What camera would be best for me when it comes to color grading? - Page 26 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 5th, 2020, 07:44 AM   #376
Inner Circle

Re: What camera would be best for me when it comes to color grading?

A recurring theme with Ryan is he creates impossible scenarios which there are no solutions or rather none that he will accept. This recent tangent was what camera to buy and subsequently what lenses to use. This leads to unearthing all of these obstacles and wacky ideas Ryan has on the subject.

I can’t even convince him to get a starter kit of the most basic cinematic primes any filmmaker would need because he doesn’t want to pull focus! or there some particular scene that they don’t work. Instead of getting proper camera and lens and planning a movie around that, he instead plans a movie that he can’t shoot.

He keeps talking about this chase scene where he has locked himself into one way of filming it (no doubt that he has seen in a movie). He doesn’t want to consider alternative ways to film it that don’t involve panning a telephoto .

This thread reminds of his audio recorder thread. All he needed was an inexpensive compatible power supply, but he wouldn’t buy it.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2020, 07:52 AM   #377
Inner Circle

He's already been told how to do his telephoto running shot without the need to pull focus and you don't need f11.. It's a very old trick and I don't know why he hasn't moved on to other things.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2020, 08:09 AM   #378
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
He's already been told how to do his telephoto running shot without the need to pull focus and you don't need f11.. It's a very old trick and I don't know why he hasn't moved on to other things.
Yeah I saw that was a great idea filming in a circular path so the distance to subject remains the same.

I get the feeling he is misusing deep focus idea as a means to avoid buying cinema lenses and pulling focus, not only this scene but the entire movie.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; March 5th, 2020 at 09:02 AM.
Old March 5th, 2020, 08:54 AM   #379
Inner Circle

That could the case, but he risks messing up his entire film because he's trying to save relatively small amounts compared to his total budget. You can sell the lenses after you've finished the film.

Some of the Blackmagic 4k Pocket Camera lens options are listed here: https://wolfcrow.com/the-best-lenses...ema-camera-4k/
Old March 5th, 2020, 11:38 AM   #380
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh well as far as getting a starter kit goes I already have one of those from before, so I thought it was time to upgrade to other things rather than keeping using a camera with three primes all the time.

Yes I know I can have the actor run in a circular motion, but that only works for some of it. If the story narrative calls for the actor to change direction, I might have to pull focus then. But as long as a focus puller can handle it.

I just wanted to make a movie how I see the shots, rather than keep following a prior formula all the time.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2020, 12:49 PM   #381
Inner Circle

You can make an extremely sophisticated with just 3 prime lenses. it's how you use them that counts.

A reasonably competent focus puller should be able to manage a change in direction, although a long lens may restrict the direction of change if you want it to have any real impact on screen.
Old March 5th, 2020, 02:09 PM   #382
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay thanks. Well if the actors are going to run in circles then I might not need very long lenses then, since they are going in circles. However, will the audience notice this?

If they see the same background pass by three times, will they say, how come they are running in circles, and pick up on it?

But as for the audio thing before, I bought the power supply plug in, that I as advised to.

Last edited by Ryan Elder; March 5th, 2020 at 02:39 PM.
Old March 5th, 2020, 02:41 PM   #383
Inner Circle

Ryan - this notion you have about pulling focus. The circular track means no distance change, so no focus change. A track where they come towards and the go away from could easily be fully sharp with a smaller aperture. Even worst case, you have to use the lens wide open, on a long focal length, this is a simple matter for a a competent single operator - there really is no need to employ somebody to do this unless the camera operator is so busy it's impossible.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2020, 02:47 PM   #384
also known as Ryan Wray

Yes for sure, I know what you mean about the circular track having advantages, I just thought it would have some possible problems that come with that need to be addressed.

Such as, what if the audiences notices the same background passing by over and over again, then they will figure out that the actors are running in circles. Plus the location may not allow for a circular motion, if the story calls for the actors, to have to run into certain parts of the location, after a bit. Things like that, I thought might be possible problems with the circular track idea, thought I thought I would ask about so I know how to implement it, that's all.
Old March 5th, 2020, 03:30 PM   #385
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Elder View Post
Oh well as far as getting a starter kit goes I already have one of those from before, so I thought it was time to upgrade to other things rather than keeping using a camera with three primes all the time.
What do you mean upgrade? Primes are the life blood of cinemaphotographers. Since when did you have 3 cine primes? What brand/model do you own?

Quote:
Yes for sure, I know what you mean about the circular track having advantages, I just thought it would have some possible problems that come with that need to be addressed.

Such as, what if the audiences notices the same background passing by over and over again, then they will figure out that the actors are running in circles. Plus the location may not allow for a circular motion, if the story calls for the actors, to have to run into certain parts of the location, after a bit. Things like that, I thought might be possible problems with the circular track idea, thought I thought I would ask about so I know how to implement it, that's all.
Your visual ideas seem very limited and inflexible. A typical chase scene often alternates between a wide shot then of the pov of the person chasing. There too many variations to even list. Its also common for moving subject to enter out of focus and leave out of focus. But all you can think of is shooting with a telephoto lens.
Old March 5th, 2020, 03:56 PM   #386
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh I have a 50mm prime and a 24mm and an 85mm for my Canon T2i from before. Well by upgrade I meant use a long zoom lens if I wanted to for some shots, rather than stick to just 3 primes.

For the chase, yes I wanted the telephoto lens for the wide shot of the chase, to give the chase some panning movement during the chase, rather than a still wide lens. As for entering out of focus and leaving out of focus, I feel that might draw attention to itself, during the chase, or what would be the reason to be out of focus during the entering and leaving?
Old March 5th, 2020, 04:00 PM   #387
Inner Circle

If you're using a 300mm lens, it;s going to be a pretty big circle, so the shot is going to get a bit boring if you hold it so long enough that it repeats. If they run in a straight line past the camera, the shot probably won't last as long and the subject's size will change as they approach and move away, Also,it will only be a profile view for a short time.

I thought you were going to buy a BlackMagic, 4k Pocket Cinema Camera, if you're doing that, you'll need new lenses.
Old March 5th, 2020, 04:02 PM   #388
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh sorry, I meant let's say I use an 85mm lens instead since I was suggested I use wider lenses. If I were to use the 85mm would the circle be big enough?

When you say if they run past the camera and the shot won't last long, are you referring to if I choose to keep the opening and closing of the shot, out of focus?
Old March 5th, 2020, 04:07 PM   #389
Inner Circle

Quote:
Oh I have a 50mm prime and a 24mm and an 85mm for my Canon T2i from before. Well by upgrade I meant use a long zoom lens if I wanted to for some shots, rather than stick to just 3 primes.
Are these cine lenses?
Old March 5th, 2020, 04:09 PM   #390
Inner Circle

Do you ever think things out?

For what you're talking about an 85mm might be OK if you were shooting on 16mm film or a 2/3" video camera
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion