Wide Angle Adapter - Page 27 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old October 5th, 2006, 05:43 PM   #391
Tourist

Sony VCL-DH0758 Wide Angle Conversion Lens for DSCH1, H2 and H5 Digital Cameras

Hi
Did anyone try this one on VX2100? Looks like it is not designed for this camcoder. Are there any distorsions? This one is about half the price of the VCL-HG0758 which is advised by Sony for this device, that is why I am considering buying it.

thanks

Last edited by Christopher Gut; October 5th, 2006 at 05:44 PM. Reason: language error
Christopher Gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 11:44 PM   #392
Regular Crew

VCL-HG0758 58mm High Grade 0.7X Wide Angle Lens question

i AM thinking of adding this for my vx2100 if i keep it.

Can anyone out there that uses it tell me from first hand experience about how it affects the image quality? I know the more glass you shoot through the image is degraded a little....how much with the use of this WA adapter?

WOuld it affect the low light capabilites? I know on DSLR's sometimes you add a zoom lens and you lose a stop or two of aperture.

So do you lose any sharpness using this adapter also?

Or is the degradation in the image quality negligible?

Same questions on the zoom adapter VCL-HG1758 58mm High Grade 1.7X Telephoto Lens?

thanks
Jerry
Jerry Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 11:45 PM   #393
Regular Crew

oh
and do these adapters have threads and can a protective filter be placed on them?

Also is the WA adapter set or will it telescope any? and what is the 35mm equivalent of the WA adapter.

One othe accessory question LSF-S58 Handycam® Lens Hood...is this the same hood that came with the 2100? if not does it attach to the hood that came with it or would you need to take that hood off to use this accessory hood?
thanks
Jerry
Jerry Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 03:28 PM   #394
Tourist

i also wanna know

hi ,
what does these wide lens adaptors do ?

do they improve the DOF ?

zoom ?

picture quality ?

bye
Furqan Dogar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 12:57 PM   #395
Regular Crew

wide angle lense?

ive had a mx3000 and it was pretty good, the only thing is that somehow i got alot of dust in the lense. anyway im looking to get a new wide angle, i dont want to spend alot of money, and i want it to be about just as wide as the mx3000. anyone got some advice?
Scot Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 02:03 AM   #396
Regular Crew

anyone? i really need some help soon
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:19 AM   #397
Inner Circle

Have you had a look at the Raynox site? It's quite fun to see their demos of what widies will do for you.

http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/dcr/egindex.htm
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 05:58 AM   #398
New Boot

Century optics 0.65 wide (Faulty???)

I've bought a Century optics 0.65 wide angle for the VX2100... On the instructions it states that the 2 yellow dots must line up, however when I hired one of these lenses before I seem to remember that the lower yellow dot wouldn't go past the upper yellow dot (to the left)... The one that I've purchased rotates both ways???... I also noted that this one is hard to attach to the camera and the first rotation only goes about 20 degrees and not the 45 that it states in the instructions. Any ideas??? Is it faulty? It's a bayonet fitting...

Purchased online from BH and sent to Australia, so it's not going to be easy to return.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by Mark Fitzsimmons; November 28th, 2007 at 06:32 AM.
Mark Fitzsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 10:46 AM   #399
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fitzsimmons View Post
I've bought a Century optics 0.65 wide angle for the VX2100... On the instructions it states that the 2 yellow dots must line up, however when I hired one of these lenses before I seem to remember that the lower yellow dot wouldn't go past the upper yellow dot (to the left)... The one that I've purchased rotates both ways???... I also noted that this one is hard to attach to the camera and the first rotation only goes about 20 degrees and not the 45 that it states in the instructions. Any ideas??? Is it faulty? It's a bayonet fitting...

Purchased online from BH and sent to Australia, so it's not going to be easy to return.

Thanks in advance...
Mark,

I have contacted my service department and they will get me an answer soon. The lock ring going both ways is not a major concern as that is normal with that attachment. It is possible that the timing is off on the lock ring at which point I may be able to get my service guys to help you over the phone. As far as it only going 20 degrees, both rings should rotate a few degrees in the direction you lock it on.

I will get you more info as I get it.

Thanks,
Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #400

Quote:

Thanks in advance...
Mark,

My service department has let me know that you likely have an older design of the .65x which the lock ring does not function properly on some non US versions of the sony cameras. We made a kit that works for these cameras but it requires some technical adjustment that may be too dificult for you unless you have some repair background. I suggest you see one of our agents in your country to see if they can adjust it.
Otherwise, you may send it to us and we will fix it under warranty if you purchased it in the last year. We would pay for the shipping on the return but not getting it here to the US. We can also send you the repair kit but again you need to be fairly technically inclined to fix it.

Below is a link to our distributors in Australia.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/dealers/int.asp

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Old November 29th, 2007, 12:45 AM   #401
New Boot

Ryan
What great service! Thank you... Please see my other post with reference to this project... VX2100 (Used on Jetranger Helicopter).

I purchased the lens from BH last week (online)... I just received it last Monday and my VX2100e (Pal Version) in-store from them last June...

Is it possible to please send me the repair kit to have it fixed locally? I can then take the equipment to John Barry group or Lemac (local dealer/repairer?) and they fix everything up on warranty??? Are they able to do this on your behalf?

Many thanks...

Kind regards,
Mark Fitzsimmons
Blue Sky Helicopters
Sydney - Australia

Last edited by Mark Fitzsimmons; November 29th, 2007 at 03:16 AM.
Mark Fitzsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 01:55 AM   #402
Regular Crew

vx2100 wide angle questions.

hi, im looking for a new wide angle lense, i had an mx3000 and it was ok, the image quality i got wasnt that great though, so im now looking at century .55x wide angle adapter, and the century .65x. the .55x is a wider view if im right, so why is it cheaper than the .65?
im looking for a wide angle with a pretty slight fisheye effect, like just enough so you can tell its wide angle. but quality is most important to me. so with the .55x will it be lower quality than the .65? it is century so im assuming its going to be nice nomatter what.
can someone help me out?
Old November 30th, 2007, 02:24 AM   #403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot Anderson View Post
hi, im looking for a new wide angle lense, i had an mx3000 and it was ok, the image quality i got wasnt that great though, so im now looking at century .55x wide angle adapter, and the century .65x. the .55x is a wider view if im right, so why is it cheaper than the .65?
im looking for a wide angle with a pretty slight fisheye effect, like just enough so you can tell its wide angle. but quality is most important to me. so with the .55x will it be lower quality than the .65? it is century so im assuming its going to be nice nomatter what.
can someone help me out?
Scott,

The Century .55x is a single element wide angle adapter. This means that you cannot fully zoom the camera in with the attachment in place. You can only zoom from full wide to about half telephoto. The 58mm (0DS-55WA-58) version of this lens has a reversible front element so you can unscrew it and make it a fisheye in about 10 seconds. Pretty cool if you ask me. This piece sells for around $300 at most stores. Linked below.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm...D=1070&IID=883

The Century .65x is a multi element zoom through converter so this means that you gain full zooming through the range. This piece costs more because there is more glass in it.

The quality difference will be almost unnoticeable. The fisheye effect on the .55x when not in wide angle mode will create a lower quality fisheye than if you bought our .3x fisheye.

Ryan Avery
Regional Sales Representative
Schneider Optics
Old November 30th, 2007, 02:27 AM   #404

Quote:
Ryan
What great service! Thank you... Please see my other post with reference to this project... VX2100 (Used on Jetranger Helicopter).

I purchased the lens from BH last week (online)... I just received it last Monday and my VX2100e (Pal Version) in-store from them last June...

Is it possible to please send me the repair kit to have it fixed locally? I can then take the equipment to John Barry group or Lemac (local dealer/repairer?) and they fix everything up on warranty??? Are they able to do this on your behalf?

Many thanks...

Kind regards,
Mark Fitzsimmons
Blue Sky Helicopters
Sydney - Australia
John Barry cannot do warranty work on our behalf as far as I am aware. However, they might be willing to do this for you as a favor or for a small fee. Please email me your address and all other pertinent info and I will mail you a conversion kit.

Thanks,
Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Old November 30th, 2007, 11:08 AM   #405
Wrangler

What you will find with the .65 is that it will noticably soften the image and create some barrel distortion.

When I discovered this, I contacted Century and they had me ship it to them. The result was a statement that "it is performing up to specification." I had to pay them for the testing and postage before they'd ship it back to me.

I still feel that for the price, it doesn't perform any better than the much less expensive Canon that I exhchanged with B&H because it too softened the image and had some barrel distortion.

I suggest you save a bunch of money and try the Canon first. It even comes with a case!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion