Tripod suggestions for Canon XH A1 - Page 21 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 6th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #301
Inner Circle

Such a sticky should show why crummy tripods don't do the trick, and should also offer some alternatives.

For instance, one can keep an eye on craigslist and ebay for a deal. In my case, I got a Bogen 516 with 350 legs for just over $300. I use it for the 5D2. The one shortcoming is that the spring isn't adjustable. For short takes or pan-only, this isn't a problem. On the other hand, if you shoot long events, proper balance is a must.

Another option is to buy a reasonably sturdy photo tripod and lock the camera down, when that's appropriate. Then build yourself a shoulder rig, fit a loupe, and become a human tripod when you need camera motion. Sure, it's not as smooth as a real tripod, but it's smoother than pure handheld. And with $50, a saw, and a drill, you can build something as light and sturdy as a pro rig. It just won't be adjustable without tools, won't have rails, and won't impress gear heads. If you use a wide enough lens, and develop some skills, the audience will never know.

You can also get a Steady Tracker for not a lot of money. It's not as smooth as a $5k+ Steadicam, but, again, it beats handheld, as well as a sticky, shaky tripod shot.

For a shooter who doesn't have $1,000+ for a new, professional video tripod, these are just a few ideas for how to improve one's shooting while saving or scrounging for a worthy head and sticks.

One silly option would be to use a crummy tripod and use After Effects or equivalent to de-shake the image. If somebody is more interested in video effects than great shooting, this could get somebody with more time than money started.

Any other out of the box ideas?
Old December 7th, 2009, 02:14 AM   #302
New Boot

I would probably shock every one of you with the tripod I'm currently using on my camera. The only thing I know about it is the brand is 'hollywood' and I'm pretty sure its only intended to be for a light still camera. I've been looking around for a few days now and I still havnt really come up with anything that stands out. I've found a few I'm really looking at but I cant figure out which would be the best. I've also bumped my price range to around $150, $175 max. I'm still just a student film-maker, a few minor bumps during a pan wont bother me. I'm sure everyone here started out with a limited budget and limited gear while they were still learning everything so you must know a little of the situation I'm in..

I just saw this B&H kit a few minutes ago and it looks pretty good.
Davis & Sanford | Pro Vista Tripod with FM 18 | PROVISTA7518B

From what I know/read about tripods, that kit looks like a pretty good deal. The tripod it self looks very sturdy (able to hold 18pounds!), and it also looks like the head can be tilted as well to help level it. It almost seems like more than what I need, but $160 + free shipping is a pretty good deal I think...

This is a random tripod head I found. Its fluid-filled which from what I've read is what you want in a head. It also gets some good reviews, but thats about the only thing I know about it. I still havnt found any legs/sticks to go with it.
Slik | 504QF-II Video Head | 618-504 | B&H Photo Video
Steven Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #303
Regular Crew

Oh.... Steve

I really don't understand why you would join this forum and ask a legitimate question, only to disregard all the advice that is being given to you by industry pros and skilled camera operators. This thread is 21 pages long as of right now, and the consensus is that cheap tripods and heads don't produce good footage.

You have mentioned that you are a film student and maybe that means that your eye is not developed yet, and you can't tell the difference between footage shot on a cheap-o tripod and a pro level one. If that is the case then one day you will be able to tell the difference and you will wish you would have gotten a quality piece of equipment. Also, as a film student you should understand that there is a lot you don't know, therefore listening to the advice of the pros on this forum would probably be a good idea.

Really, if money is that tight, go to the bank and borrow 500-1,000, stretch out the payments to where you can comfortably make the payments.

I find myself in the same place as you, needing a tripod/head combo but can't afford it. However, instead of wasting my money on a cheap set up, I'm saving until I can afford the one I want. In the mean time I'm borrowing a tripod form my local cable station, which may be something for you to look into.
J. Chris Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2009, 01:03 PM   #304
Major Player

A good student should be able to learn from his or her mistakes, learn to detect true knowlege, based on experience, and learn to accept and use advice based on true knowledge.

As best I can tell, there is no learning curve going on at all. None.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 11:00 AM   #305
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D. George View Post
A good student should be able to learn from his or her mistakes, learn to detect true knowlege, based on experience, and learn to accept and use advice based on true knowledge.

As best I can tell, there is no learning curve going on at all. None.
I am guessing that you are referring to Steven?
J. Chris Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 07:13 PM   #306
Major Player

Yes, That is correct.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 09:39 AM   #307
Major Player

i have a Libec 38 for my XH-A1 and i bought this for my HV30:

Velbon | Sherpa 538 3-Section Tripod | SHERPA538 | B&H Photo

it is pretty smooth for the HV30 with a WA and mic, and if you use a rubber band with the XH-A1, 1 in 5 pans can be 'smooth'. i would use it if i had unlimited takes and/or was climbing a mountain (it is pretty portable). or if i was a broke film student as it would hold its use as a b-camera tripod after you buy the Libec or other...
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #308
Inner Circle

Good evening,

I went through the tripod ladder like many others: velbon, Sanford&Davis, 30 year ol miller f head placed on manfrotto legs, Gitzo 1380, and vinten vision 6.

To be honest, perhaps the best bang for the buck is the gitzo 1380, and you can buy just the head if you want.

I prefer the vision 6 for my bigger camera and the gitzo for my smaller cameras. The 1380 would be perfect for an xha1!!! and if you go bigger you just change the spring and you are in business.

the old miller head was really good for my gl2 when I had it. you can get these on ebay pretty darn cheap and it is a huge step forward if you do not have much money. They are flat bottomed so I put a manfrotto half ball under it and it was just fine.

Yes a 9000 dollar sactler would be better.
Old April 14th, 2010, 09:48 AM   #309
Regular Crew

Please recommend Sticks & head for Canon XH-A1

Hi guys. Budget may not be an option. Can you recommend a whole tripod system for a Canon XH-A1? (It will probably be the newer Canon XF305)

Can you maybe give me both high-end and mid-level price options?
Bob Drummond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #310
Trustee

Hi Bob,

(Not sure if my vision of high- and mid-level pricing is the same as yours!)

- High end: Vinten 3AS3
3AS is more than fine for the XH-A1 - I don't know the weight of the XH305).
Cost: $2400-ish for one with carbon fibre legs

- Mid level: Sachtler FSB-4 or FSB-6
FSB-4 is good for the XH-A1, the FS-6 gives you more wiggle room for the future if your rig gets bigger
Cost: $1600 for a carbon fibre tripod version of the FSB-6. You can get an aluminum version of this with an FSB-4 head for $800.

Plenty of info about these tripods on this forum if you search, and there's a review of the Vinten 3AS by Chris Soucy available in the main DV Info site.
Old April 14th, 2010, 02:56 PM   #311
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

Bob, Here are a few options I would suggest

Vinten V3AS-AP1F Vision Pozi-Loc Aluminum Tripod System (Black) includes Vision 3AS Fluid Head, Single Stage Aluminum Tripod, Floor Spreader, Soft Case – Supports 11 lbs
Tapeworks Pricing: $1,799.00

Sachtler 0472 FSB-6 Aluminum Tripod System - consists of: FSB-6 Fluid Head, 1-Stage Tripod, Mid-Level Spreader and Padded Case - Supports 13.2 lbs
Tapeworks Pricing: $1,345.00

Libec just introduced the new RS250 system at NAB this week!
Libec-RS SERIES-What's RS
I have been able to test the RS450 and RS350 Systems and I put them in the same category/quality as Vinten, Sachtler, Miller etc....even though I have not seen or tested the new 250 sys yet, the specs show that it will match up nicely.

Libec RS-250M RS Series tripod sytem with mid level spreader consists of RH25 fluid head, RT30B 2-Stage Tripod, BR-2B mid level spreader, FP-2B foot pads and RC-30 case - Supports 13.2 lbs
Tapeworks Pricing: $1,099.00

On lower Range tripods, you may be interested in the following

Libec LS38M(2A) Professional Tripod System with Mid-Level Spreader: Libec H38 Professional Fluid Head- 75mm Bowl, PH-3 Pan handle, 8kg/ 17.5LBS Capacity. Includes H38 Head /T72 Tripod /BR-3S Mid Spreader /FP-2 Foot Pads /TC-70 Carrying Case
Tapeworks April Promotional Price: $549.00 (normally $599)

Manfrotto 503HDV,351MVB2K Professional Tripod System - Includes 503 HDV Head, Pan Handle, 351MVB2 Tripod, 3 x Rubber Feet, Mid-Level Spreader and Padded Bag
Tapeworks Price: $649.00

Contact Tapeworks Texas Inc toll free 866-827-3489 and ask for me and I will be glad to discuss the differences, pro's and con's of each.

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
Tapeworks Texas Inc - DVinfo Sponser
tapeworksscott@sbcglobal.net
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 05:22 PM   #312
Inner Circle

If I may................

add my 2 cents worth?

Scott has posted quite an interesting list, a little bit like the descent into hell in some ways.

I think it fair to say that that line up defines the old saying "you get what you pay for" wonderfully.

Sticking with the leader of the pack, the Vinten has something that none of the other offerings can touch - the Perfect Balance system (even if it is a total misnomer, it's actually a Perfect Counterbalance system, but we won't quibble).

Not greatly appreciated by less experienced users but a gift from heaven itself if you know what it does, it is worth an extra $500 just for that.

Basically, it means that no matter how much you pimp/ accessorise or modify your camera (within certain limits) you can get gram accurate counterbalance every time.

If you've never used a rig which can offer it, you haven't lived. Really.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 12:27 AM   #313
Regular Crew

Vinten, Sachtler, now Libec

Chris,

I read your review of the Vinten 3AS a while ago and haven't forgotten how passionate you are about its greatness. When I've got the cash, it will be a tough decision between that and the Sachtler FSB6. (I have three Canons: 5D Mark II, T2i, and XHA1.)

Now Libec seems to be adding another choice. And they, too, seem to have gone to school on Vinten with a feature they call, yup, "Counterbalance."

Libec-RS SERIES-Counterbalance

I've never had the chance to sample the Vinten or this new Libec, but they sure look good on paper -- uh, computer monitor.

Thanks to you for all the effort and insight you put into your review!
Greg Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 04:16 AM   #314
Inner Circle

Hi Greg.................

Thank you for your kind words, greatly appreciated. The review was bloody hard work, can't imagine why anyone would do it as a living. Coal mining seems slightly easier, if considerably more dangerous.

Well, bugger me, they've gone and done it.

Didn't think it would take long, and it hasn't.

There really wasn't much of an answer to it but total emulation in one form or other, so it was a forgone conclusion.

I look forward to some forward thinking person sending me a sample for a review (HINT) but won't hold my breath.

Now, as to your camera selection and the support thereof: (you didn't mention what you're using currently)

What if someone could offer you a head that could perfectly counterbalance each one, gram perfect,

Same head. Might need to change a spring, but still dial up perfect balance every time, with every camera you own?,

Might just happen, stay tuned. I'm working on it.

CS

PS: Thanks again for the kind words.
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 10:28 AM   #315
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

First, let me add that the options I provided was based on not knowing budget and experience from the user. Yes, most definitely, "you get what you pay for"....This is why I added that Bob could contact me so I could explain the differences of a $600 tripod system vs a Vinten $2K system. The Vinten Vision Series is no doubt a spectacular piece of equipment, it's just that not everybody can afford one, nor do they know why there is such a dramatic cost difference. Bob mentioned an XHA1S and states "probably the newer XF305." Well, if it is the XHA1S, most of the time individuals do not want or have the budget to spend half the price they spent on the camcorder on a tripod. If it will be the newer XF305, then he hopefully has a bigger budget for a better tripod....and accessories. Additional questions come into play...Mattebox? LCD Monitor? Teleprompter?.....how many accessories are going to be added which in turn increase the maximum weight allowance? All of those questions are important to the type of head that will be required, how many steps do they want and or need on the drag settings for pan and tilt?

I have been able to test the Libec RS Series, including the 350 and 450 systems. Addionally, I have had various TV Stringers here in the Houston TX area test them and they have been impressed with the smoothness of these new Libec heads. The counterbalance has been noted by end-users that have tested the RS Series to be just as good as Vinten's....pricing being alot better! I recently sent a demo/loaner RH45 head to a client/cinematographer who will be writing an article/review which I will post a link to when available. I will give you "heads" up that after speaking with him, Libec will be pleased with his write up. His review however is with the RH45 and not the RH25 that I quoted. However, All of the RS Series is based on the same technollogy, variances depending on the maximum weight allowance. If you find the "perfect head" that will be adjustable for any camera/weight that will be put on it.....please let us know! I would love to find it as well!

Scott Cantrell
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads