

Editing the raw ProTune files in EDIUS with CC is a piece of cake here.

I find as the H.264 compression in DSLR's cannot handle solid tones to set the colour in the camera before you shoot. Do it later and you enjoy all the compression banding. Converting to another codec is a waste of time too as the compression banding is there in the raw footage to start with. Just a limitation with H.264. As one cannot set the color on the little GoPro's then you have no choice but to shoot flat.

I converted the Pro Tune to Canopus HQ fine avi and there is no difference in quality when adding in the same CC just makes mega huge files.... so just edit the raw ProTune files if your NLE can.
Paul Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 11:21 PM   #127
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Ok this is getting weird now!!

I set my cam to 1080 30T and it automatically set itself to NTSC not PAL...so I went into the menu again and changed NTSC back to PAL and voila..it changed the frame rate from 1080 30T to 1080 25T and I now have 1hr 29mins on a 16GB card.

Chris
Are you going off the numbers the display says? or recording time you're actually getting? I wouldn't be surprised if the display time left was off...
Abe Kislevitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 01:25 AM   #128
Inner Circle

Hi Abe

I'm simply looking at the time on the front display... I'll go thru the settings again and double check everything. Now on my Panasonic cameras, at 24mbps I get 97mins on a 16GB card so to me 1hr29 sounds totally off if it's recording at 35 mbps the 41 min figure sounds a lot more accurate. The display could quite rightly be highly inaccurate!! I'll give it an 40 min run in the morning here at a wedding I'm doing and see if the actual record time and display get better

Thanks for the help

Chris
Old October 11th, 2012, 01:29 AM   #129
Regular Crew

I tinkered with mine in Premiere last night – my first ever attempt to do anything besides apply ‘auto color’ in post for ‘color correction.’ I’ve got no idea what I’m doing; used ProcAmp and Equalize after toying around with some other controls and finally got something out that doesn’t look too horrible to me. I’ve actually been keen to try tweaking on adjusting some video in post processing anyway.

Mine is coming back for a 2:37 minute clip to encode in 8:30ish minutes; which is probably a bit more than usual. I’m usually about double real-time on an i7 quadcore 3.4 ghz/cuda video card machine.

At any rate, it’s all working for me or seemingly so – just FYI.
Jason Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 03:21 AM   #130
Regular Crew

I have applied the update but now find that my SanDisk class 4 15MB/s SD is not fast enough for the Protune capture speed. I get only a few seconds captured before I get a warning that the footage could not be captured as my card is too slow.
What speed card is the minimum to record the Protune version?
Mark Sudfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 03:53 AM   #131
Trustee

When is the App for Android coming???
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 04:07 AM   #132
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
When is the App for Android coming???
2 weeks after the Iphone APP. so could be any time in the next 10 days.
Ian Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 08:31 AM   #133
Major Player

Maybe my brain is a little fuzzy this morning but if it records at 35mbps would it matter what frame rate it records. Shouldn't the time be the same for all of them?

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #134
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Newland View Post
2 weeks after the Iphone APP. so could be any time in the next 10 days.
Thanks Ian.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #135
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Sudfeldt View Post
I have applied the update but now find that my SanDisk class 4 15MB/s SD is not fast enough for the Protune capture speed. I get only a few seconds captured before I get a warning that the footage could not be captured as my card is too slow.
What speed card is the minimum to record the Protune version?
Class 10 is the minimum
Abe Kislevitz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems