Tripod suggestions for Canon XH A1 - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 14th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #121
Major Player

A1 w/ Libec 38

I have both the 503 and the Libec 38. I can tell you that there is no comparison between the two. The libec 38 is a great head. I describe it as my 503 if all the settings and adjustments are absolutely perfect. The difference is with the 38 it is always there. No adjustments. No bounce back. Great mid level spreader with a 45 degree lock option for tight spaces.

I miss my adjustable length pan handle, but that's it. No complaints so far.

Jonathan Schwartz
Owner, CA Video Productions
Jonathan Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 07:15 PM   #122
Regular Crew

Bought Solo DV Carbon Fiber with DS-10

I just bought the subject combo for my Sony Z1, which has a similar weight and balance to the Canon XH-A1. I considered two Sachtler models, a Vinten, and a Bogen. The Sachtlers were pretty close and I could have afforded their DV-6SB, but chose the Miller because it filled the bill very well.

My priorities were (1) performance (2) ease of operation, and (3) lightness and totability. Initially I rejected the Solo DV because it seemed too basic, but it the end, it has an extremely smooth pan and tilt without backlash, balanced my camera well, and easily won in the totability face off. It is easy to carry, in its case or by itself, with included padded strap. Of those I considered it had the greatest range.

It was also the least expensive.
Mark Goldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 05:57 AM   #123
Major Player

Has anyone used the Bogen / Manfrotto 561B monopod with the XH-A1? I'm interested in hearing pros and cons.

Also, I know you're supposed to turn off the Image Stabilizer when using a tripod. Is the same true when using a monopod?
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #124
Contributor

I just got a Libec 38 in yesterday, also from Tapeworks Texas. I didn't put the feet on yet, but it appears the bag is big enough at first glance. I'll have to check that out tonight.

So far this tripod appears perfect for the XH A1. I had bought a Libec 22 and it has a nice, smooth move, but with the addition of the Canon tripod adapter plate, a shotgun mic and a wireless receiver, and their associated cables, I felt the total weight was pushing it. On a long lens shot it was a bit hard to control. Useable, but I preferred something a bit heavier. The 38 is a perfect fit for a reasonable price. It also goes up a little higher than the 22, which I needed. And I agree, that 180-45 degree thing on the center spreader is nice.

The 22 was nice in that it was a single stage, small and light and could be tied onto the side of the camera bag with the velcro strips (Petrol bag has those). The 38 is a bit too large for that, but that's OK. I sold the 22 to a guy with just a naked XH A1 and it is working fine for him.

By the way, TT's price on the 38 is significantly less than even B&H.

The reason I use the tripod adapter plate is that the XH A1 only has the 1/4" socket on the base, and I often use it on bigger tripods with teleprompter, and they all have the standard 3/8" screw. The plate has both 3/8" and 1/4". It would seem a simple thing to put a normal 3/8" socket next to the 1/4" in the camera baseplate.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #125
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
I just got a Libec 38 in yesterday, also from Tapeworks Texas. I didn't put the feet on yet, but it appears the bag is big enough at first glance. I'll have to check that out tonight.
I have two LS38s and the bag that comes with them fits with the feet and floor level spreader but it doesn't fit the feet with the mid-level spreader. It's good to hear Libec is getting some bigger bags.

I use 'em with the XH-A1 as well and think they are great and especially a great value.
Josh Laronge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 04:42 PM   #126
Contributor

I'll try to check it out tonight. It looks as if will fit, but I didn't attach the feet last night. I did leave the Canon tripod adapter plate on, and the bag zips closed around it nicely.

Scott at TT, by the way, said Libec has excellent customer service.
Old November 21st, 2007, 04:19 PM   #127
Regular Crew

Would most agree that the Libec LS-38 is a little smoother than the Bog/Man 503?
There seems to be only a $50 difference....

which one seems to be more favorable to everyone?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...od_System.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...3HDV_HEAD.html

Oh and where has anyone found these the cheapest??

Thanks!!!

Last edited by Suzanne Zorich; November 21st, 2007 at 05:16 PM.
Suzanne Zorich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 12:54 PM   #128
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

Bill, You've had your LS38 system now for almost a month. I am interested in your opinion of the product. I tend to recommend Libec quite often and always like to hear feedback. Please provide a review!
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #129
Contributor

I haven't done much shooting with it yet, only for test purposes, but I'd say it's an excellent match for the XH A1.

Originally I bought a Libec 22 when I got the camera. I wanted something small and as lightweight as possible. The 22 has a nice smooth movement but is a bit undersized for the camera with the Canon mounting plate, shotgun mic and wireless receiver. I think that puts it over the limit of the 22.

While I thought the 22 was very well made for its price range, the 38 is significantly better. Everything is heavier duty, even the spreader and the feet. Overall it's a bigger, heavier tripod, but still lightweight by my standards.

In my initial testing I do not see any of the "bounceback" the 22 has. This is common to most all inexpensive tripods. That refers to what happens at the end of a pan...you stop and the head wants to move back just a bit. It won't stay put exactly where you stop. The workaround to this is to use the lockdown lever at the end of a pan--just squeeze it gently so it locks lightly and you can stop a pan perfectly.

The Libec 38 does not seem to have any of this bounceback, which is amazing in a tripod in this price range. Movement is smooth, and I can zoom in all the way and make a steady tilt or pan with no wiggle. I think it is perfectly sized for cameras like the XH A1. I believe the specs say 8-18 pounds, but as we all know, tripod manufacturers like to exaggerate the upper end. My old O'Connor 50 is rated at 50 pounds, but you don't want to put 50 pounds on it. You can do it, but it's a lot like running FCP with the minimum amount of RAM specified. Just because you can do it doesn't mean it's a good thing to do.

Same for tripod weight specs--consider the low end when looking. That puts the Libec 38 right in line for the XH A1. I wouldn't change a thing on it.

One thing that's very cool with the 38 is the way the center spreader works. You can get it with either center or ground spreader. I like the center spreader. What's different about this one is that, say you want to squeeze the legs in just a little to raise the tripod quickly. You push the big button in the middle of the spreader and that unlocks the 180 degree position. Lift up and the spreader will then lock into place in a 45 degree elevated position, so you don't have to worry about your legs sliding out.

I got the 38 from Tapeworks Texas, which has a good price on all Libec stuff, and you get something almost unheard of these days: decent customer service.
Old January 9th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #130
New Boot

Best tripod for xh a1?

Anyone have any recommendations as far as a tripod goes?

Thanks!
-Rick
Rick Oconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 10:39 AM   #131
Inner Circle

Best bang for the buck is a set of Manfrotto 055 legs and a 503 fluid head

There are some cheap fluid heads out there but they dont have the sheer bulk mass of the Manfrotto head units.

The A1 is substantially heavier (at least half a kilo) than a fully loaded DVX/HVX or a PD170
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 10:58 AM   #132
Wrangler

In general, the heaviest, most rugged you can afford. Beyond that general advice, it depends on what you are doing, what portability you need, and your budget.

Plan to spend a minimum of around $275 for a decent portable video tripod and head, likely a good bit more if you are a serious shooter needing serious support.

I am using a Bogen 501 head on a set of discontinued Bogen legs.
Old January 9th, 2008, 11:03 AM   #133
New Boot

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I think I may have a decent enough tripod actually... I'm using the Amvona AT 6703 so maybe I just need a new head to support the weight of the xh a1. Recommendations?
Rick Oconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 11:07 AM   #134
Contributor

I first bought a Libec 22 but with the added weight of the quick release plate I use, the shotgun mic, and a wireless receiver, it felt a little light. It also had that cheap tripod bounceback, but it was quite well made for the money. I sold it and got a Libec 38 which is excellent for the XH A1 and has none of the bounceback. It was only around $600.
Old January 9th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #135
Regular Crew

I'm using the 501 Bogen head on a Manfrotto setup as well. I love it. It might not be rugged enough for certain filming applications, but it suits me just fine.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ith_351MV.html
Kellen Dengler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads