Sony PXW-FS5 - Initial User Impressions - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old December 14th, 2015, 02:45 PM   #76
Inner Circle

Re: Sony PXW-FS5 - Initial User Impressions

I am reading reports of some people having "iris not working" issues with Canon lenses and Metabones MkIV adapter, even when using latest Metabone's firmware version...I have all the necessary parts in my bag, i.e. FS5, MB MkIV adapter and a few Canon lenses and will look into this asap.

Same MB version etc. seems to work fine on FS7.

(Frustratingly, not had time to even look at/take my FS5 kit out of my bag for nearly two weeks (!!!!) but will try and investigate this later this week - once I have hit some challenging edit deadlines for a big client).
Old December 14th, 2015, 03:59 PM   #77
Major Player

Hoodman Loupe/FS5

Hoodman looking into a modified loupe for the LCD on this camera. had a long talk with Bob and xplained that this lcd has a cable going into the bottom of it.
I use on my EX cam and its a must for me, makes focussing so much easier.
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 04:59 PM   #78
Regular Crew

Jim that is great news, I will pre order if I can
Ray Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 05:29 PM   #79
Major Player

I'm actually very pleased with the usability of the VF. I haven't had any issues focusing with it. A loupe would be nice but I personally don't see it as essential.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 05:43 PM   #80
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody Arnott View Post
I'm actually very pleased with the usability of the VF. I haven't had any issues focusing with it. A loupe would be nice but I personally don't see it as essential.
I shoot a good deal or sports and other outdoor activities and the LCD is often useless depending the the brightness and angle of sun. also toying with the idea of moving the grip forward and tossing it on my shoulder from time to time
Ray Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 12:19 AM   #81
Major Player

I'm probably gonna get this, will still use my ex but this cam is special,I loved everything about it
If you haven't used the loupe,you'll love it,very sharp,easy to focus diopter
Old December 15th, 2015, 09:48 AM   #82
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody Arnott View Post
I agree with this. It's small, but the diopter works well for my eyes, and I can get a crisp focus.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 10:53 AM   #83
Major Player

Mike have u gotten the camera yet? what cam were u using?
Old December 16th, 2015, 02:53 AM   #84
Major Player

Interesting that I never heard anyone ever mention that by using the variable ND you use 2 stops of light. Alister said it is great if you move from outside to inside or vice versa you can maintain the same f-stop but he didn't mention you need to up your ISO. (and in some cases that won't be enough) So this is not a replacement for iris-control, as was suggested.

You also need a lot of light to shoot 200 FPS noise free.

For longer periods of handheld work, I found I really need a shoulder solution and loupe when shooting with the camera fully decked out with the SpeedBooster+Canon 24-105, external mic, wireless receiver and BP-U60. It becomes a heavy little package.

Yesterday I mounted my FS5 on a Zacuto shoulderplate with a wooden handle on the right and an Albatros monitor. It was a setup for use with the FS700. (see attachment)

For the FS5, we could do away with the monitor and use a proper loupe. And replace the wooden handle by mounting the handgrip forward on the rods.

I really liked the compact factor and balance. And with the FS5 handgrip replacing the wooden handgrip, this could be a great package.

I just wonder how the LCD screen would stand up under the strain of a loupe pressed against your eye.
Attached Thumbnails
Sony PXW-FS5 - Initial User Impressions-fs700-rig.jpg  
Old December 16th, 2015, 03:19 AM   #85
Major Player

I've been using the variable ND a lot. I've been shooting over the past few days in a big farming equipment manufacturing plant. Not dimly lit by any means, but also not a bright outdoor setting. At 1000 ISO and f4.0, I haven't needed to remove the ND filter yet. I've been exposing primarily using the ND. Extremely handy being able to expose while maintaining the same depth of field.
Old December 16th, 2015, 03:34 AM   #86
Major Player

Jody, what PP do you use?
Old December 16th, 2015, 04:51 AM   #87
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen Wolf View Post
Jody, what PP do you use?
So far I've been sticking to PP5 (Cine1 gamma) and I'm happy with it. It handles highlights very well, which was my main concern when testing out the REC709 profiles. It requires some grading but just a few tweaks to contrast and colour, nothing like SLOG.
Old December 16th, 2015, 08:19 AM   #88
Major Player

Did you tweak the PP5 settings or use it 'as is'?
Old December 16th, 2015, 10:50 AM   #89
Major Player

Jeroen: You've said that you're using EF lenses - I assume with the CommLite EF - E-mount Adapter you mentioned.

I have the 24-105 and 17-55. I've tried them on the JVC LS300, and the Metabones "smart" (quotes are mine) adapter I bought seems to lose contact, so I lose iris control. I have to shut down, remove and remount the lens. And Metabones has not been a great resource for customer support.

Have you ever had that problem with the CommLite on the FS5? Or has anyone else with the Metabones or Speedbooster?

Also, I've looked at some comparisons and the CommLite seems to exhibit considerable flare compared to the Metabones - true or false? I dislike adapters, and that's the one thing keeping me from springing for the FS5.

Last edited by Steve Rosen; December 16th, 2015 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Spelling
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2015, 11:11 AM   #90
Major Player

I have not had any issues either with the CommLite or Metabones SB. I have not used the 70-200 f4 with the Metabones but the 24-105 works fine with both adapters.

Mine is a brand new Metabones Speedbooster, by the way. I have read of problems with the (older) Speedbooster and the FS7.

(Interesting comment on the flare issue- it may explain a phenomenon during a shoot a week ago. I'm going to have to look into that.)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5