Saved by the Rod! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old September 1st, 2014, 05:28 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: Saved by the Rod!

Chris,

I don't understand.
If I unscrew the bottom plastic plate and look into the tube I see it's already drilled. So why can't I cut here a part of it? See attached picture. and after cutting screw bottom plastic plate back in?

Looks so easy this way?
Attached Thumbnails
Saved by the Rod!-sam_4904.jpg  
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 07:14 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Hi Tom

You are looking at the wrong end!! The mod is done on the other end!!! Where the flexi shaft is ..all we are doing is reducing the length of the plastic fitting between the top tube (smallest diameter) and the flexi shaft that goes into the fitting under your camera

so......looking at the TOP of the rod completely opposite to your pic......

(1) Unscrew the flexi-joint so you have just the plastic fitting attached to the rod.
(2) look at the top few millimetres of the rod and you will see a pin securing it to the top tube. Use a nail and a light hammer to simply drive it out (the hole goes right thru)
(3) Pull out the plastic fitting and you will see the top is the fat bit and the end piece is the thinner piece that went inside the top tube.
(4) Drill a 5mm hole right thru from top to bottom ...it's already drilled 3/4 way so just continue the hole so it exits out the skinny bit at the bottom.
(5) Use a 1/4"BSW tap (cheap at the hardware store) and cut a thread starting at the thin end where your drill bit came out and turn the tap in until a thread has been cut the length of the thin section only.
(6) Use a hacksaw to cut off just the thin section and wack it back into the top tube and because you have a thread going thru the middle now ..screw the flexi-joint into that and discard the fat section of plastic

Ok once that is done your rod is now 3" shorter (because we have cut away the fat part of the black plastic fitting) Then I have left the bottom end of the rod exactly as your pic shows and used my new fitting shown in my pic in post #6

The top of the rod should look like the pic here

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Saved by the Rod!-dsc_0042.jpg  
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 09:47 AM   #33
Major Player

step 1 I finally found what you mean.
but about step 2 I doubt: in the picture I have put a yellow and blue circle. Which color do you mean with:

a pin securing it to the top tube ?

I already tried the blue option but couldn't drive it out. I hope you mean the yellow circle. (didn't tried that one)

Sorry, Chris.
Attached Thumbnails
Saved by the Rod!-sam_4905.jpg  
Old September 1st, 2014, 06:03 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Hi Tom

Don't touch the bottom of the rod (blue circle) you only need to tap the pin out where you have marked the yellow circle ... just find a thin nail and gently tap the pin and it will push out so you can pull the black plastic bit from the top tube.

Chris
Old September 2nd, 2014, 12:41 PM   #35
Major Player

chris,

I don't know how you did it but this didn't worked out for me.
I did it my way. Just cut a part of the rod and the spring. (first removed the spring out of the rod)

For me this just easier, . Just tested it and it works! Still a bit too long. Will cut later more of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Saved by the Rod!-sam_4910.jpg  
Old September 2nd, 2014, 06:32 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Hi Tom

I did that the first time (I have two of these rods) and the biggest issue is that if you cut the spring what you do is increase it's tension and make it less flexible. I found with shorter springs I simply didn't have enough travel to use the rod successfully so I found keeping the length was better. May I suggest that you look around locally (with a sample spring in hand) and try to replace both springs with ones that have a slightly thinner diameter wire ?? That will bring back the flexibility to the rod. Otherwise it will be way to stiff if you need to tilt down the camera

Chris
Old November 4th, 2014, 02:57 PM   #37
Major Player

have posted a picture of me in action with the rod. Glad I bought it. Thanks Chris!
Attached Thumbnails
Saved by the Rod!-vake-camera.jpg  
Old November 4th, 2014, 03:08 PM   #38
Inner Circle

I want my camera back! :) That's quite a set up you got there Tom, it looks like you also need to shorten the loupe?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 04:25 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Great Tom

It makes a huge difference when you especially have a heavy lens up front!! My 18-35 Sigma F1.8 is a brute at almost 1kg so I really need the support with that one especially for long periods!

Absolutely yes..shorten your loupe tube! It makes a huge difference as the camera will sit better on your shoulder as the tube is shorter. If you look at yourself in a mirror with the normal length you will see that the pad sits too far forward and with the shorter tube the pad sits on your shoulder where it should sit!

Don't worry, Noa is happy with his GH4!!

Chris

Last edited by Chris Harding; November 4th, 2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old November 5th, 2014, 12:46 AM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I want my camera back! :) That's quite a set up you got there Tom, it looks like you also need to shorten the loupe?

The rod is from 2 "sticks" I removed 1 stick. With the manfrotto simply handles I can switch position with my hands. Without the rod is not possible, way too heavy!
Old November 14th, 2014, 09:49 AM   #41
Trustee

It looks like Tom is protecting his lens from nuclear explosions and major sun flares.! That camera is now as big as the rover ESA just landed on a comet! In fact, he could mount solar panels on those barn doors and power the camera.

Chris, Thank you for all of the time and effort you put into sharing your experience with all of us on this forum. This tread is just one of many examples of what you do here!

Steve
Old November 14th, 2014, 06:57 PM   #42
Inner Circle

Hi Steve

My big problem is that I still don't listen!! Yeah I just HAD to also get matte boxes and the camera was so darn front heavy I was expecting to pull a muscle in my back! I sold off the matte boxes quite fast. I would think that the boxes combined with a decent lens would more than equal the weight of the camera!

Chris
Old February 24th, 2015, 01:31 PM   #43
Major Player

can I use this rod for using a steadycam?
Can I put the rod into a steadycam? After filming carnival and walked all the time the footage is not realy steady.

Look @ my trailer here:

@ 2min06 sec you see what I mean when filming and walking. I think a steadycam would be usefull for this.
But a steadycam without an "arm" will be too heavy. Was walking around for about 3 hours!

I have no experience with a steadycam.

@Chris, my back was still ok after this filming. Can't thank you enough for this.
Old February 24th, 2015, 05:37 PM   #44
Inner Circle

Hi Tom

Nice job there!! Yes you are correct in saying that the support rod will not work like a stedicam ! It's perfect when you are in one place but will NOT absorb any shock movements as you walk or run. You need a stedicam for moving shots. It's OK if you move very slowly but as you walk with the rod you will find it tends to move left and right creating bumps in the footage. It certainly does help a LOT by stopping your arms getting tired!!!

Chris
Old February 25th, 2015, 12:31 AM   #45
Major Player

Hey Chris, thx for the answer but still don't know if I can put the the rod into a steadycam?
Could I put the flexible joint from the rod into the bottom of the grip of a steadycam?

This could save me a lot of money.
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)