Tripod suggestions for Canon XH A1 - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 13th, 2008, 12:45 PM   #241
Regular Crew

got a safari...

Hi jack,

thanks again for the advice jack but I got today the safari and I am quiet happy with it. I looked alot around on these and other forums and it seemed that the 701head is superlight but just not good enough for my xhA1 and wideangle mounted on it. same story for the legs,they seem solid but they dont have a levelingball. the safari does have carbon legs, has this leveling ball (not allways adjusting the legs all the time!) and the head is so far great...this weekend i will take it outdoor for a test and I will let you know..

guess a superlight fluidhead is not invented yet...

greetz
Terwingen Niels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 11:27 PM   #242
New Boot

I have just purchased a Canon XH-A1 w/ a Brevis MP1.1 35mm Adapter (with Flip) and rod supports...Any suggestions on a tripod that is going to carry this kind of weight and allow for smooth pans and tilts?
Alex Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 01:15 AM   #243
Inner Circle

Hi Alex..............

What did the camera and all attached bits cost you?

Fancy spending the same again on a support system?

Think you better read the whole of this thread and weep.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #244
Major Player

Gitzo GT253LVL for XH-A1?

Has anyone used the Gitzo GT253LVL tripod? I'm interested in how it would work with my XH-A1. I'm also interested in how well the G2180 and G2380 heads would work both with the tripod and with the XH-A1.

I occasionally use the Canon wide angle lens - does that make a difference for this tripod with either head?
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #245
Regular Crew

Tripod for my XH A1S?

Hi guys:

i need to buy a tripod for my XH A1S, any suggestions on which one ot get?

Also the base plate which connects the camera to the tripod do i have to buy it seperately or that will come with the tripod aswell

Thanks
Ansab Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:55 AM   #246
Regular Crew

Several people have been happy with the Libec LS38 tripod. You can get it with a mid-level spreader instead of a ground spreader also.

a helpful sponsor with a good price
LS38M(2A)
Christopher Neville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #247
Major Player

I use a miller DS 10 / solo and it's great, you get get super low and also it extends v.high. The head is pretty good too.

J
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #248
Major Player

I have the Libec LS38 and also used the LS21 I think its called
Philip Younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 01:35 AM   #249
Major Player

ok, so the libec38 seems to be a great budget tripod. But the review doesn't say if the head is removeable for use on other supports, eg a hi-hat. I often do low level photography and video, and often in areas where a there isn't enough room to use a tripod with it's legs splayed right out. So I'm considering a hi-hat and a tripod. But don't really want to end up getting with two heads. Can anyone enlighten me?

Currently I'm using a 50mm levelling head on the Manfrotto 190B that I use for stills photography. But it isn't quite man enough for the Canon XHa1, especially when panning. And that set-up doesn't go down anywhere near low enough (it's back to the fixed tripod head for that).
Old April 29th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #250
Regular Crew

is Miller 10 better then Bogen 503HDV/ with 351MVB2K legs ... ?

i am looking to get a tripod for my A1s too and at the moment using Manfrotto 503HDV, 351MVB2K with Canon XL2 and was thinking if i should get another Manfrotto or go for MIller 10... price is around $400 more for miller 10 .. is it better then monfrotto (the one i have), why should i spend another $400 and get Miller 10 over Bogen 503HDV/351MVB2K ?

This is the tripod i use current:

Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 351MVB2 Tripod | 503HDV,351MVB2K
Old April 29th, 2009, 09:29 AM   #251
Regular Crew

i use a 501hdv head on 755XB MDeVe legs. i like this setup cause it is a sturdy tripod yet i can walk around the field with it easily from spot to spot. depends on what your shooting i suppose. though i like the manfrotto cause i also attached the baseplate to my glidecam for easy switching between the two supports. not sure if the other one mentioned has those accessories. good luck!

dan
Daniel Caruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #252
Contributor

I have a Libec 38. Yes, it's a ball leveling head and you can put it on a hi-hat. I think it's 75 mm but don't have it at home to check right now. It's the only system I know about in that price range that doesn't do the dreaded "bounceback" at the end of a pan. It's adequate for the XH A!. I use a Lee Wide Angle bellows lens hood, which holds two 4x4 filters, for a mattebox (doesn't need rails) and usually have a Sennheiser wireless receiver mounted on the camera. Total package comes in around 7 pounds. The Libec38 handles that OK but any more weight and I'd want a bigger head. I bought mine from Tapeworks Texas, by the way (a sponsor on here). Great guys to deal with, and it was actually cheaper than B&H. I got the mid-level spreader for convenience (you can drop one leg down on a step, etc.).
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #253
Regular Crew

+1 on Bill's and others comments on the Libec. I have one and the decision was made based on quality construction, head smoothness, and the LACK of backlash - an issue with other units costing far more.

The Libec is often viewed as a budget unit - after some experience with it I now view it as one of the best bargains out there.
Rick Bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #254
Trustee

I have a Libec. The model number I don't recall right now. I also have a Cartoni Focus. Whilst the Cartoni is a better overall unit, the Libec is a great value. Here's what I like about the Libec:
- Very stiff legs
- Very light
- Very stable
- You can get smooth pans with it but stops and starts are tough and you really have to work at it
- No backlash. None. Nada. Zilch. The Cartoni cannot say that.

For what I do, I need the Cartoni. However, you'd do yourself a disservice if you didn't look at the great options that Libec offer.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 07:13 PM   #255
Regular Crew

Tripp - I first purchased a Cartoni but returned it the next morning due to the backlash. I'm not sure what good juju Libec does for the cost but it works :-)
Rick Bolton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads