Show Your Work 2007 - Page 75 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old November 9th, 2007, 03:22 PM   #1111
Major Player

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Yes, the pages do go by pretty fast. Maybe I should have eliminated one of the page turns, or altered the timing of them. I'll get the chance to revisit this spot for next month's Teacher, so maybe I'll tweak it then.

Thanks,
Brian
Old November 9th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #1112
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Sprinkle View Post
I didn't believe it when i saw it on youtube. I figured there was no way you could get that kind of pressure out of those bottles (I had tried it, and it went maybe 3 feet up). That's what i get for watching SD with youtube compression, i guess.
The trick: You need to decrease the diameter of the exit - they do that through those little nozzles. Also, for some reason, it works best with warm soda, not cold soda.
Old November 10th, 2007, 01:41 PM   #1113
Major Player

Trailer for my first paid project...

Well I finished up my first real, (meaning paid), project this week and threw together a preview just for fun....
I posted it over at the motorcycle drag race forum where the target audience hangs out....and the response was good.

So....I thought I'd share it here, with all you experianced guys and gals...

And as always...feedback is welcome and encouraged... :)

2WheelSpeed 2007 Trailer

Bob
Old November 10th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #1114
Major Player

Really funny!!

"Hot Women In Tiaras"! LOL!
Old November 10th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #1115
Major Player

Hi Bob,

Nice job for the first $$$ gig. Here's a few generalized suggestions:

- Assuming you're serious about making money, include both EMAIL address and phone contact along with URL.

- The font type and color could use some improvement; check out effective designs on other posts here, TV ads, other internet sales videos, magazines, etc. Try not to use so much titling that it obscures the video much of the clip.

- As you gain proficiency, add creative edits, camera work, and effects. Develop a shot list - during the shoot, be sure to check off at least 80 percent of the items on your "to-do" list. You can never take enough B roll cutaways (I didn't see much find it's way in the promo). The story telling shots should go wide, medium, close-up, ECU (avoid zooms except in rare situations). Incorporate dutch angles and gliding corkscrews, silouettes, moving foreground and fly-overs, reflection shots, point of views, over the shoulder noddies and pivot/reverse pivots, wrap-arounds, rack focus, effective framing, revers/compass shots (between 2 people talking), staggered shutter speeds, dolly shots, etc. and always be thinking John Cooksey's WALLDO acronym (Wide, Angled, Low, Linking, Depth of field, Opposites).

- Consider ways to enhance the story-telling, integrating the media (content, camera shots, audio/music, lighting/color, editing/pacing, etc).

- Focus on ways to enhance the audience's emotional involvement. Including the racer's sound bites was a good start. Your titling eluded to hot women, but it was unsupported with close-ups, creative shot angles, audio clips, color-corrected video, etc. Ditto with the biker racetrack edits; instead of editing biker racking left, biker racing right, back-forth, look for ways to build emotion and captivate interest by keeping the viewers eyes busy - consider top-bottom split screen, sequencing racers peeling left-right across screen, etc. (be sure to follow rule of thirds, too). Hopefully you got some angled shots in addition to the 2D flat 90 degree angle stuff.

- Find ways to promote sales by enticing promo for the viewers. The message doesn't work as well when you use titling like, "Secrets of the Winners" and then follow-up with them saying "we got lucky..."

BTW, I loved the puppy shot! Even better would be if you had the camera at "position 1" (same low angle as dog). Along this line, be sure to include a shot of kids, assuming you can find footage that will either get a laugh or emotionally touch the viewers/prospective buyers.

Hope this provides food for thought - thanks again for sharing!

Warm Regards, Michael
Old November 10th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #1116
Major Player

Hi Russ,

I seldom frequent "Show Your Work" but always enjoy sharing thoughts. Hopefully my feedback is focused on "how it is shot, its composition, editing, framing, and post production."

- The first few seconds start off well, but soon loses continuity. The rear-lot thug shot should come after the guys knocking on the door. I'm all for flash-forward time-sequence shots, but this doesn't seem to add interest to the story when the two segments are closely bound.

- The lighting was the first thing that caught my eye - could really use a reflector if lighting isn't available. At least go for a wider iris, more gain, or boost in post. Much of the video very, very dark. The silhouette shots near the end (foot chase scene) were okay, but on the first half, we couldn't see the subjects.

- The kidnap shot didn't seem to fit. The kidnappers weren't related to the scenes before/after the shot (clearly different guys). From an shot/editing sequence, this shot greatly needs establishing shots - walking to room, entering, shot from kidnapper's perspective (we have no idea who is being kidnapped), shot from victim's perspective, etc.)

- The rear-view shot going up the stairs could use improvement - what's going on here? Can we find a better angle to tell the story?

- The wide views would probably be improved with a much higher camera angle, looking down somewhat to improve the framing composition (rather than showing skyline). Also, try to vary the shot sequences of this scene - wide, medium, close-up, etc.

- Use linking shots, especially during action sequences. After the thugs shove someone in the car, take a shot inside the car - preferably a point of view toward the thugs.

- Try to avoid repeatly reusing shot sequences. Maybe it's okay once or twice, but that's it.

In summary, I agree with your assessment the content was difficult to work with, so the onus is on you to pull it off with superior camera work and edits. Fortunately, the music helped carry the video.

Thanks for sharing, Michael
Old November 11th, 2007, 01:29 AM   #1117
Trustee

Hey Russ,

I think you should try to differentiate between a story with a soundtrack and a music video. I wasn't sure if the guy with the gun was the lead singer, he mouthed some lyrics at one point. I think if he was lip syncing during all scenes with him in it, you'd have a music vid. Maybe a small drum kit etc. to cut away to, to distinguish it as a music vid. This looked more like a short with a suited soundtrack.

Keep shooting.
Old November 11th, 2007, 07:31 AM   #1118
Major Player

Michael...thanks!

The Tiaras thing is an inside joke....glad to hear it's funny to those not "inside"...

Michael number 2...also thanks! All valid points...

The finished DVD addresses many of those points....

I also race a bike in the series, so I was there for every race and ended up with plenty of footage, from many angles.....(although, between working on the bike and racing it, shooting tape sometimes became a run and gun operation)...

I do struggle with the rule of 3rds though....I know that.

As for being serious about making money...it would be nice, but that's not my goal.
I have a great job that pays me well...
This is really just a hobby for me, one I love, but still a hobby. Any money I make gets invested back into the hobby.

Again, thanks for taking the time to share your opinions..

Bob T.
Old November 11th, 2007, 01:50 PM   #1119
Regular Crew

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

Michael

I see what your saying about varying shots. You mention that the thugs change? they don't they are always the same two thugs. The composition was dark in the running scenes, but I did this intentionally as I like silhouettes against sky (!) Yes I did need more POV shots. However, the idea was to show flash shots, kind of snippets of action. Two people shadow a door, cut to present, two people burst open said door, cut to present, thugs walk upstairs, cut to present...etc. I know it was dark, but did you tell it was a woman during the kidnap and not the same kid tied to the chair?

Ken

That was the main problem - the band wanted a short film making comprising of three music videos, of which this is the ending. Lots of flash scenes. The band didn't want a direct appearance in this video, so they appeared as 'extras' in the street chase. The guy with the gun is not with the band, but it was meant as him telling the kid "if you want to play, you got to pay" the song is the guy with the gun lecturing the kid, so the lip sync towards the end was done to support that, although I agree if he was syncing the entire song it would have been better. That was the initial plan but he was rather nervous (friend of the band)

No professional actors were used in this shoot, it was just me, the band and a few friends. Apart from about a week planning from me it was literally who turned up on the day were in. Not an ideal scenario for a professional looking shoot.

Thanks for the comments guys, they will help the next shoot.

Russ
Old November 12th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #1120
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Holland View Post
Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.
Michael
I see what your saying about varying shots. You mention that the thugs change? they don't they are always the same two thugs. The composition was dark in the running scenes, but I did this intentionally as I like silhouettes against sky (!) Yes I did need more POV shots. However, the idea was to show flash shots, kind of snippets of action. Two people shadow a door, cut to present, two people burst open said door, cut to present, thugs walk upstairs, cut to present...etc. I know it was dark, but did you tell it was a woman during the kidnap and not the same kid tied to the chair?
<CLIP>
Russ
Rehi,

Yes, now that you've mentioned they are one in the same, I can make the connection. Perhaps it's just me who will miss that, however the thugs are otherwise very wide shots and with the dark scenes I didn't make the linkage. Yes, after several viewings and freeze frames, I noticed the woman in the kidnapping - strange, since it wasn't developed in a linear sense. You'll need a real cult following to have the audience maintain interest in catching many of your details - I hope it works out for you.

Michael
Old November 13th, 2007, 12:41 AM   #1121
Major Player

looks awesome.
Old November 13th, 2007, 05:20 AM   #1122
New Boot

Well done, great colors and tracking movement of some decidedly hard to follow subject matter. What software did you use for titling at the beginning?
Old November 13th, 2007, 12:02 PM   #1123
Wrangler

That’s really nice, Oliver. I watched it several times, not only to study shots but because the whole piece has a great feel to it. The segment with the grass…even though it had nothing to do with the bikes it was very cool—especially when I slowed it down. I would have used it, too. :)

Thanks for sharing with us.
Old November 13th, 2007, 12:29 PM   #1124
Major Player

Top notch! I loved it. Your sense of composition is very strong. Every shot was beautiful. You'll do well at whatever you choose to do next!
Old November 14th, 2007, 01:50 PM   #1125
Major Player

HV 20 Horror movie

It's called Ultimate Curse, and the trailer is here:

http://www.createspace.com/240220

Ultimate Curse is the story of an evil force that makes friends mutilate friends, and lovers eat the very flesh of their loved ones.

If you want to buy the whole 93 minute movie (and help me make another one,) you can do so by visting this E-store:

http://www.createspace.com/240220

Thanks!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work