DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/)
-   -   Sony PXW-X70 announced: Pro XDCAM version of AX100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/524300-sony-pxw-x70-announced-pro-xdcam-version-ax100.html)

Paul Anderegg December 5th, 2014 01:00 PM

Re: Sony PXW-X70 announced: Pro XDCAM version of AX100

I use push to white merely to attain the KELVIN of the light, I then quickly toggle into manual kelvin set, set to whatever push to white said the K was, and I am set to shoot. The PP WB adjustments should be sued to "center" your whiting after you select the correct kelvin for your lighting, but still see your whites a bit off-color. You can push to white 5 times and get the same color temperature reading, but vastly different hues and colors. When you dial the camera manually, you are getting solid and repeatable colors, like an actually broadcast camera. High end broadcast gear changes kelvin, and nothing else when you push to white.

Here are my current Cinematone 1 PP settings that I got off the scope and with a bit of "eyeball" calibration as well. You can try them out to see how you like them. NO color depth adjustments made on this. These were adjusted with the camera seeing and set to 3300k on a 3200k incandescent light source.

Color phase: +3
Memory 1: 12, 4, 0/ +13, +15
Memory 2: 13, 7, 0/ +7, 0

Try using those color revisions as a base, and simply point them at a colorful scene and ramp them up and down to see changes visually. It is sort of like an eyeglass test at a optometrist....better, or worse, better or worse. :-)

Paul

Terence Morris December 5th, 2014 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Young (Post 1869834)
Occasionally these adapters turn up on eBay. The model number is a Fujinon WCV-82SC. One went for $10.00 last week! These cost in the high hundreds when they came out. Great value if you can score one.

Christopher: Thanks for the heads-up - I have been looking for a suitable low-cost WA adaptor for the X70. Anyway, this looks good and I took the plunge (I trust your judgement) and picked one up today on ebay for $79. One question: I can't find much on the specs, but is there a filter screw at the front end, if so, what size is that? Also, regarding the need for the "empty" filter ring, I was considering getting this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/964659-REG/cokin_r8282_82mm_extension_ring.html
That would seem to do that job, together with a 62-82mm step-up, as you say.

-Terence

Mike Griffiths December 6th, 2014 12:30 AM

So it was you Terence!!!, got there 2 minutes before me for the W/A on Adorama, well done!

Mike Griffiths December 6th, 2014 12:37 AM

Just went onto the Adorama site and bought one for £74!! but shipping is $60 and I'll have to pay duty when it arrives in Thailand

Terence Morris December 6th, 2014 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Griffiths (Post 1869883)
So it was you Terence!!!, got there 2 minutes before me for the W/A on Adorama, well done!

Sorry, Mike. Nothing personal!

Mike Griffiths December 6th, 2014 01:08 AM

It was $74 not £74, being a Brit I often do that

Christopher Young December 6th, 2014 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terence Morris (Post 1869882)
- I have been looking for a suitable low-cost WA adaptor for the X70.
-Terence

So it was you who grabbed the Adorama one. Good move :) I wondered if that would go fairly quickly. Look I just checked out that Cokin 82-82 extension ring. A bit hard to tell looking at the picture but I feel pretty sure that would do the job along with the 62-82mm step up. I must admit I didn't know that extension rings as such existed, and I have a big collection of Cokin filters, adapters and mount etc for the stills stuff, also use them on video sometimes. The small variable ND grads should work quite well on the X70.

Re a filter screw on the front of the adapter? Yes there is one and it is also 82mm as were many of the Fuji and Canon B4 lenses front filter mounts. I guess they stuck with 82mm as it was almost the defacto filter size on many 13 to 20 x ENG lenses. I am currently using one of the 82mm UVs off one of my old B4 lens on the adapter until I can get around to picking up another one.

I trust your belief in my judgement is upheld once you receive and review your adapter. Fingers crossed here. I think you will enjoy using it :)

Geez I must get Mr. Hurd to allow me to change my name to Chris not Christopher. I only got called that by my mother if I had done something wrong :(

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Paul Anderegg December 6th, 2014 07:08 AM

It can also be noted that the front lens assembly of the CX900/AX100/X70 is pretty strong. With the weight of these large glass converters, I have never had any binding, flexing, or any other indication that the weight is affecting the mechanicals of the front barrel assembly.

Paul

Terence Morris December 6th, 2014 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Young (Post 1869895)
So it was you who grabbed the Adorama one. Good move :)
Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Hi Chris - Yes, that was a lucky find. The used price is quite variable. I had been toying with getting a used Zunow WA adapter on B&H. It was reviewed in another X70 thread and got a general thumbs-down, but I thought it marginally acceptable. I'm pretty sure this Fujinon will be much better and it does appear similar to the EXII that Paul uses to good effect.

I had no idea about those Cokin extenders either. Anyway, they are cheap enough to try out, but I think it should do the job. I appreciate you taking a look at that and for all your advice.

-Terence

Christopher Young December 6th, 2014 09:41 PM

No probs as we say down here. As Paul says the front end of the X70 is a pretty tuff barrel and this Fuji adapter seems to give it no problems. It's interesting to note that the Sony VCL-HG0872, which is a .8 x adapter that requires a 62-72 step up feels almost twice the weight and is 25% wider at the front than the rear. Have one of those lying around since the Z1 days. Maybe I will check it out but so far am totally happy with the Fujinon.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

John Nantz December 6th, 2014 09:48 PM

Don't know if it would help any, but there is a Fujinon WCV-82SC for sale, but as part of a package, Ugh, I know.

It's an estate sale and the seller says they won't break it up but the ad is 8 days old. It's a craigslist Palm Springs ad at
Older Professional Field Production Package (SEE LIST)

Kevin Balling December 8th, 2014 09:41 AM

Thanks to everyone who has shed light on the X70. I am getting close, but will wait to see what the JVC GY HM200 looks like. Anyway, I have a couple of questions for those of you who have used it.
--Is there any Tele Macro capability?
--How is the Focus Assist feature, and does the viewfinder turn monochrome when it is activated? My aging eyes are needing this more all the time.
--I am very leery of using a camera that I can't use the LCD and Viewfinder simultaneously. I could get used to this but he additional problem of the LCD turning off if the the viewfinder senses movement is troubling to me. Has anyone found this to be a concern?
Thanks so much.

David Johns December 8th, 2014 01:44 PM

>>>
I am very leery of using a camera that I can't use the LCD and Viewfinder simultaneously. I could get used to this but he additional problem of the LCD turning off if the the viewfinder senses movement is troubling to me. Has anyone found this to be a concern?
<<<

Yes, I found it to be a right pain in the *****, very annoying indeed. Sometimes I was standing behind the camera looking at the screen and the VF would detect me there and switch the screen off!

This was, however, on the same troublesome prototype that had the audio problem so it may have been fixed on production units.

Regards
David

Mike Griffiths December 8th, 2014 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Balling (Post 1870057)
Thanks to everyone who has shed light on the X70. I am getting close, but will wait to see what the JVC GY HM200 looks like. Anyway, I have a couple of questions for those of you who have used it.
--Is there any Tele Macro capability?
--How is the Focus Assist feature, and does the viewfinder turn monochrome when it is activated? My aging eyes are needing this more all the time.
--I am very leery of using a camera that I can't use the LCD and Viewfinder simultaneously. I could get used to this but he additional problem of the LCD turning off if the the viewfinder senses movement is troubling to me. Has anyone found this to be a concern?
Thanks so much.

Focus assist can be set to 4X and 8X or 4X only the viewfinder stays in colour, LCD does not turn off when the viewfinder is opened but does when you put your eye close to it, then you can't see the LCD anyway! no problem

Terence Morris December 9th, 2014 10:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Chris - The WA adapter arrived and looks in excellent nick. Just the bare bones, no front lens cap or lens bag. The EXII has a front filter thread, which I wish this had. But very happy.

Christopher Young December 10th, 2014 06:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Good one Terence!

But I must admit to being somewhat confused by the statement that you say there is NO front filter thread? Are you sure? Have a look at the pic of the one I have, excuse the shaky phone pic, but you can clearly see the front filter thread and it takes an 82mm screw in. Unless JVC / Fujinon changed the spec at some time? How odd?

Notwithstanding that I think you will get good mileage out of it. Rummage around old photo shops and I'm sure you will find a rear 62mm cap. I have to do this myself. Any decent broadcast dealer is likely to be able to help you out with an 82mm front cap new or used. New you would pay the same for a cap as you did for the lens! Look for an 82mm peanut butter lid :)

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Terence Morris December 10th, 2014 10:41 AM

You are right, Chris - it *does* have filter thread. This is a classic case of seeing what you believe to be true. I had previously checked the specs on an obsolete B&H ad that said "Filter size: None". When it arrived I never looked or noticed (not with these old peepers anyway). Great - I'll probably slap on a UV filter for protection - until I find a suitable lid!

Mike Griffiths December 10th, 2014 05:51 PM

UGH, Adorama did not have two Fujinon converters, just the on that Terence bought! they've cancelled my order

Paul Anderegg December 10th, 2014 06:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Aint the EXII pretty on my old CX900? :-)

Terence Morris December 10th, 2014 07:21 PM

Very nice, Paul. What's the external monitor you're using?

-Terence

Paul Anderegg December 10th, 2014 07:54 PM

That is a cheap LED with CTO.

Paul

Terence Morris December 10th, 2014 08:19 PM

Of course...

Paul Anderegg December 10th, 2014 08:46 PM

Terence what are the front filter thread size?

Paul

Terence Morris December 10th, 2014 09:23 PM

It is 82mm at the front as well as at the back, as the sides of the lens appear parallel. But I double checked with my callipers just to make sure. I think I'll get one of those Bower polarizing filters you had in your video.

-Terence

Gerry Fraiberg December 11th, 2014 12:18 PM

Happy to say my 10 year-old Manfrotto LANC remote control pan bar is now working flawlessly with the PXW-X70. I just received a Sony Multi Adapter Cable (SOVMCAVM1) and Manfrotto Adapter Cable LANC/AV-R Sony (MA522AV) from B&H. Much easier to run than using the remote control in your left hand and a standard pan arm in your right. These two cables are needed to make it work. The order arrived in Canada two days after I placed it - shipped at Ground price. Great service from B&H!

Terence Morris December 12th, 2014 09:07 PM

Does anyone know if the X70 can be jam sync'd to something like a Sound Devices 702T so that it can use free run timecode untethered? I think it would need to have an onboard time code clock.

-Terence

David Dixon December 18th, 2014 07:52 PM

Good news - Catalyst Browse has been updated to 1.1.0.86, and now includes batch Transcoding of multiple files...

This is not on Sony's web site yet and you can only find it through the app. It's a bit hidden - open Catalyst, at the very top right click Options, then in the box that comes up click About, then in the next box click Check for Updates. Once it finds it you can download, install, and relaunch. The new version is 1.1.0.86 and does indeed give access to the Transcode option even when multiple files are selected. In my haste I did not read the entire list of features/fixes.

Very glad to see this!

Mike Griffiths December 18th, 2014 08:39 PM

thanks David,
Just to say I opened Browse and up came a prompt saying new version available

Ron Evans December 18th, 2014 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Griffiths (Post 1871385)
thanks David,
Just to say I opened Browse and up came a prompt saying new version available

Same here. I like the fact that it has now caught up with the past and will link files that are part of a single AVCHD clip !!!!!

Ron Evans

Paul Anderegg December 19th, 2014 05:17 AM

NOT A SOLUTION.

The new version, which have just wasted an hour getting around, will only transcode multiclip mode to AVCHD. It WILL NOT transcode to ProRes, or XAVC on my Mac, but it will transcode to DPX, which will not work in FCP X. So I shot 30 clips on a story, and then another half hour transcoding to DPX to figure that out, now have to ingest via SDI.

What is the point of transcoding to a format you can shoot in camera if it takes 3 minutes per minute of footage to transcode? Pointless.

Paul

Mike Griffiths December 19th, 2014 09:18 AM

Like you I can't seem to do anything useful with this. Back to Prepare. What on earth are the developers in Sony doing? do they live on another planet?

Mike Griffiths December 19th, 2014 09:32 AM

OK so I'm stupid but when I select several file to transcode, the transcode button is greyed out. Back to square one. What am I doing wrong?

Paul Anderegg December 19th, 2014 10:47 AM

You are operating a camera with a codec that will not be editable until so much time passes that the cost of the camera drops several hundred dollars, and is replaced with a NEWER UNIT WITH BETTER HARDWARE FEATURES. :-)

Paul

Richard D. George December 19th, 2014 11:07 AM

Catalyst Prepare is $199 at the Sony site but I was able to purchase it for about $50 less from B&H. I don't have an X70 (yet) but do have a new Sony A7s.

Paul Anderegg December 19th, 2014 11:20 AM

Just confirmed I can only transcode to AVCHD or DPX on my PC as well. DPX doesn't work in Sony Vegas either, and this is not a multiclip issue, Catalyst Browse refuses to transcode even a single file to anything other than AVCHD or DPX. This free Sony software appears to be a "Whoops, I accidentally shot this on a format that is not editable, and need to transcode to the other format that I should have selected in my camera menu" solution. They should just call this "SD Card Footage Repair" Browse.

This means there is still no way to get my 10 bit 4:2:2 50Mbps video out of my camera........how annoying.

Paul

Mike Buckhout December 19th, 2014 12:22 PM

Why not use Premiere Pro? It will run with XAVC right out of the camera, or transcode to whatever you like. Get a free demo or sign up for a Creative Cloud subscription. Cheaper than an external ProRes recorder...

Ron Evans December 19th, 2014 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg (Post 1871436)
Just confirmed I can only transcode to AVCHD or DPX on my PC as well. DPX doesn't work in Sony Vegas either, and this is not a multiclip issue, Catalyst Browse refuses to transcode even a single file to anything other than AVCHD or DPX. This free Sony software appears to be a "Whoops, I accidentally shot this on a format that is not editable, and need to transcode to the other format that I should have selected in my camera menu" solution. They should just call this "SD Card Footage Repair" Browse.

This means there is still no way to get my 10 bit 4:2:2 50Mbps video out of my camera........how annoying.

Paul

X70 10bit 4:2:2 MXF files will edit fine in Edius 7.4 which will also show DPX too ( still image sequence !!!). I have Vegas 12, as you say nothing !! CS6 will show DPX. Pretty useless piece of software. Only use is to get the files into the computer for me. At least my edit software will work with them. Premiere Pro CC I believe will also work.

Ron Evans

David Dixon December 19th, 2014 06:10 PM

I don't know what to say - mine works.

In the Browse View in Catalyst Browse I can select multiple clips and transcode them to ProRes.
Select them, click the File dropdown at lower right.
Choose Transcode to...
Set Format to ProRes
Choose preset you want.

Ron Evans December 19th, 2014 06:17 PM

My only choices are DPX and XAVC no ProRes I am on Windows though. Trans coding to XAVC Intra will then work in Vegas 12.

Ron Evans

David Dixon December 19th, 2014 06:29 PM

I'm on Mac - latest version of Browse (1.1.0.86 from earlier this week) and latest OSX.