DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic HC Series Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-hc-series-camcorders/)
-   -   The Panasonic TM900 Users Thread (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-hc-series-camcorders/491883-panasonic-tm900-users-thread.html)

Peter Riding August 17th, 2011 09:05 AM

Re: The Panasonic TM900 Users Thread

Just a heads up if you're looking to fix a polariser to the TM900 or TM700 (same size threads).

If you also shoot with dSLRs you've probably already got various polarisers but probably not of the very narrow 46mm width that the TM's take. The answer is to use step-up rings to adapt to your larger filters.

I have 72mm and 77mm polarisers to match my Canon L glass but I was not able to find a 46-72 or a 46-77 step up ring. However if you go 46-67 then 67-72 (or 67-77) they work fine and without any vignetting at widest angle.

In the UK you can get these rings from Speed Graphic Home - for the widest range of photo accessories

Oh and one other little tidbit that I don't recall reading in the thread: the backlight compensation function works really well. Therefore you may not need to bother delving into the manual exposure functions. Its not a sticky function though - switching the cam off resets it to OFF.

Pete

Mark Rosenzweig August 17th, 2011 04:36 PM

Thanks for the tip on the step-up rings.

But I am puzzled by this: "the backlight compensation function works really well. Therefore you may not need to bother delving into the manual exposure functions."

Backlight compensation as I understand it increases exposure. The problem with the TM900 is that it overexposes in sunlight. So I do not see how the overexposure button helps you avoid manual mode where it is most needed. Of course, it help when there is backlight! Maybe you jus meant in that scenario, not generally?

Tom Hardwick August 18th, 2011 02:00 AM

I'm with you Mark. The backlight button adds an arbitrary 1.5 stops or so to the exposure so is like a stopped clock - right only twice in 24 hours. For me the spotlight button (does the 900 have this facility?) is a far more useful tool as it ensures that highlights don't over-expose.

tom.

Peter Riding August 18th, 2011 02:51 AM

Mark, yep sorry - it was a general tidbit to add to the sum of knowledge in the thread rather than a specific recommendation on how to deal with perceived over exposure in sunny conditions.

Tom, I wouldn't say the backlight compensation function is arbitary at all. I've used it dozens of times in scenarios where the compensation required has varied from under a stop to a heck of a lot more (as measured with my two 5DII's with which I shoot stills at the same time) and its performance has been impressive. Same goes for the TM700. Neither appear to be adding a fixed value for compensation.

Its big advantage is that you can be ready to shoot very quickly indeed rather than delving into the manual function menus. And it will of course adjust itself if the amount of backlighting changes such as if clouds temporarily obscure the sun; therefore it works well for a locked down unattended cam.

Pete

Tom Hardwick August 18th, 2011 03:04 AM

Interesting! I didn't realise the 900 used iBLC (intelligent backlight compensation) but of course - with a camera as clever and competent as this, why on earth not? Thanks for the info Peter. But I can only access this iBLC using the camera's remote?

Colin Rowe August 18th, 2011 03:34 AM

Tom. The BLC can be toggled on / off in the menu, you say you can only access it via the remote!! It is obviously only available in auto mode or when you have the camera in floating iris mode

Peter Riding August 18th, 2011 07:25 AM

Tom, the Backlight Compensation function is available to me in both auto and in manual modes. Its within the Record Setup Menu.

No need to use the Remote Control.

As Colin says, it is not available when you set the Iris manually - it is greyed out - but it is not greyed out when you set the shutter speed manually and shows as ON if indeed that is what you have set it to be; however it does not appear to function if you have set the shutter speed manually.

It is a sticky setting between manual and auto so long as you don't turn off the cam, in which case it of course reverts to OFF. Therefore it would be a good choice if you have set your cam to the various manual exposure settings for a given scenario and then suddenly the shooting conditions change and you do not have time to readjust ..... just switch the cam to auto. that might happen for example if you are shooting a bride and groom entering a function room for their wedding breakfast and they take a different route to their table from that which you were expecting.

Pete

Andy Wilkinson August 21st, 2011 01:47 AM

Panasonic TM900 in Mauritius

I've just returned from spending the best part of a month on a family holiday in my wife's native Mauritius. This time we stayed in 3 hotels: Le Mauricia in Grand Bay (as it is near where one of my wife's brothers lives); then Sugar Beach; and then The Hilton, both in Flic-en-Flac.

I agonised for some time as to which cams I would take from my collection (the EX3 was always out for size/weight/attention attracting reasons) but I was very close to taking the Canon 7D and a few selected lenses but was worried about weight, potential overheating and the fact that I have only two 16GB CF cards for video storage (and did not want to buy many more) and I did not want to take my MBP to off-load footage.

In the end I took the tiny TM900 as the "main cam" with the Kodak Zx5 waterproof cam for the kids to use during watersports/snorkling/fun in the pool and sea etc. I have lots and lots of 16GB SDHC cards. My wife had the Nikon P6000 for stills and both the kids took there point and shoot stills cams.

I also took my Rode Videomic Pro, its deadcat and the Rycote extension bar and a 46mm Polarising filter for occasional use in specific circumstances and the Jobi Gorillapod for any static timelapse/sunsets type stuff. I had 1 big and 1 small battery for the TM900 with me - more on that later.

Both cams got used very extensively. In fact, almost as soon as we'd landed we met one of my wife's sisters who had just arrived from Toronto and she asked me to video her School Reunion in Port Louis the day after. There were going to be 55 women there, some having returned to Mauritius from all over the World specifically for this event. She told me I'd be one of only 2 blokes - the other running the disco and karaoke! How could I say no.... I would have liked a bit more notice(!) but to sweeten it further she offered several weeks free supply of Phoenix Beer (at the horrendous hotel prices) to "seal the deal" - since she was also staying in the same hotels with us anyway.

The TM900 suited the mostly run and gun shooting I needed to capture family events (as well as that school reunion) and my kids having fun doing things like waterski-ing, watching dolphins etc. I used it almost exclusively with 1080p50 at 28Mbps, in manual mode (but with auto iris and auto focus). I needed to have the picture adjust settings for exposure dialed down to -3 or -4, occassionally -5 in the strong sunlight, sometimes just -1 or -2 in the shade but soon became very fast at adjusting this on the fly. Shutter speeds were almost always locked, either at 1/100 or 1/50 depending on shot (i.e. if I think I'll slow it down in post). Back light compensation also got used now and again in the way described in this thread immediately above. The 20x intelligent zoom, in combination with the highly effective image stabilisation was brilliant since 95% of what I was shooting needed to be hand-held. The viewfinder got useda lot in such bright conditions too. The "instant on" function was also terrific.

The only time I used 1080p25 HA video (i.e. more normal AVCHD at 17Mbps) was with timelapse stuff and the School Reunion (since it was an all day event). I was worried about using a huge chunk of my available SDHC memory (as well as battery longevity) but in the end I managed to do it with both the batteries (easily) by simply using every opportunity (i.e. when there was a few minutes lull in the proceedings) to top up charge. Remember, the TM900 needs to be switched off to charge the battery on the camera (unless you buy an external charger) - one unfortunate change over the older TM700. Anyway, my 2 batteries got me through the day no problem in the end.

I also greatly enjoyed the (very easy to use) in-camera editing/trimming of clips function to make the most efficient use of my available memory capacity during the trip. The good, sharp and clear viewfinder (albeit oversaturated) and simple touch screen operation made this a joy to do sitting in the shade by the pool with my free beers! For example, I got that school reunion down to a mere 16GB of the best bits that I'll use for further edit selections to make their film. In all I have just under 100GB of video from this trip. Well, I've just quickly viewed some of the footage on my big monitors now I'm back and I have to say I'm absolutely delighted! Most of the time I got the exposure right (the zebras and the histogram being essential here) and in the times when I needed manual focus the blue peaking worked a treat for nailing it.

