Picture Profile Recipes - Page 33 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 25th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #481
Regular Crew

Luis,

I suggest you light and shoot a color test, then evaluate the results in FCP using the vectorscope. I lit & shot a simple Macbeth color chart and found these settings gave me problems in the reds (too orange). I then tried these settings and found the results to be much more accurate. I've the FCP video analysis tools combined with a decent monitor calibrated to rec. 709.

Nothing beats shooting a bunch of tests to understand what the STD and CINE curves provide.
Old June 26th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #482
Regular Crew

anyone know the exact color settings pp recommended by the BBC? Thanks
Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #483
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docea Marius View Post
you should IM Alister Chapman. he might know.
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 03:53 PM   #484
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docea Marius View Post
The BBC white paper is at BBC - R&D - Publications - WHP034 - Addendum 27 with a link to the pdf. However, the picture profile settings do not include any recommendation for colour beyond 'roll your own matrix'.
Nick Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 02:15 AM   #485
Regular Crew

PP1 example ref Jims posting #11.

another example of Jims PP1 i posting #11
(file 126 mb so please be patient). This is the setting I personally prefer
Idar Lettrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 07:08 AM   #486
Regular Crew

color and a good fishing area, looks great :-) ,I always use the filter 486 mounted on the EX1.I did some tests with PP, used in interior settings STD4 with the BBC and outside PP BILL (TC2) CINE3
Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #487
Major Player

Indoor Settings

I have scanned through many of these pages, and hoping someone can save me some time trying to find what I am looking for.

I am looking for a good PP setting to use indoors, with low light. Nothing but standard lens.
I will probably use Doug Jensens from Vortex unless you guys suggest another profile.
Old July 27th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #488
Regular Crew

Denny, this is a good thread to check out...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...tings-ex1.html
Danny Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #489
Regular Crew

As a photographer, we shoot our images RAW, capturing all the data as its shot and later we grade or change how it looks, crushing blacks or blowing out highlights, to get a look we want. We do however save the RAW as shot as an "original master".

So my question here is this; do Picture Profiles change the data the EX1 records (ie Destructive), leaving some aspects like shadow detail or highlights lost forever or is it just XML data file (non-destructive) that simply changes how it looks.

thanks in advance

Greg Kiger
St Louis
Greg Kiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 01:22 AM   #490
Trustee

This is the million dollar question. I have seen so many threads (Canon & Sony) about colour correction, or profiles in-camera. Yes, you are right, these are destructive, but can help you create a look which can be played back instantly. The downside is that you can spend hours trying to restore shadow, highlight, white balance or colour saturation to footage which has been shot with the wrong profile.

I prefer to shoot a flat image, i.e. nothing applied, which is the nearest video can get to shooting RAW. Then use my NLE to apply colour corrections and curves etc. I use a Matrox RTX2 card which allows you to save all the adjustments as a preset, this means I can just drop the preset onto my clip and it is applied instantly. Of course you can make tweaks to any of the settings.

Other people will have different views on the best way of working, but my method works well for me.
Old September 5th, 2009, 09:48 AM   #491
Major Player

Vincent, I might have missed it earlier in the thread, but what profiles do you use to create your "flat" footage? I've been struggling with this a lot lately and would love to use this approach. Unfortunately, I often have to hand off my raw footage to another editor which gives me NO chance to do any post work on it. But, for my own projects, shooting flat would make more sense.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 05:50 AM   #492
Regular Crew

Thanks Vincent.To echo Daves question, are the default settings essentially RAW for the EX1?

meanwhile I will look into the Matrox card, I will also look into FCP to see if I can save a palette of looks.

thanks guys

Greg Kiger
St Louis
Greg Kiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #493
Trustee

Quote:
"Thanks Vincent.To echo Daves question, are the default settings essentially RAW for the EX1?"
Yes, the default settings are meant to produce a flat looking image, from here you can apply curves, colour coorections, saturation etc. Not, quite the same as shooting in RAW with a digital camera, but it will do as a starting point.

You might also want to take a look at Alister Chapmans guide to EX curves.

YouTube - XDCAM EX Gamma Curves and Knee, what they do and which ones to use.
Old September 6th, 2009, 12:54 PM   #494
Major Player

Isn't a flat picture profile very different from RAW just because of the compression down to 4.2.0 (or even 4.2.2 if outputting SDI)? So to my thinking, the closer you get your image coming out of your camera to your finished look the better final quality.

I remember seeing a hack for the DVX-100 where they took the data directly off the imager and ran it to a hard drive - sounded like it might have been similar to a RAW image file. Imagine what you could get if that type of hack was possible with the EX series...
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #495
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Spahr View Post
So to my thinking, the closer you get your image coming out of your camera to your finished look the better final quality.
What you want to aim for is head room. If you tweak your image to the highest point of acceptable exposure, or colour saturation, then you can't do much with the final image. However, if you have room to make adjustments in your NLE, then this must be a better option. I would prefer to make my adjustments based on the subject matter rather that a "one profile does it all" scenario.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds