Sony PXW-FS5 - Initial User Impressions - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old February 1st, 2016, 09:01 PM   #196
Inner Circle

Re: Sony PXW-FS5 - Initial User Impressions

No, the price does not justify the camera for this camera. At $6000, I expect certain features to just work and not have artificial limits that only really is justified on it's DSLR lower down models.

From weird EVF issues during simultaneous recording, to noise reduction issues... This should have been priced around the same as the DVX200.

Last edited by Jack Zhang; February 1st, 2016 at 11:27 PM.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2016, 11:52 PM   #197
Major Player

I think it's reasonably priced. Yes there are features that aren't working yet and some small teething issues, but Sony are quick with firmware updates (as they've just demonstrated).

It's a super 35mm camera with interchangeable lenses, 422 10-bit HD, UHD recording, a relatively decent codec (not AVCHD), super slow motion modes, etc... There are no other cameras on the market that I know of that can match all of those features for anywhere near that price.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2016, 06:18 PM   #198
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
Found it! Face Detection must be turned OFF for this Direct Menu control to work, via button 5 on the side handgrip - or any other button you might asign. This (and a few other notes) are on page 55.

Just posting this in case this baffles anyone else!

Also, I just discovered the tiny button 6 tucked away round the back, inside edge of the side handgrip. Have assigned it to Centre Scan for now. There are so many control options on this grip :-)
THANK YOU ANDY!

Spend a couple hours wrestling with this exact problem today. I even initialized my FS5 settings to try and figure why my "Direct" menu option disappeared.

Who knew it was something obscure like "face detection" that was blocking this.

Thanks again!

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5