Tripod suggestions for Canon XH A1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old November 21st, 2006, 01:35 PM   #16
Contributor

Thanks. I decided to go with the Libec-22. Lighter, smaller and cheaper is where I'm coming from with this camera setup.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #17
Contributor

I got the Libec LS-22 in today, and it's perfectly sized for the XH A1. The camera is about 5 pounds, and the Canon quick release plate I bought is right at 1 pound, for a total of 6. The head is rated for a little over 8 pounds.

The head is nice and smooth, and the quick release plate is adjustable for good balance. You really don't need the Canon quick release--I had bought it so I could use the camera with other tripods that only have the 3/8" thread, and then I decided to get a dedicated tripod for the camera.

There's also a counterweight spring adjustment with three positions--off, nose heavy and back heavy. This would be good for something like an XL2. I think the H1 would be just a bit heavy for this model.

For bigger cameras I have an O'Connor 50 and a Gitzo 1338. Both those are much more expensive than the Libec 22. You can pan at any speed, take your hand off the handle when you stop, and the head will not move a bit. With cheaper heads like this Libec you have to be a bit more precise at the end of your pan. It takes a light touch. Not a big deal for me because older tripods I grew up with in my 16mm days were like that. Even if you're a klutz, you wouldn't notice any end movement unless you're zoomed in all the way.

The kit comes with a ground level spreader and for 40 bucks more from Zotz Digital you can get it with a mid level spreader. They also have a special deal going on with a free lanc zoom controller. I haven't tried it out yet to see if it works with the A1. Since it was free I won't be suicidal if it's not good, but it says it works with "most" Canons.

I like the legs too. they're lightweight but sturdy enough and collapse down fairly low. Overall this is not a tripod you would check out to students in college filmmaking class or put in rental; but if you want a lightweight, good system sized for the A1, it's a winner at 400 bucks. It comes with a bag too.

Dealing with Zotz was good. When I got the package today, it had the ground level spreader instead of mid level. I called Brian. His first comment was, "Oh ****, I hope I didn't turn in the order wrong." He checked his paperwork and he had done it right. It was the Libec wholesaler who shipped it that got it wrong. He said he'd take care of it immediately. Within a couple of hours I got an email, and the wholesaler is going to ship out the mid level spreader immediately. They said to keep the one I've got too, rather than sending it back. Can't beat that for customer service. And, actually, the ground level spreader is OK too because it folds up inside the tripod--no need to remove it as you do with some.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 05:53 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Tripod for Canon XH-A1

I just ordered a Canon XH-A1 and I'm looking to buy a tripod. Which tripod do you recommend?
Anthony Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 06:19 PM   #19
Obstreperous Rex

Moved from Canon XH forum to Tripod Sticks & Heads.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 08:08 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Sorry about the reposting, b/c I didn't see the tripod section and posted this in the Canon XH-A1 camcorder section and was move to the tripod section.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 10:19 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Anthony,

Tripods are under "support your local camera"

There you will find countless tripod discussions. A few for the A1 and plenty of others in regards to other 5.5 pound cameras.

I just picked up what I felt, from reading about and finally getting my hands on a few, was the least amount of money I could spend to get the job done for now. I am hiking through the woods and in and out of boats with my gear. All my shots are very short in duration, and as I am chasing the sun I need to be fast.

So for a head, I agree, the Bogen 503 is the minimum. It pans an tilts nicely but at the end of a movement you need to leave the weight of you hand on the bar or it ever so slightly moves back. Yep, thats what you get for about $250. I am happy with the purchase but I have a feeling it will be upgraded next year.

For sticks I picked up the Manfrotto 745B mdeve aluminum tripod. They are stable. They don't twist at all when I pan the camera. I can set them up fast and break them down just as quickly. Actually I have already taken to just putting the legs together while extended, leaving the camera attached and carting it on my shoulder to the next opportunity. Nice versatile legs. Instead of a colum, they have a half bowl to level the camera. It is fast. Much faster than readjusting legs attempting to level the camera.

If I was not on a budget I would have bought the Gitzo set-up. But they were $1800. These were $500, the bare minimum as far as I am concerned.

If I were doing studio work or in one place for a long time. I might have bought the 503 with the Manfrotto 351 sticks. Looked even more stable but more complex to set up and more weight to carry.

Good Luck,
Jay
Old December 4th, 2006, 04:02 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Tripod for XH A1 on a budget

I'm in film school and I need a tripod for my A1 and I on a student's budget. What's the best I can get for under $100. All suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance!!
James Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #23
Major Player

Go to your backyard, cut down your a tree, any tree will do. Get three limbs of similiar size, get some twine to fasten them together. Now get some duct tape and tape your camcorder to the wooden legs.

Works like a charm and is basically free.

In all seriousness, $100 isn't going to cut it, unless you aren't using it for pans. You have spent a descent chunk of change on the camcorder and $100 is chump change. If you are serious about videography, $100 is just wasting your time. $350 might get you rolling with semi-smooth pans, but no less than that.

Sorry I can't help, anything under $100, wont be pleasing and only will frustrate you with sticking pans, hesitation and shaking at telephoto. If anything it makes your work look horrible.

If you already knew this then, I suppose anything under $100 will suit your needs, I have seen tripods at Walmart for $15 before, but keep your eyes open for those kind of deals, they go quick.
Holly Rognan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 05:23 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I just ordered a Bogen/Manfrotto Tripod. The store insisted that the 501 bogen head was just fine for smooth pans. It is a friction/fluid head (I don't know what that means) but they said it was fine. About $469 what do you think.
John Huling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 05:32 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Is the 503 really that much better for a Canon XH A1
Old December 4th, 2006, 10:21 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Stebbins
So for a head, I agree, the Bogen 503 is the minimum.
Yeap, I am using this setup for both my HC1 + XH-A1. I had the 501 breifly before I returned it but the 503 definately feels better. and pans smoother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Stebbins
For sticks I picked up the Manfrotto 745B mdeve aluminum tripod. They are stable. They don't twist at all when I pan the camera. I can set them up fast and break them down just as quickly.
the 745B is great, I used to borrow that tripod from school, but when I bought y own setup I went just a tad up and got the 755B, its basiically a 745B supports a bit more weight but best all it has an adjustable centre column that goes up and down, furhter adding height flexibility.

Whether 745B/755B I would HIGHLY recommend getting a tripod with that quick and easy leveling mechanism as Jay mentioned. It is a MUST IMHO
Old December 5th, 2006, 02:07 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Jackson
I'm in film school and I need a tripod for my A1 and I on a student's budget. What's the best I can get for under $100. All suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance!!
I'm looking at the Libec LS-38 Tripod, you can get one at Zotz for $600. Too expensive then checkout the Libec LS-22 for around $400 and change. www.libecusa.com
Old December 13th, 2006, 09:24 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Huling
Is the 503 really that much better for a Canon XH A1
Yes. No sticking @ all @ the beginning of pans, I bought the 501 for a week then returned it for a 503. And @ the time I was using for my HC1. The 503+755B is well mated with my A1 for run and gun videography IMO.
Old December 13th, 2006, 09:50 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Thanks I will lookminto the 503 instead of the 501. I have it (501) it was delivered the other day. I will try and see with pans etc. If not return it for 503 unless anyone else as another opinion
Old December 16th, 2006, 01:36 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Which is the best Tripod system for the Xh a1?

The :

Vinten Pro5
or
Vinten Pro 6
or
Sachtler DV 1
Adrian Paul Spiteri is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads