Tripod suggestions for Canon XH A1 - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old January 9th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #136
New Boot

The 501 Bogen head/manfrotto setup looks slick. It pretty light?
Rick Oconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #137
Regular Crew

Yeah it's not bad. The specs on it on the B&H page says 12.5 lbs. The case has a shoulder strap and a handle so it's easy to cary either way and is really padded. I really like it.
Kellen Dengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #138
Major Player

I use a 501 head on
on these 055 legs
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/14795
Its a stills tripod
but IMO better than any video tripod at that price.
Legs are free folding out to a certain point which makes
levelling a sinch. just pull in whichever leg to where you need it
to level the shot.
They are not linked by a spreader so it makes this possible.

Also leave just one leg down for a good monopod with a good head on it.
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 12:25 PM   #139
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Oconnor View Post
Anyone have any recommendations as far as a tripod goes?

Thanks!
-Rick
We have very nice Vinten Vision systems at our production group, but more often than not I use a $60 Velbon VideoMate. Laugh if you want to, but I do so much run-n-gun, one-man-band shooting that I don't want to carry all that heavy gear. For lock down interviews and simple camera movements, and when I'm in a tight space, the thing has been a life saver. Sure it won't impress anyone, and people make wisecracks, but if I use it skillfully it can do the job- and I can travel that much lighter.
Old January 14th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #140
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Hill View Post
We have very nice Vinten Vision systems at our production group, but more often than not I use a $60 Velbon VideoMate. Laugh if you want to, but I do so much run-n-gun, one-man-band shooting that I don't want to carry all that heavy gear. For lock down interviews and simple camera movements, and when I'm in a tight space, the thing has been a life saver. Sure it won't impress anyone, and people make wisecracks, but if I use it skillfully it can do the job- and I can travel that much lighter.
I hear ya, Benjamin. I've used this same tripod going on 12 years, and with the exception of several pieces of broken plastic, thanks to Super glue, it still works. Of course, I have a real tripod I use in situations where more precision is required, but for many shoots, the VideoMate is perfect. Can't weigh more than 5 lbs. (And I know what you mean about the snickering.)
Bill Heslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 08:28 AM   #141
Regular Crew

Need a good tripod for Canon XHA1

Can anyone recommend a good tripod with a fluid head that will suit a Canon XHA1. This will mainly be used for shooting at air shows, so full zoom will be used often, so the steadier the better.

Many thanks,

Mark
Mark Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 12:02 PM   #142
Major Player

Investigate the Vinten Vision 3.
Old March 8th, 2008, 02:18 PM   #143
Major Player

I know both the Cartoni Focus and the Vinten Vision 3, the Vinten has better built quality but reaquires a spring exchange for different weights while the Focus has a progressive counter balance regulation. Both are very good heads, I can't say I prefer working whith one or another. However, I would prefer another release system on the Cartoni and not so many plastic parts.

I have a Focus for my HD200, and I'm very satisfied. If you can afford also consider the Vision 6 (the same as the vision 3 but with counter balance regulation) and the Sachtler DV8.
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 01:53 PM   #144
Major Player

Anything better than the LS-38M(2A) in $700 Range for XH-A1?

Ok.... I worked some overtime to help a buddy out, and have some cash to burn! Instead of paying down the mortgage, or making an extra car payment, I want to blow it on upgrading my tripod!

I've had my eyes set on a Libec LS-38M(2A), which seems to get great reviews and can be bought for a little under $600 from one of the sponsors here at DVi.

I have about $700 to spend, and am now wondering if there another system which would be even better for me and my Canon XH-A1?
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 08:20 PM   #145
Trustee

I haven't read anything here about any tripod for $700 that would be better than the LS-38.

At the next level, among the usual suspects are:
Cartoni Focus plus legs
Gitzo 1380 head + legs
Sacthler FSB-6 + legs
Miller Solo
Vinten (not the one that is the same as Bogen)

...and all of these come in between $1300 and $1700 (or more?) I believe.

However, many there is something I'm missing.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 02:48 AM   #146
Regular Crew

All I can say is that I'm delighted with my LS38 - it works perfectly for me and I can't seethat anything else in the price range could be noticeably better.
Nick Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #147
Regular Crew

LS38 for 5kg< setups only?

The LS38 is intended for cameras from 5-8kg, according to Libec's website. (Actually there are two different sets of figures on the same page, the other stating 4kg). I was intending to buy one for my XH-A1, but my set-up, which realistically isn't going to grow very much, is under 2.5kg.

Am I right in thinking, therefore, that the LS38 isn't the best companion for a plain and simple A1 (with just battery, filter(s), gun mic and radio rx) as it would offer too much resistance? Wouldn't an LS22 or TH950 be better suited - regardless of budget - as these are designed for lighter weight camera systems?
Andrew Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 10:11 AM   #148
Trustee

If your camera isn't "pimped up" with extras (Matte Box, mics, big batteries etc.) then you will struggle with tilts on the LS-38. I made that mistake, and it was reasonably expensive. Panning is fine, but tilting isn't much fun.

The LS-22 head is 'OK'. Not brilliant. I find it very hard to use it at any level of zoom, there's no adjustable tilt or pan friction and, to be honest, the fluid system isn't brilliant. But at that price point, you probably can't do better.

The legs on the 950DV are rubbish. I tried it with my Sony V1E (similar in weight to your Canon) and it wouldn't hold up. Nearly collapsed a few times when i tried to do a tilt or pan. The legs on the LS-22 are a bit more robust.

I took the LS-22 head from the 950DV (both models have the same head - the 950 even has "LS-22" inside the tripod plate!) and put it on the single stage legs that come with the LS-37 - these are the same as the LS22 legs. It wasn't bad, it was a bit more solid, but the limitations of the head were still there.

If I had the money, I'd be going for either a Vinten Vision 3 or a Sachtler 6, but that's anywhere from £1000-£1500 depending on model. These are perfectly suited to smaller cams, just very pricey!

Last edited by Mike Beckett; May 11th, 2008 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Edit: got me pans and tilts mixed up!
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 04:05 AM   #149
Regular Crew

Hmm...

I use my LS-38 with a a pretty bare XH-A1 and I find tilting to be OK. It might well be that I'm not being very critical - I'm a hobbyist, not a pro, and it might well be that if I was working fast under pressure to get the shot right first time every time I'd be less happy.

I knew about the weight range before I bought, but I decided that more solid was better than less solid, and I seem to be able to use the slider on the head to find a good balance position for the camera.

I guess I also worked on the basis that I wouldn't be getting perfection at this price, and the balance of compromises works for me.
Nick Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #150
New Boot

Another Tripod/Head query

Hi,

Long-time reader, but not much of a poster. Finally got my hands on a XH A1 and now, like us all, I'm eyeing all the goodies that I can spend my cash on to complete the "basic" kit.

First on the list, a decent tripod and fluid head. I'm in the UK and am looking in the £500-£700 range for a solid set of legs and a decent head that can grow with my kit. I'd quite like to add the Letus (or similar) at some point so the weight the sticks can carry is important so I dont have to re-purchase later down the line. I was, of course, wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I'd love the vinten, but, as already mentioned, budget must be a consideration, or I'll be hearing from the divorce lawyers :o)

Thank you in advance.
Shaun
Shaun Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads