DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic HC Series Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-hc-series-camcorders/)
-   -   The Panasonic TM900 Users Thread (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-hc-series-camcorders/491883-panasonic-tm900-users-thread.html)

Carol Berman October 19th, 2011 11:59 AM

Re: The Panasonic TM900 Users Thread

Tom - Thank you for the excellent feedback. Let me make sure that I understand your recommendations correctly:

I tested the 30x with the tripod that I returned, and you think that with the monopod I will need to limit to the 20x setting. Except that if the only way to get the shot at all is with 30x, then break the rule.

The only filter that I am bringing is the polarizing filter for the built-in lens, but I should use that judiciously. (Are you also saying that if really needed, I could put the adapter on top of the polarizing filter?)

With the adapters, I have to balance limits on zoom (6600Pro) against slight distortion (W4607) which will mainly show up at the widest shots. Since it is always preferable to shoot without the adapter, I think that I will stick with the 6600Pro and limit using it to situations where I really need the extra width, e.g. taking shots of our group, in the car, or for panoramic scenery shots.

I can't wait for everything to get here so I can start testing with everything put together! I've been doing test videos every day - they are definitely improving but not there yet. I've signed up for a digital photography composition in the field class in a few weeks. I would prefer a workshop geared towards video but can't find any in the San Francisco area, but I think this workshop will still benefit me.

I am actually familiar with the camcorder review link you sent - that is one of the main sources I used in choosing the TM900.

Carol

Tom Hardwick October 19th, 2011 03:48 PM

The more telephoto you use the more it will test your tripod, the legs and head. Stills photographers use 1000 mm lenses sure, but then they generally use very high shutter speeds like 1/1000th sec and shorter. You'll be filming with a shutter speed of 1/60th sec and you could well be on a none-too-stable platform with a diesel engine underneath it. Me? I'd be content with the 20x zoom but as I say, pictures dictate, not pixels.

Yes, you can put the Raynox on top of the polariser and you'll need to to maintain image continuity. But before you do, check out the possible vignetting. The W4607 (Wide, 46 mm 0.7x, see?) is almost guaranteed to vignette the image corners if you do this as it's physically smaller than the 6600 Pro.

Good girl - that's exactly how a wide-angle converter should be used - when you need to see wider. If you want to shoot at 15mm, take the converter off, don't simply leave it in place, zoom and shoot at that focal length. Unless the hippo is charging, that is.

Remember that wide-angles are really all about perspective distortion, not about 'getting more in the frame'. They're at their best when used to exaggerate perspective with unusual povs, when they're used to frighten the audience as you hand-hold the camera as it careers across the plain (see note re hippo charging, above)..

tom.

Bill North October 21st, 2011 06:06 PM

Where can I get a good price on replacement batteries for the tm 900

Ian Cope October 21st, 2011 07:28 PM

Hi Bill and welcome.

Got mine here: Panasonic VWVBN130 Battery Pack HDC-TM900 HDC-TM900 NEW | eBay

Carol Berman October 22nd, 2011 08:48 PM

Hi -
I am trying to download some video that I shot to my PC from the SD Card in my TM900 using HD Writer AE 3.0. I am connecting to my computer with the USB cable. HD Writer is not recognizing any of the videos that I have on the SD Card. It shows 2+GB of data but says there are no pictures.

Most of the video on the card is 1080/60p with two AVCHD clips. I have no trouble playing this media back using the camera or playing on my Viera TV.

I previously taped and downloaded a few videos from this SD card, mostly AVCHD, and did not re-format the card afterwards. I've been recording lots of tests on the card and deleting most of them. It is a 32GB card and I am only using 2-3GB of space.

When I hook the camera up to my Windows PC, Windows Media Player comes on and requests that I set up the device. This seems to hang. I've also tried to upload the video by just cancelling the media player. I am not sure if I need Media Player or if it is causing the problem because it hangs.

After I connect the camcorder to the PC, I select the PC option on the screen. After that, it displays a READ ONLY msg on my camcorder.

My understanding is that the only way to download the 1080/60p video off of the camcorder is to use HD Writer.

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium.

Does anyone have any idea about what is causing my problem?

Carol Berman October 22nd, 2011 10:13 PM

Update to previous post:
I tried transferring the video to the internal storage. That was successful, but HD Writer still did not recognize. Then I found that I could see the video files using Windows Explorer. They showed up as MTS files instead of the M2TS files that I get when I use HD Writer to upload the video.

Are the MTS files still 1080/60p? Is there any reason not to just transfer them directly to my PC? Or am I losing something by doing that?

After I started viewing the files using Windows Explorer and playing them on VLC media player on my computer (directly from the camcorder) and uploading them to MyBookLive using Windows Explorer, all of the files on my camera suddenly showed up in HD Writer.

I've been working on this for 6-7 hours now and did not do anything different that I am aware of. The Windows Media Player device setup is still hung (for >2hrs now).

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Phil Lee October 23rd, 2011 03:47 AM

Hi

You can transfer them directly to your computer by just drag and drop/copy and paste.

Don't try and move/delete the mts files on the camcorder or camcorder memory card from the computer, as this can cause the camcorder problems as it manages the files using other data on the card, for example just deleting the video file on the camcorder means the camcorder still has data on the card elsewhere saying it is there, which can stop the card from working.

VLC on my computer gets the levels wrong when playing AVCHD files so it it looks a little washed out, just something to aware of, Windows Media Player gets the levels correct.

Regards

Phil

Mark Ahrens October 25th, 2011 09:38 PM

You Guys need a dedicated Panasonic TM900 Board

I don't own this camera but have received it's footage for a project.
Is this the only affordable camera out there shooting 60p 1080?

The quality is great, i love it! BUT. . . . the workflow is atrocious!

Here's my deal . . . getting high school football game footage from a team shooter with this cam.
Gave him an SD card to record to, picked it up, transferred the files, used ClipWrap to convert all 111 plays/clips. No Problem - 20 minutes to transfer the 6GB, 2minutes to wrap them (nice that they're all under 60 seconds so i don't have to purchase ClipWrap).
Here's the kicker, though - it's a 22 to 1 ratio for convert time to ProRes422LT! So, it's going to take about 11 hours to convert 30minutes of footage! Seriously! Using Compressor 3, 8 cores @ 100%.

Is there a better / faster way? Besides Premiere Pro? (i tried editing AVCHD codec and it just was not acceptable - stuttering)

Overnight renders are okay . . .but if i had to deal with this everyday? no way.
Any advice?

If this is mentioned in this ridiculously long thread, i apologize, but my searches came up with nada.

Hoping Canon comes out with a similar product on Nov3rd with a better post recipe.

Dan Carter October 25th, 2011 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol Berman (Post 1690844)
Update to previous post:
I tried transferring the video to the internal storage. That was successful, but HD Writer still did not recognize. Then I found that I could see the video files using Windows Explorer. They showed up as MTS files instead of the M2TS files that I get when I use HD Writer to upload the video.

Are the MTS files still 1080/60p? Is there any reason not to just transfer them directly to my PC? Or am I losing something by doing that?

After I started viewing the files using Windows Explorer and playing them on VLC media player on my computer (directly from the camcorder) and uploading them to MyBookLive using Windows Explorer, all of the files on my camera suddenly showed up in HD Writer.

I've been working on this for 6-7 hours now and did not do anything different that I am aware of. The Windows Media Player device setup is still hung (for >2hrs now).

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Hello Carol,

Unfortunately Windows Vista does not have native support for AVCHD files. If your hardware supports it, Windows 7 provides native AVCHD support and will solve all the usual workflow issues.

With Windows 7 you'll be able to import video clips to Windows Live Photo Gallery or Picasa just as you would a JPEG image. Both programs allow viewing and categorizing clips as well. The new Windows Movie Maker also supports basic editing of AVCHD clips.

Good Luck.

Paul Francs October 26th, 2011 12:47 AM

Re: You Guys need a dedicated Panasonic TM900 Board

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Ahrens (Post 1691545)
Is there a better / faster way? Besides Premiere Pro? (

I use Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinium 11. It handles 1080 50/60p footage with ease..

It takes awhile to render footage but my PC is 3 years old and was only a middle of the range one back then..

Keith Moreau October 26th, 2011 12:58 AM

Re: You Guys need a dedicated Panasonic TM900 Board

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Ahrens (Post 1691545)
Here's the kicker, though - it's a 22 to 1 ratio for convert time to ProRes422LT! So, it's going to take about 11 hours to convert 30minutes of footage! Seriously! Using Compressor 3, 8 cores @ 100%.

Is there a better / faster way? Besides Premiere Pro? (i tried editing AVCHD codec and it just was not acceptable - stuttering)

You might try using Mpeg Streamclip in multiprocessor mode, I think its faster than compressor for this kind of thing, 11 hours seems excessive. Not only that your footage blows up to 5 to 6 times the original size - a lot of hard drive space.

I do use Premiere Pro 5.5 and I find it handles the 1080 60p footage well. It was one of the reasons I switched from FCP to Premiere was how well it handled the AVCHD footage and saved me all that wrapping and transcoding time. The stuttering isn't happening too badly unless I do a lot of multiclip work, but I'm on a 8 core mac Pro.

Oh, another thing by the way, don't use the Clipwrapped footage with .MOV extension in Premiere Pro, it chokes on this for some reason, I think because if it sees a .mov it starts using quicktime to decode the footage, maybe that's your problem. Native MTS files work pretty well.

Peter Phelan October 26th, 2011 01:48 AM

Another option is to convert to a Cineform .avi format. There is a demo of the standalone Neoscene so you can see how this works for you. I use this for all my Canon DSLR footage.

Peter

Mark Ahrens October 26th, 2011 05:23 AM

Keith, thanks . . . i'll try the native files - i probably used the clip wrapped last time i tried.
By MultiProcessor mode in Streamclip, do you mean the "amount of instances" drop down option?
I've never seen a "multi processor mode" on Streamclip. Guess i'll have to look closer. That app just amazes me . . . it can do so much and it's free . . . gotta donate to that one!

I guess if this is the direction editing is going, my Final Cut Suite is headed for the backburner. ugh.

Alastair Traill October 28th, 2011 04:29 AM

Edius 6 or Premiere Pro CS 5.5?

The discount offer on Premiere Pro expires very soon and the details of the Edius 6 discount are yet to be announced. A bit of fiddling with TM 900 clips and an FCP X trial copy shows that there are serious shortcomings in actually getting the material into the program. There are also storage issues for the transcoded footage. Regrettably FCP X is out..

In short I am trying to decide between Edius 6 and Premiere, as an iMac user (3.06 GHZ, Intel core 2 duo, 4 GB) I have the added expense of buying Windows 7 Pro and maybe Parallels if I go for Edius. However that is a minor consideration

My question is, is there a compelling reason (or reasons) to go for one of these programs rather than the other? I also have an EX3 to consider. As I see it both programs have a lot to recommend them but Premiere is possibly more flexible. However my needs are fairly basic and the ease of use and a gentle learning curve are both highly desirable. I would appreciate any comments.

Andy Wilkinson October 28th, 2011 04:41 AM

I went the Adobe CS 5.5 Production Premium route. Main reason is flexibility and what promises to be a relatively easy switch in workflow from FCS2. I say promises - I've been so busy the last few weeks with existing FCP projects and clients wanting new versions of older films that I've only had a couple of chances to open CS5.5 to have "a general look around" so I can't personally verify what I've read. Looks like it'll be OK though! Can't wait to be able to easily mix Canon 7D, Sony EX3 and Panasonic TM900 (1080p50 footage) all in the same project....without tedious transcoding and re-rendering, not to mention seeing all 8 cores on my Mac Pro and all that RAM hard at work! Up until now I've been using Vegas Pro 9E on a Windows 7 Core i7 PC for TM900 stuff (which it handles well). Adobe's After Effects and Audition should be superb tools to have in my editing bay too! After years of using Photoshop Elements it's also great to have the full version.

Adobe does have some great on-line resources for FCS2 switchers and I'm totally confident it is the right choice for me but I won't be using it for commercially critical projects until I'm up to speed. But until then, FCS2 is running just fine alongside it.

Andy Wilkinson October 28th, 2011 03:26 PM

Panasonic TM900 Users Thread - Index for the 25 Pages So Far!

OK, after 50,000 views I guess its time for another very brief summary of what we've all covered below - lots of nuiances I've missed (I'm just trying to help!) so don't forget you can use the "Seach this Thread" function too. Many thanks to everyone for making this such a useful and informative thread for all of us TM900 (and SD900, HS900 etc.) owners - and potential wannabe owners too. Keep the tips and user experiences (good and bad) coming!

Page 1 - TM900 specs, first impressions, link to Panasonic information, new battery type needed, suggested camera settings, No "Bondi Blue", remote control.

Page 2 - Filters and chances of vignetting, editing 1080p50/60.

Page 3 - 1080p50 as slow motion in post, hybrid optical image stabilisation and iZoom test video.

Page 4 - No Bondi Blue (again...), tendency to overexpose in bright sunlight, low light test video.

Page 5 - TM900 and Steadicam Merlin test video, larger battery pics/comments, battery charger.

Page 6 - More TM900 and Steadicam Merlin tests, Rode Videomic Pro/Nikon ME-1 discussion, my accessory shoe modification.

Page 7 - Polarising filters, ND filters, more test films.

Page 8 - Wide angle adapters, TM900 and Canon 7D comparison test video.

Page 9 - More on wide angle adapters, manual settings.

Page 10 - More on manual settings, menus, shutter speed selection, relay recording clarified.

Page 11 - Rode Vidoemic Pro and deadcat information (link to audio section), editing 1080p50 (again), iZoom and polarising filters clarification.

Page 12 - Fan noise (or lack of in some cases), wide angle adapters (again), recording specs - still unanswered - anyone?

Page 13 - Some discussion on Intelligent Contrast Mode.

Page 14 - Discussion on AVCHD, editing, wide angles for the TM900 etc. series and ultra close up (i.e. macro ideas and lens tips). Discussion on F stops.

Page 15 - F-stops discussion continued. Pics of the Rode VMP (with Deadcat on) on a Rycote bar with my TM900.

Page 16 - Shutter speed discussion. Tendency to blow out highlights and exposure compensation settings discussed again.

Page 17 - More thoughts and demos on shutter speed. Good new user summary.

Page 18 - SD card choice/suggestions.

Page 19 - Filters and backlight compensation discussion.

Page 20 - Backlight compensation discussion (cont.) and batteries/battery life.

Page 21 - Asthetics of the TM900 image along with neutral density/other filters discussion/image issues with small sensor cams.

Page 22 - Canon 60D versus TM900 image/asthetics comments. Discussion on slow shutter speeds.

Page 23 - TM900 for an African safari? - comments and advice. Serious audio accessories (with excellent pics).

Page 24 - More African safari TM900 accessory kit advice plus Nikon ME1 microphone comments.

Page 25 - TM900 and NLE workflow discussion/suggestions....(ongoing)....

Tom Hardwick October 29th, 2011 06:06 AM

Re: Ultra close ups

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claire Watson (Post 1653577)
Here are the minimum/max focus distances I found for my TM900 with close up lenses, +1 diopter = 21" to 42" +2 diopter = 13" to 22" +4 diopter = 8" to 10.5"

Just to say that I'm using the SD900 to rephotograph a lot of 35mm slides. I use a +3 dioptre lens and the 900 allows me to zoom in to crop the original film image if needs be. I have the camera in manual - w/b, shutter speed and iris. I find auto-focus is fine shooting plane-parallel like this.

What's good is that when using this camera in its stills mode you can select a genuine f/4 (the sweet spot) and vary the shutter speed to suit. In the movie mode f/4 is simply maximum aperture with added internal ND of course.

You can shoot in the same aspect ratio as the original 35mm frame and you get 9mp (or so) copies of your transparencies. It's a lot quicker than scanning my slides on my ancient Minolta Dimage II.

tom.

Tom Hardwick October 29th, 2011 07:07 AM

Just a note to Alan Christensen (p 14).who says, 'The manual "iris" control is limited to a set of pre-defined combinations of f stop and gain. The settings are f4.0, f3.4, f2.8, f2.4, f2.0, f1.7, open, open w/ 3db gain, open w/ 6db gain, ... all the way up to 18db gain. Notice that no gain is ever applied until the iris is completely open (f1.5)'.

This sequence of events is true when the camera is set up for shooting stills but only partially true when it's shooting movies. The gain is only applied once maximum aperture has been reached and all the internal ND filtration has been removed.

To put it another way: as it gets darker (when in movie camera mode) the 900 opens its two iris blades (that give horrible diamond oof highlights btw) to maximum aperture, and the screen readout shows f/5.6.

It gets darker still. The iris blades are fully open, so from f/5.6 to 'open' the internal ND is withdrawn to mimic the effect of going f/5.6, f/4, f/2.8 etc. While this is happening the screen readout is actually showing these changing f stop figures, but as you can see they're simply extrapolations you and I can relate to.

tom.

Kevin Janisch November 3rd, 2011 01:07 PM

Quick question, no touch focus in Manual Mode??? There's AF tracking in iA mode which is pretty handy, but no touch focus in Manual?

Kevin Janisch November 4th, 2011 02:16 PM

Anybody know how to turn off the "timecode" display during playback while viewing on camera? Many thanks.

Geoffrey Cox November 8th, 2011 07:17 AM

Simple question: when in manual mode and after adjusting shutter, WB etc on the touch screen, how do get the display to disappear or go back the main menu without closing the cam door and opening it again?!

Tom Hardwick November 8th, 2011 08:00 AM

Simple answer: when you've touched iris and it's been yellow ringed it's now locked, right? Touch it again, the yellow ring disappears (leaving locked iris, natch) as too does the vertical list, to be replaced by the <II> at bottom left.

I then toggle through to get the 'active OIS' hand up on screen, which, when touched, brings this magical stabilisation into play.

to,

Geoffrey Cox November 8th, 2011 08:09 AM

Tom: a simple thanks. Press it twice, doh!

George Taylor November 9th, 2011 04:58 PM

I'm trying to find out if the TM900 has manual ability to shut off AGC. I can't find anything in the user guide or on the menu screen. Nothing that even says the camera has AGC to begin with. Can anyone shed light on this?

Second, if I can't shut off AGC on the camcorder, would one expect bad results (clipping, etc.) using a shotgun mic in somewhat windy conditions if using a good deadcat? I would probably be using a JuicedLink CX211 and Azden SGM 2x or 1x.

Thanks for any help.

Keith Moreau November 9th, 2011 05:03 PM

Sure, it's there in the record setup/Mic Level/, you can set to Auto or manual and adjust the manual level from there.

I believe it's also in the user manual. You also have the choice of Manual or AGC + Manual in there, not entirely sure of the AGC + Manual effect, but you have more choices than you even asked for.

Claire Watson November 9th, 2011 05:27 PM

Yes you can turn off AGC, at least in manual mode, I don't ever use iA mode so not sure about that,

I turned off the AGC because I hated the pumping effect I got with it on and the increased background noise during quiet moments.

I use an Edirol CS50 stereo shotgun mike fitted with a Rode WS6 windshield and a JuicedLink CX231 all on a Hague portable camera support. I am very happy with this combination and no longer worry about what my audio will sound like when outside in wind.

With gain switches on the JL set to MED I have the TM900's record level set to -12dB. This seems to allow me plenty of headroom for sudden loud sounds such as a passing truck roaring by, (no clipping occurs) while I can still pick up useful ambient sound from far off. I set the TM900's record level to -6 in a controlled environment if I want maximum recorded sound. Seems to be working out very well for me.

George Taylor November 9th, 2011 06:47 PM

Duh!!!! It helps to have the cam in Manual mode before looking at the menu. Thanks, Keith.

And thanks, Claire for some very useful tips. For the record, I'll be using the Azden SGM 2x with Windcutter Stormchaser and JuicedLink CX211 for my upcoming trip to N'Djamena and rural SW Chad. In your opinion, do I have the right (or at least an acceptable) JL pre-amp?. It's good to know that with the Panny at least I don't have to add another box to disable AGC.

George Taylor November 9th, 2011 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Lee (Post 1690877)
Hi

You can transfer them directly to your computer by just drag and drop/copy and paste.

Don't try and move/delete the mts files on the camcorder or camcorder memory card from the computer, as this can cause the camcorder problems as it manages the files using other data on the card, for example just deleting the video file on the camcorder means the camcorder still has data on the card elsewhere saying it is there, which can stop the card from working.

VLC on my computer gets the levels wrong when playing AVCHD files so it it looks a little washed out, just something to aware of, Windows Media Player gets the levels correct.

Regards

Phil

Phil, can you elaborate on this? Like Carol, I was under the impression that one had to use the Panny software to successfully upload 1080/60P files to the computer.

If I read you correctly, I can simply plug in my camcorder vis USB (or insert the card into a card reader) and let the computer (Windows 7 Home Premium) treat the camcorder/card reader as an external drive, then drag and drop the video files.

If so, will I then be able to work with them using the HD Writer software on my computer? (I need some help with your second paragraph..."Don't try and move......")

Also, once the files are moved, can I simply re-format the cards AND the camcorder's flash drive?

This will be very helpful for me, because it will mean I won't have to expend precious laptop battery power uploading files with HD Writer. I'll be in the African bush without electricity for six weeks. I'll have a vehicle charger for camera equipment, but it won't be able to recharge my netbook, which I'm taking only for the laege storage capacity.

Finally, is there anything else I should be aware of to use the drag and drop method?

Thanks much.

Claire Watson November 10th, 2011 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Taylor (Post 1695833)
Duh!!!! It helps to have the cam in Manual mode before looking at the menu. Thanks, Keith.

And thanks, Claire for some very useful tips. For the record, I'll be using the Azden SGM 2x with Windcutter Stormchaser and JuicedLink CX211 for my upcoming trip to N'Djamena and rural SW Chad. In your opinion, do I have the right (or at least an acceptable) JL pre-amp?. It's good to know that with the Panny at least I don't have to add another box to disable AGC.

George, I think your JL is same as mine except for the phantom power which I guess you don't need since your mic takes a battery, These preamps work really well and in case you don't know.. keep the TM900's record level down and let the JL's superior low noise preamp do the work.

One thing, it's very easy to forget to turn off the JL after use so take plenty spare batteries for it.

Keith Moreau November 10th, 2011 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Taylor (Post 1695842)
Finally, is there anything else I should be aware of to use the drag and drop method?

Thanks much.

Drag and drop works, as long as your editing software can deal with the native AVCHD files. I use Premiere and it does. Other software, like Final Cut Pro, requires transcoding.

I also, just for safety, use some type of verification method to read back the card and compare it to what it was written when I copy off the card, I have found, on occasion that for whatever reason the drag and drop will miss a bit here or there. Very unlikely, but it happens, and it's hard to recover long GOP video when that happens.

I use a Mac, so I use Chronosync. There is software called 'shot-put' that does something similar, I'm sure there is also windows software that also does this verification.

Claire Watson November 10th, 2011 04:53 AM

While drag and drop works, I prefer to use HD Writer to transfer the footage. The reason is that with drag and drop you lose the option to have meaningful filenames. HD Writer lets you choose what to say in the filename and also include date and time, I consider this vital when sorting clips during editing and moving stuff around on the timeline.

example..

With HD Writer doing the transfer, you could have.. ''30-04-2011_110808.m2ts" etc.

This translates to the day, hour, minute and frame count. You type the date before pressing go and the h:s;f is added automatically, or you might type "Wedding 20-04-2011", whatever you like.

With drag and drop you only get meaningless names.. 0001.mt, 0002.mt, 0003.mt, etc.

The m2ts files from HD Writer also give me date and time data that can be displayed on the monitor, not sure if this is available with only the mt files using drag and drop, I haven't tested that.

BTW, there is some talk of NLE's faiing to properly stitch together the clips larger than the 4GB (or is it 2GB?) that this camera splits such clips down to when filming continuously for more than a certain duration. HD Writer appears to stitch seamlessly, I have yet to find any defective clips in all the months I have been using this camera.

Also, HD Writer transfers the .tmb files as well as the video clips, so what are they? They are 416 x 240 thumbnails, useful in File Explorer especially if you are running WinXP as opposed to Win7 in which case file explorer would normally not display the m2ts file thumbnails.

George Taylor November 10th, 2011 12:03 PM

Thanks, Claire and Keith. Your inputs are very helpful. You may think I'm crazy, but I have decided to not even think about post packages and processes until I get back from Africa. This is my first foray into video, and I just want to be sure I get good shots and sound and save them (twice) appropriately. I'll shoot only in highest def and figure out what to do with the footage later. I received the cam only three months ago. I love it, but there's more than enough that this septagenarian mind can handle without having to deal with editing technology (not to mention the cost). It may mean going to a pro for editing help. but it will be worth it so long as I come back with quality footage.

On another matter, does anyone know if there is a charger for the TM900 battery that has a car outlet and ships from the USA? It appears the Panasonic branded charger does not have a cigarette lighter adapter. Carol Berman has ordered one from Hong Kong, but I'm afraid I might not have enough time for that. They advertise 15 - 17 days, and I leave November 30. I've looked on Adorams, B&H, Amazon and the like but haven't found one.

I think I've solved the battery charging problem that was the subject of earlier comments on this thread. My host in Chad tells me we will always have access to a motor vehicle of some sort. That avoids me having to think about 110/220 volt conversions.

Thanks for any help.

George Taylor November 10th, 2011 02:39 PM

I just found the answer to my battery charger question here:
PANASONIC Battery Chargers, VW-VBN130

The $8.95 price is unbelievable, and I would normally be skeptical. However, I talked with the shop owner on the phone and he appeared very helpful. They ship from Fremont, CA, about 20 miles from my house.

I'm ordering two, in case one fails on me. And I'll have plenty of time to try them out before I leave.

Keith Moreau November 10th, 2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claire Watson (Post 1695937)
While drag and drop works, I prefer to use HD Writer to transfer the footage..

For whatever process you use to get the files onto your computer, I think it is wise to archive the contents of the SDHC card in the original form. Not only does this back up the original data, but it also preserves the metadata that is included in the original file structure, which contains data, lens, and other info. Most professional NLEs (or even prosumer ones).

You can then use other apps to translate that original native data to something else, or just use the native structure. In my opinion this is the most efficient way to handle the files.

