Show Your Work 2007 - Page 76 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old November 14th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #1126
Regular Crew

please help me think of a topic for a short film!

Ok i am taking a digital video in school and next year we are doing a city wide contest type of thing. anyway for the previous year we did a 15 minuite western with a story taken from a shakespere play. we only had two weeks to make up the story and everything and shoot it, and it turned out suprisingly good, the western look i was going for was perfect, the location costumes and everything was great, the acting was the only thing lacking.
anyway for next year i wanna film all throughout the summer so we can get a good 20-30 minuite movie thats alot more well done.
we already have some great locations picked out, one is up in the mountains very far away from any towns or anything man made other than two small cabins. its very beautiful scenery, with a pond mabye 200 ft by 200 ft. very big open medows, and also heavily wooded areas, and also a pretty good sized river. another is a big lake, with a large glacier above it though its a smaller area with occasional tourists. the last place we found is in the mountains too, it is miles of rolling hills and mountains and a huge meadow miles long with trees surroinding it, and it has a large old house probably more than 100 years old in the middle.
there are plenty of other places around where we live in colorado, there are plenty of big lakes, mountains, woods, old mining buildings, houses, ghost towns etc.
i really like films that take place in a different time period, that could be from the 70's or 1000 years ago.
and keep in mind that we are all pretty young, like around 17-21, some of us could play it off as a 13 year old and some could play it off as a 30 year old but nobody too old. and we have like 3 girls. we got like 15 people total 5 that could do it all the time, and the rest would mainly be extras or have small parts.
we want something with a little action, some suspense, and drama, and mabye some comedy. but nothing that take amazing acting, we have mabye 2 or 3 people who are pretty damn good at acting, but thats it.

we already have some ideas, but none that we can agree on yet, and we want some more ideas, we want to know pretty soon so we have plenty of time to write a script, find costumes, locations etc.
so if you have any ideas that would be really great!
Old November 14th, 2007, 04:56 PM   #1127
Regular Crew

oh yeah and for equipment we have a vx1000, vx2100, some cheap handi cams, and some 3ccd handicam type camera, pretty limited lighting, 2 fluid head tripods, and two cheapo tripods. plenty of guns or pretty much any type of weapon from any time period, and a relative that owns a costume shop.
Old November 14th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #1128
Major Player

A quick look at your towns history shows a dark chapter from the past which you could re work, make it very sinister and evil, a good opertunity to add some ideas of your own and base it around the murder trials for example instead of poison change it to something more shocking. Plus its of local interest and might do well.

AVERY MURDER TRIALS

MUSEUM (GLENDURA) SCRAPBOOK

Article: "Franklin C. Avery's Impact on Fort Collins."

1890s

William Avery's death (Franklin's brother) in 1890 was thought to be gastritis, a stomach disorder. But twelve days after his death his wife, Mary, secretly married her lover, Frank Millington, in Hastings, Nebraska. William H. Avery was worth over $100,000. The lovers were acquitted on charges of feeding William enough arsenic which, according to one expert, was enough to kill 50 people. The strongest point in their defense was the fact that the prosecution could not prove that William had not administered the poison to himself, despite a chemist's testimony that 14 year old Pearl, daughter of the deadman, had purchased a box of "Rough on Bats," a substance which is one-third arsenic. Pearl denied she had ever purchased the poison, and the jury took her at her word. The lovers were acquitted.

http://history.fcgov.com/archive/Tim...useum/1890.htm

alternatively you could just go to your relatives costume shop and pick the most interesting costumes and base the story around them.

Andy.
Old November 14th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #1129
Inner Circle

Comedic Suspense

"Delivery on Elm Street"

"Some friends order pizza, but have no cash. Somebody must pay."

I think our short works best when the actors play it straight in this parody of the horror/suspense genre. The comedy comes from the ridiculous premise, and a few well delivered lines - as well as the cellphone gag.

We deliver the ending straight up. Pure comedies rarely have good endings. A suspense film is nothing without its ending.

http://colonelcrush.com/movie/index/00230001
Old November 15th, 2007, 02:35 AM   #1130
Wrangler

Nice job! Very entertaining. I thought the editing and sound were very good, and I like the way you kept the story moving along, all the way to the very end. The acting was ok, but overall a nice short story. [EDIT] I also enjoyed the other shorts on your site.
Old November 15th, 2007, 02:45 AM   #1131
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies so far everyone! Gives me a bit of confidence in a move toward a medium I've never shot:)

The titling at the start was done in 3DS Max 5, many years ago though. I just want to keep logos consistent so have resisted the urge to update it to a more modern look.
Old November 15th, 2007, 12:54 PM   #1132
Regular Crew

My short animation.

Hello there. My short animated film called Tentacle's Heroes is finally online over at Atom Films. Please check it out, although it's the first time I have ever made an animated film, so please don't expect it to look great LOL. You can view it here:

http://www.atomfilms.com/film/tentacles_heroes.jsp

Thanks.
Old November 15th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #1133
Inner Circle

> "The acting was ok."

Agreed. I think everybody had assumed that the acting needed to be over the top to push the comedy. Looking at the finished product, the acting worked best when they played it straight and within the genre. For instance, the "Jesus" line was over the top, but within the genre, so it worked well. The transition from boredom to fear was weaker, since it wasn't authentic, nor cliche - just campy.

Anyway, these were some good lessons learned.
Old November 15th, 2007, 02:33 PM   #1134
Regular Crew

Adventure comedy series pilot

Myspace and FOX have this contest for a chunk of change and a
development deal with FOX for a TV series pilot. We had to submit 5-7
minutes of our pilot to convince them we're the onces for the job.

When I saw this contest, and already had a video shot and cut to submit, I
thought "why the hell not?"

We went and did some pickup shots a year after the initial shoot,
recut what we had, tightened it up, got a score done, and came out
with what I feel is a pretty nice little package!

So please please PLEASE go to the link below and VOTE "Thumbs up" on
my video if you don't want your whole family blown up in a boating
"accident".

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fusea...deoid=21661723

PLEASE MAKE SURE TO ACTUALLY VOTE, AND NOT JUST WATCH, IF YOU CAN!

Thanks!
Nick Harris

PS: I apologize for threatening your families, I feel kinda bad about that. I suppose I could have asked you to vote for my video without threatening a high octane speed boat chase somewhere in the mid-Atlantic, which climaxes with two boats colliding mid air at speeds of no less than 85 mph (i don't know nautical terms for speed, but I'm pretty sure that's like 10,000 knots), and raining down stolen Vatican gold bars once headed for the black market, but now the bottom of the ocean. I apologize for that. It was wrong of
me.
Old November 15th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #1135
Regular Crew

Pretty funny. I liked it!
Old November 15th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #1136
Major Player

i thought it was really funny, entertaining and works perfectly, i especially like the lip synchin. What program did you use?
Old November 15th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #1137
Slash Rules!

Okay, there were a few parts that still bugged me, and I ended up going through the whole thing looking for places to cut. Managed to lose another 2.5 minutes. New vox on the end song, too.

http://www.joshbass.com/alarmclock.wmv
Old November 16th, 2007, 04:36 AM   #1138
New Boot

wow, that was just knockout!
great video & sound work :)
Old November 16th, 2007, 01:05 PM   #1139
Regular Crew

Thanks for the comments.

I used Flash MX to animate it. Then imported the individual animated parts into Premiere Pro 2 and edited it. I don't have a sound studio so we recorded the voices by making a tent out of a duvet and recording the lines under it LOL. It kind of worked okay.

Anyway, thanks for watching :)
Old November 16th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #1140
New Boot

Looking for a Fireplace clip.....

Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not.......

I am trying to find a HQ video clip of a fireplace. I want to turn my 42" LCD TV into a Fireplace :) By burning the video on DVD and playing it I might get what I am after. Anyone know where I can get a clip like this?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work