It's mostly personal/family stuff but I'm sure a few selected bits will appear on the web in due course - so watch this space!

Bottom line, the TM900 really "delivered" as a small, light, highly flexible, reliable run-n-gun and travel cam offering stunning image quality. During my intensive use it acquired a few minor (cosmetic) case scratches - I used it every day out in boats, on the beach etc. being very careful when around sand and salt water/wiping it down lightly every night etc. but those scratches will just remind me of all the great things it captured for a few years to come.

It worked flawlessly. So glad I have it and took it!

Peter Phelan August 21st, 2011 05:24 AM

Thanks for the update on all this Andy. And nice to hear the camera performed well on what was obviously an enjoyable trip. As you say, it's a question of "horses for courses" when selecting the best tool for any particular shoot or occasion.

Peter

Kevin Janisch September 2nd, 2011 06:34 PM

Has anybody done a comparison of the TM900 and the SD90? Half the price, wider lens, 40x intelligent zoom (21x optical), single cmos.

Colin Rowe September 2nd, 2011 07:04 PM

Way lower spec than 900 series. Google it, all the information is out there

Kevin Janisch September 2nd, 2011 07:14 PM

Thanks Colin. I've seen the surface level specs but looking for the major advantages of the TM900 over the SD90. I can't find any direct comparisons of actual footage. I've read the SD90 is noisier in low light but not by as much as you would think. I'm just wondering how big the gap is in image quality and usability. The SD90 is wider than my HV40 with a .6 Raynox WA converter when I borrowed my brothers SD90. This alone blew me away. And 21x optical (40 ia) is just remarkable. I'm just wondering how much better the 3mos is than the the single and if it warrants double the money. Onboard memory doesn't matter to me. Both have 1080 60p. So it basically comes down to how much better the image quality is for double the money as having that type of range on the lens is pretty remarkable as far as the SD90 goes. My last family camera was a GS300 (one of the few 3ccd consumer camcorders in it's day) but haven't touched it since my HV40. Many thanks.

Kevin

Barry Sampson September 6th, 2011 10:23 AM

Hi all,

I'm trying to connect my HS900 to view/edit footage but the software is not seeing it. I'm using WinDoze 7 in a parallels environment on my Mac and the bundled HD Writer software.

I'm connecting the camera, powered by mains, plugging in the USB, and when I chose "connect to PC" the HD & SD card show up in WinDoze explorer as expected. According to the manual, the wizard should automatically open when I connect but doesn't. Neither does it show up in the HD Writer window when I select "Media playback". According to Panasonic, the camera is successfully connected if it shows in explorer so I'm confused!

Help welcomed :0)

Thanks

Barry

Colin Rowe September 6th, 2011 04:19 PM

Dont know a thing about Mac's Barry, could be your set up. Try putting the card in a card reader and see what happens. Saves on the hassle of conneting the camera every time as well.
I think you may have to convert te clips or playback on a Mac, check this out http://www.panasonic-video-converter...-video-on-mac/
Are you using FCP ? If so this cant import the Pannies MTS files, they will need converting to ProRes
Seems the same applies to i movie. http://prores-aic-converter.com/?tag...c-tm900-to-aic

Kevin Janisch September 9th, 2011 05:27 PM

TM900 on Steadicam with OIS?

Conventionally, it's been said to turn off all OIS when doing steadicam work. Does this still hold true with the latest OIS technology on the TM900?

Bill Grant September 9th, 2011 07:00 PM

Got my TM900 tonight! Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll be using it for my wedding tomorrow along with my HMC-150, 5Dmkii and 60D. Tapeless goodness! I apparently bought a spare of the stock battery and not an extended one Can someone recommend an extended battery and how long should I expect the battery to last. VERY impressed so far.
BIll

Andy Wilkinson September 10th, 2011 04:32 AM

Little battery lasts about 1hr, maybe 75 minutes continuous use. Note that you may not get maximum battery life until the battery has been conditioned a few times (fully charge, almost fully drain, then fully charge etc.).

My (genuine Panny) big one is closer to 3 hrs. However I've "survived" all day with the little battery and "instant on" enabled for doing lots of impromptu shots on a recent holiday where the TM900 "lived constantly" in my palm - almost every day - so it really depends how you use it. I also managed to film a recent all day event (in Mauritius - mentioned above) with just one big and one small battery and frequent charging when there was a lull in the proceedings. Not ideal but it worked out OK. If the camera is locked off on a tripod, then of course try and use AC power too (if available - although that will not charge the battery when the TM900 is actually turned on).

Bill Grant September 10th, 2011 09:52 AM

I recorded the moon last night for about an hour continuous and it still showed 26 mins on the lcd. That was with LCD open. So I think it'll do for now. The big battery looks to be $125. I'll see after the wedding today.

Here's a clip...

Colin Rowe September 10th, 2011 10:32 AM

Bill.
I have used my TM900 on several weddings. I have 2 of the standard batteries. Battery 1 does the arrival service and photoshoot. Battery 2 does the reception and greeting line, still about an hour of use left in it.
During the meal both batteries are charged, leaving ample power for the, speeches, cake cutting, first dance etc, etc.

Bill Grant September 10th, 2011 11:10 AM

Thanks Colin. I'm thinking of setting up the TM900 as a wide on the first dance tonight just for kicks. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Bill

Tom Roper September 20th, 2011 02:45 PM

I'm giving this thread a bump on the merit of the user contributions which are informational, friendly and helpful. Many thanks to Andy, Claire and others for posting so much valuable info. I'm going to add a few observations of my own and why I chose this cam to fill a void.

I have a Sony PMW350k 2/3" XDCAM HD with Nanoflash 50 mbps 422 which would have made the Canon XF100 an obvious fit for the work flow. Also have 5D Mk II and HV10, and used to have an xha1 and EX1, the latter I wish I kept.

I was looking for a way to trail bike into the back country deep, and the xdcam is just obviously too big for that. I could do it with a truck and hiking, but covering the ground I have in mind would take days or weeks. Keeping a low profile is also nice.

So why the TM900 over the xf100 or xa10? All three are fantastic and could make the case for any of them. The TM900 concerned me that it might be a one trick pony, with its 1080/60p mode overshadowing otherwise average performance, and no solid distribution format for its highest quality setting.

As noted by the other members, Vegas 10d 64 bit does an excellent job making quality 1080/60i renders for Blu-ray, and also does a great job rendering to 1080/60p mpeg2 for native frame rate playback on the PS3.

The xf100 is just a tad heavy and expensive for rough trail handling, the g10 is the cheaper choice if I have to replace something. The video quality of the xf100, xa10 and g10 and pro features are awesome but in the end, held back from the best in my opinion by the choice to use a single sensor and bayer filter.

My initial impression of the TM900 was disappointment, the lack of pro features, and the images at first did not wow me on manual settings. The automation settings on the other hand produce lovely images, so I've had to adapt my shooting style to what the camera does best.

The image stabilization is just brilliant. This is an area where it beats the pro cams. The auto focus is also very good.

Where it lacks is in the sometimes 2 dimensional processed look. At other times though, as through the automation settings you get images that really pop, delivering all the resolution of the xdcams, vivid and clean, noise and artifact free. The automation makes good decisions with shutter, iris, gain and focus.

What it's lacking, sensitivity, dynamic range and latitude shows up when locked in manual with high contrast scenes. The contrast compensation feature helps here, but forces you into at least a shutter priority automation mode. The good news is how well it meters exposure and tracks seamlessly as you move the camera. Manual adjustments for gamma, black gamma and knee would be useful for pro users. In spite of all that, indoor and low light is much better than what you expect. Color accuracy is spot on, matches well with xdcam R709 if contrast compensation is enabled. The main thing hurting it here is sensitivity, it's tough maintaining shadow detail in high contrast scenes.

The awb works well at some times, others it misses in tricky light. The manual white balance works perfectly if I aim it at my white tennis shoe.

The sharpening is a bit much, dial that back a number or two fixes that. I'm confident I can work around the usage mistakes, and the image stabilization is like having a magic tripod along. Done right, the images are beautiful and you would never guess they come from a camera so small and indiscreet, exactly what I need.

Keith Moreau September 20th, 2011 03:04 PM

By contrast compensation do you mean the 'Intelligent Contrast" mode? I use it a lot to make sure I can 'get the shot' and then put on a s-curve in post to bring back some dynamic range, what do you do to make it match up better?

Tom Roper September 20th, 2011 03:30 PM

Yes, intelligent contrast mode...sorry.

It matches up okay as is, but to get closer, I used the Vegas Color Corrector Secondary, selected the Computer RGB to Studio RGB preset as a starting point which compresses both ends of the histogram (16 - 235), increased the gamma to flatten the slope of the blacks and give it more gradation to try and bring out any buried detail, lowered the offset to move the whole histogram to the left, and increased the gain to stretch and fill the histogram to the right. Saved it as a new preset.

Edit: It's not possible to put back what wasn't there, so detail lost in blown out whites, or crushed in black can't be recovered. It simply is never going to have it, and along with depth of field, dynamic range and sensitivity, those are the three elements of the big XDCAM that can't be replicated. You really do get what you pay for. The TM900 can make up for some of it by having exposure track the scene, something you'd never do with the XDCAM which would be locked in manual.

Kevin Janisch September 20th, 2011 04:19 PM

Thanks for the thorough writeup Tom! May have one of these guys in hand soon but if I understand you correctly you're saying that you get better images with iA vs manual mode?

Kevin

Tom Roper September 20th, 2011 05:33 PM

I'm sorry Kevin that's not what I'm saying. iA doesn't even permit manual white balance or focus. MNL is the mode I get the best result in, so I am probably adding confusion by talking about automation when what I am really saying, is whenever you let the camera choose the shutter, iris and maybe even focus itself inside the MNL mode. To me, that's still automation whenever shutter, iris or focus are not locked.

In other words, at this early stage, I am still practicing, but locking the iris at F4.0 to F4.8 did not result in the sharpest images for me as I would have expected that to be the lens sweet spot. So the question I have, is when I get these sharp images from when the camera itself is choosing shutter and iris, what settings are they?

And if the camera is adding neutral density in lieu of stopping down the iris as was mentioned earlier, can I replicate that when I stop down manually? Who knows?

But specifically to your question, at this early stage for me, the images seem sharpest when I choose MNL mode and let the camera choose the appropriate shutter and iris and focus, or maybe not focus.The thing to remember, these lenses are not parfocal, so the sharpest lens setting may not be the same iris at infinity as it is at close up. The ideal iris for every focal and zoom length could be mapped into the lens controller, but in full manual mode you can't be sure. That's why I'm not ruling out (in my limited experience with it), that auto focus or auto iris may be sharper in more situations than selecting them manually.

Hopefully that makes some sense.

Edit: "Programmed Automation" comes to mind, where a camera chooses both aperature and shutter. That is the default option in the TM900 MNL mode, which you can override by selecting SHTR for "shutter priority," or IRIS which locks down the IRIS and Shutter. There is no Aperture Priority mode. Choosing IRIS and turning off auto focus essentially locks the camera down into a true, full manual. That's the mode that for me, has not resulted in the sharpest or the best images in every case as I would have expected. Maybe I just need more time with it.

Kevin Janisch September 20th, 2011 05:51 PM

Wow! Thanks Tom for the response, that's very helpful. Excuse my ignorance as I don't have a TM900 quite yet, but what settings are you adjusting in MNL mode then? WB? What more does iA do vs just "Programmed Automation" in MNL? Thanks again.

Kevin

Tom Roper September 20th, 2011 08:15 PM

The MNL gives you access to the scene modes, i.e. sunset, beach, snow, fireworks, spot light, landscape, night etc. MNL also gives you access to shutter, iris, wb, focus. MNL also gives access to adjustments for saturation, sharpness, wb trim and exposure. None of those are adjustable in iA mode.

So there's a lot of selectable automation within the MNL mode, and TOTAL automation is the only choice in iA mode.

For some perspective, in xdcam there is usually no image stabilization with most lenses, the stability comes from putting the camera on your shoulder. Your desired depth of field can be adjusted with the iris ring, and selectable ND filters lets you choose a shutter speed with exposure independent of the iris, so you can have fluidity from a slow shutter, or action from a fast one. The sensitivity of large sensors maintains shadow detail always, which you can fine tune the exact amount with gamma controls. Pros eschew automation. They focus manually, set shutter and iris and ND manually, even though the cams have automation capability. But with little cams, tiny sensors and lenses, they aren't capable of shallow depth of field, objects in foreground and background are always on the same focal plane, giving an inherent 2d look. Acknowledging that limitation is to recognize that automation makes more sense for the little cams than the big ones since you can't control dof anyway.

And what I'm finding with the TM900, is that fully manual control of the kind I'm used to setting on the xdcam has no benefit beyond manual white balance and manual focus. Shutter and iris, might as well just let the camera make the best choice, it seems to anyway.

Tom Hardwick September 21st, 2011 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Roper (Post 1683531)
And if the camera is adding neutral density in lieu of stopping down the iris as was mentioned earlier, can I replicate that when I stop down manually? Who knows?

This 900 is such an interesting camera. I've come up with some surprising results.

When it's used as a stills camera the aperture readout of the iris (in manual) is actually correct. 'Open' is maximum aperture (which is focal length dependent) and as soon as you start to stop down the two aperture blades (opposing Vs) mechanically step towards each other. The aperture readout stops at f/16 but the blades continue to close down to f/22, then f/45 and so on, till the blades overlap and act as a shutter.

It can do this because in the still camera mode the camera doesn't use small apertures, it simply shortens the shutter speed. But you can switch it to manual of course, choose a very slow shutter speed and happily shoot 14mp stills at f/45. It'll quickly demonstrate the image damage diffraction can do.

When the 900 is used as a video camera something quite surprising happens, as the camera wants to shoot at 1/50th sec generally. Because of this it brings the internal ND filters into play and for most of the camcorder's life it's shooting at maximum aperture. This design parameter shows the confidence Panasonic have in their 12x zoom lens and chip block assembly, and the production tolerances must be superbly controlled to shoot all day at f/1.5 and 3.45mm. At first I poo-poo'd a focal length stated to 100th of a mm but now I'm less sceptical. I now believe the tight production tolerances mean that all their cameras come off the production line with this focal length.

So what happens when you shoot movies? Well the camera shoots at maximum aperture and if it gets brighter more and more ND is applied. Its the same in manual or auto - you think you're shooting at f/4.5 (say) but you're not - you're shooting at whatever the maximum aperture is for the focal length you've set. That's f/1.5 at wide stopping smoothly (ramping) down to f/2.8 at full tele.

So the lens 'stops down' (using ND) to f/5.6 and only if it gets brighter still do the aperture blades start to close. You can see that scenes shot at an indicated f/8 are actually shot at f/4, bringing with it the dof that comes with f/4.

Another interesting point. Lots of camcorders are sold with a 20x zoom (say) and these long zooms ramp noticeably. Panasonic's idea of having a 12x optical combined with a non-degrading electronic zoom (using the bigger than necessary chips) mean that it effectively has a 20x zoom that stops ramping after the 12x point is reached. Very clever. Of course the dof characteristics are the same at 69mm as they are at 41.4mm, which seems slightly odd.

tom.

Tom Roper September 21st, 2011 08:00 AM

That is very interesting Tom and if that's how it works, it seems probable that any stopping down of the aperture blades brings with it some diffraction effects. In other words, we know that F2.8 on a big camera is a much larger circle than F2.8 on a small camera, yet diffraction has to do with the wavelengths, which are constant. So diffraction creeps in at smaller F-stop numbers than for the bigger cams.

If we shoot in bright conditions with a shutter priority automation at 1/60th sec for smooth motion, what you're saying is that it can run out of ND and begin stopping down the aperture and introduce diffraction artifacts.

I guess the question then, is at what point this happens? And if as you say, the camera defaults to using the maximum aperture opening in auto, armed with this knowledge then it's probably choosing the same shutter speed I would if given the choice, the slowest shutter speed without diffraction. Translation: May as well just let the camera choose aperture and shutter.

Tom Hardwick September 21st, 2011 08:34 AM

You're right - this 900 uses smaller than ¼" chips, so diffraction losses are a real problem and you shouldn't really use apertures smaller than f/4 - and certainly not at the wide-angle end of the zoom. With this in mind Panasonic introduce NDs that absorb the first two stops, then the next two stops take you to an actual f/3 (effective f/6) at wide angle and f/5,6 (effective f/11) at full tele.

Very clever, but how does a manufacturer make a 13 element 12x zoom accurately enough (at that tiny price point) when it's going to spend much of its life shooting wide open? How do they counteract the unavoidable vignetting at maximum aperture? And what about the added flare levels?

Of course all movies should be shot at 1/50th (or 1/60th in NTSC land) and for proof of this you only have to watch some GoPro footage shot in sunshine. So I'd hope the 900 locks down the 1/50th even in iA, and juggles with NDs and iris blades to suit.

tom.

Kevin Janisch September 21st, 2011 11:46 PM

Hi Tom H.,

Correct me if I'm wrong but I recollect you being an expert on WA and zoom lens adaptors from past forum posts. Directly related to the TM900, the zoom range leaves a little to be desired in comparison to my XHA1. I know that the hybrid zoom is lossless up to 20x. Conventional wisdom is to never use digital zoom...ever, but with newer technology, how would using digital zoom fair out against shooting through a zoom lens adaptor with decent glass, say sub $200 range for TM900? I ask because from what I understand the compression takes place post digital zoom which in theory would give you less resolution loss than say shooting at full optical telephoto and then zooming in in post say in Vegas, Premiere, AE, etc. So would quality be comparable using conservative digital zoom vs throwing more glass in front the TM900?

Kevin

Kevin Janisch September 22nd, 2011 02:23 PM

Well, I did some tests this morning and answered my own question. Albeit not with a TM900 but with an HV40 and a Raynox DCR-2020PRO 2.2x Telephoto Lens. Results are not surprising. Lists from best to worst:

1. HV40 with Telephoto (by far)
2. HV40 with Digital Zoom (much nicer than post zoom than expected)
3. HV40 Stock, Pan + Zoom Post in Vegas

So from my rudimentary tests, get a decent Telephoto if you can. If not, use the digital zoom if you have to get in tight vs just optical and zooming in later in post (if this is your intention). Using the digital zoom captures more detail as this is pre-compression. This is HDV though. Surely AVCHD may be much closer in quality with Digital Zoom and Post Zoom.

Kevin

Tom Hardwick September 22nd, 2011 02:32 PM

Hi Kevin, yup - that's me, the wide-angle converter freak.
The 900 allows you to extend the 12x zoom up to a 20x zoom but only in the movie mode. When you shoot stills it's only a 12x zoom of course.

The beauty of the 20x is that beyond 12x the lens doesn't ramp, so it's still f/2.8 way out at 20x. Of course the dof doesn't change beyond the 12x zoom point, except for the fact that you're 'blowing up' the info on the chips so focus will appear more critical.

I've done no tests on this 12x vs 20x on the 900, but footage I've shot at the 20x position looks a whole lot better than any digital zoom should.

tom.

Kevin Janisch September 22nd, 2011 05:27 PM

Thanks Tom! Any glaring issues at full Telephoto being so wide open? Softness, chromatic abrasions, etc?

Also, what's your opinion of the photos you're getting with the TM900?

Tom Hardwick September 23rd, 2011 02:07 AM

Funnily enough Kevin, I've just finished a write-up on the stills capabilities of the SD900 vs the Canon 10D and 60D for a video mag.

Conclusions

Don't worry good people; we've all got cameras that give quite staggeringly good definition. If we look back just a few years to 2003 we can marvel at the way technology has improved our images while at the same time lightening the load on our pockets. Back then the 10D was causing gasps and the VX2000 was shooting standard definition 4:3 images. Filming test charts will tell us which cameras are marginally better than others, but photography is about stirring emotions, not spatial aliasing, chromatic aberration and JPEG artefacts.

The 10D is available second-hand for about £150 as a body only, and this makes it a remarkably good buy even today. It may have a small rear screen and no movie mode but it’s strong, really strong. So on a picture/pound ratio this camera’s the winner. It will introduce you to the basic delights of DSLR photography for half the price of a modern compact and I can see why the 2003 reviewers were blown away by its capabilities.

With all this in mind I can give the little Panasonic 900 Mini Marvel five stars. This really is David – if not exactly slaying Goliath – then making him step back in open-mouthed awe and admiration. Of course there’s no doubt that the 60D takes better pictures and movies, but look at the cost in terms of weight, size and lost zoom range. The ergonomics of the 900 far outstrip those of the DSLR when they’re both used for shooting movies so if you’re after one camera that does everything and you’re in holiday mood then the 900 is the camera for you. If you really want noticeably better stills and movies then you’ll have to bear the weight and the financial pain of owning the 60D, and all the while accept the fact that it will never ever have such a long, fast zoom.

Peter Phelan September 23rd, 2011 03:22 AM

Hi Tom,
>>Of course there’s no doubt that the 60D takes better pictures and movies<<

Is that really the case? I am looking for a conventional video camera to work alongside my Canon 5D2 and 60D and was considering the TM900. Did your review actually compare the video footage in addition to the stills capability?

Peter

Tom Hardwick September 23rd, 2011 04:20 AM

When I say 'better' I really mean artier. The photographic side of you can shine using a DSLR for movies simply because the big chip and long focal lengths allow you dof control the 900 can only dream about. Of course the 900 is technically better - for filming test charts with diagonal lines it'll win every time, but filmmaking is about creative photography, and the DSLR offers you that in skip loads.

But no - my test was of the stills taking capabilities this time.

tom.

Peter Phelan September 23rd, 2011 05:19 AM

Hi Tom and thanks for the clarification. For the most part I was planning on using the two Canon's but will have various situations when I think the 900 would be a more appropriate tool for shots within a project.

On occasions I actually need massive depth of field for example, so the idea is to sometimes use all three cameras on the one shoot; mixing them up in post as appropriate. Obviously I am keen to have all cameras shoot footage as close as possible to one another in say colour balance and general quality etc for the final product.

Peter

Tom Roper September 23rd, 2011 10:59 AM

My problem with the dslr is that I've seen moire absolutely wreck my video on the 5dmkII. I can't comment on the 60d, not used that. I think I was actually one of the first to complain about it, because if I had known I would not have bought it. It's lovely for stills of course.

Dslr results are going to be lens dependent as well, some work well like the 70-200IS L.

I'll say it again, the image stabilization on the Tm900 is just brilliant.

Peter Phelan September 23rd, 2011 11:21 AM

The new drop in anti moire filter for the 5D2 from Mosaic Engineering seems to have cured that problem. But as always, I think it's advisable to choose the best tools for the job in hand. And use them in situations that take advantage of their strengths, whilst also being aware of any shortcomings.

Peter