DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   New Panasonic GH5 Official (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/533370-new-panasonic-gh5-official.html)

Noa Put February 13th, 2017 02:52 PM

Re: New Panasonic GH5 Official

That dpreview video showed several shots with jittery footage, as if the stabilisation was completely turned off.

John McCully February 13th, 2017 10:13 PM

I downloaded the 305,253 KB 4K DPReview file from YouTube. Right off the bat the 24p stutter as the camera pans across the Seattle skyline was irritating, distracting, most annoying, and then the short (not short enough) documentary on whisky making I found somewhat boring. No doubt there will soon be loads of GH5 footage posted here and there and, as usual, most will be highly manipulated in post to reflect the taste (and the lack thereof) of the uploader. I shall wait patiently until well shot footage directly out of the camera untouched and not re-compressed appears on the scene and most likely it will be footage shot and uploaded by Mark Rosenzweig who has kindly provided such well shot footage using new gear in the past.

I have no doubt the GH5 will be a keeper even as we are rapidly reaching the point where new cams that shoot excellent footage are a dime a dozen (no doubt much to the chagrin of the manufacturers and the retailers).

Whatever, bring on 4K 60p!

Steve Burkett February 13th, 2017 11:48 PM

Neither videos impressed me all that much. Though I'm inclined to feel it's the filmmakers rather than the camera. Whoever thought it wise you do a fast pan with 24p should hang their head in shame. I liked the grading in the 2nd video and some of the shots. The Whiskey one was badly shot but I understand they only got their hands on the camera on the drive down, so some allowances have to be made I suppose. Still it showed off how clean some of the high ISO shots can be. Looking forward to some better quality videos shot with the GH5.

Simon Denny February 14th, 2017 01:07 AM

I pre ordered the GH5 when I learnt the specs etc... for me it looks fantastic in a small package and will give Sony a run on its line. This is the start I reckon just like the 5D was.... and it will change again down the line sometime.

I found some hit and miss GH5 videos online however, most looks good and a great place to start from I reckon.

Bryce Comer February 14th, 2017 08:44 AM

Amazing how many cameras appear to be out there & being used with the beta firmware.

Ken Ross February 14th, 2017 10:03 AM

Unfortunately AF tracking at 1:16 was a fail.

Danilo Del Tufo February 15th, 2017 09:32 AM

Danilo Del Tufo February 16th, 2017 01:41 PM

Noa Put February 16th, 2017 01:58 PM

The color was a bit all over the place in that Desert Tango video.

Colin Rowe February 16th, 2017 03:04 PM

I think it was more a case of the bright sunlight hitting the subjects at different angles, with great effect. But whatever, a very well put together piece

Matt Brady February 17th, 2017 02:25 AM

Bring it on.

The new King is on the horizon. I have ordered 3 of the super sexy beauties. The new features will bring an extra dimension to shooting weddings.

Personally I love the form factor, the 4k (reframing in post), and the most anticipated feature for me is the IBIS. I will be able to use my Voigtlander lenses handheld!!!

I also got a fantastic trade in deal on my gh4's.

The King is dead, long live the King.

Danilo Del Tufo February 17th, 2017 08:13 AM

Philip Lipetz February 17th, 2017 04:10 PM

Steve Bleasdale February 17th, 2017 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Brady (Post 1927882)
Bring it on.

The new King is on the horizon. I have ordered 3 of the super sexy beauties. The new features will bring an extra dimension to shooting weddings.

Personally I love the form factor, the 4k (reframing in post), and the most anticipated feature for me is the IBIS. I will be able to use my Voigtlander lenses handheld!!!

I also got a fantastic trade in deal on my gh4's.

The King is dead, long live the King.

All you need to do now MATT is work on your filming and editing haha. (joke)

Bryce Comer February 17th, 2017 06:21 PM

I never use constant AF but judging by this video, i may start to use it in certain situations. Looks to be greatly improved over the constant AF of the GH4 in video mode.

Noa Put February 18th, 2017 01:31 AM

They should have used the same framerate when comparing the auto-focus, not sure if it makes much difference but I do recall from working with one of camera's a few years back that 50i would give me better autofocus performance then 25p.

Danilo Del Tufo February 18th, 2017 07:23 AM

Danilo Del Tufo February 19th, 2017 04:41 AM

Bryce Comer February 19th, 2017 09:57 AM

Wacharapong Chiowanich February 19th, 2017 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1927925)
They should have used the same framerate when comparing the auto-focus, not sure if it makes much difference but I do recall from working with one of camera's a few years back that 50i would give me better autofocus performance then 25p.

I would make a guess right here the AF in 25p won't be the equal of that in 50p considering the way contrast detection AF works. Maybe better than the hopeless continuos AF on the GH4 but it sure won't be as good as what is shown in the clip above.

Steve Burkett February 21st, 2017 10:37 AM

Actually that auto focus in 60p is pretty good and would make things easier when I'm using the GH5 on a Gimbal. I've tended to adjust focus manually, but this could work quite well also for certain shots and be less likely to disturb the Gimbal's balancing.

I've got some big Weddings in April, so really hoping I get mine early April. As much as I love my GX80 and G80 to a certain degree, it's frustrating to lose certain features whenever I go handheld like vLog, variable shutter rate - editing a piece now where the lights weren't in line with any of the standard shutter settings and I missed the GH4's ability to fine tune it down to eliminate that flicker.

One thing that's slightly annoying is that you're not saving that much if you buy the GH5 and audio adaptor together. I'm not sure if anyone has seen some good deals on both, but really I would have hoped for a bit more than a £25 saving. In fact I've decided to hold off on the adaptor for now and wait to see if the price drops. Also, would have been nice if some companies offered the GH5 with vLog already initialised, though suppose its no hassle to grab the code and apply it myself.

Off to the BVE next week, so hope to at least get my hands on the camera at the Panasonic stand.

Wacharapong Chiowanich February 21st, 2017 07:33 PM

Steve, Saramonic has external audio solutions that can be mounted to the bottom of the camera or on top via the cold shoe. Both have XLR input(s) with 48V phantom power. The downside is they need a separate 9V battery. The model I use is the top mounted CaMixer that has one unbalanced 3.5mm jack and one mini-XLR input (adapter included).

Ron Evans February 21st, 2017 07:38 PM

The advantage of the XLR adapter is it will create 24bit 96kHz audio too for internal recording. I have pre ordered one with the GH5 and the 12-60 F2.8 to F4 lens. Can't wait till the end of March !!!

Andrew Dean February 22nd, 2017 04:33 AM

After a video shoot with the gh5 (that they haven't released yet) I had an hour to muck around with it before i went home, so i shot this here super comprehensive and all scientifical gh4/gh5 comparison. I reckon its the best hillbilly footage we've seen of the gh5 so far.

Noa Put February 22nd, 2017 05:12 AM

The GH5 looks a lot more usable in low light, also surprised at how much more noisy the footage was in 10bit.
Did you manually whitebalance both camera's and did both have the same preset settings?

Andrew Dean February 22nd, 2017 07:15 AM

WB was daylight on both cams. Profile on both was stock "standard". From 8bit to 10bit, the only change was the recording format.

The 10 bit footage caused all kinds of problems with premier and quicktime (lots of crashes in both). I'm hoping its a prerelease issue. The noisiness of the 10 bit was a big surprise, too, but may be a prerelease firmware problem. I spent ages with some of the footage we shot "properly" earlier in the day and I just couldn't find any way that the 10 bit outperformed the 8 bit. But, i'm happy to be proven a dumb hillbilly by a more experienced colorist.

Dan Gunn February 22nd, 2017 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wacharapong Chiowanich (Post 1928030)
Steve, Saramonic has external audio solutions that can be mounted to the bottom of the camera or on top via the cold shoe. Both have XLR input(s) with 48V phantom power. The downside is they need a separate 9V battery. The model I use is the top mounted CaMixer that has one unbalanced 3.5mm jack and one mini-XLR input (adapter included).

Look at the "Juiced Link" products. Solid, flexible, small and a great preamp!

Noa Put February 22nd, 2017 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Dean (Post 1928044)
WB was daylight on both cams. Profile on both was stock "standard".

This was a good test and clearly shows how much the gh5 has improved over the gh4, skintones also look different between both camera's but it's knowxn that panasonic has tweaked the color on their g80/gx80 so it's logical the gh5 would follow.

Dave Blackhurst February 22nd, 2017 04:12 PM

I'll preface my opinion with "I'm not planning on buying one".... so I've got no money or ego invested....

On a 4K 42" "monitor" (cheap Seiki TV), the differences were pretty stunning.... and from what I've seen the GH4 was already a pretty good camera.

More noise in the 10 bit clips vs 8 bit, but overall the GH5 was much sharper and cleaner, way more usable in low light. Darker areas that went to "mush"and mottled blotching in the GH4 clips (something I've seen before in Pannys) stayed crisp, sharp and detailed in the GH5 clips.

Glad to see the skin tones seeming to look more natural, that's always bugged me with Panasonic - my tests with Panasonic cameras have tended to show a weird blueish cast to skin and particularly lips... a bit "unhealthy" look, to my eye... the GH5 looked quite "healthy"!

Hadn't planned to move to this "system", in fact just bought a nice RX10M3 from someone who was... but that "quick and dirty" test was rather compelling! Panasonic has a "winner" on their hands, guess they are going to be the company "pushing the market" for a while! All the other companies will be sucking dust trying to catch up for a while, IMO! Credit where credit is due, GREAT job, Panasonic!

Jon Fairhurst February 23rd, 2017 06:06 PM

The noise on 10-bits could be occurring when feeding an 8-bit monitor. The bits get cut off, rather than dithered and rounded and you get some grit.

It would be interesting to run the same 8-bit and 10-bit image through a strong grading curve, then dither and output 8-bits. That's where the 10-bit source material will earn its dinner.

Danilo Del Tufo February 24th, 2017 04:11 AM

Danilo Del Tufo February 25th, 2017 12:36 PM

Danilo Del Tufo February 27th, 2017 01:08 PM

Brian Rhodes March 1st, 2017 05:12 PM

Danilo Del Tufo March 16th, 2017 11:42 AM

Noa Put March 16th, 2017 12:05 PM

400mb, all intra, no fear, haha, that last one was fun. :)

Danilo Del Tufo March 17th, 2017 09:02 AM

Danilo Del Tufo March 17th, 2017 11:51 AM

Danilo Del Tufo March 20th, 2017 05:19 AM

Steve Burkett March 20th, 2017 09:26 AM

I've been led to believe that Jessops will have stock end of the week and should start shipping pre-orders then. Hopefully should have mine middle of next week. Just when I get back from filming in Ireland. Would liked to have had it before then, but it was a pretty tall order given I leave Friday. Can't wait to be shooting 4K at 50p. plus run my own tests on 10bit. Just been too many conflicting reports on it to draw any proper conclusions from. Not to mention that Cinema5D review they have since taken down.