Keith Moreau November 10th, 2011 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Taylor (Post 1696049)
Thanks, Claire and Keith. Your inputs are very helpful. You may think I'm crazy, but I have decided to not even think about post packages and processes until I get back from Africa.

That's all fine, but I would recommend that the data that you shoot is somehow backed up. These cards are not infallible, not to mention easy to misplace in a foreign land. If you plan to fill up more than the cards you have, an archive is of course necessary, but even a 2nd copy of that would be a good idea.

Good luck to you and have fun on your trip.

George Taylor November 10th, 2011 04:29 PM

Thanks, Keith. I'll archive the card data as you suggest. Is copying from the Panny's flash drive the same thing as from an SDHC? I would think so.

Here's how I'm planning to manage my storage - Upload ("copy" function) my SDHC card and camcorder flash files via USB to my HP Pavilion dm1 netbook (340GB). Plug in my USB powered dvd writer. Copy my files from the netbook to a standard dvd disc for storage. Make sure I can see the data on the dvd (if possible). Reformat the SDHC card. BUT....can I also reformat the Panny's flash drive? or should I just delete only the copied files?

On my netbook, I'll create a separate folder for each day or maybe half-day if I'm doing a lot of shooting. I'll keep a handwritten notebook of scenes while shooting, and draw a line to separate uploads.

I've got 2x32GB SDHC cards to go with the 32GB flash storage - 96GB total before needing to upload. (Of course, I may do it more frequently, depending on my shooting schedule.) I will not use any SDHC for permanent storage.

Tonight, I'll see if I can make heads or tails out of the contents on the flash drive - especfially to see if there's any "software" there that should not be touched.

As always, I'll be grateful to hear of any flaws in my thinking. Thanks all!

Keith Moreau November 10th, 2011 04:36 PM

You should only delete files off the camera or SDHC when you're sure they're backed up, preferably backed up twice and you have had a chance to at least view the footage you've taped or at least inspect the files to make sure they are basically what you think they should be.

You should have some type of set ritual that you use to archive, like at the end of each day, even if the card and cam isn't filled up. You never know when you're going to lose files or even the camcorder or just need more space.

The internal 32 GB plus a SDHC card is great. You can even set the TM900 to 'relay' from the internal to external if you think you're going to be shooting continuously for several hours.

I you haven't, consider getting one of the long playing batteries, they are great for not having to worry about changing batteries.

The actual video files are .MTS files, they will be named 00000.MTS, 00001.MTS, etc deep inside a series of folders. Those can be played via various players, VLC should work for you.

When you archive, just copy everything from the root of the SDHC or Camera Memory (they are both the same structure), including all the weird folders. Then when it's time to edit, you'll have an exact duplicate of the card.

Good luck.

George Taylor November 10th, 2011 05:36 PM

Thanks, Keith. Just two questions:
1) I hope I'm not thick, but what is VLC?
2) So, do I copy (and delete after verification) only the MTS files and leave everything else on the card/flash drive, or can I reformat the card/flash, like I do with my D200 DSLR?

Thanks!

Keith Moreau November 10th, 2011 05:43 PM

VLC, stands for Video Lan Client, it's a video player, plays all kinds of video formats, including MTS. Compatible with PCs. I'm sure there are other players that work as well. I'm on a Mac so I use other stuff that works a bit more friendly for me, such as "Movist."

When you're sure you've backed up what's on the card and are ready to clear it, format the card (or the internal memory) in the camcorder.

Hope this helps.

George Taylor November 10th, 2011 09:53 PM

It does help. Keith. I downloaded VLC and tried to play some files I previously downloaded with HD Writer. In each case the starting image appeared and froze, but the audio played through correctly. I'll experiment tomorrow by uploading files by drag-and-drop, and see if they work better. Anyway, I'm sure I'll solve the problem.
Thanks for everybody's mentoring!