Tripod suggestions for Canon XH A1 - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old September 1st, 2008, 03:47 PM   #211
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco Dones View Post
Hi Arif,

one of the Libec LS-22 series (several versions available: check out their website) will do the job.
Pros: lightweight, fits into a regular suitcase (if you unscrew the head), is well within your budget.
Cons: well, it's lightweight (hence not the most stable tripod on the market) and a bit borderline for your gear (but it works perfectly: I use it with my A1 when I have to travel by plane).

Best

Vasco
That Libec is what I had in mind, do you think it will be dumb to use my camera on it? Also, any other fluid heads I can use on it that can support more weight? (no idea if any fluid head would work on any system)
Arif Syed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 05:31 PM   #212
Contributor

I have a Libec 38. I bought a 22 first but thought it was a little undersized for the camera and TA100 quick release plate, which probably makes my system as heavy as your setup with the light. It was difficult to make a smooth tilt when zoomed in very far. The Libec 38 seems to fit the camera just right. But it is significantly heavier than the 22. The 22 is probably one of the best in its price/weight range, but you have to be careful in using it, trying to avoid too much tilting and panning when zoomed in a lot. It has a little bounceback at the end of a pan too, which the 38 does not. However, with practice you can control that by squeezing the lock down gently at the end of a move. I sold my 22 but wish I had kept it because there are times when a lighter tripod would be handy--shooting interviews, for example, where the camera is static anyway. I could carry one of my 500LED lights and stand in one hand, the camera bag in the other, with the 22 strapped to the side. So if mobility and weight are significant for you, the 22 might be ideal.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 05:49 PM   #213
Trustee

Here's a recommendation from someone who's been there. I first bought a 22 and while light weight, it's nearly worthless for panning. It's not a true fluid head.

After months of frustration, I finally took the plunge on the Cartoni Focus. Hokey smokes! The difference was like night and day. Yes, the Focus is three times your budget but if you're doing this for money and you'll use it regularly you might want to save up for some good sticks. Other options are Vinton (more $ still), Manfrotto (not 503) or the higher end Libec which I think is about US$600.

My point is that if you buy the right one now, you won't have to purchase it later.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 07:46 PM   #214
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
Here's a recommendation from someone who's been there. I first bought a 22 and while light weight, it's nearly worthless for panning. It's not a true fluid head.
Yeah, of course: if you're panning while completely zoomed in, you're in trouble. But worthless? I beg to differ...

Quote:
After months of frustration, I finally took the plunge on the Cartoni Focus. Hokey smokes! The difference was like night and day. Yes, the Focus is three times your budget but if you're doing this for money and you'll use it regularly you might want to save up for some good sticks. Other options are Vinton (more $ still), Manfrotto (not 503) or the higher end Libec which I think is about US$600.

My point is that if you buy the right one now, you won't have to purchase it later.
Well, Tripp, this is true for the tripod, for the camera, the mikes (oh, especially the mikes!), the mixer, the light fixtures, the editing suite...: in a nutshell, for all the various toys we need and like to play and work with. Problem is, most of us have budget constraints. You can stretch your budget a little bit here, but then you're short over there. I don't know Arif's "budget flexibility", that's why I suggested the Libec 22. As Bill points out (and you seem to agree) the 38 might do as well, but it's slightly heavier on the credit card...

Best

Vasco
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:00 AM   #215
Trustee

Your setup may overload the LS-22 payload capacity (it's true useful capacity which will be less than it's listed capacity). If that's the case, IMO you would be wasting your money. You won't be able to balance the camera so tilts won't be fun and you may not be able to achieve smooth starts or ends of pans. My reasoning for saying it would be a waste of your money is you might be just as well off if you spend maybe $79 on a tripod at your local Best Buy.

Like so many others on this site, I've done the steps through tirpods. On to my third video tripod purchase (4th if you count the Velbon I started with). Luckily I didn't loose anything on each step up since I bought used and was able to sell them for what I bought them for. That would be my advise. If you have the time to wait, look for a good used set up. If you monitor the classifieds for this site as well as other video user sites you'll find several for sale each week. I've had and sold a Cartoni, Miller and am currently in the market for a Sachtler (or Vinten as a second choice).

Before you buy I would definetly try out the ones you're considering. Make sure the store has your camera with hopefully similar set up to put on the tripod. If you're buying a used one locally bring your camera when you look at it.

I would recommend trying to make the stretch to the Libec 38. It is close to your budget and it may full fill your needs. And, if it does not I think they hold their value a little better on the used market.
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:43 AM   #216
Regular Crew

Another Libec 38 user here. Quite happy with it.
Winfried Dobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 03:57 PM   #217
Major Player

Surprised(in a good way) at my Libec tripod

Got a good deal from Zotz(nice job Zotz) digital on a Libec 22 tripod. I'm surprised at how sturdy it is and what a nice job it does with my A-1. The Libec seems to handle my A-1 with very little effort.

I use my A-1 mostly for my hobby(wildlife) and grandpa cam.

Someday, I may need something heavier but for now with just the A-1...I'm pretty pleased.

By the way, I got lots of great advice on a tripod on this forum.

You are a great group to get help from.

Thank you all,

Rog Lee
Roger Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 03:59 PM   #218
Regular Crew

I was also recommended the Libec-22 on my budget and don't regret buying it. Nice tripod for the money.
Jim Duggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 04:17 PM   #219
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif Syed View Post
What do you think is a good tripod option for a XH-A1 with a NTG-2, and a LitePanel Micro LED light kit connected? My budget is about 500 dollars, and was thinking if a decent ($400-ish) tripod with a fluid head that can support a lot of weight (15-20, just to be safe) would be better option.
Arif,

I just bought the LS-22 and use the A-1 with the NTG-2. With that combo(and your budget..same as mine) I have been impressed.

If you want more capacity, you need to move up to the LS-38 which is closer to $650 delivered....or some similar tripod.

You might be surprised at what the LS-22 can do.

Best of luck. There's a lot more knowledgeable people here than me.

Rog Lee
Roger Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 12:18 AM   #220
Trustee

Garrett,

Just so I don't leave you hanging - I haven't had a chance to carry out any proper wind up/drift back tests yet, and it'll me over a month before I can get back to it, as holidays beckon!

I'll definitely look into this on my return.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 12:31 AM   #221
Trustee

Thanks Mike,

I had a chance to pick up used set up so I went ahead and got it. It should be here on Friday. I have tried the setup before just not under all situations. I do love the way the head feels so if I find issues witht he legs I'll just have to save for a differnt set.

Thanks and have a good holiday. I would still be interesed to know what you find when you get back.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 02:08 AM   #222
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
Mike,

I also am not sure how to say "Sachtler". I've heard all kinds of way. I've heard

Sack-la
Sock-ler
Satch-ler
and even saw one that said it was Zaht-la.

Garrett
Focusing on the most essential part of this interesting discussion <:-)>, the technically correct pronunciation is with the "S" soft (like a "Z") and the the "ch" halfway between a "sh" and a back-of-the-throat choking noise (technical, hey?).

A simpler version would be "Zaktler", or close to it.

There - I feel better now
Nick Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 02:27 AM   #223
Major Player

The failsafe way to find out correct pronunciation is to simply call them and listen to how they answer. If you missed it, just ask :)

I had to call Wacom many years ago for a tech issue with the graphics tablet I had and thought it would be an ideal time to actually find out the correct pronunciation. I always thought it was "whack-om", but it's "wah-com". There you have it :)
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #224
Major Player

Search Results - Tiffen.Com

I have used Davis and Sanford tripods with my XH-A1, and they have been amazing, very smooth, very supportive and sturdy, and very affordable
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #225
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Hill View Post
...more often than not I use a $60 Velbon VideoMate. Laugh if you want to...
I never understood that attitude. Getting good imagery and performance out of cheap gear is way more impressive to me than the same with expensive gear.

So I need a tripod for my HV30 that will also work for the Scarlet when it comes out. My requirements for a tripod are simple, and I think the same as everyone else's:

1. Doesn't wobble.
2. Tilts/pans smoothly with no bounce/drift back.
3. Lightweight would be nice.

This thread basically convinced me to get the Libec 38:

Libec | LS-38M(2A) Professional Tripod System | LS38M2A | B&H

But what's this about the VideoMate? Fluid head, no drifting or bouncing? Sturdy? Lightweight? At 1/10th the price? Why on Earth would I not go with the VideoMate?

Velbon | Videomate 607 Tripod with PH-368 Head and | VMATE607F

Seriously, can anyone tell me why I shouldn't? With all those fantastic reviews?

Josh
Joshua Csehak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads