Tripod suggestions for Canon XH A1 - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 31st, 2007, 05:51 PM   #106
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats Frendahl View Post
Josh, do you mean that the setup is stable enough to handle the extra momentum caused by moving the control out to the handle? I'd say the opposite - basic rule of physics.
Yes. I have the zr-2000 mounted on the handle of a LS-38 (about 3/4 of the way between the grip and the bend) and have no problems with it. The zr-2000 is cheap plastic and weighs nothing.
Josh Laronge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 05:59 PM   #107
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv Kumar View Post
I guess I could manually focus from one point to the desired point (with some practice) using the controller. That little thumbwheel switch for focus doesn't look too encouraging thou.
Shiv,
The focus wheel on the zr-2000 is really only good for fine tuning not for large focus moves. Have you looked at a follow focus attachment with a whip that may do more of what your looking to do along the focus lines? The remote would be used to start/stop and zoom. You should be able to be very smooth with this.
Old August 31st, 2007, 06:11 PM   #108
Inner Circle

Hi Shiv...........

If you've got the stamina for it, and really want a sub $1000 tripod which will not move even under extreme provocation, then I can heartily recommend the Manfrotto 528XB sticks. They are, quite literaly, built like a brick out house and could just about do double duty as truck axle stands.

The down side is they weigh in @ 7.4 kilos (16.28 lbs) without a head attached and don't go all that low (by a serious margin).

They're targeted specifically at people who use jibs/cranes etc. Outside the US they're rated to 50 kilos (110 lbs) capacity, in the US to 30 kilos (66 lbs) but I think these ratings are seriously conservative.

With a decent head on top (Vinten Vision 3 for a Canon A1) they're the closest thing to having your camera bolted to a concrete block you're going to find under $1000.

You will, however, wish you'd spent more time in the gym after a bit of use.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 07:04 PM   #109
Major Player

Chris, Josh,

Thank you both for your advise. As you might have guessed, I'm totally new to all of this :).

Here is my observation (with my $100 tripod):

It's not the legs that move, but the "head" (this tripod does not have a head that is seperate from the legs as far as I can tell). That slight "play" in the mechanism at the head causes a pretty big shift/shake at the camera which at full zoom is very noticable.

So it looks like to me that I need a tripod/head combination that has no "play" whatsoever. What moves (and therefore causes a shak) in other more expensive tripods then?
Shiv Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 07:38 PM   #110
Major Player

Shiv,
Bottom line, you'll see a big difference in stability in a better tripod. Chris' suggestion will be very stable. To a point, the more you spend on a tripod the more stable and better the movements will be. On the other end you can look at what is the minimum you have to spend to get decent stability and smooth movement. Without starting and argument on here about which tripod is best, most video tripods with fluid heads in the $600 - $2500 range will work and be much better than what you're currently using.
--JL
Old August 31st, 2007, 08:05 PM   #111
Inner Circle

Hi Shiv...

The old adage "you get what you pay for" works for tripods/ heads just like anything else. As the prices go up, the build quality does likewise, the material count ditto, the weight, you name it. With that comes extra rigidity and less movement.

I'm very aware of the sort of support/ camera movement you're experienceing, it is the price of "cheap". That is not to say your particular setup wouldn't be suitable for a cheaper, lighter, less resolution camera, it's just no good for yours.

As for a replacement - ah! Well, the first place for you to start is your budget. What can you afford? Then there's a myriad of options at just about every price point.

The only thing you must have is a "half bowl receiver" on the top of the tripod and either a matching or smaller "half ball" head or a flat bottomed head and a half ball/ flat unit (for Manfrotto).

My only warnings are about getting a head that can, actually, counterbalance your A1 (Vinten Vision 3 with #2 spring for example) then choose the sticks to go with the head (I recommend getting the same make sticks as the head for compatability reasons).

As I don't know your max budget I can't be more specific, but for an A1 the choices are indeed myriad.

One last point Shiv, if you've never used a "pro" head and sticks with correct counterbalance functioning, you ain't lived and simply will not believe the difference. That is an understatement.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 10:21 PM   #112
Major Player

Josh, Chris,

Once again thank you both for your great comments and suggestions. It's pretty clear to me that I need a much better tripod. The one I have works great for my still and regular ( you know the consumer variety) camcoder.

My budget...well I don't have one since I'm not sure how much things will cost. I'm getting a much better idea of what my budget needs to be however after the reccomendations and suggestion all of you have kindly shared. So it's looks like between $600-$1000 should get me a pretty decent tripod.

So a tripod with a Pan and Tilt Head is obviously missing one of the movements. So can one mount the camera on the tripod in such a wy as to get the third? I'm assuming "tilt" allows the camera to to pointed up to the sky or down to the ground, how does one get a dutch tilt with such tripods?

I found this tripod
http://www.adorama.com/GTRHD124.html

For $60 one could get at least a remote controller no?
Shiv Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 10:27 PM   #113
Major Player

Quote:
I'm assuming "tilt" allows the camera to to pointed up to the sky or down to the ground, how does one get a dutch tilt with such tripods?
I don't know, but dutch tilt is a very rare camera move in most productions.

Quote:
I found this tripod
http://www.adorama.com/GTRHD124.html

For $60 one could get at least a remote controller no?
I have that same tripod, and it's terrible. The tripod itself is probably as good as the $20 - $30 tripods, and the controller has only two zoom speeds: CRASH and STOP. No focus or other useful controls, of course.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2007, 09:51 AM   #114
Contributor

Libec seems to give you a pretty decent tripod for the money. I've always used very expensive big heavy tripods, as well as the $1500 Gitzo, which I consider lightweight. However for the XH A1, I wanted something smalll and really light that I could carry with the two tripod straps that come attached to the Petrol bag. I got a Libec 22, which is very smooth but has that cheap tripod bounceback at the end of a pan. It's controllable and just takes a steady hand (sort of like using the old O'Connor Cs from the dark ages). But you can't just make a pan and let go and expect the head to stay there. It fulfills my needs because I can use other tripods, but if you can only have one I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. However, they have a bigger, better one that's still under $600. I think its number is 35, but I'm not sure. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the 22, especially for the price. Its movement is as smooth as any professional tripod, but the weight of the XH A1 with the Canon quick release plate is marginal (since the 22 has the small screw, I could use the camera without the plate, but I need the plate for using other tripods).
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 11:13 PM   #115
Major Player

Manfrotto 501,501HDV,503, or 503HDV for A1?

Heres my story in brief. At work I use a Canon H1. We have the 501 head which works fine, yea theres stiction but overall its not that bad of a setup. My boss has let me use the tripod for personal use with my A1 and it is still fine aside the stiction. I tried out a 501HDV last night (tripod only...nocamera mounted) and it seemed not so great. The head couldn't stay pointed down on its own without being locked down. I am not sure where the level was to turn off the counter balance, and the shop owner told me to just lock it down (no thanks). He only really spoke chinese (i am currently in taiwan) so getting help wasn't easy, but he kept saying the 503HDV is too much for th A1 just buy the 501HDV. They didn't have the 50 HDV in stock. From what I have read the 503's work smoother than the 501's. The 501 HDV has only on/off for counter balance, while the 503HDV has 3 stage marked as 0-8kgs. From all I've read I'd rather get the 503HDV, is this a wise choice? It is the same size as the 501HDV from its specs and about the same weight, so putting it on the same legs should not be an issue correct? They heads have the same bottom mount (3/8-16) so they should mount on the same legs.

So does anyone have experience with these heads and the A1? Please share. Also am I correct in the observations of the similarity of the heads? And most important, does the 503 HDV head have counter balance right for the A1?

Note to the mods - I know this is more of a tripod question, but I chose to post here to try and find only A1 users with knowledge on these heads because it will only be used with an A1. I hope it won't be moved.
Old September 10th, 2007, 12:59 AM   #116
Inner Circle

anything 501 is friction head.. albeit teflon smooth, it is NOT a fluid head geared unit

fluid heads, when configured, can in fact work in teh means of "set and place' but this is at a sacrifice to actual fluidity and tension.

In turn,the 501 is a good alternative but it DOES take practice

the 503 (irrespective if it bears the "hdv" tagline), is a 501 with higher weight ratio/capacity with the adition of 3 gears. Its a true Fluid head, so retraction is a given. Ie, it "bounces" back
For heavier gear like the H1, the 503 is a better choice IMO, for panning at long tele, again, the 503 is superior.
For basic lockdownwork though, without the need of fastening then the 501 is a good alternative
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 04:53 AM   #117
Trustee

I'm using a 503 (not HDV) with the A1 and the combination is OK, i.e. not that great, but I think it is a limitation of the 503. BTW, I have a friend with 3 503 heads and they are all different in feel. One is pretty smooth, better than mine, but the other 2, which are newer models, are much worse than mine. And one of them made a grinding sound when you tried to pan. If you are planning to buy Manfrotto, I recommend you check out the actual unit before you take it home.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:09 AM   #118
Regular Crew

I have this 503HDV kit and, so far, it has worked very well for me with my XHA1. My first tripod was a Libec LS-38 and it was a great system, but way too heavy for my needs

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...3HDV_HEAD.html
Dearl Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 11:15 PM   #119
Major Player

Libec 38 w/ Canon XH-A1

Well I have used this combination on two occassions and have to say that I am very pleased with the results. Please note that any comparisons are from my experience with the Bogen 503 (notHDV).

1. Legs with mid level spreader are great. The spreader has the option of holding shape at 180 or 45 degrees. Last Saturday I was filming a marching band competition from a small podium. Having the 45 degree option was a lifesaver. The legs hold sturdy and dever budged.

2. The head is exactly as advertised and makes a great companion to the XH-A1. I thought I would miss being able to dial in the tension that I wanted like on the 503. No way! These heads are set how I like my Bogens on their best day. The best part is they are always like this. No more hoping that another cameraman messed with my tripod settings. Just unlock and go. I shot a choir concert at 99 zoom and had nothing but smooth pans. When I needed to bump the picture up, smooth as silk.

3. I do miss the telescoping pan arm. Since I am only 5' 7", I liked being able to have the tripod as tall as possible but still comfortably reach my remote zoom controls.

4. The bag that came with the tripod is too small when you put the feet on. Scott at Tapeworks Texas has already contacted Libec and they are in the process of getting out larger bags that will accomodate this tripod.

5. The tripod is headier than I thought it would be. With the A-1 I would be hard pressed to do a lot of running around and repositioning without some fatigue.

All in all I hightly recommend this tripod. I feel like a better camerman with it!

Jonathan Schwartz
Owner, CA Video Productions
Jonathan Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 07:21 AM   #120
New Boot

A1 with DS5

Hey,

I'm using a Miller DS5 with my A1 and i'm really stoked with it! It's super smooth and and really easy to get level. The height availability is also really good and the legs are easy to adjust. It's recommended to handle only up to 2.5kg's though, but that's fine for an A1 with a few little extra's on... It was pretty pricey, but worth it i think!
Shane Rielly is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads