Picture Profile Recipes - Page 37 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 9th, 2010, 04:27 AM   #541
New Boot

Thanks guys, helpful...
Ewien Kwant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #542
New Boot

Hi there has anyone got any suggestions on a PP for lightning storms?
Greg Charest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:34 AM   #543
Trustee

Hi Greg,

If anyone would it would probably be Alister Chapman. He pretty much captures storms for a living and produces some incredible images. Do a search of the forum first and see if there have been any previous posts.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:31 PM   #544
Regular Crew

Although I normally shoot fireworks and some easy daylight filmings on the firing areas only I promised to help some friends next weekend at a belly dance on stage with colored lights at evening. So I will shoot their show from behind the audience and I stuck with the settings for my EX1R. I do not find an appropriate indoor setting when I search the forums or in the collection.

What I've found was this one from Oliver Neubert:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...ml#post1455035

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver
Gain 0 dB
if possible -3 if absolutely necessary +6 (but never ever more than that)

Matrix on
select Cinema
Level / Phase / R-G all 0

CC off

Offset White off
preset white 3200 (although on stages with modern lights or rock concerts I shoot with 5600)

Gamma Level 0
Select: Cine4

Black Gamma + 25 !!
And I do like very much a profile from Alister Chapman for bright daylight, which I use outdoors:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister
Matrix: On
Select: Cinema
Level: +35
CC: off
Detail: on
Level: -8
Frequency: +30
Crispening: +20
Gamma: +-0
Select: CINE1
Black: -4
So, when I try to combine somehow, it would result in this:

Gain: -3db (I like the smoother image with less noise then with 0db)

Level: 0

Select: CINE4

Black Gamma + 25
Black: -1 (I use this at fireworks and it has less noise than Black: 0 without darkening the image to much)

I will film in 1080/50i with Shutter 180°, ATW (I know, its so bad, but how should I do a manual WB when I film from 30m distance?). I film in 1080i because this is accepted for Blu-ray and I am afraid of fast movments of some dancing groups, so I avoid 1080/24p. I have to downconvert to PAL-DVD too, but this I do often.

So, please, can someone help me if my settings are somehow adequate or am I on the total wrong way?!

Thanks a lot for any hint, I want to give them clear images with all the deep colors and glittering of their costumes and colored lights.

Markus
Markus Klatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2010, 02:15 AM   #545
Inner Circle

For lightning I use standard gamma 3 with the knee set to manual at 90. I preset the white balance to 4300k for night shooting, 5600k for daylight. The more important thing is to use the slowest shutter speed you can get away with to avoid partial exposures. In daylight I shoot 25P (24P or 30P may be more appropriate for NTSC regions) with no shutter. At night I use a 2 frame slow shutter with gain at -3db.
Old May 9th, 2010, 09:05 AM   #546
New Boot

Thanks everyone!
This info will be used hopefully on a trip to Alberta this summer! Praying for some bad weather....crazy huh ?
Old May 9th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #547
Inner Circle

Alberta in June is a good area for Supercells and even the odd tornado, Only problem is the lack of roads that makes getting close hard.
Old May 9th, 2010, 11:14 AM   #548
New Boot

I lived in Edmonton during the time the big tornado went through... very ugly. The hail was as big as my fist and I don't have small hands. Those were in turn spotted like a mace with smaller ice chunks. They hit the hot pavement and either stuck or leave large dents.
There are oil service roads criss crossing a majority of Alberta. One every mile or so. I would have thought that would be sufficient to get in pretty darn close :) They are usually gravel but more than passable even with a car at most times of the year.
Old June 16th, 2010, 07:38 AM   #549
Regular Crew

My first PP for EX1R

In german

Wolfgangs VideoBlog - EX1R Picture Profile
Old June 17th, 2010, 10:15 PM   #550
Major Player

PP for EX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang Winne View Post
Hello everyone!,
I would like to apologize to the person I took and used excel table from in this thread. I am so lazy and that excel table so well prepared I couldn't resist. I am sorry and I Thank you!
Wolfgang, Thank you for taking the time to post your findings too.
Wolfgang, I also took the liberty to transfer and post your settings for EX1R to the excel table first column in light blue. The second column in white is your settings modified (in orange) to fit my taste for EX3 and the fourth column in yellow is my settings for a film look on EX3. Please feel free to load them in your system and look at them in your vectorscope and if you do, please let me know what your conclusion is please.

Please, anyone, take a look at this settings and please comment. Feel free to try them.
Of course my film look settings for the White Preset will vary depend on the situation (indoor/outdoor/outdoor very bright/florescent/tungsten).
Thank you
Luben

Also, please try under Wolfgang's/modified Matrix, Phase 9 - change to -5... I like it much better, but forgot to do the column...
Attached Thumbnails
Picture Profile Recipes-quicklook.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: xls WebPP EX3.xls (35.0 KB, 1088 views)

Last edited by Luben Izov; June 18th, 2010 at 01:15 PM. Reason: add last sentence
Luben Izov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 11:49 PM   #551
Regular Crew

My PP change to version 1.03

Wolfgangs VideoBlog - EX1R Picture Profile

Vectorscop with colorchart

http://www.fxsupport.de/pic/2010/pp/14.jpg
Old June 20th, 2010, 06:13 PM   #552
Major Player

Wolfgang you have done some really good work here using an interesting combination of settings. Must be nice to have scopes of that quality. I have been going through your website using a translation engine.

A few things I am unclear about. It appears you did some work on a profile and then revised it but it is unclear to me, if you have 2 profiles in development or if you are modifying just one profile and documenting the changes as you go. There is also a place where you use the "FL Light" setting instead of "High Sat" and so on. Do you recall why you went with "FL Light"?
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2010, 11:49 PM   #553
Regular Crew

It's only one PP! The version 1.03 is current.

FL Light has the best color vectorangel on the vectorscop for my EX1R. Here a picture of 3 PP:

top without PP, my -3dB PP v1.03,

then this PP:

Level: +35
Select: CINE1
Black: -4
Attached Thumbnails
Picture Profile Recipes-pp.jpg  
Old June 21st, 2010, 12:16 AM   #554
Regular Crew

<Also, please try under Wolfgang's/modified Matrix, Phase 9 - change to -5... I like it much better, but forgot to do the column... >

Thats not correct!! You can not change the matrix from "FL Light" to "cinema" with my color value, this colorspace is very wrong!!!!
Old June 21st, 2010, 02:42 AM   #555
Regular Crew

My new EX1R S-Log Picture Profil, see the attach picture (my second PP), +1 - +1,5 F-Stop

What is S-Log? Wide Dynamic Range, here the F23 Sample: YouTube - Sony F23 Camera
Attached Thumbnails
Picture Profile Recipes-ks-log.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds